Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Pete Rose

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares if the guy bet on baseball? I mean seriously, do you honestly care if Pete Rose bet on baseball? After 14 years, I still don't see where the crime is. Only the things he accomplished on the field are etched in my mind. The gambling stuff, to me, was always minor. Pete Rose lived, and breathed, baseball. Even his illness involved baseball. Give the guy a f-cking break. The only crime that resulted from all this, was possibly the hit on Giamatti. Giamatti's sudden heart attack. Right.

Darryl Strawberry got how many chances?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Betting on baseall cuts right into the heart of the integrity of the game. Also bear in mind, that it was Pete Rose himself who agreed to the life time suspension.

That being said, here is how I would resolve the current Pete Rose situation.

1 - Allow him to be eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame.

2 - Keep the lifetime ban in place and have him remain ineligible for any full time paying job in professional baseball.

3 - Allow him to fully participate in any type of MLB sanctioned Oldtimers events.

4 - After one year allow him to participate in spring training as an instructor (similar to how the YANKEES use Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra). During these Spring Training sessions in addition to his room and board I would allow him to be paid on a per diem basis.

I think these conditions would be totally fair.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]"Betting on baseall cuts right into the heart of the integrity of the game"[/b]

How?

And if he cut into the heart of the integrity of the game, why pimp him to the young players, pay him for his services, and denounce him at the same time?

Cut the wishy-washy bullsh-t, and let the gamer in.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetworld[/i]@Jan 5 2004, 02:57 PM
    [b] [b]"Betting on baseall cuts right into the heart of the integrity of the game"[/b]

How?

[/b][/quote]
    Are you serious?

As a manager Pete Rose was able to affect the outcome of the game, so if he had a bet on a particular game how can the public be sure that game was on the level?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He never bet against his own team.

If he bet for his team, then he was able to affect, what, how much his team won the game by? How exactly does a manager accomplish that? It's still up to the players.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetworld[/i]@Jan 5 2004, 11:20 PM
    [b] He never bet against his own team.

If he bet for his team, then he was able to affect, what, how much his team won the game by? How exactly does a manager accomplish that? It's still up to the players. [/b][/quote]
    As the manager Pete Rose was able to manipulate games in countless ways to increase his odds of winning bets even if he was only betting on his team to win.

Here are only two examples, first he could have manipulated the starting pitching rotation to suit the games he bet on. Second, if he had a bet on a particular game he could have extended a reliever much longer than he otherwise would have.

Besides, I'm not going to necessarily believe Pete Rose when he says he only bet on his team to win. Afterall, he's a proven liar.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tail is 100% right - Rose's word is worthless. He says he never bet on his team. So what?? He also said (arrogantly anf consistently, for 14 years) that he never even bet on baseball at all. His word is meaningless. It is folly to assume that he never bet on his own team or bet against his team, just as it was folly to believe him for these last 14 years when he consistently denied everything, even in the face of damning evidence.

A manager can easily do things to increase the odds of winning or losing a single game, Tail gave good examples.

I think he should make the HOF as a player, sure, because he does have merit in that regard. But I am not shedding a single tear for the guy just cause he can't be a broadcaster or manager. Actions have consequences...admitting some action doesn't absolve you from the consequences of those actions. Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetworld[/i]@Jan 5 2004, 11:20 PM
    [b] He never bet against his own team.

If he bet for his team, then he was able to affect, what, how much his team won the game by? How exactly does a manager accomplish that? It's still up to the players. [/b][/quote]
    It doesn't matter, the point is that he bet on his team and his decision making process could have been effected because of it.

Even on days he didn't bet the outcome of the game could be in doubt. What if Pete knew he was betting on the Reds the next day and held Norm Charlton out of the game because of it? What if he stretched Tom Browing out a few more innings because he bet on it?

Maxman
    I say Pete Rose gets in after:

1. Shoeless Joe Jackson gets reinstated and elected to the HOF.
    2. Pete waits as many years as Joe Jackson had to wait.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta agree with Tail on this one. There are cardinal rules to baseball. One of the big ones being you don't bet on your team. Especially when your on it. Pete Rose betting on baseball did cut into the integrity of the game, as Tail described, because it basically showed to the public that the one game everyone loves, "The National Pastime" can be corrupted. How would you know whether your team was throwing the game or not for money. No one would be able to trust players or coaches anymore.

Pete Rose just admitted to gambling on baseball 14 years after LYING HIS A$$ OFF about it. Why agree to a lifetime ban if say your not guilty? It shows you what kind of character the man has. None. If he's lied to us about betting, then it's probably a sure bet he's lied about other things, such as betting against his own team. Hell, he could have even "thrown" games by making key substitiutions in certain situations in the game. To also show what kind of a man he is, he releases his autobiography *coincidentally* around the same time as the hall of fame voting. So basically he only cares about himself because instead of Dennis Eckersley and Paul Molitor getting their notice for making the hall, everyone has the spotlight on Rose instead, which is where he wanted it to be. He only admitted to betting so he could make money off of it and he only wants in the hall of fame to make more money for himself. I don't care what he did as a player, the man is a disgrace to the game I love and doesn't deserve for one minute to be in the hall.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta agree with tail. Let him in the HoF with a big line about his ban for betting on the plaque and keep him off the field forever unless he changes his ways. Until this guy decides he's giving up Vegas and the track and gets into some treatment or GA, who's to say he won't be back in the same kettle of soup again if he gets in deep to a bookmaker? I'd love to know if when he got in deep-as his book even admits-he told bookies inside stuff to cover his losses-injuries, pesonal problems, illnesses, hangovers. If he bet on his team regulalry, [i]not betting on his team [/i]was almost a signal to his bookie that he didn't expect to win.Betting on your team is no better, since as a manger he can manipulate his pitching staff to win one game at the expense of another. And you can't trust anything the guy says after lying for 14 years. Will he some time in the future tell us he threw games when he's hard up for cash with his next book-holding guys out, putting lesser players and pitchers in, calling bunts and hit&runs and posititioning at the wrong time? We don't know and we can't trust anything he says.