Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Text of Clark's GLORIUS SPEECH of 9/26/02

[quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Jan 16 2004, 04:37 PM
    [b] bit... I think that when the American people can make a side by side comparison between Kerry and Bush that Kerry would win in a landslide. John Kerry has an indepth knowledge of so many issues while Bush just skims along the surface.

BTW...The early buzz is that Bush won't participate in any debates this fall. That'll be interesting. [/b][/quote]
    perhaps... we shall see

i will grant you this if Kerry wins the nomination i will support him without looking back, hopefully you will grant me the same RE: clark

as for Bush dodging the debates that's not a surprise. The man is semi-retarded when it comes to extemporanious public speaking. His handlers don't want the nation to know how truly dumb he really is. Not surprising at all. Hopefully they still broadcast the debates and just let the Dem candidate speak their mind for 30 mins (more wishful thinking im sure)

Banned
    Don't look now. Heeeeere's Johnny!!

January 16, 2004
    [b]Kerry Seen to Tighten Race in Final Days Of Iowa Campaign[/b]
    By KIRK SEMPLE

enator John Kerry tried to maintain today what he called a "surge" in his campaign as the Democratic presidential candidates entered the final weekend of campaigning before the state's caucuses on Monday.

According to both public and private measurements, including surveys and the campaigns' own estimates, Mr. Kerry appears to have increased his popularity in recent days and is in an extremely tight race with Howard Dean, Representative Richard A. Gephardt and Senator John Edwards.

"I've always believed in this candidacy," Mr. Kerry told reporters on his campaign bus en route to a rally at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa, where an unexpectedly large crowd, including several hundred students, forced a change of venue to a larger space. "I believe in this candidate, I believe in myself, in what I can offer as leadership to the country."

He added, "It's up to the American people to decide whether they want that or not, but I've been consistent about my programs, consistent about my vision for the country."

The four top candidates continued their criss-crossing of the state today, traveling by bus, helicopter and caravans of 18-wheelers, with the aim of getting supporters to their election precincts on Monday. A strong showing in Iowa, they hope, will give them momentum in the New Hampshire primaries on Jan. 27.

As Mr. Kerry has enjoyed his late rise, he has also managed to remain largely out of the fray of a tussle between Dr. Dean and Mr. Gephardt, whom public opinion polls have indicated for weeks to be the top contenders in Monday's caucus votes, the first binding electoral test in the race for the 2004 Democratic presidential nomination.

Dr. Dean has amassed numerous high-profile endorsements and an enormous war chest from his prolific fund-raising, and Mr. Gephardt has corralled the backing of organized labor. Their campaigns are widely considered to be the best-organized, which is critical for an event that is heavily dependent on getting supporters out of their homes and to their caucuses.

Mr. Gephardt stepped up his attacks on Dr. Dean this week as the race appeared to be narrowing to a two-man finish. In speeches and a television advertisement, he questioned Dr. Dean's consistency and trustworthiness, accusing him of flip-flopping on key issues such as Medicare and Social Security.

Mr. Gephardt, speaking today on the "Early Show" on CBS before beginning another day of public events in Iowa, asserted that his recent aggressiveness toward Dr. Dean was nothing new.

"We've been talking about these issues for months," he said. "I've been pointing out that if we're going to beat George Bush, we have to have a candidate who has a strong and consistent position on Medicare and Social Security."

But Mr. Gephardt's campaign manager said later that they would be removing the anti-Dean television commercial from the air in response to what he said was a decision by the Dean campaign to withdraw a commercial that was critical of several candidates' support for a Congressional authorization of the war in Iraq.

"Howard Dean is taking off his negative ad, and we're doing the same thing," the campaign manager, Steve Murphy, said in a conference call with reporters. "We're very pleased that everybody is getting onto a positive track."

Addressing a question about Mr. Kerry's improving position in the polls, Mr. Murphy said it would not affect Mr. Gephardt's candidacy. "`Dean has come down dramatically and John Kerry has risen a little bit, probably as a result of Dean's collapse," he said. "We have held steady."

He added: "We are as confident of victory as we have ever been."

For his part, Dr. Dean did not address the apparent Kerry phenomenon and did not answer questions from reporters as he campaigned in Iowa today.

Senator Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut, who, like Gen. Wesley K. Clark, is not competing in Iowa, said today that a tight race in the caucuses would open the rest of the primary season to any candidate.

"The bottom line is this is an open, Democratic contest, totally undecided," he said during a stop at the Friendly Toast restaurant in Portsmouth, N.H., The Associated Press reported. "The news to me from Iowa is that every vote counts because it is a tight race."

David M. Halbfinger contributed reporting for this article from Decorah, Iowa, and Rachel L. Swarns contributed reporting from Rockwell City, Iowa.

David M. Halbfinger contributed reporting for this article from Decorah, Iowa, and Rachel L. Swarns contributed reporting from Rockwell City, Iowa.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti+Jan 16 2004, 03:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (bitonti @ Jan 16 2004, 03:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--tailgators[/i]@Jan 16 2004, 04:37 PM
    [b] bit... I think that when the American people can make a side by side comparison between Kerry and Bush that Kerry would win in a landslide. John Kerry has an indepth knowledge of so many issues while Bush just skims along the surface.

BTW...The early buzz is that Bush won&#39;t participate in any debates this fall. That&#39;ll be interesting. [/b][/quote]
    perhaps... we shall see

i will grant you this if Kerry wins the nomination i will support him without looking back, hopefully you will grant me the same RE: clark

as for Bush dodging the debates that&#39;s not a surprise. The man is semi-retarded when it comes to extemporanious public speaking. His handlers don&#39;t want the nation to know how truly dumb he really is. Not surprising at all. Hopefully they still broadcast the debates and just let the Dem candidate speak their mind for 30 mins (more wishful thinking im sure) [/b][/quote]
    No offense, but Bush soundly defeated Al Gore in the 2000 debates. Gore was supposed to be the hyper-intelligent, policy wonk who was licking his chops at the prospect of facing Bush. The debates ended up hurting Gore and helping Bush.

Similarly, Cheney pretty much crushed Lieberman in the only VP debate...which was bizarre since that guys seems to have the personality of a stump.

I guarantee Bush debates in the fall.

The &#39;conservatives are stupid&#39; argument just never gets old. It is amazing how arrogant people are, seriously.

[b]5ever[/b]

all that proves to me is that while Bush is semi-retarded - GORE is FULLY RETARDED. look up "stuffed shirt" in the dictionary and a picture of Al Gore is there. Don&#39;t even get me started on Leiberman.

if Gore had even a thimble-ful of charisma he would have been President. I don&#39;t blame the 2000 election on FLA shenanigans or anything like that... i blame it on Al Gore being a big fat unelectable loser. He talks like he was the science club kid in your school that got wedgeed everyday like clockwork. Just embarassing.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 16 2004, 04:00 PM
    [b] [b]5ever[/b]

all that proves to me is that while Bush is semi-retarded - GORE is FULLY RETARDED. look up "stuffed shirt" in the dictionary and a picture of Al Gore is there. Don&#39;t even get me started on Leiberman.

if Gore had even a thimble-ful of charisma he would have been President. I don&#39;t blame the 2000 election on FLA shenanigans or anything like that... i blame it on Al Gore being a big fat unelectable loser. He talks like he was the science club kid in your school that got wedgeed everyday like clockwork. Just embarassing. [/b][/quote]
    True - he had virtually no charisma whatsoever. However, I think the expectationsfor Bush were so low and the expectations for Gore so high in the debates that Gore&#39;s failure was exaggerated and Bush&#39;s success as well. You can&#39;t tame Schrodinger&#39;s Cat&#33;

I&#39;ve read that in private Gore is actually funny and engaging, but that he folds up like a shirt with too much starch under the lights, as it were. Can&#39;t remember where I read that....

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 16 2004, 05:09 PM
    [b] I&#39;ve read that in private Gore is actually funny and engaging, but that he folds up like a shirt with too much starch under the lights, as it were. Can&#39;t remember where I read that.... [/b][/quote]
    Bob Woodward wrote that in his book on the Clinton White House titled "The Agenda".

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 16 2004, 04:09 PM
    [b]
    I&#39;ve read that in private Gore is actually funny and engaging, but that he folds up like a shirt with too much starch under the lights, as it were. Can&#39;t remember where I read that.... [/b][/quote]

EXACTLY the same things said about Dole in &#39;96. And didn&#39;t both of them "prove" it by shilling for cheesy commercials in the aftermath of their losses?