Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: are there any Liberals over 45?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious,,just seems that we are liberal when we are young and not really aware of where our parents money goes,,,as we age and realize the ways of the world we mature and become more conservative....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Palm Beach County, Florida is living proof, or almost living, that liberals are OLD.

That was the scene of the danggling chad

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by southernjet[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 02:21 PM
    [b] Curious,,just seems that we are liberal when we are young and not really aware of where our parents money goes,,,as we age and realize the ways of the world we mature and become more conservative.... [/b][/quote]
    "If you're young and conservative, you have no heart. If you're old and liberal, you have no brain." - anonymous.

Most people become conservative right around the time when they start having to pay their own bills. Also - a conservative can be described as someone who doesn't immediately blame society every time a minority youth steals a purse. Conservatives tend to hold people responsible for their actions and well-being, liberals don't. Liberals "fight" for "change" and have "compassion" for the "oppressed" and advocate "equality" but none of that applies to white college applicants, unborn children, Christians, or people who cling to this childish notion that immigrants should have to (gasp!!) actually enter the country legally or that perhaps legally owning a gun or believing in God is not crazyness or evidence of being a simpleton.

To a liberal, being a rich white male is only OK if you feel really, really guilty about it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by FlaGreen[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:24 PM
    [b] Palm Beach County, Florida is living proof, or almost living, that liberals are OLD.

That was the scene of the danggling chad [/b][/quote]
    ya,,that is surely a one of the areas where the theorum doesnt work,,,,

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by southernjet[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM
    [b] [/b][/quote]
    If you are young and conservative, you don't have a heart.

If you are old and liberal, you don't have a brain.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--southernjet[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 02:21 PM
    [b] Curious,,just seems that we are liberal when we are young and not really aware of where our parents money goes,,,as we age and realize the ways of the world we mature and become more conservative.... [/b][/quote]
    "If you&#39;re young and conservative, you have no heart. If you&#39;re old and liberal, you have no brain." - anonymous.

Most people become conservative right around the time when they start having to pay their own bills. Also - a conservative can be described as someone who doesn&#39;t immediately blame society every time a minority youth steals a purse. Conservatives tend to hold people reposnsible for their actions and wel-being, liberals don&#39;t. Liberals "fight" for "change" and have "compassion" for the "oppressed" and advocate "equality."

To a liberal, being a riah white male is only OK if you feel really, really guilty about it. [/b][/quote]
    great post...like the quote,,very true,,,i was a mcgovern supporter as a college student in &#39;72&#39;...then became an independent then a republican as i bought house, went to work , paid taxes etc,,i seem to becoming a little more independent as i am near retirement,,,so who knows,,,the cycle continues....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM
    [b] Most people become conservative right around the time when they start having to pay their own bills. Also - a conservative can be described as someone who doesn&#39;t immediately blame society every time a minority youth steals a purse. Conservatives tend to hold people reposnsible for their actions and wel-being, liberals don&#39;t. Liberals "fight" for "change" and have "compassion" for the "oppressed" and advocate "equality."

To a liberal, being a riah white male is only OK if you feel really, really guilty about it. [/b][/quote]
    5-ever...Considering your age I&#39;m guessing that you probably became a conservative while watching the TV show "Family Ties" with Michael J. Fox back in the early &#39;80&#39;s.

Confess the Keaton kid was your role model, right?

The one thing that liberals have that for the most part conservatives lack is a sense of idealism.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Jan 2 2004, 02:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Jan 2 2004, 02:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM
    [b] Most people become conservative right around the time when they start having to pay their own bills. Also - a conservative can be described as someone who doesn&#39;t immediately blame society every time a minority youth steals a purse. Conservatives tend to hold people reposnsible for their actions and wel-being, liberals don&#39;t. Liberals "fight" for "change" and have "compassion" for the "oppressed" and advocate "equality."

5-ever...Considering your age I&#39;m guessing that you probably became a conservative while watching the TV show "Family Ties" with Michael J. Fox back in the early &#39;80&#39;s. Confess the Keaton kid was your role model&#33;

The one thing that liberals have that for the most part conservatives lack is a sense of idealism. [/b][/quote]
    Karl Marx was an idealist....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Jan 2 2004, 03:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Jan 2 2004, 03:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Jan 2 2004, 02:34 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM

5-ever...Considering your age I&#39;m guessing that you probably became a conservative while watching the TV show "Family Ties" with Michael J. Fox back in the early &#39;80&#39;s. Confess the Keaton kid was your role model&#33;

The one thing that liberals have that for the most part conservatives lack is a sense of idealism. [/b][/quote]
    Karl Marx was an idealist.... [/b][/quote]
    Weeeell, There you go again&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Jan 2 2004, 02:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Jan 2 2004, 02:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM

5-ever...Considering your age I&#39;m guessing that you probably became a conservative while watching the TV show "Family Ties" with Michael J. Fox back in the early &#39;80&#39;s.

I did like that show, but no, may family is very conservative. I have been reading National Review since I was in grammar school and my family is Catholic and Catholics tend to lean to the right, obviously.

(I do go to church every Sunday, but am not a "believing" Catholic in that I am not sure that I even believe in God...but that&#39;s a whole &#39;nother ball of wax."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Jan 2 2004, 02:38 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Jan 2 2004, 02:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jets5ever@Jan 2 2004, 03:36 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Jan 2 2004, 02:34 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM

Karl Marx was an idealist.... [/b][/quote]
    Weeeell, There you go again&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I consider being anti-abortion "idealism." I consider advocating personal accountability "idealism."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Jan 2 2004, 03:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Jan 2 2004, 03:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM

i have ideals,,,i vote mainly republican these days but i have ideals.........

i think both sides have ideals,,,they just split mainly on where the perception that the tax dollar goes......and whether the government should be an enabler as opposed to a welfare employere, as in work for relief etc....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--southernjet[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 02:21 PM
    "If you&#39;re young and conservative, you have no heart. If you&#39;re old and liberal, you have no brain." - anonymous.

Most people become conservative right around the time when they start having to pay their own bills. Also - a conservative can be described as someone who doesn&#39;t immediately blame society every time a minority youth steals a purse. Conservatives tend to hold people responsible for their actions and well-being, liberals don&#39;t. Liberals "fight" for "change" and have "compassion" for the "oppressed" and advocate "equality" but none of that applies to white college applicants, unborn children, Christians, or people who cling to this childish notion that immigrants should have to (gasp&#33;&#33;) actually enter the country legally or that perhaps legally owning a gun or believing in God is not crazyness or evidence of being a simpleton.

To a liberal, being a rich white male is only OK if you feel really, really guilty about it. [/b][/quote]
    Liberals talk about making change for the better....conservatives actually do it&#33; ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Jan 2 2004, 03:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Jan 2 2004, 03:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:27 PM

That&#39;s the difference between the libs and conservatives....libs are idealist, conservatives are realist ;) &#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:39 PM
    [b] I did like that show, but no, my family is very conservative. I have been reading National Review since I was in grammar school. [/b][/quote]
    You ought to balance that by also reading HARPERS each month.

Perhaps more than anything else that&#39;s why your Dad denigrates Senator Kerry&#39;s military service record. Seems like an easy way to politically attack someone without being challenged on it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Jan 2 2004, 02:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Jan 2 2004, 02:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:39 PM
    [b] I did like that show, but no, my family is very conservative. I have been reading National Review since I was in grammar school. [/b][/quote]

Perhaps more than anything else that&#39;s why your Dad denigrates Senator Kerry&#39;s military service record. Seems like an easy way to politically attack someone without being challenged on it. [/b][/quote]
    Tail -

My dad served with Kerry in the Navy. He knew him THEN. It&#39;s an evualution he made about the man&#39;s character after getting to KNOW him. It&#39;s not political. He didn&#39;t like him long berfore Kerry became a Senator. I am not disparaging Kerry&#39;s military record and my dad never has either. He just doens&#39;t like the man. My dad said he was a lying, two-faced bastard.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever+Jan 2 2004, 04:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (jets5ever @ Jan 2 2004, 04:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Jan 2 2004, 02:58 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:39 PM

Perhaps more than anything else that&#39;s why your Dad denigrates Senator Kerry&#39;s military service record. Seems like an easy way to politically attack someone without being challenged on it. [/b][/quote]
    Tail -

My dad served with Kerry in the Navy. He knew him THEN. It&#39;s an evualution he made about the man&#39;s character after getting to KNOW him. It&#39;s not political. He didn&#39;t like him long berfore Kerry became a Senator. I am not disparaging Kerry&#39;s military record and my dad never has either. He just doens&#39;t like the man. My dad said he was a lying, two-faced bastard. [/b][/quote]
    Sure whatever you say.

Sounds political to me though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators+Jan 2 2004, 04:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (tailgators @ Jan 2 2004, 04:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -jets5ever@Jan 2 2004, 04:13 PM
    [b] [quote]Originally posted by -tailgators@Jan 2 2004, 02:58 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--jets5ever[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 03:39 PM

Tail -

My dad served with Kerry in the Navy. He knew him THEN. It&#39;s an evualution he made about the man&#39;s character after getting to KNOW him. It&#39;s not political. He didn&#39;t like him long berfore Kerry became a Senator. I am not disparaging Kerry&#39;s military record and my dad never has either. He just doens&#39;t like the man. My dad said he was a lying, two-faced bastard. [/b][/quote]
    Sure whatever you say.

Sounds political to me though. [/b][/quote]
    would it be political if he said truthul one faced hero...haha....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    People turn conservative when they get older because they don&#39;t want to pay as much in taxes.

My father is a perfect example. He is a lawyer who was into the whole hippie generation, he was at Woodstock, participated in protests, etc...

His first job as a lawyer was working for the Democrats in Queens, he helped get Republicans off the ballot, etc...

Now that he is older and richer all he complains about is taxes, he still works for the Democrats yet votes Republican across the board.

He tries to deny it, but I shot down every argument he had for voting Republican. The funniest thing was with Bush&#39;s tax plan his federal tax cut was less than his state tax increase. Go figure.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 2 2004, 05:20 PM
    [b] People turn conservative when they get older because they don&#39;t want to pay as much in taxes.

My father is a perfect example. He is a lawyer who was into the whole hippie generation, he was at Woodstock, participated in protests, etc...

His first job as a lawyer was working for the Democrats in Queens, he helped get Republicans off the ballot, etc...

Now that he is older and richer all he complains about is taxes, he still works for the Democrats yet votes Republican across the board.

He tries to deny it, but I shot down every argument he had for voting Republican. The funniest thing was with Bush&#39;s tax plan his federal tax cut was less than his state tax increase. Go figure. [/b][/quote]
    perfect example,,he gets smarter he goes repub,,,u r still young and daddy payin freight and u r a liberal,,your time will come young grasshopper