Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Job growth still lacking in recovery?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bitonti, as I've stated, I've been a registered Republican since I was a teen. First election I got to vote in was 1992. For years, I felt everything Republican was right. Since about 2001, however, I started to relalize that merely following one-party "blindly" was unwise.

If the runaway deficits and lavish social spending wasn't enough, **** decides to give full amnesty to 10-15 million illegal aliens in the nation holding down wages already.

To top that, he wants a "guest-worker" program with no limits. Essentially, he want's to turn every American into nothing more than a indentured surf, making minimum wage or less.

It doesn't take a genius to know how the law of supply and demand works on wages. :

Now this story comes out today? This is devasting. Was never foolish enough to think politicians were "honest", but this is beyond belief to the almost "sureal"--[quote][b]The 0.2 percentage point drop in the jobless rate occurred because fewer people were looking for work, the Labor Department said Friday. [b]More than 300,000 people gave up their search for jobs and dropped out of the pool of available workers.[/b]

"The rate is going down, but it is going down for the wrong reasons," said Bill Cheney, chief economist at John Hancock Financial, noting that it fell not because people were finding work. [b]"That doesn't make you feel really good about the state of the jobs market."[/b] :o [/b][/quote]

[url=http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20040109-0725-economy.html]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/busines...25-economy.html[/url]

[b]By the way I, by no means, am exonerating the Democrats here.[/b] But it was my party leader, that "claimed" America had a "short-supply" of workers this week :o

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Riggins44[/i]@Jan 9 2004, 09:06 PM
    [b] Bitonti, as I've stated, I've been a registered Republican since I was a teen. First election I got to vote in was 1992. For years, I felt everything Republican was right. Since about 2001, however, I started to relalize that merely following one-party "blindly" was unwise.

If the runaway deficits and lavish social spending wasn't enough, Bush decides to give full amnesty to 10-15 million illegal aliens in the nation holding down wages already.

To top that, he wants a "guest-worker" program with no limits. Essentially, he want's to turn every American into nothing more than a indentured surf, making minimum wage or less.

It doesn't take a genius to know how the law of supply and demand works on wages. Basically, Bush wan't to use all of the nearly 6 billion people on the planet as "potential U.S workers", in order to supress wages for his big biz. cronies :blink:

Now this story comes out today? This is devasting. Was never foolish enough to think politicians were "honest", but this is beyond belief to the almost "sureal"--[quote][b]The 0.2 percentage point drop in the jobless rate occurred because fewer people were looking for work, the Labor Department said Friday. [b]More than 300,000 people gave up their search for jobs and dropped out of the pool of available workers.[/b]

"The rate is going down, but it is going down for the wrong reasons," said Bill Cheney, chief economist at John Hancock Financial, noting that it fell not because people were finding work. [b]"That doesn't make you feel really good about the state of the jobs market."[/b] :o [/b][/quote]

[url=http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/business/20040109-0725-economy.html]http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/busines...25-economy.html[/url]

[b]By the way I, by no means, am exonerating the Democrats here.[/b] But it was my party leader, that "claimed" America had a "short-supply" of workers this week :o [/b][/quote]
    I had breakfast this morning with the chairman of the county Republican party. He's my next door neighbor and one of my best friends.

He asked me why did I think Bush would want to someday have a manned mission to Mars? I replied that it was probably in the search for some form of life.

He told me I was correct.

That if the astronauts found life up there that they'd have instructions from Bush to recuit them as another source of cheap labor for the United States! :lol:

It can't be a good sign for Bush if Republican Chairmen are making jokes and ridiculing his latest domestic proposals.

I don't think Bush realizes exactly how much he's irritated his core supporters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone knows that job recovery is the last thing to show improvement in a recovering economy.

Second, the presidents proposal will never see the light of day. I'm sure the democrits in Congress will set fit to do their duty and do whats best for this country, right tailgators?

I'm sure the democrits will step right up and stop any sort of immigrant work or amnesty program, right tailgators?

Bush is not perfect, but he's 100000000000000000000% better than anything the democritic party can coax out from under their rocks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b]I had breakfast this morning with the chairman of the county Republican party. He's my next door neighbor and one of my best friends.

He asked me why did I think Bush would want to someday have a manned mission to Mars? I replied that it was probably in the search for some form of life.

He told me I was correct.

That if the astronauts found life up there that they'd have instructions from Bush to recuit them as another source of cheap labor for the United States!

It can't be a good sign for Bush if Republican Chairmen are making jokes and ridiculing his latest domestic proposals.

I don't think Bush realizes exactly how much he's irritated his core supporters. [/b][/quote]

Response to Tailgators respectfully deleted...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a regular poster on the Businessweek B-School Fourms, as well as a regular poster on these boards. Over the past few months I've seen an akward trend in what International students are starting to expect from U.S. Graduate schools.

The most 'disturbing' notion is the fact that a lot of them can't understand why the top-tier schools have a cap on the amount of international students they admit. In general, the nations best MBA programs (Havard, Chicago, Wharton, Kellog, Columbia) have a population breakdown of about 30% International students. My question to them is.......ISN'T 30% of the U.S. MARKET ENOUGH.

I don't have a problem with these private institutions admitting whoever they (Regardless of the fact that all of them receive HUGE U.S. funded reseach grants). My problem is, why are public institutions like U. Michigan, UNC, Virginia Darden, & USC following suit. Their primary goals should be to provide an "affordable means" of education to state residents, then U.S. residents, then to Internationals. Instead, it seems as though all our institutions are more concerned with placing a footprint in Madras/Delhi/Shanghai instead of restablishing the 'surperior value' of the American worker.

Econmists have beat the theory of Comparative Advantage in our head for years. I don't think it was ever understood that other countries (India/China/Brazil) could offer a comparative advantage over the U.S. in the Service Industry. The growth of the International student and the perpetuation of outsourcing is lending a big hand in the destruction of the U.S. economy. "Everybody give a round of applause to BIG BUSINESS".

Let me finish by saying that India/China/Nigeria are throwing surperior students (Ahem...Test Takers) to the pool, because their institutions drill standardized test taking skills in their heads from the beginning. The ability to quickly calculate and manipulate numbers leads to their dominance in the engineering and IT fields. It doesn't, however, mean that their business and management acumen is superior to anyone elses. And so the cycle continues.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    TB, capitalisim is a great system. You look at Russia and Cuba and you find the alternatives just stink. However, capitalisim, taking to an extreme, in the long run, will be a major downfall of our nation. I really believe that.

You can chase the dollar at every turn, but if you do it to an extreme amount, you lose your nation!

TB, I agree with your points about our nations colleges shunning American students in favor of International students. I saw a 60 Minutes episode a few years back, were even the ultra-"leftwingers" of 60 Minutes were ashamed of how most U.S medical schools operated.

In the segement, 60 Minutes brought up the fact that only something like 20% of Americans students that apply to med-school in U.S get in. They showed plenty of U.S students that had 4.0 averages in pre-med, that were denied admission. Meanwhile, something like 45-50% of the slots at some schools were taken by imported med-students.

Why? Appearently, the Gov't has a scam worked out, were these students, once they graduate, agree to work for much less money for the first several years out of med-school. Also, many of the foreign students are skewed to highy "undesriable" urban or rural medical centers...again, "[i]jobs Americans don't want[/i]" nonsense pops up :rolleyes:

TB, the most laughable thing in the support for the H-1B Visa is this: It help's "diversify" the workforce....Comical, considering the Congessianal Black Caucus has spoken out very strongly against the H-1B Visa. Like Charles Rangel once said (I think): If these companies really embrace diversity, I've got a 100,000 minority kids in my district that could be trained, in time, to do these IT jobs.

TB, it's never about diversity. Not in business; not in politics.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]riggo[/b]

great thread - as im sure you know, and as im sure TerryBadway could speak on more eloquently than I - these jobs that are gone are "Structrually" gone - not "cyclically" gone - in layman's terms they are gone to places like India and the Phillipenes and WILL NEVER RETURN ON THEIR OWN, no matter how long people like [b]Come Back to NY[/b] want to wait for them. Don't hold your breath buddy.

People might think i am a card-carrying democrat but the truth is i am and have always been a registered Independant in favor of [b]isolationism[/b]. Besides implications for the middle east, this would also entail [i]far stricter[/i] border controls and protecting the domestic economic interests.

the Bush camp doesn't care about quality of life for the average American. They care far more about quality of investment return for the average stockholder. and that's the sad truth - everything this administration does is looking out for the corporation rather than the citizen.

in related news General Wesley Clark recieved an endorsement from Enron whistle-blower Shannon Doyle on friday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][b][b]The real story behind the Bush plan[/b]

As there must be billions of people willing to come and work for a fraction of our minimum wage—and exploit our social safety net—the number who could come under the Bush guest-worker program is almost infinite.

Imagine a car wash that employs 40 African-American, Latino, and white working-class folks at $8 an hour each. A new car wash down the street opens up, offering 40 new jobs at $5.15 an hour. No Americans apply. Under Bush’s proposal, that employer would be free to go to Asia, Africa, and Latin America, round up workers, and bring them in.

The new car wash with its foreign workers then drives the old car wash with its American workers out of business. Taxpayers are then forced to subsidize the newly unemployed—and pay for the medical care, food stamps, rent supplements, welfare, and schooling of all the new immigrants and their families, provide legal services when they get in trouble and pay for more cops to police their neighborhoods.[/b][/quote]

Bit, the scariest part of this amnesty/ guest worker plan, is there are officially 18 million unemployed Americans (figuring a 5.7% unemployment rate).

Throw in the fact that those numbers would be twice as high if they included "discouraged workers", and you'd see there are probably about 30 million unemployed or "non-fully employed" Americans.

Right now, anyone with big money could build a factory were the toughest jobs you can ever imagine are needed to be filled. Jobs where Americans made $ 25-30 an hour in the 1980's and 1990's...However, with Bush's plan (fully backed by the Demo's), a new company seeking a thousand new employees would only have to advertise those $20 to $30 jobs for a week or two at $5.15 an hour...After that, they can import 1,000 new workers at minimum wage, when no Americans take the jobs :o

Ask this: How will the GOP prosper longterm, if the poverty level of the country rises to enourmous levels? :blink:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]Bit [/b]- if you look past the social commentary (of which he is just far to the right of myself) and strictly to the points he makes about isolationism, you may find that you agree with Pat Buchanon on more issues than you think.

Read "The Great Betrayal" or "A Republic, Not an Empire." Greast Betrayal is more to this point....

His most recent 'Death of the West' I haven't read.

He talks a lot about "losing faith" and the moral failings of contemporaries, but if you can get past that (I don't necessarily agree with his views there) he does make some salient points about things you talk about frquently.

He is a "paleo-con." He's against the Iraq war and hates the neos...he a Joseph Sobran are possibly my two favorite paleos....