Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: OT: David Wells signs with Padres

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    1,378
    SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Padres have signed starting pitcher David Wells, according to a published report.

    The San Diego Union-Tribune reported the signing Wednesday, although nothing has officially been announced by the club.

    The big left-hander became available last month after the New York Yankees declined a team option for the 2004 season. Wells, who turns 41 in May, compiled a 15-7 with a 4.14 ERA in 31 games this past season. Back problems forced him to miss the end of the playoffs and he underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his back after four weeks ago.

    Wells returned to New York for a second stint with the club prior to the 2001 season. He was also with the club from 1997-98. In five seasons in pinstripes, Wells has compiled a 68-28 record and his .708 winning percentage is the best among Yankee lefthanders all-time.

    Wells, who has also pitched for Toronto, Detroit, Cincinnati, Baltimore and the White Sox, owns a lifetime record of 200-128 with a 4.06 ERA in 17 seasons.

  2. #2
    This is good news ... I never wanted him back to begin with

    His back is totally shot ... the man needed to remove himself from a WS Game after two innings

    I have a better feeling about Jon Lieber as the 5th Starter

  3. #3
    It leaves no lefty in the rotation. And the best lefty talent in the moinors is Danny Borrell, who underwent Tommy John surgery mid season, and is out until July or so.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,692
    Losing Clemens, Pettitte and Wells is a good thing for Yankees fans, seriously. (Insert Twilight Zone theme here)

    Spin it all you want guys, it's bad. Not catastrophic, but bad.


    Hey, Green Jets & Ham - aren't you the guy who spent the entire buildup to the ARod to Sox deal tlaking about how you wanted it to happen cause it was a bad deal for the Sox. Then, when it fell through you posted a "ha ha, no Arod" thread and were downright gleeful about it not happening? If so, which is it? You aren't simply (gasp&#33 trying to get a rise out of Sox fans, regardless of the circumstances, are you? :lol: :lol:

    Hey - even if you are, more power to you...it keeps things interesting..

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    don;t hurt yuor back bending over for a donut!!!

  6. #6
    Originally posted by jets5ever@Dec 31 2003, 04:03 PM
    Losing Clemens, Pettitte and Wells is a good thing for Yankees fans, seriously. (Insert Twilight Zone theme here)

    Spin it all you want guys, it's bad. Not catastrophic, but bad.


    Hey, Green Jets & Ham - aren't you the guy who spent the entire buildup to the ARod to Sox deal tlaking about how you wanted it to happen cause it was a bad deal for the Sox. Then, when it fell through you posted a "ha ha, no Arod" thread and were downright gleeful about it not happening? If so, which is it? You aren't simply (gasp&#33 trying to get a rise out of Sox fans, regardless of the circumstances, are you? :lol: :lol:

    Hey - even if you are, more power to you...it keeps things interesting..
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

    That might be the funniest post I ever read :lol:

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    :ph34r: well had a great run with the Yankees but we will be ok....the Yankees will always be ahead of the red sox.

    Nuff Said

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rockaway Beach, Queens, NY
    Posts
    948
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Dec 31 2003, 02:32 PM

    His back is totally shot ... the man needed to remove himself from a WS Game after two innings

    I still remember the press conference the day before that start, when he was joking about how his training method was the opposite of Clemens, and he was going to write a book on those secrets. Good one.

    If the Yanks feel they need to add a lefty, I think they should consider Damian Moss. He hasnt put up the numbers yet, but he is still young, and Australian.

    The remaining FA's that are lefty starters look to be:

    Shawn Estes- maybe
    Randy Keisler- former Yankee; could sign him to a minor-league deal
    Jim Parque- dont need another guy with injuries
    Kenny Rogers- next
    Glendon Rusch- see Kenny Rogers
    Darren Oliver- see Glendon Rusch
    Ron Villone- he's a local guy (best thing I could think of)

  9. #9
    Maxman
    Guest
    I always liked Glendon Rusch. I am surprised that he hasn't put together a huge year yet. I really thought he was going to be very good. All star caliber.

    Maybe he has a 100 dollar arm and a 2 dollar head.

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rockaway Beach, Queens, NY
    Posts
    948
    Originally posted by Maxman@Jan 2 2004, 01:34 PM
    I always liked Glendon Rusch. I am surprised that he hasn't put together a huge year yet. I really thought he was going to be very good. All star caliber.

    Maybe he has a 100 dollar arm and a 2 dollar head.
    Whatever its value, it is his left arm, which means he'll get plenty of chances.

    88 days til the opener in Japan....

  11. #11
    Bottom line, the yanks are tossing out a right handed rotation and the lefty bats will eventually catch up to them...


    I believe that the AROD deal will be revisited.....there is a lot of time between now and training camp...besides with the way the acrimony was set up..you cant walk away from the deal...Tom Hicks needs the flexibility given to him if he sheds a-rod..

    LL

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rockaway Beach, Queens, NY
    Posts
    948
    I think the lefty/righty thing wont be a big deal until the playoffs; and the Yankees have a somewhat slight chance of adding someone before that at the trading deadline.

    And to answer your signature question- LB or CB.

  13. #13
    Originally posted by Rockaway Mike@Jan 2 2004, 04:15 PM
    I think the lefty/righty thing wont be a big deal until the playoffs; and the Yankees have a somewhat slight chance of adding someone before that at the trading deadline.

    And to answer your signature question- LB or CB.
    Agree. I could see the Yanks picking up an Al Leiter around the trading deadline, if the Mets fall out of it again.

  14. #14
    I can see the Yanks offering a package deal involving Dontrelle Willis, seeing how the Marlins are beginning to break up again, and also getting Roy Halladay. The Jays have already given up two top offensive players. This is, of course, speculation and hinges on contracts.

  15. #15
    Originally posted by greenieboy@Jan 8 2004, 02:18 PM
    I can see the Yanks offering a package deal involving Dontrelle Willis, seeing how the Marlins are beginning to break up again, and also getting Roy Halladay. The Jays have already given up two top offensive players. This is, of course, speculation and hinges on contracts.
    Jays should close up shop if they deal Halliday. He's a major ace, and the best they have, by a mile!!

    Yanks may actually get a shot at Zito, if the A's fall out of it. Zito, Mulder and Hudson are approaching Arbitration/Free agency. A's may look to deal before it's too late, especially if they fall out of it. They kept Giambi and Damon because they were in the race, as was the case with Tajeda.

    It'll be a different story if they fall out of it earlier.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us