Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Boone

Athletes will never learn....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/base....acl/index.html

New York Yankees third baseman Aaron Boone could miss the entire 2004 season after suffering a major knee injury last week while playing basketball in violation of his contract with the club, according to two baseball sources.

Maxman
    An injury that may cost him millions (not sure if he got the contract insured).

I believe that the Yankees have the right to either terminate his contract, or convert it to a non-guaranteed one. Termination means he does not get paid, although the Yankees are obligated to pick up his medical expenses. However, he is considered a free agent immediately.

Non-guaranteed is a bit different. This means the portion he would have earned while injured, he forfeits, but if he is able to play, even if it's in rehab, they have to start paying him for this time.

Either way, he cost himself a bundle, and probably just played his way out of NY. Yankees will get Glaus, Chavez or someone else for the long term after 2004.

Its amazing that guys in all sports keep doing things that are explicitly forbidden in their contracts (basketball, motorcycle riding, etc.).

Hopefully all Boone does cost himself is a few million dollars - some of these guys chance their careers.

Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet@Jan 27 2004, 12:20 PM
    Its amazing that guys in all sports keep doing things that are explicitly forbidden in their contracts (basketball, motorcycle riding, etc.).

Hopefully all Boone does cost himself is a few million dollars - some of these guys chance their careers.
    There have been a few "celebrated cases like this over the years. The saddest one in recent memory was the Jay Williams case. Highly touted rookie out of Duke, #2 pick in the NBA draft, big time contract, bright future, etc. Threw it all away on a motorcycle accident. May never be able to run normally again, let alone play Professional Basketball.

Non-guaranteed is a bit different. This means the portion he would have earned while injured, he forfeits, but if he is able to play, even if it's in rehab, they have to start paying him for this time.
    I am pretty sure I read in the paper its non-guaranteed. He is going to go from making 5 million to something around 900 thousand. This could be a killer injury for the Yankees.

I pray I am not stuck with Enrique Wilson or Miguel Cairo starting at third.

I pray I am not stuck with Enrique Wilson or Miguel Cairo starting at third.
    Who else are our options? Any ideas guys?

All League
    I heard Cashman on with Michael Kay; he didnt get specific on much. He jokingly (I hope) mentioned a phone call to Oregon (Brosius); and said something about checking into Matt Williams was staying retired. Of course, he really cant comment on other team's players (tampering). The only FA's, I think, are Jose Hernandez, who hit .225 and K'd 177; and Mark McLemore, who only had 2 errors in 29 games at 3B and can play 2B and OF; but just turned 39 and hit only 233 with 2 HRs.

Todd Zeile and Robin Ventura both just signed one year deals; meaning they cant be dealt until May 15.

Other rumors say Edgardo Alfonzo might be available, since San Fran would like to get out from that salary already. He started off really slowly, and had a pretty bad year for him- .259 BA, .334 OBA. A return to NY might straighten him out.

The big knock on Alfonso the last couple of years was that he'd got a chronic back injury that's hampering his play, and last year's numbers would attest to that.

I would like to get Alfonzo but would could we give up to get him.

Giants are always looking for offense, so trading for Alfonso will not be easy. Besides, they have the shrewdest GM in the game in Sabean, so we will be forced to give up a lot.

Hernandez signed a minor league with the Dodgers, so he's off the market. However, Beltre may be available. He signed a 1 year deal for $5 million, and is a free agent after 2004. But the Dodgers need hitting in the worst way, so he may not be available. Besides, the sale of that team is forcing the Dodgers GM (Evans) to hold back on trades. Evans may not even have a job when the sale goes through, so dealing with the Dodgers is probably out.

Ventura can't be traded until June 15th, unless he consents, which he might, in order to return to the Yankees. He likes NY, and enjoyed his years here as a Yankeee and Met. Also, the Yanks give him a better shot at the Series than the Dodgers do.

Ron Coomer is still available. He was here for a short while a couple of seasons ago. Not much range, but can hit a bit. Tyler Houston was signed, and probably becomes the leading candidate for the everyday job.

One interesting guy. Mike Lowell. He signed a 4 year deal with the Marlins. He can opt out of the last 3 years if the team does not win approval for a new stadium by the end of 2004. The referendum is up for a vote on March 15. If it is shot down, look for him to be on the block. I would persue this very seriously.

Henson seems to be out of the picture. Contrary to previous reports, he is not working out in Tampa. He is working out with a Q/B coach at a private facility owned by his marketing team. He probably will try to negotiate a release from his contract with the Yankees, and re-enter the draft this year in April.

http://yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nyy/news...s_nyy&fext=.jsp

Who would have thought? Sheffield at 3rd. It gives the Yanks pause before making a panic move.

Ventura can't be traded until June 15th, unless he consents, which he might, in order to return to the Yankees. He likes NY, and enjoyed his years here as a Yankeee and Met. Also, the Yanks give him a better shot at the Series than the Dodgers do.

Ron Coomer is still available. He was here for a short while a couple of seasons ago. Not much range, but can hit a bit. Tyler Houston was signed, and probably becomes the leading candidate for the everyday job.
    I would not mind having Ventura return but if I am stuck with Ron Coomer at third base I might cry.

Also do you guys have any info on Houston I am not very familiar with him.

Originally posted by Penning10@Jan 28 2004, 09:24 PM

Also do you guys have any info on Houston I am not very familiar with him.
    Not much. He has been in the majors since 1996. In 2000 and 2001, for the Brewers, ha had his best seasons. He hit 18 Hr's in 101 games, then followed that up with 12 in 2001. Had a difficult time in Philly with Bowa last season. Has a rep as a loner, and not a good guy in the clubhouse.

He has played 291 games in his career at 3rd, and has a lifetime .930 fielding percentage there. He is mainly a 1st and 3rd baseman, so this probably eliminates Ron Coomer coming here. That should keep you from crying.

Today's latest Yankee report quotes Cashman as being grateful to Sheffield for the offer, but turning him down, for now. Also, Cashman did not completely shut the door on Henson, saying that he will be in camp next month and compete, and we'll see. Not a ringing endorsement, but more positive for Henson compared to a couple of days ago.

As a Phils fan, I think Tyler Houston sucked bigtime last year. He *****ed and moaned about playing time, and then when David Bell went down with injuries and Pat Burrell's hitting went into the ****ter, he totally choked when asked to play a starting role on the team.

His defense is atrocious, but his bat is OK. Not homerun crazy, but he'll get the hits now and then. I think he'd make a good pinch hitter on a team with enough chemistry to buffer his attitude, but not a full time 3rd baseman.

Just my take...

Originally posted by Jet Set Junta@Jan 30 2004, 02:10 PM

His defense is atrocious, but his bat is OK. Not homerun crazy, but he'll get the hits now and then. I think he'd make a good pinch hitter on a team with enough chemistry to buffer his attitude, but not a full time 3rd baseman.

Just my take...
    Good recap. Probably the role the Yankees would like him to really fill.

Houston has a problem...he can't hit with guys on base. Ventura would be one solution, but I think getting Bordick in camp would be smart. He is 38, but he's got a glove and was brought in to replace the Jays shortstop last year (His name escapes me at the moment but it's Chris...something) anyway since the Jays were clubbing the ball like a baby harp seal they needed defense badly, called on Bordick, and got their wish. They could put Shef at the corner. My guess is that Shef volunteered because its a shorter trip to the dugout but, hey, I'm not a Sheffield fan. Coomer would make me cry too. Best bet, Bordick for cheap, platooned with Wilson if it gets to be too much, and open up the checkbook come June. Then buy A-Rod, put him at short; Jeter at third. Problem solved.

Doesn't Boone have enough money to PAY someone to play basketball FOR him? Sheesh...what a dope.

Originally posted by greenieboy@Feb 2 2004, 10:03 PM
    Houston has a problem...he can't hit with guys on base. Ventura would be one solution, but I think getting Bordick in camp would be smart. He is 38, but he's got a glove and was brought in to replace the Jays shortstop last year (His name escapes me at the moment but it's Chris...something) anyway since the Jays were clubbing the ball like a baby harp seal they needed defense badly, called on Bordick, and got their wish. They could put Shef at the corner. My guess is that Shef volunteered because its a shorter trip to the dugout but, hey, I'm not a Sheffield fan. Coomer would make me cry too. Best bet, Bordick for cheap, platooned with Wilson if it gets to be too much, and open up the checkbook come June. Then buy A-Rod, put him at short; Jeter at third. Problem solved.
    Bordick would be a nice signing, since he wouldn't cost much, and has a rep as a solid fielder. Yanks don't need the bat at 3B. Heck, Boone was slated to bat 9th!

Bordick is a SS by trade, but has played some at 3B, and I would trust him over most of the scrubs they are bringing in, like Lamb, Houston, ALmonte, et al.