Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL NHL DISCUSSION THREAD

Hall Of Fame
    Who's in?

every day i wake up and say

this is it

this is the day Rick DiPietro becomes the goalie he can be.

:lol:

All League
    Unfortunatly, living outside NY and not having cable I never get to see my beloved Islanders. They seem to be headed on the right track. Hunter looks like he will win the ROY and the future looks pretty good. As for the Rangers and the Jagr move, I hope it backfires like all their other moves.

funny, I say the same thing about Robert Esche!!!! Go F'ers!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by bitonti@Jan 28 2004, 12:03 PM
    every day i wake up and say

this is it

this is the day Rick DiPietro becomes the goalie he can be.

:lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

You poor soul. Between our joint misery with the Jets and DiPietro's failure to love up to remote expectations, you must have an ulcer a mile wide.

DiPietro is a shining example of a common belief of mine: That drafing goalies in the 1st round isn't always a best move. Goalies are so sporadic, so hot and cold, that you don't always know what you're getting until it's too late.

Hey it could be worse right? You could have 3 goalies on your roster, 2 with $16 million in contracts and the other a top NHL backup.

dipietro IS a good goalie...Ronning was a great move...parrish will flourish with him when he returns.....refs robbed us last night

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Section109Row15@Jan 28 2004, 12:07 PM
    Unfortunatly, living outside NY and not having cable I never get to see my beloved Islanders. They seem to be headed on the right track. Hunter looks like he will win the ROY and the future looks pretty good. As for the Rangers and the Jagr move, I hope it backfires like all their other moves.
    I believe that hating the Rangers is an almost universla feeling shared by everyone except Rangers fans. They are the Redskins of the NHl, buying everything in sight and doing nothing with it. The highest payrool in the land and for what? 10th place in the Eastern (Wales) Conference?

Of course I realize that many people hate my Red Wings and consider them the Yankees of the NHL for their propensity for spending lots of $$, signing/trading for big name stars and winning Stanley Cup. Unfortunately, they can't help themselves.

Trent Hunter looked good last night!! As long as the Icelanders take the last playoff spot from the Blueshirts, I'll be happy.

As for my F'ers, as soon as the All-Star break rolls around, they'll be ready for their nosedive.

Hey, Esche is actually holding up OK.

Given the state of the current league, the impending CBA, and the Flyers sketchy playoff history, I'd be happier riding Esche into the playoffs and seeing if he can Giguere or Osgood his way deeper than Choke-manek the past 3 years -- than I'd be seeing Clarke trade more of our precious youth for a wash-up like Kolzig, CuJo, et al.

The Williams-for-Markov deal was iffy enough for me, though with our blueline health I don't think there was much of a choice. I'm sick to death of hearing trade deadline rumors about Iginla; it'll never happen.

The Flyers' biggest problems in the playoffs have consistently come down to the Senators (matchup and talent) and the Devils (psychological baggage). If they can have more blueline aggression and speed than last year, keep up the better scoring, and not have guys like Handzus and Amonte disappear in the playoffs, I'll take my chances with the statistically higher GAA guy in net if he won't softie every other game.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Jan 28 2004, 12:12 PM
    Trent Hunter looked good last night!! As long as the Icelanders take the last playoff spot from the Blueshirts, I'll be happy.

As for my F'ers, as soon as the All-Star break rolls around, they'll be ready for their nosedive.
    I still have the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals on tape if you'd like to recall the past?

The Rangers will accomplish nothing until they shore up their gaping hole at goaltender. Mike Dunham? Come on.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Jet Set Junta@Jan 28 2004, 12:14 PM
    The Flyers' biggest problems in the playoffs have consistently come down to the Senators (matchup and talent) and the Devils (psychological baggage). If they can have more blueline aggression and speed than last year, keep up the better scoring, and not have guys like Handzus and Amonte disappear in the playoffs, I'll take my chances with the statistically higher GAA guy in net if he won't softie every other game.
    Well we all know the Senators will choke somewhere doen the line, so the Devils become your major obstacle. There is no reason the Flyers can't beat them but it will take a maximum effort on their part. The Devils don't play they most exciting hockey in the world but they win when it counts.

JR is my guy, but I think that he needs to take more leadership responsibility and stop whining to the media so much. It's getting tiresome. Bobby Clarke is the 2nd best GM in sports (#1 being Terry Bradway, of course). The Flyers may get it done this year, but I agree that they have to get over the curse that the Devils seem to have put on them. We just can't beat them. Would be great if Esche could pull a "Jean-Sebbastian" but we haven't had a solid goalie since Pelle L.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Devs play that dull trap-style which is why no one watches hockey anymore!! SNOOZE!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by shakin318@Jan 28 2004, 12:23 PM
    Shakin, where's that 'new' Isles logo the team went to a few years back creating a mass uproar amongst their fans.

Remember that Capt. Gordon Fisherman look?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl@Jan 28 2004, 12:27 PM
    The Devs play that dull trap-style which is why no one watches hockey anymore!! SNOOZE!!!
    The only thing worse than watching that trap is watching that trap sweep your team in the Stanley Cup Finals. :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

GOB: Cheap shot, dude. Almost as cheap as any of Scott Steven's hits!!!

All Pro
    I'm a suffering Kings fan. All I can say is INJURIES! INJURIES! INJURIES! :[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='mad.gif'>

NYJ310: Don't cry "injuries". You got The Gladiator. No wonder you can't win!!

Jets Insider VIP
    I haven't followed hockey in ooooohhhh years!!! but I have a question...
    while watching ESPN they talk of a player named Potvin, is this Potvin related to the Potvin brothers of years ago? Denis and Jean? have been curious if it's a son