Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Your Favorite ethnic food

Veteran
    Mine is stuffed cabbage...Its called Holubci in Ukranian....

JAPANESE!!! sushi OF COURSE

Breast of chicken and chip from the local chippie. :P
    Anybody know of a good one in NYC?

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jesper stromblad rules[/i]@Dec 10 2003, 02:58 PM
    [b] Breast of chicken and chip from the local chippie. :P
    Anybody know of a good one in NYC? [/b][/quote]
    There's a great fish & chips place in the Village, called "A Salt & Battery", they've even got deep-fried Mars bars (British Mars bars of course, no peanuts).

Thanks, have to take a spin down there soon.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Not for anything guys, but what the heck R we going to do come off season if U R posting all these "off season topics" now? :huh: :P :lol:

OK, I like a good gyro from a real greek diner. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Italian....And American!!! ;)

Arroz con pollo.

I discovered Thai food about 2 years ago...havent touched chinese food since

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Shadetree[/i]@Dec 10 2003, 02:10 PM
    [b]I discovered Thai food about 2 years ago...havent touched chinese food since[/b][/quote]
    Isn't most Thai food really "Hot"?? My Sister tried a recipe that
    set her blender on Fire!! :lol:

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Shadetree[/i]@Dec 10 2003, 03:10 PM
    [b] I discovered Thai food about 2 years ago...havent touched chinese food since [/b][/quote]
    yes thai food great,have u had Ok Kai Grob?

ahhhh where to begin . food and music. food and music. its all good

Indian : keema mataar, nan bread, vegetable samosa, red onion chutney
    Croatian : gulash cooked with the finest olive oil available on earth washed down with some rokia
    Brasilian : farofa and rice with all the great meats at a chuhaschuria
    German : Ive had some great eats in Germany. whoever says german food is bland is nuts they must mean engish food
    middle eastern babaganush and the like
    Jamaican jerk chicken yummy

hey where our fancy friend terry bradway? im sure he could dazzle us with some tasty ventures

I stick to American food myself but having half my family being Armenian I sure do love that Baklava! MMMMMM

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by dickkotite[/i]@Dec 10 2003, 03:18 PM
    [b] ahhhh where to begin . food and music. food and music. its all good

Croatian : gulash cooked with the finest olive oil available on earth washed down with some rokia
    German : Ive had some great eats in Germany. whoever says german food is bland is nuts they must mean engish food

hey where our fancy friend terry bradway? im sure he could dazzle us with some tasty ventures [/b][/quote]
    DK, they are roastin my hazels over tryin to talk food/music/gastrics etc. Anything other than 'Herm - Part 3"

If you like Indian food you might enjoy this link:
    [url=http://www.j-tull.com/musicians/iananderson/indian.html]http://www.j-tull.com/musicians/iananderso...son/indian.html[/url]

[quote][i]Originally posted by Limolady[/i]@Dec 10 2003, 08:07 PM
    [b]Not for anything guys, but what the heck R we going to do come off season if U R posting all these "off season topics" now? :huh: :P :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Oh, I'm sure we'll come up with something....
    [img]http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/realhappy/jump.gif[/img]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by dickkotite[/i]@Dec 10 2003, 02:18 PM
    [b] ahhhh where to begin . food and music. food and music. its all good

hey where our fancy friend terry bradway? im sure he could dazzle us with some tasty ventures [/b][/quote]
    A International Gourmet is our Man DK!! Maybe MBG will let you
    try a Vida on Rye!! :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    [color=green][b]Potato Lakas with fresh Zimmis (a chutney made with carrots, raisins & apples mixed with honey).

only deal is that because I'm on a modified Zone Diet - Potatoes are off my list! :(

This is going to be one rough Chanukah![/b][/color]

Veteran
    Taco Bell. Chicken Grilled Stuffeed Burito the key is ask for extra Baja Sauce

[quote][i]Originally posted by southernjet+Dec 10 2003, 03:16 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (southernjet @ Dec 10 2003, 03:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Shadetree[/i]@Dec 10 2003, 03:10 PM
    [b] I discovered Thai food about 2 years ago...havent touched chinese food since [/b][/quote]
    yes thai food great,have u had Ok Kai Grob? [/b][/quote]
    I forget many of the names of dishes....I&#39;m not familiar with Kai Grob...I think Mei Grob? is a sweet, crunchy appetizer w/ shrimp? My wife likes sweet stuff...I go for the HOTHOT..

If anyone is on L.I.....there&#39;s a ZAGAT rated place in Bayshore/Brightwaters called Siam Lotus....service is always above average(the owner is always present). Many Thai dishes are sweet as opposed to hot if you are afraid of the hot stuff, to answer another question.

Another great thread. I like food from all over the world. I&#39;ll sort &#39;em by favorite cuisine and list favorites for each:

0. Cajun and Creole -- the one true American cuisine that holds up worldwide, besides gigantic pancake, omelet, and homefry breakfasts anyway. :lol: all-day beans and rice, oysters rockefeller, andoille sausage, shrimp or crawfish bisque, and of course Jambalaya (Jet?).

1. Indian -- best "East Meets West" cuisine out there. Paneer in spinach sauce, Chicken Makhiani, lamb or goat curry, malai kofta balls, slow-cooked ghee-glazed dal over basamati rice, any vegetable fried in chickpea batter, nan, the obligatory tandoori bbq meats, and that great tomato-onion chutney (good call dickkotite)

2. Japanese -- the most elegant anal-retentive food on the planet. Second to Indian mostly because I like it spicy and I can cook Indian at home better. Sushi, miso and cucumber sticky rice, dumplings, and anything made with raw beef.

3. Mexican -- best comfort food in the world. tamales, homemade carnitas from pork shoulder cuts, any meat in dark mole sauce, homemade tortillas, carne asada.

4. "Middle Eastern" -- bit of an unfair catch-all, but specifically Morrocan, Turkish, Tunisian, and Egypt/Jordan/Lebanese foods. Homemade falafel, any stuffed dolmas (grape leaves), olive salads, kibbeh balls, lamb ragouts in couscous, yogurt sauces, and chickens roasted in clay pots stuffed with mint and fruit.

5. Italian (Northern, Tuscan) -- I was raised on bad Sicilian-American food, and while I&#39;m all for the occasional ragu I much prefer the lighter Tuscan, Milanese, and Florentine stuff. Bread soup, artichoke antipasta, chestnut crepes stuffed with anything, seafood and squid ink risotto, and anything with fresh porcini or truffles in it.

6. Thai -- used to dislike it, but since I live in a place with 30 Thai restaurants I&#39;ve come around... duck in panang curry, purple sticky rice with mung bean paste, papaya salad, vermicelli and ground meat steamed in banana leaf (mok gai), and of course the pad thai.

7. Korean -- recent fascination. Bibimbap, spicy cabbage and pork soup, kimchi, and bbq spareribs korean style.

8. Chinese -- ubiquitous and another thing I grew up on and god sick of. But I&#39;ve been rediscovering it with some new dishes recently. I really love salt-baked fish, any szechuan seafood dish, and pretty much any weird dim sum pastry.

I&#39;ve been getting into more latin American food like Cuban, Brazilian, etc. lately as well, but haven&#39;t developed real strong favorites. Eastern European I can take or leave. I love a good homemade beef goulash, but there aren&#39;t many restaurants catering to the cuisines as a whole.