Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Cops On This board?

1. Is there a ticket quota, or does it vary from town to town?

2. Are officers in competition with one another? What impetuses are there for writing tickets?

3. When an officer nails a speeder on radar, I assume the reading remains locked until he hits a reset button, and clears the gun. What prevents him from keeping the reading locked, and using it all day on innocent motorists?

Hall Of Fame
    Get nabbed did you?

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetworld[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 04:50 PM
    [b] 1. Is there a ticket quota, or does it vary from town to town?

2. Are officers in competition with one another? What impetuses are there for writing tickets?

3. When an officer nails a speeder on radar, I assume the reading remains locked until he hits a reset button, and clears the gun. What prevents him from keeping the reading locked, and using it all day on innocent motorists? [/b][/quote]
    I'm not a cop, but here's the deal .....

Some tickets are essential for the public safety, when someone is clearly endangering the lives of others ... but most tickets are simply viewed by the city government as a hidden tax

For example, I once read that the City of NY actually brings in more revenues via automobile violations {moving & parking} than they do via City Income Tax :o

Now the suckers {i.e. citizens} buy the "safety" argument cause it possesses an element of truth ... AN ELEMENT OF TRUTH ... and you can especially sell any bag of goods to the soccer-mom crowd if you label it a "safety issue", they're an easy mark, but most folks are sheep as well

Anyhow, if the City even cut their ticket revenues in half it would go bankrupt ... they have come to depend on these revenues ... that's the dirty little secret ... they are like pigs feeding at the troft ... and so long as they can paint it as PURELY a "safety issue" and get away with it {i.e. so long as the suckers continue to buy it}, you can expect business as usual to continue

Lastly, my best friend in a Sargent in the NYPD ... we've been friends since childhood so we can speak bluntly with one another ... I've brought this to his attention often, the fact that the city depends on ticket revenues for it's survival, and he doesn't deny it

I even give it to him straight ... I tell him that when he does the bidding of the bigwigs at the expense of some poor working stiff who can barely make ends meet, all because the poor stiff exceeded the speed limit by 5 or 10 MPH or parked for two minutes to make a quick stop ... you are being used by the bigwigs as a "Tax Collector"

Cause that's what it is for the most part, the few legit safety issues excluded these excessive ticket violations are nothing more than a "Hidden Tax" and have very little to do with "safety"

PS. YES, there are Quotas ... anyone who tells you otherwise is lying too you

Heck, in the City of NY they built a whole new department {Brownies} soley around the concept of collecting taxes ... ummmm, I mean, handing out safety violations for the betterment of mankind :rolleyes:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Yep, GJ&H is correct.........I have many cop friends and family.....some right here on good old SI.........But with all of my detective cards and the flirting I throw at them, I have got to say, I escape alot of violations.......just call me Marietta Andretti.......... :P

god I hate the cops in my town.

Complete utter losers, who think theyre city cops.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Matt39[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 05:29 PM
    [b] god I hate the cops in my town.

Complete utter losers, who think theyre city cops. [/b][/quote]
    While I agree, some cops are a$$holes.........the problem in today's society is that no one respects police officers anymore.....I was taught to respect a police officer but the kids today do not and they are not taught to do that.......Police officers are here to serve and protect, but when you get an obnoxious drunk or a smart ass punk, well then the civilian gets what they deserve..........

jetgirl...In all honesty i respect everyone.

Its just that some of these guys are the biggest arrogant pricks youll ever meet. Arrogance and condescending people tick me off more than anything.

The biggest issue they have to deal with is underage drinking...thats it, and they act like theyre better than everyone else.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Matt39[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 05:37 PM
    [b] jetgirl...In all honesty i respect everyone.

Its just that some of these guys are the biggest arrogant pricks youll ever meet. Arrogance and condescending people tick me off more than anything.

The biggest issue they have to deal with is underage drinking...thats it, and they act like theyre better than everyone else. [/b][/quote]
    Well, you have to keep one thing in mind.......their lives are on the line every time they put on their uniform......they never know if they are going to come home to their family at the end of the day......and while I do agree some of them are a$$holes, the lack of respect from us, the people, make them that way........not all of them but some of them.......some of them are just plain old a$$holes.....trust me I know, I let one be a total a$$ to me once, I let him hang himself verbally then I asked him if he knew this particular officer and he said yes I do so I said then you won't mind if I call him right now so you can continue being the dick that you are to me to him right? I placed the call to my cousin and my cousin was there in 3 minutes, needless to say the guy stood there with egg on his face.........nothing gave me greater pleasure...... ;)

But, the bottom line is........they are here to protect us and when some of "us" are acting out of line, they have no idea what the "normal" civilian is going to do to them so they are automatically on the defensive........

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetworld[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 04:50 PM
    [b] 1. Is there a ticket quota, or does it vary from town to town?

3. When an officer nails a speeder on radar, I assume the reading remains locked until he hits a reset button, and clears the gun. What prevents him from keeping the reading locked, and using it all day on innocent motorists? [/b][/quote]
    1) Ticket quatas are illegal. If a superior were to ever say to Officer Smith, "I need you to right 25 tickets this month.", officer Smith could end the conversation by saying "Yes sir, just put that in writing for me."

2)Most cops don't like to write tickets, but MV stops often lead to other infractions/crimes. If a cop stops a driver for a MV infraction, a bad attitude on part of the driver (ei-"I pay your salary", 'dont you have real crimes you could be working on", 'I know the mayor", 'I want your badge number") are sure ways to get yourself a ticket.

2B)Some places make it very beneficial to write tickets, like.. say it pays the Cop 3 hours OT every time he comes to court, even if the case is handled in 25 minutes. Might make the Cop want to write tickets, because it helps with his paycheck too.

3)If he was going to "nail" innocents all day...why even use the radar gun? You arent privy to see the radar readings in the Police car and it doesnt print out a receipt that he attatches to your ticket or anything. (In other words, the Cop comes into court with his word against yours, he doesnt bring a picture of what the radar gun said at time of stop, although you could request the most recent calibration results from the gun, and wether he is trained in its use, but most departments are on top of those paperwork requirements)

Plead not guilty to your ticket, get a court date, skip the lawyer. Go to court, see if your Cop is there, ask him what you can work out, something to save you points and/or money. Its exactly the same thing you a pay a lawyer for. Take the downgraded offense and be more careful in the future.

If the Cop does not show up in court, you are in the driver seat, plead not guilty, without the Cop there is no evidence against you. If the case is not dismessed then, but given a new date, come back and again make deal with Cop/Prosecutor, if he shows, or again plead not guilty and walk out a free man!!

that will be $10 please..Send it to JI on my behalf.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Matt39[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 05:37 PM
    [b] jetgirl...In all honesty i respect everyone.

The biggest issue they have to deal with is underage drinking...thats it, and they act like theyre better than everyone else. [/b][/quote]
    Matt39, assuming you are an adult, and not one of those "underage" drinkers you refer to, the type of person with zero life expierence to this point, yet feel you have the answer to everything, do me a favor...

go to [url]www.odmp.org[/url] (it stands for officer down memorial page) and scroll thru the stories of the 146 Police Officers who died in the course of their duty during the year 2003.

Read about what type of job they were on, or going to, when they died.

Read about the family they left behind (Be sure to take note of how many had expectant wives at home AND how many left behind a child less than a year old)

Read about how many were from small towns, places you never heard of.

Oh, and don't forget to take note of how many dealt with "underage drinking...thats it"

If their stories don't support your numbers, go back to 2002 and read about the 153 that died that year in this Country. If you want, you can read about every one of the 16,950 Law Enforement Officers that have died in the line of duty trying to make this Country a safer place to live.

[quote][b]1) Ticket quatas are illegal. If a superior were to ever say to Officer Smith, "I need you to right 25 tickets this month.", officer Smith could end the conversation by saying "Yes sir, just put that in writing for me."[/b][/quote]
    Stew, there are ways of making it known that a certain number of tickets are expected without saying the words, like asking an officer why his ticket totals are always so much lower than that of his peers?

No-one likes to be scrutinized by their superiors ... especially when they know they have more to offer, and they know the supe knows it as well.

There is also the suttle message a supe can use ... maybe a cush detail for the cops who "Play Ball", and a $hitty detail for those who fail to "Play Ball" {wink wink} ... OT is another weapon a supe can wield in order to send a message ... or perhaps relax the rules {shined shoes, pressed shirt, etc. etc.} accordingly

Bottom Line: It's easy to send a message without ever using the words

Soon the proper enviornment has been created ... you know what's expected of you if you wish to make things easy on yourself ... it becomes an "unwritten rule"

Now you can tell me I'm wrong, but I know an NYPD Sargent who tells me differently

PS. I won't even let the cat out of the bag on the other side of this debate ... when you need to "Play Ball" in the opposite direction, cause I personally benifit from that "unwritten rule", if you know what I mean

[quote][b]2)Most cops don't like to write tickets, but MV stops often lead to other infractions/crimes. If a cop stops a driver for a MV infraction, a bad attitude on part of the driver (ei-"I pay your salary", 'dont you have real crimes you could be working on", 'I know the mayor", 'I want your badge number") are sure ways to get yourself a ticket.[/b][/quote]
    This is true ... most cops are not bad guys ... you have your ocassional a-hole who had his lunch money stolen in school and views his new-found position of authority as a license to throw his weight around, but for the most part they are stand-up guys who take no pleasure in harrassing folks who mean the general public no harm

Like I said, sometimes they hand out tickets reluctantly cause it makes life easier on themselves in the end ... in many ways they are being used to collect taxes for the local government, and some are not even aware of it ... but the reluctance of the officer doesn't save the citizen any money and doesn't prevent the inconvenience of needing to take a day off for a court date

Honestly, this is the sole reason I never became a cop ... I took the test on a whim when I was younger, passed the test and could have taken the job years ago, but I never wanted to be in a position to do the bidding of some hack politicians at the expense of decent people who mean no harm ... doesn't make me a better person, that's just something I'm not capable of doing cause I come from working people and I no how tough it is to make an honest living without having their hard-earned money confisacted for frivolous reasons ... everyone has a soft spot, that just happens to be mine

I can't stop some working stiff on a highway, who may have a wife and kids at home, for some BS infraction and remove $100 from his wallet ... while rasing his already obscene insurance rates for good measure

PS. I agree ... always be polite ... it's the only chance you have at getting off with a warning ... get nasty and you have NO SHOT

[quote][b]2B)Some places make it very beneficial to write tickets, like.. say it pays the Cop 3 hours OT every time he comes to court, even if the case is handled in 25 minutes. Might make the Cop want to write tickets, because it helps with his paycheck too.[/b][/quote]

Flatout, that sounds like having a license to steal ... sounds like the fox gaurding the hen-house :D

Nice Gig if you can get it

[quote][b]3)If he was going to "nail" innocents all day...why even use the radar gun? You arent privy to see the radar readings in the Police car and it doesnt print out a receipt that he attatches to your ticket or anything. (In other words, the Cop comes into court with his word against yours, he doesnt bring a picture of what the radar gun said at time of stop, although you could request the most recent calibration results from the gun, and wether he is trained in its use, but most departments are on top of those paperwork requirements)[/b][/quote]

If the officer shows up, plead gulity to a lower charge if you can ... which is not always possible ... but your chances of pleading not guilty and winning are ZERO

The entire system is rigged in favor of the city ... even/especially traffic court

Those arbitrators {to call them judges is an insult to judges} are political appointees who also know the rules ... start finding on behalf of the motorists and you can start preparing your resume ... the city doesn't f**k around when it comes to collecting their hidden tax revenues ... if you're some hack traffic court arbitrator who's not playing ball, hit the bricks and start walkin cause you are GOIN OUT

I challenge anyone to spend a day in traffic court ... watch a hundred cases ... if you see one instance, one out of a hundred, where the officer shows up with his notes and doesn't flub his lines, yet the motorist pleads not guilty and wins, you will have just witnessed the one arbitrator who is begging to be fired from that cush job :rolleyes:

PS. Stew is correct, the officer doesn't need evidence in traffic court ... just needs to show up with his notes ... the rest is a slam-dunk

[quote][b]Plead not guilty to your ticket, get a court date, skip the lawyer. Go to court, see if your Cop is there, ask him what you can work out, something to save you points and/or money. Its exactly the same thing you a pay a lawyer for. Take the downgraded offense and be more careful in the future.

If the Cop does not show up in court, you are in the driver seat, plead not guilty, without the Cop there is no evidence against you. If the case is not dismessed then, but given a new date, come back and again make deal with Cop/Prosecutor, if he shows, or again plead not guilty and walk out a free man!![/b][/quote]

All sound advice ... don't throw money away on a lawyer cause F. Lee Bailey can't save you in traffic court, the definition of a kangaroo court ... just take the best deal you can get and GRAB IT

PS. If the officer doesn't show, as Stew says, there's a chance it might be dismissed ... or they will set another court date

If they dismiss the case you lose only a days pay ... but you beat the ticket

If not, and the cop shows the next time around {HE WILL} ... try to swing a deal and hope the cop is in a generous mood {no gimmie either, depends on the cop} ... if you get a cop like a few of my friends who are on the force, you're in luck ... if you get one from the "stolen lunch money crowd", get your checkbooks out

Maxman
    My brother is a cop. Thank you Stewdawg for your posts!

How well do the PBA cards really work?

My dad's friend used to be a police officer in New Rochelle a long, long time ago. The guy didnt take his job seriously. He would pull over women for no reason and just try to hook up with them. He barely gave anybody tickets whether they were male or female. He just didnt care. He'd see people speeding and let them go etc.

One year he gave out about 3 tickets total lol. The sargeant brought him into his office and asked how could it be that he gave out so few tickets and my dad's friend insisted that during his routes nobody performed any violations lol.

He continued his ways, giving out a few tickets a year and eventually they fired him because of it.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 05:48 PM
    [b] 3)If he was going to "nail" innocents all day...why even use the radar gun? You arent privy to see the radar readings in the Police car and it doesnt print out a receipt that he attatches to your ticket or anything.

[/b][/quote]
    Not true. You have every right to view the radar screen. Just get out of your vehicle, walk over and look. If they react, just tell them what you're doing. If they're the schizo live-by-the-gun inner city types, then ask them before getting out.

I've never accepted a speeding ticket without seeing the radar.

No cops on this board? That's hard to believe.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl+Jan 1 2004, 05:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetgirl @ Jan 1 2004, 05:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Matt39[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 05:29 PM
    [b] god I hate the cops in my town.

Complete utter losers, who think theyre city cops. [/b][/quote]
    While I agree, some cops are a&#036;&#036;holes.........the problem in today&#39;s society is that no one respects police officers anymore.....I was taught to respect a police officer but the kids today do not and they are not taught to do that.......Police officers are here to serve and protect, but when you get an obnoxious drunk or a smart ass punk, well then the civilian gets what they deserve.......... [/b][/quote]
    Most cops are a bunch of idiots who think they are hot shots because they have a badge and a gun. One of my best friends from childhood became a cop a few years ago. Me and this kid were friends since we were in elementary school, we went to high school together, took the bus every day together, we played high school ball together etc. We were real tight. After he became a cop all of a sudden he just changed. His whole attitude, he was nasty and just thought he was better than everybody else. He even treated ME that way... I got so sick of it that I came extremly close to beating the s**t out of him this summer after he gave me a wise ass comment. If his older brother wasnt there I would have left him laying where he was. Today me and all my other friends cant stand him anymore.

I dont know why but that is one profession that truly changes people. For the worst.

All League
    Charter JI Member

There are a couple. Maybe they just aren&#39;t around today.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetworld+Jan 1 2004, 08:11 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jetworld @ Jan 1 2004, 08:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Stewdawg[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 05:48 PM
    [b] 3)If he was going to "nail" innocents all day...why even use the radar gun? You arent privy to see the radar readings in the Police car and it doesnt print out a receipt that he attatches to your ticket or anything.

[/b][/quote]
    Not true. You have every right to view the radar screen. Just get out of your vehicle, walk over and look. If they react, just tell them what you&#39;re doing. If they&#39;re the schizo live-by-the-gun inner city types, then ask them before getting out.

I&#39;ve never accepted a speeding ticket without seeing the radar.

No cops on this board? That&#39;s hard to believe. [/b][/quote]
    Jetworld, you can look at the radar all you want ... but for what purpose?

So you get to traffic court and say one thing, the officer says something else, and you lose&#33;&#33;

EVERY TIME&#33;&#33;

100 out of 100

1,000 out of 1,000

You think I&#39;m just making this &#036;hit up?

This is a hidden tax ... the traffic court system is designed to COLLECT

This is not the kind of court you see on TV :rolleyes:

Ham, you compare what you see on the gun to what&#39;s written on the ticket.

But, that&#39;s not my point. I think radar readings should be required to have a month/day/year and TIME stamp on them.

I don&#39;t trust some of those f-ckheads.

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Sowell Train[/i]@Jan 1 2004, 07:58 PM
    [b] How well do the PBA cards really work? [/b][/quote]
    All in the presentation....

Remember there are 2 main Police Unions, FOP and PBA. They traditionally don&#39;t like each other. Then you have the Troopers Union. They tend to view themselves as better than the local Police.

Get stopped by a trooper with FOP/PBA card, probably won&#39;t mean TOO much.

Give a FOP card to a PBA guy and you are in the same boat, maybe worse than the Trooper, and vice versa with the PBA card to the FOP Cop...

But as long as you are decent and come off the right way without any lip and didnt kill anybody, it could help you out. I know of many success stories, (without any flirting or # exchanging)

Let me tell you the best way...

The lights go on and you are the target-
    1)Quickly and safely move to the right, pulling as far off the road as possible, always pull into a gas station or shopping center parking lot, if very nearby (the Officer will appreciate you taking him out of the path of other cars)

2)Put your car in park and take your foot off the brake pedal, letting the Cop know you are not going anywhere. Turn off your radio, get off your cell (if you are dumb enuf to still be on it..) If its nite, put your interior light on (If the Cop asks you to put it on, its the law and a ticket if you dont comply.)
    this lets the Cop see what he&#39;s dealing with, putting him at a little bit of ease.

3)Make no sudden movements, but you can start to get your Reg/Ins/DL out from where ever they may be.

4)When the Cop comes up and says why he stopped you, dont say "oh, no, the light was yellow&#33;" He is not going to say "oh, ok, i thought it was red, sorry about the mix-up." Take responsilbility, admit you made a mistake, the Cop may only be "fishing", looking for something more serious, and will let you go if you are contrite and have everything in order.

5)When asked for the paperwork, give him what he asked for, then say "I dont know if this will do me any good, but my (Brother/Sister/Uncle/Brother in Law, etc...)is a cop in (where ever)" And offer the card to him. NEVER JUST HAND THE CARD ALONG WITH THE DL/REGISTRATION/INSURANCE AS IF YOU EXPECT IT TO GET YOU OUT OF THE JAM.

6)Make sure you know the name of the Cop that gave you the card, in case the Cop asks, you dont want to say "Oh, his name is on the back." Yea, no kidding. The Cop is testing you to see if you know who gave it to you, or you got it from a friend of a friend..

I am not suggesting you lie, but I would say its a relative who gave you the card (brother in law/sister in law), it carries a little more weight.

Also beware of using them in the South, I dont think they have them there so they might be worthless, but all Cops are familiar with them in NY/NJ/CT/PA area