Thread: Proud of our Commander in Chief

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This came in over the transom...a letter written to Senator Byrd by a retired Naval Officer. Thought I'd share with the class...

[quote][b]Senator Byrd,

As a retired Naval Officer, with two Gulf carrier deployments under my belt, I find your criticism of President Bush's visit to the Lincoln offensive in the extreme! This is the first time that the Commander-in-Chief took time out of his schedule to pay a visit to thank those who served in the line of fire, in a way that was both dramatic and meaningful to those on the carrier.

Perhaps if LBJ got off his fat ass to do something similar,our troops' morale in Vietnam might not have been so low.

As a Naval officer, I am extremely sensitive to styles of leadership.

That is, after all, our stock in trade. And it was not lost on me that the President spent about thirty seconds shaking hands with the Admiral, CO, and CAG (If you don't know these abbreviations just look them up in your Funk & Wagnalls!) He then spent the next forty-five minutes putting himself at the disposal of the people who make that ship work, the yellow shirts, the green shirts, the purple shirts, the chiefs, the sailors.

If you don't know the significance of those colored shirts, look it up in your Blue Jacket's Manual. Not dressed out in formal uniform (I understand at Bush's request), but in their greasy, smelly, sweaty working uniforms ... working a flight deck is hot, hard work. And yet he, in his flight suit, put himself at their disposal, this was their moment for 19 or 20 something year old kids a few years out of high school, to get a picture of themselves with the President of the United States, his arm draped around their shoulder.

That is a moment that those kids never dreamed would ever happen to them, maybe not even when they knew he was coming aboard. Surely, he would see the brass, not the troops. But it was the troops to whom he gave his time ... and it was the most natural moment in the world. You might have thought it was a family reunion, and in a way, it was...
    Bush is one of them, the common man, and while he is still the most powerful man on the planet right now.

he hasn't lost his touch for them.

Was it a political moment?

What moment of a president's life is NOT a political moment? Was it grand standing, to come in to an OK pass to a 4 wire, a bit high in close, correcting, left of centerline? Well, hell, he didn't fly the approach anyway, though I understand from the pilots who flew him that he did a pretty good job at formation flying, tucked in close for a lead change. You can always tell a
    fighter pilot, you just can't tell him very much. And apparently after thirty years, it all comes back, with a little coaching, I am sure. Frankly, I would have liked to see him come aboard in an FA-18, but the Secret Service vetoed that, and Bush accepted their judgment ... again, a mark of a good leader.

If you had spent some time in the service, instead of the Klan,

you might understand the significance of that moment to all the men and women aboard the Lincoln, and indeed to all the men and women in the service who shared that moment vicariously. But you chose the bedsheet instead of the uniform, and so you don't.

I am half-tempted to move to West Virginia just so I could vote against you in your next election.

Lewis F. McIntyre
    CDR, USN (Ret)

[/b][/quote]

All League
    [quote][b]Bush is one of them, the common man, and while he is still the most powerful man on the planet right now.
    [/b][/quote]

Bush a common man? Yeah most common people would get an honorable discharge after deserting the air-force right? Most common people are considered a son by the Saudi Royal Family. Most commoners get legacied at Yale. Most common men run MLB teams. Yeah he is one of them. The only common thing about Bush was he had a drinking problem which a lot of common American's face.

[quote][b]Perhaps if LBJ got off his fat ass to do something similar,our troops' morale in Vietnam might not have been so low.
    [/b][/quote]

Why did our troops need a morale boost I thought the "Mission Accomplished" said it all.

Banned
    The manner in which Bush visited the USS Lincoln was an embarrassment that he's still trying to live down. The fact that he borrowed a flight suit and pretended to be just one of the guys was ludicrous.

The icing on the cake was that Bush then proceeded to make a speech in front of a banner that declared "Mission Accomplished". This visit was set up to be a photo-op for his re-election campaign from the get-go. The irony is that the photos from this event will be more usefull to the democratic nominee than for him.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by tailgators[/i]@Jan 26 2004, 04:03 PM
    [b] The manner in which Bush visited the USS Lincoln was an embarrassment that he's still trying to live down. The fact that he borrowed a flight suit and pretended to be just one of the guys was ludicrous.

The icing on the cake was that Bush then proceeded to make a speech in front of a banner that declared "Mission Accomplished". This visit was set up to be a photo-op for his re-election campaign from the get-go. The irony is that the photos from this event will be more usefull to the democratic nominee than for him. [/b][/quote]
    An embarrassment to you liberals who weren't embarrassed in the slightest while the former commander-in-chief flew his fly at half mast in the people's house while a subordinate admired the "goods".

An embarrassment to the same liberals that were proud to stand behind a man that NEVER served his country but instead protested his country in the land of our cold war enemies.

An embarrassment to the same liberals that cheered on the former head of our government responsible for using his power and influence to destroy his political opponents and ordinary citizens.

[b][SIZE=3]IRAQ IS FREE, THE THREAT OF SADDAM IS GONE - [u]MISSION ACCOMPLISHED[/u]![/SIZE][/b]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Weeb, it's just yet another example of the decades-old and typical liberal malady of always being at odds with our brave servicemen and women. Anyone with a conscience and speaking from conviction would feel awkwardly conflicted at the predicament of allegedly supporting the troops, yet consistently ignoring messages from the troops that are diametrically opposed to the rote "just press play" blather-filled talking points put forth by those on the left.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by shakin318[/i]@Jan 26 2004, 06:11 PM
    [b] Weeb, it's just yet another example of the decades-old and typical liberal malady of always being at odds with our brave servicemen and women. Anyone with a conscience and speaking from conviction would feel awkwardly conflicted at the predicament of allegedly supporting the troops, yet consistently ignoring messages from the troops that are diametrically opposed to the rote "just press play" blather-filled talking points put forth by those on the left. [/b][/quote]
    And these guys have the unmitigated gall to blame the President when the Twin Towers come crumbling to the ground, blame the President when Saddam and Osama play hide and seek from their respective holes, blame the President because WMDs aren't uncovered and blame the President when insurgents pick off servicemen from their cowardly donkey carts.

There is one common bond between all these: US intelligence is not up to snuff around the world BECAUSE THEY SAW FIT TO MOLD IT THAT WAY!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Section109Row15[/i]@Jan 26 2004, 03:59 PM
    [b] [quote][b]Bush is one of them, the common man, and while he is still the most powerful man on the planet right now.
    [/b][/quote]

Bush a common man? Yeah most common people would get an honorable discharge after deserting the air-force right? Most common people are considered a son by the Saudi Royal Family. Most commoners get legacied at Yale. Most common men run MLB teams. Yeah he is one of them. The only common thing about Bush was he had a drinking problem which a lot of common American's face.

[quote][b]Perhaps if LBJ got off his fat ass to do something similar,our troops' morale in Vietnam might not have been so low.
    [/b][/quote]

Why did our troops need a morale boost I thought the "Mission Accomplished" said it all. [/b][/quote]
    section109...more moore-onism?

Get your head out of your ass and talk with facts, not ignorant speculation/opinion.

Your pathetic attempts at coupling the Bush family with the Saudi's just proves how ignorant and unoriginal you are as they are nothing more then beligerant ravings from that michael fat-ass moore, the biggest piece of sh!t in this nation (next to you that is).

BTW: after thinking about 1300 on the SAT's ain't sh!t....I was a pretty bad student and test taker and I got 1240.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

funny who the white sheeted KKK member Byrd himself has the ball to criticize anyone!

if that serviceman knew the real george bush he wouldn't love him so

-the man who went AWOL during a time of war

-the man who's daddy got him into college and out of trouble, not to mention every job he ever worked.

-the man who is in every old boys club from skull and bones to the masons and back again

-the man who executed more inmates as Gov of TX then any other Gov in any state... ever

-the man who turned a projected budget surplus into the biggest deficit... EVER

-the man who lost more jobs while in office than any other president... EVER

oh yeah what an american hero <_<

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Jan 27 2004, 03:14 PM
    [b] if that serviceman knew the real george bush he wouldn&#39;t love him so

-the man who went AWOL during a time of war

-the man who&#39;s daddy got him into college and out of trouble, not to mention every job he ever worked.

-the man who is in every old boys club from skull and bones to the masons and back again

-the man who executed more inmates as Gov of TX then any other Gov in any state... ever

-the man who turned a projected budget surplus into the biggest deficit... EVER

-the man who lost more jobs while in office than any other president... EVER

oh yeah what an american hero <_< [/b][/quote]
    Here, bit, suitable for framing in your office:

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040127/lthumb.sge.etp80.270104192457.photo02.default-384x307.jpg[/img]

All Pro
    so i assume u think the serviceman of the armed forces are too stupid to know who George W. Bush is