Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74

Thread: OT: Any antique collectors out there?

  1. #1
    Bitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,741
    I just got done cleaning out my wife's step grandfathers house. His kids told me if I cleaned it out I could take whatever I wanted. I came across this old railroad oil lantern and was curious if anyone has any idea what the value of these things are. Also, it looks pretty rough. Alot of rust and dirt. I was going to polish it up a little before I put it on ebay but thought maybe it would be worth more as is. Anybody have any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,994
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 08:07 PM
    [b] I just got done cleaning out my wife's step grandfathers house. His kids told me if I cleaned it out I could take whatever I wanted. I came across this old railroad oil lantern and was curious if anyone has any idea what the value of these things are. Also, it looks pretty rough. Alot of rust and dirt. I was going to polish it up a little before I put it on ebay but thought maybe it would be worth more as is. Anybody have any suggestions? [/b][/quote]
    Paint it Green and White and put Super Bowl 3 on it and sell it
    on Ebay in the Memorabilia section!! :lol:

  3. #3
    Bitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,741
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 08:11 PM
    [b] Paint it Green and White and put Super Bowl 3 on it and sell it
    on Ebay in the Memorabilia section!! :lol: [/b][/quote]
    LMAO!! :lol: :lol: That was a good one. So would you be interested in bidding if I did that? :lol:

  4. #4
    I thought this was a trade-thread about the New York Rangers

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,994
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Jan 24 2004, 08:12 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Jan 24 2004, 08:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--savage69[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 08:11 PM
    [b] Paint it Green and White and put Super Bowl 3 on it and sell it
    on Ebay in the Memorabilia section&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
    LMAO&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol: That was a good one. So would you be interested in bidding if I did that? :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Nah.. I&#39;ll Pass we going to the Bowl Next Year the Peeps here have
    told me so and I see the Light&#33;&#33; Hmmm How much you want for it?? :lol:

  6. #6
    My wife has several unless it says clearly on it the name of a major railroad company(and it would have to be punched into the metal)it is probably worth &#036;50-&#036;100 sight unseen.

  7. #7
    Bitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,741
    [quote][i]Originally posted by lucz74[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 09:06 PM
    [b] My wife has several unless it says clearly on it the name of a major railroad company(and it would have to be punched into the metal)it is probably worth &#036;50-&#036;100 sight unseen. [/b][/quote]
    on the top of it I can barely make out National Brass MFG. CO. Kansas City U.S.A On the glass it says StJ&GIRy whatever that means. It also looks like it says St J&G RR on it.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,629
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Chrisrud[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 09:13 PM
    [b] I thought this was a trade-thread about the New York Rangers [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

  9. #9
    Just put it on Ebay.

    I just finished listing a few things I don&#39;t need anymore.

    Feel free to bid.........

    [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2980744966&category=1468]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6&category=1468[/url]

    [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2981387126&category=36435]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=36435[/url]

  10. #10
    Bitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,741
    [quote][i]Originally posted by FlyingElvis[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 10:42 PM
    [b] Just put it on Ebay.

    I just finished listing a few things I don&#39;t need anymore.

    Feel free to bid.........

    [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2980744966&category=1468]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6&category=1468[/url]

    [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2981387126&category=36435]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=36435[/url] [/b][/quote]
    What&#39;s wrong, couldn&#39;t you find any rubber bands to hold those Magnums on? :lol: :lol: :lol:

  11. #11
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 11:44 PM
    [b] What&#39;s wrong, couldn&#39;t you find any rubber bands to hold those Magnums on? :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Naaaaaah

    The wife stopped sleeping with me when I started my lint collection......... :lol:

  12. #12
    [quote][i]Originally posted by FlyingElvis+Jan 24 2004, 11:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (FlyingElvis @ Jan 24 2004, 11:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Jan 24 2004, 11:44 PM
    [b] What&#39;s wrong, couldn&#39;t you find any rubber bands to hold those Magnums on? :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Naaaaaah

    The wife stopped sleeping with me when I started my lint collection......... :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Did all that lint come from your bellybutton?

  13. #13
    [quote][i]Originally posted by CurtisSquared[/i]@Jan 25 2004, 09:16 AM
    [b] Did all that lint come from your bellybutton? [/b][/quote]
    No, I&#39;ll be listing that collection today.

    along with my cans of ear wax and nose goblins...... :lol:

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    :ph34r: Husker it might be worth something.

    As a Veteran I collect military memorabilia.....I got stuff from when I was in the Middle east/Germany etc. I have a collection of world war 1 & 2 German medals including a knights cross I bought while in germany years ago...thats worth a bit of cash since they are rare.

    I also have russian medals that depicts the victory at Stalingrad.

    Go to an auction site online and get it appraised.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Posts
    17,568
    :ph34r: before u just put it on ebay....get it appraised first.

  16. #16
    Bitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,741
    Well, what do you guys suggest? I already cleaned the glass globe on it but do you suggest trying to polish some of the rust off or should I leave it as is? Odds are I&#39;m not going to get it appraised. It cost me nothing so anything I make off of it is just gravy.

  17. #17
    Bitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,741
    Well, for better or worse, I decided to take a little steel wool and knock some of the dirt and rust off of this thing. I took a picture of it, here it is.

    [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pcd44fd3408eea4b3bd2aa04fe97831ab/f9d3d7be.jpg[/img]

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,994
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jan 25 2004, 04:08 PM
    [b] Well, for better or worse, I decided to take a little steel wool and knock some of the dirt and rust off of this thing. I took a picture of it, here it is.

    [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pcd44fd3408eea4b3bd2aa04fe97831ab/f9d3d7be.jpg[/img] [/b][/quote]
    Interesting Story Husker..Do you know how the "Red Light" district
    got it&#39;s name? Years ago Railroad Men who Visited Cat Houses used
    to leave their Red Lamps like that outside so people would know where
    to find them when the Train Left&#33;&#33; ;)

  19. #19
    Bitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    9,741
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jan 25 2004, 04:20 PM
    [b] Interesting Story Husker..Do you know how the "Red Light" district
    got it&#39;s name? Years ago Railroad Men who Visited Cat Houses used
    to leave their Red Lamps like that outside so people would know where
    to find them when the Train Left&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    :lol: That is a good story. Thanks.

  20. #20
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jan 25 2004, 05:20 PM
    [b] Interesting Story Husker..Do you know how the "Red Light" district
    got it&#39;s name? Years ago Railroad Men who Visited Cat Houses used
    to leave their Red Lamps like that outside so people would know where
    to find them when the Train Left&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    Are you trying to say Husker&#39;s wife&#39;s step grandfather was a prostitute ?

    Wow, that was mean......... ;)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us