Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wesley Clark: Chicken-Hawk!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exerpt from the Drudge Report:

But just six month prior in an op-ed in the LONDON TIMES Clark offered praise for the courage of President Bush's action.

"[b]President Bush and Tony Blair should be proud of their resolve in the face of so much doubt," Clark wrote on April 10, 2003. "Can anything be more moving than the joyous throngs swarming the streets of Baghdad? Memories of the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the defeat of Milosevic in Belgrade flood back. Statues and images of Saddam are smashed and defiled[/b]."

Even the most ardent Clark supporter will question if Clark's current and past stand on the Iraq war -- is confusion or deception, after the DRUDGE REPORT reveals:

[b]TWO WEEKS BEFORE CONGRESS PASSED THE IRAQ CONGRESSIONAL RESOLUTION WESLEY CLARK MADE THE CASE FOR WAR; TESTIFIED THAT SADDAM HAD 'CHEMICAL AND BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS'[/b]

Less than 18 months ago, Wesley Clark offered his testimony before the Committee On Armed Services at the U.S. House Of Representatives.

"[b]There's no requirement to have any doctrine here. I mean this is simply a longstanding right of the United States and other nations to take the actions they deem necessary in their self defense," Clark told Congress on September 26, 2002[/b].

"[b]Every president has deployed forces as necessary to take action. He's done so without multilateral support if necessary. He's done so in advance of conflict if necessary[/b]. In my experience, I was the commander of the European forces in NATO. When we took action in Kosovo, we did not have United Nations approval to do this and we did so in a way that was designed to preempt Serb ethnic cleansing and regional destabilization there. There were some people who didn' t agree with that decision. The United Nations was not able to agree to support it with a resolution."

Clark continued: "There's no question that Saddam Hussein is a threat... [b][SIZE=4]Yes, he has chemical and biological weapons. He's had those for a long time. But the United States right now is on a very much different defensive posture than we were before September 11th of 2001... He is, as far as we know, actively pursuing nuclear capabilities, though he doesn't have nuclear warheads yet. If he were to acquire nuclear weapons, I think our friends in the region would face greatly increased risks as would we[/SIZE][/b]."

More Clark: "[b]And, I want to underscore that I think the United States should not categorize this action as preemptive. Preemptive and that doctrine has nothing whatsoever to do with this problem. As Richard Perle so eloquently pointed out, this is a problem that's longstanding. It's been a decade in the making. It needs to be dealt with and the clock is ticking on this[/b]."

Clark explained: "I think there's no question that, even though we may not have the evidence as Richard [Perle] says, that there have been such contacts [between Iraq and al Qaeda]. It' s normal. It's natural. These are a lot of bad actors in the same region together. They are going to bump into each other. They are going to exchange information. They're going to feel each other out and see whether there are opportunities to cooperate. That's inevitable in this region, and I think it's clear that regardless of whether or not such evidence is produced of these connections that Saddam Hussein is a threat."

[color=green]Those must be footsteps I hear.[/color]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is all well and good, but Ted Kennedy is my moral compass.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    hummmdididi-hummmmmdididi-hummmmmmdididi-do :D

Or as our President's campaign advisers are saying:

[SIZE=4][b]NEXT![/b][/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    bottom line

if the worst the right can come up with to attack Clark is inconsistancies in statements RE: Iraq War (and apparently that's all they got to date)

then its gonna be a long campaign for you, boys

Clark can talk about

-Bush's year AWOL
    -Bush's record deficits
    -Bush's disregard for the lives of soldiers
    -Bush cutting military pay
    -Bush cutting military benefits
    -Bush structurally losing 2.5M jobs
    -Bush doing everything possible to help the rich and screw the poor
    -Bush in bed with all manner of corporate interests
    -the USA PATRIOT ACT
    -failure to capture Osama Bin Ladin

and on and on and on

but nothing is as scary as *gasp* inconsistant statements :o

by the way anyone who calls a 4 star general medal of freedom winner "a chicken hawk" has no f--king idea what the term means.

Clark was taking bullets in Nam when Bush was AWOL from the Texas air natl guard.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    hummmdididi-hummmmmdididi-hummmmmmdididi-do :D

[SIZE=4][b]NEXT![/b][/SIZE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Come Back to NY[/i]@Jan 15 2004, 08:21 PM
    [b] hummmdididi-hummmmmdididi-hummmmmmdididi-do :D

[SIZE=4][b]NEXT![/b][/SIZE] [/b][/quote]
    another intelligent responce from a brainwashed Bush supporter

wait a sec maybe you can help me... his campaign advisors... those are the people with their hands up his ass making his mouth move?

or is that the energy lobby :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 15 2004, 08:20 PM
    [b] bottom line

but nothing is as scary as *gasp* inconsistant statements :o [/b][/quote]
    er...you mean utter hypocrisy right? Sounds like clarke's running a little afraid now...don't it boys??

Clark: Congress Must Mull Legality of Iraq War

Thursday, January 15, 2004

MANCHESTER, N.H. Democratic presidential candidate Wesley Clark (search) said Thursday it was up to Congress to determine whether President Bush's march to war in Iraq (search) amounted to a criminal offense.

Asked if it was criminal to mislead the nation in going to war, Clark told reporters, "I think that's a question Congress needs to ask. I think this Congress needs to investigate precisely" how the United States wound up in a war "that wasn't connected to the threat of Al Qaeda (search)."

The retired four-star general defended his recent comments against the war after both his Democratic rivals and top Republicans complained that the statements were inconsistent with past remarks by Clark, including testimony to Congress in October 2002.

Clark has called for a full congressional probe into why the United States went to war in Iraq, but his comments Thursday marked the first time he had hinted at possible criminal wrongdoing.

Asked by a reporter if he thought Bush might have committed an impeachable offense, Clark said, "Let's have that investigation done."

For more on the campaign, click to view Foxnews.com's You Decide 2004 page.

Clark renewed his criticism that Bush misled the nation on Iraq. "This was an elective war," he said. "He forced us to go to war."

Clark denied that he had changed his position on the war, renewing his assertion that he had opposed it all along. Earlier in the day, Ed Gillespie, the RNC chairman, had traveled to Arkansas -- Clark's home state -- and criticized the Democratic candidates, singling out Clark and arguing that he had changed his position on the war for political gain.

The RNC also released a transcript of Clark's testimony in September 2002 to the House Armed Services Committee in which he called Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein a clear threat and said military action could not be postponed indefinitely.

Responding to criticism from Gillespie, Clark told reporters that it was a sign that his campaign was succeeding.

"It looks like they've finally figured out that I'm George Bush's greatest threat," he said, blaming it on White House political adviser Karl Rove.

wait...what's that sound???[b][i]It's clarke's numbers falling faster then the mercury!![/i][/b] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bitonti - for the last time, Bush INCREASED military pay and benefits. Free trade was around long before Bush came upon the scene. The AWOL thing didn't hurt him the first time around when he ran against a guy who "served" in Vietnam. What disregard for soldiers' lives are you referring to?

"Help the rich and screw the poor" - you're just too smart for these childish rants.

"In bed with corporations" - c'mon dude, get real. Name me a single politician who isn't.

PATRIOT ACT was passed pretty strongly bi-partisan style and it isn't the Dickensian horror-show the shrieking left would have you believe.

Failure to capture OBL is technically true, but he has been effective in Afganistan and has certainly caught or killed very, very many of their ringleaders and operatives.

It's not the deficit that scares me, per se, as it is his overall fiscal irresponsibility. Besides, the deficit is NOT the largest ever, in % terms. But I will give you that one.

Look, I am pissed at him too, but at least be rational.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    three words for GOP criticism of clark

"BRING IT ON"

this guy is cleaner than the driven snow

ya know the stuff Bush used to snort in the early 80s

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 15 2004, 08:20 PM
    [b] but nothing is as scary as *gasp* inconsistant statements :o

by the way anyone who calls a 4 star general medal of freedom winner "a chicken hawk" has no f--king idea what the term means.

Clark was taking bullets in Nam when Bush was AWOL from the Texas air natl guard. [/b][/quote]
    So if the "honorable" Wesley Clark says going into Iraq was the right thing to do, shouldn't you belive him, bit?

Clark didn't take a bullet in Iraq, and he seems to be for the war (campaign not withstanding) so the liberal terminology "Chicken Hawk" seems appropriate in this case.

Bush was running Texas when Wesley Clark was being fired from his post for "questionable character" from none other than Bill Clinton. When a Bill Clinton fires you for questionable character, that's pretty damn bad.

How many times are you guys gonna get egg in your faces before you give up? (Please don't, this is waaaay too easy)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he who laughs last laughs best

the GOP is scared of Clark cause he's smart he's talented and he can win

i'm riding out this ****storm with a smile on my face

cause at the end of the day of Nov 4 the scum will be swept from the white house

and this nation can be proud of its President for a change

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fari enough Bit. But you certainly must see the irony of your blind allegiance to Clark in the face of what are some valid criticisms. I mean, all you ever do is accuse Bush's supporters of being sheep.

If he is your guy, that's great. He may very well win. But spare me the idea that he's infallible.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    5ever lets be real the worst thing they can say about Clark is that he once was for the war.

Big deal. People can't change their mind?

He didn't order the nation to war
    He didn't vote for the war

he made a statement... that's it

i can live with a candidate that makes changes on the fly if he realizes he was wrong

Bush has never backtracked? Bush has never said anything at one time and then said something contradictory later?

to hear the shrieks of this thread you'd think he was caught getting bj's in the oval office!

--

besides the fact that the war isn't the be all and end all issue - the real issue is Bush's gross mismanagement of this nations economy, policy, environment, infrastructure and diplomacy. the war in Iraq is only one piece of the puzzle. What i want to know is where is this country going, and how are we getting there?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 15 2004, 08:58 PM
    [b] 5ever lets be real the worst thing they can say about Clark is that he once was for the war.

Big deal. People can't change their mind?

He didn't order the nation to war
    He didn't vote for the war

he made a statement... that's it

i can live with a candidate that makes changes on the fly if he realizes he was wrong

Bush has never backtracked? Bush has never said anything at one time and then said something contradictory later?

to hear the shrieks of this thread you'd think he was caught getting bj's in the oval office!

--

besides the fact that the war isn't the issue - the issue is Bush's gross mismanagement of this nations economy, policy, environment, infrastructure and diplomacy. the war in Iraq is only one piece of the puzzle. [/b][/quote]
    To imitate a former MNF broadcaster...in rythm now, "Turn off the lights....the party's over...." :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Spirit of Weeb[/i]@Jan 15 2004, 08:44 PM
    [b] So if the "honorable" Wesley Clark says going into Iraq was the right thing to do, shouldn't you belive him, bit? [/b][/quote]
    I believe what Clark says NOW. 1/15/03

whatever he said before is basically irrelivant. He wasn't even an elected official. He gave a speech for his friends in the admin.

i have no illusions about Clark's past. This dude is for all intents and purposes a republican. I have NO QUALMS with that whatsoever, in fact its the only thing that makes him remotely electable in the current social environment

its not like he nailed Christ to the Cross. Frankly I can forgive this error in judgement for the sake of the big picture.

What he says now is 100% more important to what he said then.

you want to talk about the past,

how come i don't see Clark's affidavit defending Affirmative action in the MICH supreme court case?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    jeeezzz, I just heard a huge crash outside, sounded like a big accident. I've got to go check it out, will let you know what it is....oh, no big deal. Just Clarks numbers falling through the ground :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :lol: yeah ok in your dreams maybe.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 15 2004, 09:06 PM
    [b] :lol: yeah ok in your dreams maybe. [/b][/quote]
    bitonti...the democrats are running out of candidates; quick, catch the next flight to Iowa...you're probably more qualified then any of them :P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bit -

Fair enough. Those are valid concerns. I don't think this stuff will end up harming Clark that much, honestly. It does, IMO, kind of call into question everything he ever says though, because he clearly is inconsistent. But I was actually impressed with the text of his remarks and election-year rhetoric aside, I am glad he is a guy who seems like he'd act with conviction in the future.

He's just backing off of it NOW cause he wants to win as a Dem. I understand the need to Bush-bash during an election cycle. The rhetoric goes up a notch. It's standard. I have no doubt he firmly believed what he was saying in 2002. But that's a good thing if he wins, from my perspective.

Ugh - I am still at work!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 15 2004, 09:11 PM
    [b] Bit -

Fair enough. Those are valid concerns. I don't this stuff will end up harming Clark that much, honestly. It does, IMO, kind of call into question everything he ever says though, because he clearly is inconsistent. But I was actually impressed with the text of his remarks and election-year rhetoric aside, I am glad he is a guy who seems like he's act with conviction in the future.

He's just backing off of it NOW cause he wants to win as a Dem. I have no doubt he firmly believed what he was saying in 2002. But that's a good thing if he wins, from my perspective.

Ugh - I am still at work! [/b][/quote]
    I disagree with you 5ever...if Clark gets the nomination, which I highly doubt now, and he continues to spout off how the war was wrong and the President was a warmonger, these speeches and quotes will give the Republicans enough campaign ads for the next decade.

It is like clinton saying, "i did not have sex with that women" then, after getting caught with his pants down saying, "i had inapproiate relations with that women".

Not only was that damaging but had it happened prior to the election he would've been run off.