Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL NHL DISCUSSION THREAD

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Wake me up when the Rangers re-sign Eddie Giacomin!

R. Tyme: Jean and Denis are brothers, both played for the Isles.

There's a Felix Potvin--no relation.

All Pro
    arr.. whats hockey?

I'm pretty upset they got rid of that new Islanders logo , the Sea Captain mccallister look would've made the team f'arrrrr..... better.

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Jan 28 2004, 12:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Jan 28 2004, 12:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti@Jan 28 2004, 12:03 PM
    every day i wake up and say

this is it

this is the day Rick DiPietro becomes the goalie he can be.

:lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

You poor soul. Between our joint misery with the Jets and DiPietro&#39;s failure to love up to remote expectations, you must have an ulcer a mile wide.
    . [/b][/quote]
    no ulcer

what can i say im the eternal optomist :lol:

ps- junta funny pic

And, with no good excuse whatsoever, but in light of last night:

Carry on.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Jet Set Junta@Jan 29 2004, 04:52 PM
    And, with no good excuse whatsoever, but in light of last night:

Carry on.
    That&#39;s great.

Anyone happen to notice the 5-2 thrashing of the Devils by my Red Wings tonight.

Pavel Datsuyk is just plain sick. Haven&#39;t seen a kid make moves like that in a while.

All League
    Good article on Trent Hunter on espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1721012

Hall Of Fame
    What&#39;s the NHL??

Kidding. I like watching hockey live, but man if I just don&#39;t get bored watching it on TV.

That, and the fact that is has probably the most meanigless regualr season of any major sport in the USA, just can&#39;t hold my interest. In most sports, the good teams make the playoffs. In hockey, the opposite is true - the BAD teams don&#39;t make it, but not all the teams who do make it are good. And plus, seedings and regular season records are largely irrelevant once the second season starts...more so than in any other sport, it seems.

That - and the absurd recors of some teams. "Hey, the Devils are 15-5-9-4&#33;&#33;&#33; Look out&#33;"

Not trying to bash hockey...I am a soccer fan and can appreciate different tastes...I juts think that the main problem with hockey is that the nature of the game doesn&#39;t lend itself to TV that well, the players are hard to recognize and with the constant line shifts...it&#39;s hard to follow a single player

Veteran
    DiPietro has looked GREAT the past few games, he might be the real deal after all

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by Lawyers, Guns and Money@Jan 30 2004, 12:28 PM
    DiPietro has looked GREAT the past few games, he might be the real deal after all
    The kid is on fire.

If the Isles can stay in the hunt, they could get a rested Yashin, Peca and Parrish back for the playoff drive/playoffs. Silver lining to the injuries...

Ronning reminds me of the spark that Goring brought to the team back in &#39;79.

5ever, I&#39;d say the exact same things about Soccer and Baseball on TV. I love playing soccer, but just can&#39;t get excited watching televised games. I wish it were more popular here in the States, so we could field a true World Cup team that kicks ass.

Baseball is by far the worst, though. Sure they&#39;ve perfected that camera angle behind the pitcher aiming at the batter, but that&#39;s ALL you see for the 2/3 of the game that isn&#39;t sudden pans to groundout or fly balls or shots of the spitting in the dugout. Ugh.

Aside from my beefs with the way Bettman is running the NHL, I love hockey on TV. Improved camera work has allowed following the puck without the flashing blue-red crap Fox foisted on us years back, and you get two intermissions the length of NFL halftimes to put together food, step outside, etc.

As for playoff seeding, I&#39;d love if the NHL reduced its pool down to 8 teams (4 per conference) rather than 16, but it&#39;ll never happen. And it has NOTHING on pro basketball where not only is the regular season meaningless but the first 45 minutes of the game are also meaningless if it comes down to 5 points or less during the constant "intentional foul, free throw, and call timeout" phase. And this year&#39;s NBA is just plain bizarre with the cellar dwellar of the Midwest having a better record than the division leader in the Atlantic.

Right now, I&#39;d say the NFL is the best run league in terms of division alignments, playoff rules, salary rules, and excitement. If the NHL would get a salary cap and return to its grass roots of higher scoring, more fighting, and less trap/icing styles of play it could be right up there. The NBA will always have a lot of revenue, and in some ways has a better cap structure than the NFL, but the game is just so pathetic these days -- especially compared to the college game with its March Madness and wide diversity defensive/teamwork strategies.

Originally posted by shakin318+Jan 30 2004, 12:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shakin318 @ Jan 30 2004, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Lawyers@ Guns and Money,Jan 30 2004, 12:28 PM
    The kid is on fire.

If the Isles can stay in the hunt, they could get a rested Yashin, Peca and Parrish back for the playoff drive/playoffs. Silver lining to the injuries...

Ronning reminds me of the spark that Goring brought to the team back in &#39;79. [/b][/quote]
    And don&#39;t forget Calder Cup candidate #7 Trent "Big Game" Hunter and super-pest Jason Blake...they&#39;ve been a lot of fun to watch this year.

Don&#39;t forget...NHL All Star weekend is this weekend.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Feb 4 2004, 06:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brooklyn Jet @ Feb 4 2004, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -shakin318@Jan 30 2004, 12:44 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Lawyers
    @ Guns and Money,Jan 30 2004, 12:28 PM

The kid is on fire.

Ronning reminds me of the spark that Goring brought to the team back in &#39;79.
    And don&#39;t forget Calder Cup candidate #7 Trent "Big Game" Hunter and super-pest Jason Blake...they&#39;ve been a lot of fun to watch this year.

Don&#39;t forget...NHL All Star weekend is this weekend. [/b][/quote]
    Jesus....is the all-star game this weekend already? Man I&#39;ve been slacking.

Hall Of Fame
    TONIGHT: DETROIT RED WINGS AT COLORADO AVALANCHE, 8pm ET, ESPN

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 5 2004, 08:13 PM
    Good matchup&#33;

I&#39;ll be watching Isles-Canadians tonight though...gotta get out of that 8th seed and pass Montreal and Boston&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Brooklyn Jet+Feb 5 2004, 08:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brooklyn Jet @ Feb 5 2004, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 5 2004, 08:13 PM
    Good matchup&#33;

I&#39;ll be watching Isles-Canadians tonight though...gotta get out of that 8th seed and pass Montreal and Boston&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Tough loss for the Isles.

When did they switch back to East vs West all star games is this the second year like that??

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Feb 6 2004, 12:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Feb 6 2004, 12:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Brooklyn Jet@Feb 5 2004, 08:26 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria
    @Feb 5 2004, 08:13 PM

Good matchup&#33;

I&#39;ll be watching Isles-Canadians tonight though...gotta get out of that 8th seed and pass Montreal and Boston&#33;
    Tough loss for the Isles. [/b][/quote]
    Its frustrating...they&#39;re up and down. Some nights they look like they can beat anyone in the East, and some nights they...well...they don&#39;t. :lol:

Im pretty confident they can hold on to that last spot in the playoffs, but it would nice to see a better than 8th seed finish.

Well, after a tense 4 days of outta-control rumors, it looks like we get Sean Burke back in net; 6 years ago we traded Garth f&#39;in Snow for him, this time we sent rent-a-Comrie out to Phoenix and got some good prospects at RW and D back. Didn&#39;t give up any of our drafted youth on the blueline as I feared.

The best news all day is that Jeff Hackett is retiring since he can&#39;t get over the vertigo he suffered looking up from the ice at all the booing Philly fans. So we get Burke as the solid vet, Nittymaki to continue developing in spots, and Esche back with the #1 job his to lose once he recovers from the knee thingy.

I feel a lot happier than I thought before; at least this puts to bed the constant dumb trade ideas about giving up tons of youth to rent CuJo or Kolzig who IMO are even worse ideas than Burke. And the guy might just get hot for the playoffs, who knows. He&#39;ll certainly get the call for the upcoming Devils game and home-n-home against the pathetic Blueskirts.