Thread: There is one team quietly making some noise!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The Cubs!!

Picked up Derek Lee

and now LaTroy Hawkins

Hawkins in a closer role is SCARY!!

Early JonEJet pick for National League Champs

Hall Of Fame
    Agree. Those are some nice pick ups to an already talented team. The Giants also made a nice addition in AJ Pierzinski or whatever it is. Arizona will be one to watch in a year or 2 and Florida will still be very strong. Both leagues look strong, granted it is only December!

So who will the yanks add? Sheff? Colon? Vlad? Vasquez? You got a nice pick up in Flash. He was awesome for the Sox about 4 years ago. If he stays healthy he'll be a solid set up man. Sheff is one of my favs and I don't look forward to seeing him in pinstripes. Vasquez I'd love to see in Fenway.

All League
    Hawkins was scary in the closer's role... for the Twins. Remember him in 2001? Brutal. Either Gammons or someone else quoted a scout saying that Hawkins would not be good in a big city or back in the closer's role. We'll see.

Nice move by Philly today, picking up Eric Milton.

Cubbies had Joe Browski (sp?) in th ecloser's role last season. He was OK, not great. Hawkins real value is as a set up guy. I believe the Cubbies keep Hawkins in that role, with Browski and maybe Alfonseca, if he's healthy, in the closer's chair.

I like the Milton deal for the Phils. I'm surprised the Yanks didn't make a strong push for this lefty, who is a gamble, but when healthy, has the goods to be a super pitcher. Then again, Vasquez piles up the innings and K's. He will also have a solid new bullpen behing him if he comes to the Yanks.

Gordon is a great pickup. Forget his age, he's one guy who will go on for another 2-3 years easily. The real key is Quantrill, if the reports are true that the Yanks signed him. He's a bulldog, who pitches long or short relief. I have liked him for years. Quantrill, Heredia, Gordon and Karsay, with Gabe White on the horizon, llets Mariano stay as a 1 inning guy, which will keep him strong. The 'Pen is shaping up as a solid part of the team for 2004. Pettite and 1 more starter makes the rotation excellent. Sheffield makes the lineup as good as any, barring injury, in the bigs.

Bring on 2004!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I really hope this Vazquez deal doesn't go down!!!

The reason is that giving up Nick johnson is WAY TOO MUCH!!

Nick should be a staple for the Yanks

Then again...we'll probably just sign him bask in a few years!!

Still don't like it!!

You're 100% correct about Nick Johnson. Unless the Yanks know that he will always be injury prone, I want to keep him. He's one of those consuistent .400 OBP guys, who has some pop and will be a .300 hitter consistently, starting real soon. And he's only 25!! It's not like we are loaded with youth.

Also, Giambi is slowly breaking down, and will be a full time DH in the next year or 2. Nick is a solid fielder, and the perfect guy to take over that position full time.

Maybe the Expos will get scared off when they hear that he's arbitration eligible this year. Probably not, though. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Can someone please tell me a little on Paul Quantrill

I remember him as a sh*tbum for the sawx in the mid 90's?

What has he done lately?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Don't discount the Blue Jays either. They're getting stronger. Adding Lilly and Hentgen were very good moves on their part. For the 2nd half of last season, there weren't many pitchers that performed better than they did. Adding them to Halladay and Lidle is a pretty good 1-4.

The Cubs should make amove for A-Rod. They have plenty of arms to wave at the Rangers.

Originally posted by PFSIKH@Dec 6 2003, 09:11 AM
    The Cubs should make amove for A-Rod. They have plenty of arms to wave at the Rangers.
    Arod would mount a serious challenge to Bonds single-season HR record in Wrigley

That park is a bandbox ... to all fields

And Arod hits the ball for power ... to all fields

Maxman
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Dec 4 2003, 10:31 AM
    I really hope this Vazquez deal doesn't go down!!!

The reason is that giving up Nick johnson is WAY TOO MUCH!!

Then again...we'll probably just sign him bask in a few years!!

Still don't like it!!
    Vazquex is young, throws real hard and has good control. He seems to be a real solid citizen and a hard working guy. These things are a crapshoot but I make this trade 10 times out of 10.

I think Nick Johnson has a lot of talent and I love his approach to the game. But he has been injured damn near every year. Remember he missed almost a full season in the minors as well. The thing that concerns me about him most is he always hurts his wrist. He goes on the DL and misses 60+ days and they don't know why. Something is not right there.

Real good guy though, a throwback.

Besides Mattingly is already in uniform. He can still play some late inning defense!

Originally posted by Maxman+Dec 7 2003, 02:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Dec 7 2003, 02:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet@Dec 4 2003, 10:31 AM
    I really hope this Vazquez deal doesn&#39;t go down&#33;&#33;&#33;

The reason is that giving up Nick johnson is WAY TOO MUCH&#33;&#33;

Then again...we&#39;ll probably just sign him bask in a few years&#33;&#33;

Still don&#39;t like it&#33;&#33;
    Vazquex is young, throws real hard and has good control. He seems to be a real solid citizen and a hard working guy. These things are a crapshoot but I make this trade 10 times out of 10.

I think Nick Johnson has a lot of talent and I love his approach to the game. But he has been injured damn near every year. Remember he missed almost a full season in the minors as well. The thing that concerns me about him most is he always hurts his wrist. He goes on the DL and misses 60+ days and they don&#39;t know why. Something is not right there.

Real good guy though, a throwback.

Besides Mattingly is already in uniform. He can still play some late inning defense&#33; [/b][/quote]
    You&#39;re right about Vasquez. I believe that he will get a big contract from the Yanks, although he standard operating procedure for Mr. Steinbrenner is to let them play out their contracyts, become free agents, then re-sign them for more &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036;&#036; then it otherwise would have cost. He&#39;s not in the same class as Clemens, but he has several different pitches, and can throw them all for strikes. A solid, young fireballer.

Johnson will blossom if he ever gets to play a full season. If he has a breakout season, he will be available for trade next season, so maybe we can get him back.

Damn ... I thought you&#39;d be citing the Phillies, making even quitier noise (is that an oxymoron) with some smart pitcher deals. They grabbed Milton for a rebound season to add to 4 solid starters (if Millwood&#39;s arbitration goes OK, that is), and signed TWO bullpen studs in Wagner and now Worrell.

The only thing that kept the Phils out of the playoffs last year was a horrid bullpen helmed by 50 year old burnout Mesa, injuries to David Bell, and Pat Burrell having one of the most bizarre snakebitten seasons imaginable.

I&#39;m excited for the first time in years (even last year with the Thome/Bell/Milwood signings I was cynical), and we&#39;re opening a sweet new ballpark to ring in this season. No way the Braves win that division again, and we all know what happens to the Cubs in the playoffs no matter how good they are.

I think the Phils should be the favorites in the NL East right now, but................

The Braves always do something that gets them going. This year they have a large mountain to climb, to replace Lopez and Sheffield, as well as Maddox. But, don&#39;t expect them to lie low and fade away. Watch out for a lightning strike, where they trade and/or sign a couple of guys in a 2 day span.

I am not convinced that the Marlins will be back there. They kept Lowell and Castilla, but looks like they&#39;re losing Pudge and Urbina, and already traded Lee. So, we&#39;ll see.