Thread: One more piece of evidence that the media...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

AP Title: [b]Bush Says Saddam Deserves to Be Executed [/b]

AP Story:

WASHINGTON - Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) deserves the "ultimate penalty" but it will be up to the people of Iraq (news - web sites) to decide whether he should be executed, President Bush (news - web sites) said Tuesday.

The president also said that Iraqis are "capable of conducting the trial themselves."

Bush made his comments in an interview with ABC News' Diane Sawyer.

The president, at a news conference on Monday, had said he had his own opinions about Saddam's fate but he declined to spell them out. He elaborated in the interview Tuesday, and the network released a partial transcript of his remarks.

"I think he ought to receive the ultimate penalty ... for what he has done to his people," the president said. "I mean, he is a torturer, a murderer, they had rape rooms. This is a disgusting tyrant who deserves justice, the ultimate justice. But that will be decided not by the president of the United States but by the citizens of Iraq in one form or another."

Link: [url=http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=2&u=/ap/20031216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/bush_saddam_1]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...a/bush_saddam_1[/url]

Where in the story is the President quoted as saying he should be executed?

Banned
    What do you think Bush means when he say's Saddam deserves the "ultimate penalty"? Geesh!!

Liberal media? Give me a break!

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Dec 16 2003, 05:14 PM
    [b] What do you think Bush means when he say's Saddam deserves the "ultimate penalty"? Geesh!!

Liberal media? Give me a break! [/b][/quote]
    too bad u couldnt put leibermans policies with kerrys bio......
    u might actually have a chance........

primary voters are much more liberal than the typical democratic voter on election day,,,need a centrist (like clinton was),,or they will suffer another mcgovern/dukakis meltdown..............

All Pro
    A bigger, clearer example is the coverage Sunday by CNN about the capture of Saddam. They were the last network to admit Saddam was captured.

Instead of showing video of Saddam's attrocities, during the coverage, they kept looping the video of Rummy shaking Saddams hand in the 80's.

Didn't show the gassing of the Kurds video, didn't show the POWs in the first Gulf War, didn't show the video of Saddam purging his cabinet in that infamous b&w video, didn't show the torture of Iraqis at the hands of the Baathists, didn't dig up the video of Chirac shaking the dictators hands, didn't show the multitudes of journalists meeting and greeting Saddam...just pictures of Rummy, looped over and over.

Now that is blatant liberal bias.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Dec 16 2003, 05:14 PM
    [b] What do you think Bush means when he say's Saddam deserves the "ultimate penalty"? Geesh!!

Liberal media? Give me a break! [/b][/quote]
    Along those lines howard dean has said he will "regulate the media" if he is elected, which he has no chance of (even admitted today by a democratic senator).

I guess that means it will be goverment controlled radio and TV huh?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb[/i]@Dec 16 2003, 06:34 PM
    [b]A bigger, clearer example is the coverage Sunday by CNN about the capture of Saddam. They were the last network to admit Saddam was captured.

Instead of showing video of Saddam's attrocities, during the coverage, they kept looping the video of Rummy shaking Saddams hand in the 80's.

Didn't show the gassing of the Kurds video, didn't show the POWs in the first Gulf War, didn't show the video of Saddam purging his cabinet in that infamous b&w video, didn't show the torture of Iraqis at the hands of the Baathists, didn't dig up the video of Chirac shaking the dictators hands, didn't show the multitudes of journalists meeting and greeting Saddam...just pictures of Rummy, looped over and over.

Now that is blatant liberal bias.[/b][/quote]
    Someone said Dan Rather-Biased was the last one out of bed to get on the air with the story.

But just to run with your though on the [b]C[/b]rescent [b]N[/b]ews [b]N[/b]etwork, aka American Al Jazeera, I was watching and getting ready to go to the Jets game at the same time and that terrorist sympathizer Nic Robertson was reporting that "the reaction of Iraqi's to the capture of Sadaam Hussien has been rather muddled, they don't seem to care as they still don't have electricity, water, etc". One minute later they show Iraqi's running through the streets dancing and waving American flags, many homemade.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Dec 16 2003, 08:41 PM
    [b] But just to run with your though on the [b]C[/b]rescent [b]N[/b]ews [b]N[/b]etwork, aka American Al Jazeera, I was watching and getting ready to go to the Jets game at the same time and that terrorist sympathizer Nic Robertson was reporting that "the reaction of Iraqi's to the capture of Sadaam Hussien has been rather muddled, they don't seem to care as they still don't have electricity, water, etc". One minute later they show Iraqi's running through the streets dancing and waving American flags, many homemade. [/b][/quote]
    What.....you expected something different from CNN ?.

What really gets me is not that most of the media has a strong and unchecked liberal ideology, it's that they refuse to admit it trying to sell us on the fact that they play it straight and do not allow their personal feelings to seep into the coverage.

Goldberg's book...Bias...should be required reading for anyone who watches nightly news or reads major newspapers because it illustrates how you are not getting news but are getting someones personal and slanted opinion of how they interpret the news and 99 % of the time it's slanted to the left and intended to sway your opinion of events to that ideology, the fact that Bias was written by someone who says he voted for McGovern twice should give it enough credibility for the average liberal to consider that their may indeed be a problem with what is going on.

But my own personal favorite liberal journalistic moment was recently when some N.P.R liberal host was interviewing Bill O'Reilly about his book and was vigorously pointing out every little perceived inconsistancy and trying her best to make him come off like a jackass...when...he turned the tables on her and whipped out a transcript of her polite and lighthearted interview with Al Franken and he asked if she thought it was fair to treat him so harshly while when Franken was on she gushed over him and didn't challenge any of his books assertations.

She stated it was O.K to do so because Franken's book was satire and not to be taken seriously while O'Reilly's book was real journalism and should be held to a higher standard, conveinant answer but then if Franken's book was mere satire then what the heck is N.P.R doing interviewing { and gushing over him } in the first place lending an air of credibility to something they claim is not to be taken seriously ?.

The bottom line is CNN and the NY Times are about as middle of the road as the 700 club is and the more people that realize it and watch and read the news knowing that it's slanted, the better.

Banned
    Maryland you totally mischaracterized Terry Gross's interview with Bill O'Reilly. Did you actually listen to it? If you'd like to here a link.

[url=http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1459090]http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1459090[/url]

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Dec 17 2003, 11:37 AM
    [b] Maryland you totally mischaracterized Terry Gross's interview with Bill O'Reilly. Did you actually listen to it? If you'd like to here a link.

[url=http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1459090]http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1459090[/url] [/b][/quote]
    O.K.....I've got the link but I'm headed out.....I will admit that I've only heard the bits and pieces of the O'Reilly interview that was presented on his T.V show so I may not have heard the other side of the story.

I will listen to O'Reilly's whole N.P.R interview as well as Franken's interview as well and try to be fair and see for myself where Ms Gross is coming from but I suspect that the interviews have different themes especially since Ms Gross said herself that Franken was treated differently because he wasn't a serious journalist......but.....we'll see and I'll respond later.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by MARYLAND JET+Dec 17 2003, 11:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (MARYLAND JET @ Dec 17 2003, 11:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Dec 17 2003, 11:37 AM
    [b] Maryland you totally mischaracterized Terry Gross&#39;s interview with Bill O&#39;Reilly. Did you actually listen to it? If you&#39;d like to here a link.

[url=http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1459090]http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1459090[/url] [/b][/quote]
    O.K.....I&#39;ve got the link but I&#39;m headed out.....I will admit that I&#39;ve only heard the bits and pieces of the O&#39;Reilly interview that was presented on his T.V show so I may not have heard the other side of the story.

I will listen to O&#39;Reilly&#39;s whole N.P.R interview as well as Franken&#39;s interview as well and try to be fair and see for myself where Ms Gross is coming from but I suspect that the interviews have different themes especially since Ms Gross said herself that Franken was treated differently because he wasn&#39;t a serious journalist......but.....we&#39;ll see and I&#39;ll respond later. [/b][/quote]
    O.K Tail.....I&#39;ve listened to both the O&#39;Reilly and Franken N.P.R interviews in their entirety { I feel like I just finished a homework assignment } and other than stating that O&#39;Reilly had a transcript of the Franken interview { he didn&#39;t } I don&#39;t see where anything was " mischaracterized ", as a matter of fact the obvious liberal bias in the way N.P.R handled Franken and O&#39;Reilly were handled was even worse than I had origionally thought.

If you compare side by side how Ms Gross conducted both interviews I don&#39;t see how any rational person could come to any other conclusion than Ms Gross and N.P.R has an liberal agenda and bias.

With Franken she was lighthearted and at ease and she breezed along with him as he made accusation after accusation against O&#39;Reilly, Fox news, and the Bush administration and never once challenged { unless laughing is considered challenging } anything he had to say, as a matter of fact at times she was like his straightman setting him up to speak about certain parts of his book she found interesting and funny.

With O&#39;Reilly the tone was different, she often challenged his accusations and threw out some of her own opinions about him and his show that were less than complimentary.

She said one of his T.V show interviews was " theatre and showmanship " trying to make a point about the legitimacy of his reporting, she tried to trap him about his comments about the NY Times and book reviewer Janet Maslin, she stated the no spin zone was a bad title because it&#39;s about opinion, that he bought the administrations WMD arguement too easily, she even brought up that he went to catholic school and stated that catholic school was repressive { I&#39;m not sure why that was necessary }.

I thought he was correct that the whole point of the interview was to try to trap him into saying something contradictory that she could then pounce on { my words...not his } and be a hero to and make a name with the liberals who listen to her show, if I were him I&#39;d probably have stayed til the end and left and never come back again but I can see why he walked out, especially after hearing her all chummy with Franken, it clearly wasn&#39;t fair and was even worse than I stated in my previous post.

Her excuse that she handled the two interviews differently because " Frankens book is political satire " is B.S because she presented Franken to her audience as a credible liberal / democratic voice that should be heard and who&#39;s opinions should be taken seriously, she even stated he " WAS a comic and satirist but is now much more IN politics than he expected to be ".

IMHO Ms Gross and N.P.R are a joke that shouldn&#39;t be listened to by anyone that doesn&#39;t realize they have an agenda and they are not playing it straight with the listener, it&#39;s one thing to be a talk show that doesn&#39;t pretend to hide it&#39;s ideology and quite another to present yourself as fair when in fact your nothing more than a liberal shill which I believe Ms Gross and N.P.R proved to be.

Banned
    Maryland Jet...I give you credit for actually taking the time to listen to both broadcasts. I still disagree with your characterization of the Gross&#39;s handling of the O&#39;Reilly interview. I thought O&#39;Reilly was overtly hostile and rude right from the beginning.

Furthermore, if you choose not to listen to NPR then that&#39;s really your loss.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Dec 17 2003, 07:03 PM
    [b] Maryland Jet...I give you credit for actually taking the time to listen to both broadcasts. I still disagree with your characterization of the Gross&#39;s handling of the O&#39;Reilly interview. I thought O&#39;Reilly was overtly hostile and rude right from the beginning.

Furthermore, if you choose not to listen to NPR then that&#39;s really your loss. [/b][/quote]
    Understand T.G.....O&#39;Reilly most certainly did have a chip on his shoulder and came off as arrogant and rude but IMHO that doesn&#39;t excuse N.P.R for presenting O&#39;Reilly and Franken as basically equals, and then spending 45 or so minutes agreeing with everything Franken has to say while not challenging even one of his assertations and then challenging every assertation O&#39;Reilly makes.

I really wouldn&#39;t care about it except that they want to be portrayed as not having an agenda when clearly { atleast based on those two interviews } they do.