Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dean Goes Ape&hit

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.drudgereport.com/dean.mp3]http://www.drudgereport.com/dean.mp3[/url]

Listen to this, this is hilarious. Dean has officially gone mad. George McGovern would be a better Democratic presidential candidate at this point than Dean.

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040120/capt.pcs11001200429.democrats_dean_pcs110.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040120/i/r1692326033.jpg[/img]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed Guns, I don't think I could ever bring myself to vote for Howard Dean.

Although to be fair, the drudge report should've linked Dean's entire statement. To just pull out a small fragment gives the listener a distorted account.

Lastly, George McGovern is a genuine American hero. Afterall, he did fly 35 bombing missions in the Pacific Theater during World War II. In the final analysis he was proven right about Richard Nixon and Vietnam. The country would've saved itself a lot of grief if he was elected in 1972.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    George McGovern endorsed General Wesley Clark a day ago.

Dean is/was and always has been an unelectable candidate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, drugereport is real objective journalism -- how's Clinton's illegitimate black baby doing these days? Why should this get any more resonance around here than snippets of Bushisms spliced together at moveon.org with some of his classic empty expressions as caption fodder?

Keep doing your best to paint Dean as a nutcase and photoshopping Nazi insingia on him -- every time you do it shows a level of fear that he IS actually electable and Republicans are just as scared of him as they are of Clark. They'd love nothing better than to have an obvious Bush-lite party hack like Lieberman to run against; he would be even easier than Gore was to out-maneuver.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jet Set -

I've seen the video in it entirety, it's downright HILARIOUS. He sounds like Randy Macho Man Savage talking smack before a fight. That scream at the end...I mean, if Bush did something similar you'd be having a field day.

Two points:

1) Dean does enough to further that impression of himself with his gaffes

2) The worst attacks levelled at Dean so far have come from OTHER Democrats, and not the GOP or Rush Limbaugh

I agree that the climate of debate in this country is awful. However, Dean HIMSELF is a big part of it. His ENTIRE candidacy is based upon naked rage. He literally implied that Bush knew in advance of 9-11 and all he ever does is talk about Halliburton. He's a one-trick pony and got called on it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Set Junta[/i]@Jan 20 2004, 11:50 AM
    [b] Yeah, drugereport is real objective journalism -- how's Clinton's illegitimate black baby doing these days? Why should this get any more resonance around here than snippets of Bushisms spliced together at moveon.org with some of his classic empty expressions as caption fodder?

Keep doing your best to paint Dean as a nutcase and photoshopping Nazi insingia on him -- every time you do it shows a level of fear that he IS actually electable and Republicans are just as scared of him as they are of Clark. They'd love nothing better than to have an obvious Bush-lite party hack like Lieberman to run against; he would be even easier than Gore was to out-maneuver. [/b][/quote]
    JetSet, I am a conservative Republican, and can tell you for certain that Dean does not scare me one iota.

The man is unelectable, and apparently Iowan democrats strongly agree. Nothing would make me happier than to see him win the democrat ticket.

Dean's "groundswell" that put him temporarily at the front of the pack just goes to show you that a small yet very vocal minority can create mini "stirs" when riled up, but when push comes to shove the fact that they are a small minority renders them irrelevant. The caucus results of last night just reinforces to me that Angry, far-left liberals are a very small minority on the fringes of society, and out of touch with 95% of the rest of America.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then I would again say you don't know much about "far left" liberals as you think you do. I live in a town full of "far left liberals", and they're all obsessed with Dennis Kucinich and think Dean is a centrist hack who didn't do enough for their hot-button issues. They think Clark is a nazi.

Iowa is not "95% of the country", and this caucus means very little in the grand scheme of things other than to end a few more useless campaigns like Gephardt's and give a shot in the arm to flailing ones like Kerry's and Edwards'.

I have no problem with people having "a field day" with snippets of the worst moments of Dean speeches; it's just as much fair game as the "Bush or Chimp" website. It does not, however, make any big Grand Statement about the overall candor of Dean's campaign. His website has some of the richest amount of in-depth material on every issue, and some good essays.

As I said before, I'm still undecided on Dean vs. Clark, though I did donate money to the former. I'm still busy reading every paper at every site, specifically Clark's vs. Dean's, and seeing a few more debates before the NY primary when it's my turn to decide. But caricaturizing Dean as an Angry crazed one-trick pony is every bit as disingenous as calling Bush an illiterate retarded fundamentalist which you guys scream about every time somebody does.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Set Junta[/i]@Jan 20 2004, 12:34 PM
    [b] His website has some of the richest amount of in-depth material on every issue, and some good essays.

[/b][/quote]
    I've been there, and you're right. Unfortunately for him, 95% of America is also intellectually lazy, so that in-depth material and those good essays won't do Mr. Dean much good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for at least backing up my point. I just think people on all sides -- and I know it's coming from the other Dems 5ever as part of the big game -- are really laying into Dean partly out of fear as much as good old plain disgust.

I mean, on this board alone people have called out Kerry for dropping an intentional F-bomb and smoking a mock joint in attempt to scurry leftwards and appeal to red-blooded young adults when his campaign was floundering. And last election, people were actually recycling EVERY one of the "Dan Quayle quotes" and attributing them to both Gore AND Bush in various forums.

People are intellectually lazy, fer sure, but a viable candidate will be good at having content on the issues, ability to rally people in auditoriums, AND ability to inspire people to mass grassroots organizing. Right now, Dean has those things going for him and many people have predicted he'll get the Democratic nod. Whether he wins or gets "McGoverned" is a whole different topic that will be HEAVILY dependent on what happens throughout the Summer if he even gets the nomination, rather than blanket statements about his image being made right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Jet Set Junta[/i]@Jan 20 2004, 12:00 PM
    [b] Thank you for at least backing up my point. I just think people on all sides -- and I know it's coming from the other Dems 5ever as part of the big game -- are really laying into Dean partly out of fear as much as good old plain disgust.

I mean, on this board alone people have called out Kerry for dropping an intentional F-bomb and smoking a mock joint in attempt to scurry leftwards and appeal to red-blooded young adults when his campaign was floundering. And last election, people were actually recycling EVERY one of the "Dan Quayle quotes" and attributing them to both Gore AND Bush in various forums.

People are intellectually lazy, fer sure, but a viable candidate will be good at having content on the issues, ability to rally people in auditoriums, AND ability to inspire people to mass grassroots organizing. Right now, Dean has those things going for him and many people have predicted he'll get the Democratic nod. Whether he wins or gets "McGoverned" is a whole different topic that will be HEAVILY dependent on what happens throughout the Summer if he even gets the nomination, rather than blanket statements about his image being made right now. [/b][/quote]
    Jet Set -

Everything you say is true and your last two posts are insightful, fair and well-articulated.

However, that video of Dean is still HILARIOUS....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Jan 20 2004, 01:11 PM
    [b]
    However, that video of Dean is still HILARIOUS.... [/b][/quote]
    Jets5, remember all the barbs at Bush for not "being Presidential?"

Watch that video of Dean while trying to picture the guy running the country, or worse -- being Commander in Chief!

I still believe his miscalculation is to blatantly and vociferously appeal to the Angry far-left -- there's just not enough "there" there to make it an effective campaign strategy in the long run.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jet Set the cold hard reality is that in an evenly divided America whoever wins the general election for the presidency will have to appeal to a significant amount of people in the opposite party, and frankly whether its fair or not I just don't see how Howard Dean would appeal to enough republican voters.

Also lets face it, Dean sure didn't do himself any favors last night. Part of being president is acting presidential. I thought Imus said it well this morning when he said of Dean, "When someone takes off their jacket and rolls up their sleeves I expect them to start loading my luggage into limo".

Dean may have a very detailed positions defined on his website but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the electorate was more interested in American Idol last night than anything that was going on in Iowa. In the America of today its style over substance, the days of Lincoln Douglas debates are over. More often or not its not what you say but how you say it. Remember how Gore got skewered for his sigh's during his debate with Bush in 2000? That turned off a lot of people. He lost more voters with those sighs than by what he actually said.

Anyway, IMO John Kerry is the best at combining subtance with so-called flair. If you listen to him you'll see that he offers many common sense solutions for America's problems. The time for democrats to unite behind one candidate is almost at hand. For the sake of our country lets hope it's someone who can defeat Bush. There's too much at stake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno, I've watched the debates so far and Kerry reminds me of that Peter Gammons prick on ESPN who covers baseball -- a mushmouth, slow-talking, long-faced New England guy with a cotton candy hairdo who just doesn't have enough fire to get through an election.

I don't have any real problems with his career record or stance on the issues, and I'd surely vote for him in a heartbeat over Bush. But I just don't think this guy can appeal to enough of "the other party" in places far from New England.

Dean, say what you want about him, has personality and an ability to connect with people. You can splice up hilarious montages of his weird faces and out-of-context quotes, and I have NEVER said it wasn't funny -- I live for postmodern humor and Negativland is one of my favorite "bands" ever (see [url]www.negativland.com[/url] ) I just think you could do things like that with EVERY candidate in this race and especially Bush.

As for appeal to Republican voters, Dean actually balanced his state's budget unlike Bush, can tow the "State's rights" line as well as most GOP fanatics, and has pretty moderate views on classic Democratic showstoppers like gun control and defense (under)spending -- he's a lot more conservative on economic issues than most people realize. So right now you think he's pandering to the far-left, HELLO? Every candidate except Lieberman is doing that. And Bush did plenty of pandering to the far-right in 2000 and already looks to be doing even more of it for 2004 because of Rove's claims that the Fundamentlists didn't get involved enough in the 2000 vote. Welcome to the realities of two-party politics.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm voting for Bush. But the video isn't as bad as the pundits claim. The guy wanted to be upbeat after taking a thrashing. Better that than go out there and cry like a baby.

Dean still has way more money than Kerry, who was forced to have his wife refinance HER house. And you may not like Dean, but he's a real person. Kerry voted for the war, and now is antiwar; how do you fudge that? And he does look like a joyless undertaker, which is apparenly in no small part how he came to know Mrs. Heinz in the wake of her ketchup heir/Republican Senator husband's death. All this guy has done in his life is marry money and pretend he's Irish in Boston. Clark is from outer space. I still think with all the ads he can buy, it will be Dean. Heck, Dean's life is a lot more understandable to most people than Kerry marrying heiresses every time he runs for office. Keep in mind we're electing a person, not a set of ideas.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dean is done. That was his Muskie moment. His campaign is dead.

Dean supporters should be embarrassed... too bad for Bush he couldn't wait til he got the nomination locked down before he revealed what a jackass he is.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 22 2004, 04:15 PM
    [b] Dean is done. That was his Muskie moment. His campaign is dead.

Dean supporters should be embarrassed... too bad for Bush he couldn't wait til he got the nomination locked down before he revealed what a jackass he is. [/b][/quote]
    bit, did you hear his latest?

He tried to drown out a couple of hecklers by bursting into a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner.

This guy has a freakin screw loose...and I tell you what, that's precisely why I am going to be glued to the tube when the debate airs tonight!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It'll be a cross between "Scanners" and "The Hulk".

You don't want to get Howard Angry...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dean is now talking about voting machine conspiracies.

Does the guy understand that the lunatic fringe of the left is not going to propel him to victory?? I can sympathize to an extent with how much over-play his Iowa "Yaaaaarggghhhh!!!" has gotten. But the guy just doens't seem to get it. "I'm not blow-dried, I wear cheap suits." What?

Using phrases like "UN permission", implying that Bush knew in advance of 9-11, saying he wouldn't pre-judge OBL, openly mocking religious people, bragging out skipping out on serving in Vietnam. It's one thing to have skeletons in your closet...all of them do. It's another to be smug about them.

The guy is clearly hot-tempered and a loose cannon. Doesn't he realize that only college kids care about this conspiracy theory crap?

The guy is supposedly Mr. Anti-Wahsington, but all he does he garner endorsement after endorsement from Washington insider, establishment figures. Did you know he paid off all of Carol Mosely Braun's campaign debt AND is paying her $20,000 a month to be an "advisor" to his campaign - that was the price of her endorsement. Unreal....

Honestly - are any of his supporters even [i]slightly[/i] disappointed in him? He just comes off as a smug, know-it-all a**hole. Am I wrong? Apart from college-aged, largely emotional and ignorant ultra-liberals (you know, "Bush is a Nazi" types)...who does he expect to vote for him? Why does he grimace and yell all the time? (Why are liberals always "fighting" for things?)

He just seems like a totally arrogant jerkoff, IMO.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite funnymen of all time was Phil Hartman.

I guarantee that if he was still with us, he would do a Dean impersonation that would make you pee in your pants laughing....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LETTERMAN'S TOP 10 LAST NITE

10. Switch to decaf.

9. Unveil new slogan, "Vote for Dean and get one dollar off your next purchase at Blimpie."

8. Marry Rachel on the final episode of "Friends."

7. Don't change a thing, it's going great.

6. Show a little more skin.

5. Go on "American Idol" and give them a taste of those pipes.

4. Start working out and speaking with an Austrian accent.

3. I can't give specifics yet, but it involves Ted Danson.

2. Fire the staffer who suggested I do this lousy Top 10 List instead of actually campaigning.

1. Oh, I don't know maybe fewer, crazy, red-faced rants.