Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Any antique collectors out there?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 11:13 PM
    [b] This is just plain silly now. 6 days left and it's already over $300. Thanks to all of you that helped me out.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2221150683&category=4128&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...MESSE%3AIT&rd=1[/url] [/b][/quote]
    Husker!! When I said put a High reserve on it I meant like a 1000
    or 1500! Then no matter what was Bid you could sell it to the Highest
    Bidder! They hit your reserve already silly!! Arggg..Your wife will get the
    Money anyway!! Make sure YOU get the Honey!!! ;)

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 11:20 PM
    [b] Husker!! When I said put a High reserve on it I meant like a 1000
    or 1500! Then no matter what was Bid you could sell it to the Highest
    Bidder! They hit your reserve already silly!! Arggg..Your wife will get the
    Money anyway!! Make sure YOU get the Honey!!! ;) [/b][/quote]
    I know what you meant but I just wanted to get it sold and didn't want to go through one auction where it didn't sell just to see what the value was. Someone on here assured me that there would be some knowledgable collectors on there that would know it's worth. Looks like he was right. :D By the way, the wife isn't going to see this money. Of course being the nice guy that I am I'll probably buy her something with it. Also, alot of people frown on someone trying to sell them an item after the auction is over. It would be just my luck that they would turn me in and I would get banned from ebay.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jan 28 2004, 12:13 AM
    [b] This is just plain silly now. 6 days left and it's already over $300. Thanks to all of you that helped me out.

[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2221150683&category=4128&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...MESSE%3AIT&rd=1[/url] [/b][/quote]
    Husker,

I know nothing about antiques or the likes but it should make you wonder-if it jumped up this fast don't you think it might be worth some major bucks?? If I were you, I'd pull it off the auction if you are allowed to :blink: and get the damn thing appraised. It could be worth alot more money. If people are willing to spend $300 for it, then it is obviously an authentic. It could be worth thousands.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Jan 27 2004, 11:22 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Jan 27 2004, 11:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--savage69[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 11:20 PM
    [b] Husker&#33;&#33; When I said put a High reserve on it I meant like a 1000
    or 1500&#33; Then no matter what was Bid you could sell it to the Highest
    Bidder&#33; They hit your reserve already silly&#33;&#33; Arggg..Your wife will get the
    Money anyway&#33;&#33; Make sure YOU get the Honey&#33;&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    I know what you meant but I just wanted to get it sold and didn&#39;t want to go through one auction where it didn&#39;t sell just to see what the value was. Someone on here assured me that there would be some knowledgable collectors on there that would know it&#39;s worth. Looks like he was right. :D By the way, the wife isn&#39;t going to see this money. Of course being the nice guy that I am I&#39;ll probably buy her something with it. Also, alot of people frown on someone trying to sell them an item after the auction is over. It would be just my luck that they would turn me in and I would get banned from ebay.[/b][/quote]
    Not True&#33;&#33; I sold my Buddy&#39;s 1967 Blown 454 Custom Camaro,
    the Reserve was 17,000 and the highest Bidder was 15,950&#33;
    I had people e-mail me after the acution and sold it for the 16,200&#33;
    He would have been happy with 15k&#33;&#33; This is yout first item on Ebay
    I take it?? Thats why reserve costs more they tell you that you can
    relist or sell it to the Highest Bidder..They don&#39;t care&#33;&#33; :rolleyes:

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Boozer76[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 11:24 PM
    [b] Husker,

I know nothing about antiques or the likes but it should make you wonder-if it jumped up this fast don&#39;t you think it might be worth some major bucks?? If I were you, I&#39;d pull it off the auction if you are allowed to :blink: and get the damn thing appraised. It could be worth alot more money. If people are willing to spend &#036;300 for it, then it is obviously an authentic. It could be worth thousands. [/b][/quote]
    HH posted a link of a similar lantern that had a starting bid of &#036;1200 but it was in much better shape than mine. To be honest, the lantern has absolutely no value to me sentimental or otherwise so I figure whatever I get will be gravy. I really didn&#39;t want to go through the trouble of having to pay an appraiser to find out what it was worth. I figure if it is up to &#036;300 now, by the end of the auction I could be pushing near &#036;600 at least. We&#39;ll just have to wait and see. I&#39;ll keep you guys posted.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 11:29 PM
    [b] This is yout first item on Ebay
    I take it?? Thats why reserve costs more they tell you that you can
    relist or sell it to the Highest Bidder..They don&#39;t care&#33;&#33; :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, I&#39;ve sold a handful of items on ebay. I just really didn&#39;t want to go through alot of trouble getting rid of it. I figure if they are this hot and heavy after it right now, it&#39;s only going to get better. Stay tuned. :D I&#39;m kind of pissed though. If I would have known this stupid piece of tin would bring me this much money, I would have had myself a ticket to the super bowl by now. :lol:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Jan 27 2004, 11:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Jan 27 2004, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Boozer76[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 11:24 PM
    [b] Husker,

I know nothing about antiques or the likes but it should make you wonder-if it jumped up this fast don&#39;t you think it might be worth some major bucks?? If I were you, I&#39;d pull it off the auction if you are allowed to :blink: and get the damn thing appraised. It could be worth alot more money. If people are willing to spend &#036;300 for it, then it is obviously an authentic. It could be worth thousands. [/b][/quote]
    HH posted a link of a similar lantern that had a starting bid of &#036;1200 but it was in much better shape than mine. To be honest, the lantern has absolutely no value to me sentimental or otherwise so I figure whatever I get will be gravy. I really didn&#39;t want to go through the trouble of having to pay an appraiser to find out what it was worth. I figure if it is up to &#036;300 now, by the end of the auction I could be pushing near &#036;600 at least. We&#39;ll just have to wait and see. I&#39;ll keep you guys posted. [/b][/quote]
    Husker&#33;&#33; Tell you what I&#39;ll do&#33;&#33; If you change your mind I&#39;ll make
    sure I&#39;m the Highest Bid and you don&#39;t have to sell it&#33;&#33; ;)

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by savage69[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 11:34 PM
    [b] Husker&#33;&#33; Tell you what I&#39;ll do&#33;&#33; If you change your mind I&#39;ll make
    sure I&#39;m the Highest Bid and you don&#39;t have to sell it&#33;&#33; ;) [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for the offer Savage but I have some friends here that can pull that off for me. I just want it to sell and I can collect the money. If the winner resells it for twice as much that&#39;s fine with me because I&#39;ll never know about it. :lol:

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update, just checked this morning and it&#39;s up to &#036;430 :blink: I guess this means a nice valentines day present for the wife. (cue the awwwwws from the ladies) :lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jan 29 2004, 09:27 AM
    [b] Update, just checked this morning and it&#39;s up to &#036;430 :blink: I guess this means a nice valentines day present for the wife. (cue the awwwwws from the ladies) :lol: [/b][/quote]
    awwwwwwwwwwww

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Jan 28 2004, 12:22 AM
    [b] Someone on here assured me that there would be some knowledgable collectors on there that would know it&#39;s worth. Looks like he was right. :D [/b][/quote]
    Aren&#39;t I always ? ........ :)

Don&#39;t worry about it Husker. Putting it up for auction was the right thing to do.

If its worth anything, the collectors will drive the price up on each other until it get to where it needs to be.

I swear some people care more about winning than what its actually costing them. I&#39;ve seen many bid more than the retail price for stuff they could get at Walmart, then have to pay the inflated shipping cost..... :lol:

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, the auction just ended. The final bid? [b]&#036;1005.05[/b] :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: Again, thanks alot to all of you that gave me advice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa &#33; cool....

How much of that is my cut..... <_<

:lol:

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by FlyingElvis[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 11:36 PM
    [b] Whoa &#33; cool....

:lol: [/b][/quote]
    Well, I reckon I can part with the .05 :lol:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Feb 3 2004, 12:38 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Feb 3 2004, 12:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--FlyingElvis[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 11:36 PM
    [b] Whoa &#33; cool....

:lol: [/b][/quote]
    Well, I reckon I can part with the .05 :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Ok

I&#39;ll check my paypal account later...... ;)

Hey, I&#39;m taking the kids to the parade tomorrow.

Should be fun......and cold :ph34r:

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: I would still take the time to get it appraised.....it looks to be in pretty good condition for the age. I managed to get a German Knights Cross while in Germany and I have been offered up to &#036;3000.00 for it. I have had it for over 10 years and it&#39;s the gem of my military collection. I went to ebay looking for another and I could not find an authentic one. I got it from a doctor in Munich whose brother was a German Paratrooper in WW2. I also have an officers dagger which is in tip top shape.

other items:

a wound badge in gold and one in black.
    an Infantry assault badge
    Iron cross 1st and second class
    Armor assault badge.
    A german Luger (it does not have a firing pin and the handle is damaged but still a fine item)
    and quite a few items fromthe russian/Iraqui military.

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    It&#39;s too late to have it appraised. From what I saw on ebay, it&#39;s not worth much more than this. Plus, to me it was all about the money. I cleaned out a guys basement and got endless woodworking tools which I will use and then this. So basically I got paid &#036;1000 to clean my own woodworking tools out of a basement. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: not a bad deal&#33;&#33;&#33; ;)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:13 AM
    [b] OK, the auction just ended. The final bid? [b]&#036;1005.05[/b] :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: Again, thanks alot to all of you that gave me advice. [/b][/quote]
    That means the Mrs. gets a nice Valentine&#39;s present then right? ;)

Bitter
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetgirl[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 07:38 AM
    [b] That means the Mrs. gets a nice Valentine&#39;s present then right? ;) [/b][/quote]
    Yep, as soon as I get the cash I&#39;m headed to the jewelry store. I hear wal mart has some nice jewelry in their little machines outside the store. :lol: