Thread: Kobe's Laywer Plays The Race Card

Hall Of Fame
    Wow that didn't take long for the race card to get played. Absolutely sickening.

I am so fed up with this crap.

[url=http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2075994]http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?cont...ntentId=2075994[/url]

[u][b]Kobe's lawyers: Race a factor in rape charge [/b][/u]

Kobe Bryant's defense team raised the issue of race in court Friday, saying black men have long been falsely accused of rape by white women.

Attorney Pamela Mackey made the comment during a hearing that will help determine whether the medical history of the woman accusing Bryant of sexual assault can be used against her at trial.
    Mackey has previously angered victims' advocates with her attempts to undermine the credibility of the Los Angeles Lakers star's 19-year-old accuser.

Even as defense attorneys pressed for access to the woman's medical history, they also asked the judge to seal a tape of Bryant's police interrogation because he made "intensely personal" statements to detectives.

They did not detail what Bryant said, but argued that his privacy rights should be protected just as much as those of his accuser.

It was Bryant's third appearance before the trial judge. He faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation if convicted of sexual assault. Bryant, 25, has said he had consensual sex with the employee of a mountain resort last June.

Mackey's remark Friday came during a squabble over the notes of a rape crisis center worker who sat in on a police interview with Bryant's accuser. The defense wants access to the notes.

Inga Causey, attorney for the Resource Center of Eagle County, said releasing more details about the woman would discourage rape victims from coming forward. She said such assault reports dropped in Florida after William Kennedy Smith was acquitted of sexual assault - a case in which his accuser's medical history was targeted by defense attorneys.

Mackey, however, urged the judge to focus on the Bryant case and avoid the "political agenda of the rape crisis center."

"My client stands accused of a very serious crime. There is lots of history about black men being falsely accused of this crime by white women," Mackey said as several family members of the accuser watched. She did not address the issue further.

It was the first time defense attorneys made such a suggestion in open court, though they raised the idea in a court filing last week. They have also said the woman, who is white, had a "scheme" to falsely accuse Bryant in hopes of winning attention from an ex-boyfriend.

Legal experts said it was inevitable race would become a factor in the high-profile case.

"They will give the jury a smorgasbord of reasons why the rape allegation was false," said Craig Silverman, a Denver defense attorney. "They're giving jurors a hook to hang their reasonable-doubt hat on."

Added former prosecutor Wendy Murphy, a professor at the New England School of Law: "This is just the beginning, the subtle steps, of what will eventually be a very blatant race-card strategy."

During a previous preliminary hearing, Mackey repeatedly mentioned the accuser's name and suggested the woman may have had sex with multiple partners before her encounter with Bryant.

The defense has also said she took anti-psychotic medication and twice tried to commit suicide in the months before her encounter with Bryant.

The top issue Friday was expected to be whether the accuser surrendered her medical privacy rights by discussing her medical history with others, including her mother and police.

The arguments, however, were held behind closed doors after Judge Terry Ruckriegle ruled the evidence is too sensitive to allow the public to hear it.

The defense must win the fight over the privacy rights to be able to present the woman's medical history at trial. A Feb. 2-3 hearing will determine whether the details can be used against her.

Bryant, who has missed recent games with an injury, sat quietly throughout the hearing, whispering occasionally with his attorneys.

For the first time, Bryant entered the Eagle County courthouse through a side door. Sheriff Joseph Hoy, whose staff met recently with Bryant's bodyguards, said the change was not due to any particular threat.

The case has prompted at least two threats against Bryant's accuser.

John Roche Jr., a 22-year-old former student at the University of Iowa, pleaded guilty Friday in federal court in Denver to leaving a profanity-laced death threat on the woman's answering machine last July. Roche faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine for making a threatening telephone call across state lines.

In the other case, a 31-year-old man is accused of offering to kill Bryant's accuser for $3 million.

All League
    From a black man's GOB....

The fact that race was brought up as an issue doesn't sicken me at all. What's actually sickening is that Kobe's race was an issue for the publics to debate his credibility from day 1. Sadly, in the year 2004 a large portion of our society has already presumed Kobe as guilty. The only evidence needed to support their theorem is the notion that "black men are capable of these sorta things".

Just look at the CNN/Netscape/etc. message boards for evidence of this type of thinking......

Point being GOB (And I've generally found your thinking to be fair and well thought-out) race was already a factor in this trail. Kobe is being tried in a region of this country where the jury peer base is skimpy. The defense needs to use race to "Support Innocence" in order to deflect and combat soceity's use of race that "Assumes Guilt".

Now, if the defense team played a copy of [b][u]Rosewood[/u][/b] for the jury that would be a sickening use of the race card.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TerryBadway[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 02:22 PM
    [b] From a black man's GOB....

The fact that race was brought up as an issue doesn't sicken me at all. What's actually sickening is that Kobe's race was an issue for the publics to debate his credibility from day 1. Sadly, in the year 2004 a large portion of our society has already presumed Kobe as guilty. The only evidence needed to support their theorem is the notion that "black men are capable of these sorta things".

Just look at the CNN/Netscape/etc. message boards for evidence of this type of thinking......

Point being GOB (And I've generally found your thinking to be fair and well thought-out) race was already a factor in this trail. Kobe is being tried in a region of this country where the jury peer base is skimpy. The defense needs to use race to "Support Innocence" in order to deflect and combat soceity's use of race that "Assumes Guilt".

Now, if the defense team played a copy of [b][u]Rosewood[/u][/b] for the jury that would be a sickening use of the race card. [/b][/quote]
    Terry,

I appreciate your point of view and can understand what you are saying. When I look back and take a second look, I can see where you are coming from. I guess that being a person that doesn't look at the color of a person, rather the person inside, I saw that article and immediately got upset because, like you said, here it is 2004, and "we" (A Majority of Americans) as a society are still stuck in a world of skin color. I will not deny that there are many people whose opinion on the Kobe case is based solely on skin color. On one side of the coin, you have a minority of absolutely clueless white people running around thinking a black man is automatically guilty because a) he's black, or B) his alleged victim is a white woman. On the flip side of the coin, there are minority of blacks who feel that these are trumped up charges because the victim happens to be white and the accused black.

I guess the problem I have is the notion some people hold that if Kobe was a white man, he wouldn't be charged. I think that Kobe's lawyer was wrong when she planted the defense seed yesterday, stating 'black men have long been falsely accused of rape by white women." I guess I see that as a sterotype and it upsets me because it reminds me of one I constantly get falsely accused of, that being, "I'm a white cop so I'm automatically racist, or out racially profiling". I see her comment as being the same as if to say, "white cops have a long history of falsely accusing black men". I guess I run into it to much that it has become a major thorn in my side. I try my damndest to be fair

Playing devils' advocate, I can't imagine there are many white people that would be comfortable with an all black jury if the alleged victim were black so I can see Kobe's, and for that matter, other black people's concerns.

I guess what's sickening, is the fact that it's 2004, and we're still knee deep in this long racial divide. Sometimes I feel that trials like this, and more specifically the OJ Simpson trial, cause that divde to get wider instead of bring everyone together. And painfully let's admit it, when this first came out we all (blacks and whites) knew exactly where this was going........down the racial road to white vs. black.

Personally, I think the accuser us full of smack. I think she knew what she was doing, regretted it the next day, and used this accusation to cover up the story. The sad part, is I've seen it before at work.

Hall Of Fame
    His attorney better be careful lest she make an otherwise hospitable jury pool disinclined to give her client a fair shake. Kobe will be acquitted, unless some remarkable medical evidence of injury surfaces. She went to his hotel room, and after that, it's he said, she said, which is reasonable doubt enough for an open-minded jury to let him off. He's undoubteldy guilty of being a lousy husband and a spolied cad. But he can't be proven to be a rapist. His headache is that his days as a pitchman for soda, cars, fast food and sneakers are over, and he can forget a cushy job as a broadcaster or in management when his career is over.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm not surprised at all. She's already played the Slut card and the Mental Case card. She's still holding the Money Grabber card, as far as I know.

All League
    [quote][b]His attorney better be careful lest she make an otherwise hospitable jury pool disinclined to give her client a fair shake. Kobe will be acquitted, unless some remarkable medical evidence of injury surfaces. She went to his hotel room, and after that, it's he said, she said, which is reasonable doubt enough for an open-minded jury to let him off. He's undoubteldy guilty of being a lousy husband and a spolied cad. But he can't be proven to be a rapist. His headache is that his days as a pitchman for soda, cars, fast food and sneakers are over, and he can forget a cushy job as a broadcaster or in management when his career is over. [/b][/quote]

I feel ya Bugg..

Kobe is clearly guilty of two acts that trancends all racial boundries, Infidelity and Stupidity. Because of this, he deserves to lose every last one of those endorsement deals. He can fool those L.A. club-whores with his broadway smile, but I don't want him fooling our kids with it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bugg[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 03:21 PM
    [b] he can forget a cushy job as a broadcaster or in management when his career is over. [/b][/quote]
    Bugg, any reasonable thinker would expect that to be true.

Yet Marv Albert got his high-profile job back after donning lingerie and chomping on the back of his ho. Marion Barry was re-elected as Mayor of D.C. after being videotaped smoking crack with his ho. Daryl Strawberry, Kieth Hernandez, Ray Lewis, Steve Howe...

Whether it's corporate greed, public apathy, a forgiving spirit, short memories, the liberal "everyone is a victim, it's all society's fault" or all of the above, nothing is ever the "last straw" in our society.