Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh Blow Sux sign Foulke

Hall Of Fame
    Saturday, December 13, 2003

ESPN.com news services

NEW ORLEANS -- Free-agent closer Keith Foulke signed with the Boston Red Sox on Saturday, choosing to join the escalating arms race in the AL East rather than re-sign with Oakland.

Foulke confirmed the signing in an interview with ESPNEWS. The deal is for $21 million over three years, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

The Red Sox would not confirm the agreement at baseball's winter meetings, but they didn't deny it, either. The All-Star reliever was scheduled to take a physical to complete his deal, a source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity.

Foulke, who led the AL with 43 saves this year, joins starter Curt Schilling as top pitchers acquired by the Red Sox since the season ended. Boston also is talking about getting AL MVP Alex Rodriguez from Texas in a trade for Manny Ramirez.

The Red Sox, without a World Series championship since 1918, blew a late lead and lost Game 7 of the AL championship series to the New York Yankees in 11 innings.

The Yankees went on to lose the World Series to Florida, and have since traded for pitcher Javier Vazquez and neared deals to get Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield and Kenny Lofton.

As Foulke decided between the Red Sox and the Athletics, he was particularly interested in hearing about Boston's history and its ongoing quest to win a championship.

The 31-year-old righty was 9-1 with 43 saves and a 2.08 ERA for Oakland last season and was an AL All-Star.

Foulke made $6 million last season. The Red Sox were willing to top that, a year after then-new general manager Theo Epstein tried to build his bullpen without a full-time closer.

"We're not pursuing Keith because he's a closer. We're pursuing him because he's one of the best pitchers in the game," Epstein said earlier this week.

Foulke has 143 saves in a career that started with San Francisco in 1997. He was traded to the Chicago White Sox later that season and went to Oakland for the 2003 season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

No problem ... just one more chump who's gonna experience the agony of defeat come October ... RED SOX STYLE {i.e. As Painful as it Gets}

Foulke the Yankees.

But seriously ... the Yankees & Bosox have taken this rivalry to a whole nother level

I have never seen anything like this off-season ... these teams have gone nuclear

This is like two heavyweight fighters just standing in the middle of the ring and exchanging haymakers ... neither man taking a backward step

It's almost comical

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Dec 13 2003, 04:29 PM
    Foulke the Yankees.
    Another reason the Sawx are Evil Empire Jr.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 13 2003, 04:30 PM
    But seriously ... the Yankees & Bosox have taken this rivalry to a whole nother level

I have never seen anything like this off-season ... these teams have gone nuclear

This is like two heavyweight fighters just standing in the middle of the ring and exchanging haymakers ... neither man taking a backward step

It's almost comical
    We'll get the finale KO

Vlad and Tejada baby!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'd say we're minutes from the first

Foulke is better than Mo thread!! :lol:

I love the fact that so many media types will now be jumping on the Red Sox bandwagon

This Boston team will be expected to win ... their fans will have huge expectations and the media will label them THE TEAM TO BEAT

Of course this will only make it that much more painful when the Yankees upend them again

Veteran
    faulke is a quality closer in a very unconventional way.

the guys bread and butter pitch is a change up that has serious movement.
    he ran into trouble his last season with the white sox when teams just sat on the change waiting for it.

Hall Of Fame
    Screw the other 28 teams. Let's just have 162-game series to determine home field in the 9-game World Series between the Sawx and the Yanks. This is like the Cold War .

Its the 80's all over again. Big George is running the show and sending the Yanks into the ****ta. We have boy genuis Theo Epstein, the best GM in baseball in only his second year.

The Yankees aren't getting either Vlad or Tejada! Vlad doesn't want to come to NY and where would the Yanks play Tejada, 2b? I don't think he is going to change positions for you guys, sorry.

Banned
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 13 2003, 04:30 PM

It's almost comical
    Its not really an arms race because with what the Red Sox have done, blows the Yankees aquisitions away.

And with all that the Sox will still find a way to choke. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by shawn306@Dec 13 2003, 10:24 PM
    And with all that the Sox will still find a way to choke. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    And there it is....The truth of the whole matter.

It will end at some point, just like the Jets not winning a Super Bowl since 1969.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by CurtisSquared@Dec 13 2003, 10:28 PM
    It will end at some point, just like the Jets not winning a Super Bowl since 1969.
    So will the world.

Veteran
    Originally posted by Bugg@Dec 13 2003, 05:27 PM
    Screw the other 28 teams. Let's just have 162-game series to determine home field in the 9-game World Series between the Sawx and the Yanks. This is like the Cold War .
    LMAO................I second that motion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

No one over reacts like Yankee fans.

Schilling and Foulke signed......ARod on the way.......oh yeah, I've already got my Christmas gifts.

How long before Grinch Steinbrenner announces he's signed Sheffield, Vlad, Tejada, and half of the Japanese All Star team?

You notice RS that Yanks are trying to fall back on the curse as hope they will beat out the Sox. Now, that is funny.