Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: refs did fair job

All League
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Feb 2 2004, 03:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Feb 2 2004, 03:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mathis81[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 12:24 AM
    [b] Cant forget about the unsportsmanlike hit Delholme took after throwing his 85 yd td pass. Clearly took an intentional shoulder while running down field celebrating... [/b][/quote]
    Would you have preferred that they took the TD back and just gave the Panthers an extra 15 yds? [/b][/quote]
    I pity the fact that you&#39;re celebrating your teams victory by spending your time on a Jets board, where for the most part we just don&#39;t care, but if you want to comment on rules/regs of the game, please educate yourself on the sport.

Had the Personal Foul penalty been called, as it should have, it would have been assessed on the KICKOFF, as the play was over...the only time the play would have been called back is if it was procedural during the play. Even then, the Panthers would be able to decline it as long as it was on NE.

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetMedic[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:54 AM
    [b] I pity the fact that you&#39;re celebrating your teams victory by spending your time on a Jets board, where for the most part we just don&#39;t care, but if you want to comment on rules/regs of the game, please educate yourself on the sport.

Had the Personal Foul penalty been called, as it should have, it would have been assessed on the KICKOFF, as the play was over...the only time the play would have been called back is if it was procedural during the play. Even then, the Panthers would be able to decline it as long as it was on NE. [/b][/quote]
    I would hope you know me better than that. I have been here for a long time. I&#39;m not here to rub anything in anyones face and you know it. Either way, I take it as an insult that you do include me in the small group of Patriot trolls that did come over here with the sole purpose of rubbing it in. Now on to the penalty. Thank you for educating me oh mighty NFL god. Ok, so the 15 yds. is tacked onto the kickoff. Then more than likely Kasey kicks the ball out of the endzone or out of bounds one or the other. How does that help the Panthers in any way? The only reason I responded is it&#39;s silly how while most will agree that the refs had nothing to do with the outcome of this game, some people are still trying to look for any little nugget so they can point fingers. Before you unload the old canned response. Yes, I do realize I am on a Jets board but that still doesn&#39;t give people an excuse to be stupid.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 02:12 AM
    [b]
    Ok, so the 15 yds. is tacked onto the kickoff. Then more than likely Kasey kicks the ball out of the endzone or out of bounds one or the other. . [/b][/quote]
    I thought I knew you better...MORE THEN LIKELY?? come on Husk, thats a reach...though I don&#39;t disagree with you per say, it was a dirty ploy by a dirty player and to say the penalty wouldn&#39;t have matter either way isn&#39;t too smart...you know better, don&#39;t you?

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 07:54 AM
    [b] I thought I knew you better...MORE THEN LIKELY?? come on Husk, thats a reach...though I don&#39;t disagree with you per say, it was a dirty ploy by a dirty player and to say the penalty wouldn&#39;t have matter either way isn&#39;t too smart...you know better, don&#39;t you? [/b][/quote]
    I guess I don&#39;t know better. Maybe you can explain how that penalty would have helped the Panthers at all. Other than maybe making Rodney not take any other shots at players. I&#39;m just really not seeing how calling that penalty would have had any effect on the game like some people are trying to claim. Bethel Johnson was bottled up all night so he probably wouldn&#39;t have gotten the ball past the 30 even if he was able to return it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk+Feb 3 2004, 09:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (huskeralk @ Feb 3 2004, 09:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 07:54 AM
    [b] I thought I knew you better...MORE THEN LIKELY?? come on Husk, thats a reach...though I don&#39;t disagree with you per say, it was a dirty ploy by a dirty player and to say the penalty wouldn&#39;t have matter either way isn&#39;t too smart...you know better, don&#39;t you? [/b][/quote]
    I guess I don&#39;t know better. Maybe you can explain how that penalty would have helped the Panthers at all. Other than maybe making Rodney not take any other shots at players. I&#39;m just really not seeing how calling that penalty would have had any effect on the game like some people are trying to claim. Bethel Johnson was bottled up all night so he probably wouldn&#39;t have gotten the ball past the 30 even if he was able to return it. [/b][/quote]
    as I said I am not disagreeing with you but to say it WOULDN&#39;T HAVE MATTERED is kind of a blanket statement, just as someone else said it would have mattered & was taken to task, you shouldn&#39;t say it would not have mattered....thats all I meant

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Buffboy[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 09:22 AM
    [b] I think the calls were pretty balanced in this game. The Panthers got called for holding in the endzone on a pretty innocent looking play, but then Brown got called for a push off on a play that happens every week without a flag.

Antowain looked to be well short of the first down marker to me, but then Carolina got the gift back on the fumble that was ruled incomplete.

I&#39;ve seen calls go NE&#39;s way all season, but the officiating crew did a balanced if imperfect job last night.

The Pats won this one fair and square.

BB [/b][/quote]

Ed Hochuli and his regular crew are by far the best offciating group in the NFL.

On Sunday, his crew consisted of the refs that earned the game through merit.

Tough call on the Brown push-off but AS was at least 1 yard short.

All in all, they did an outstanding game.

All Pro
    The patriots will always be able to hold/grope etc and not get called for it.

I think the League does it out of respect for the Kennedys.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JerryK[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:58 AM
    [b]
    I think the League does it out of respect for the Kennedys. [/b][/quote]
    :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: the refs did good....the biggest blunder call was when the Panthers stuffed the Chowds on 4th and inches and were given the 1st down. Other than that, it was a good officiating.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:54 PM
    [b] the penalty wouldn&#39;t have matter either way isn&#39;t too smart...you know better, don&#39;t you? [/b][/quote]
    When would the penalty have been assessed? On the PAT? Half the distance to the goal. They can not skip the next play and assess it on the KO.

CHeap? yes, but as some pointed out karma bit him in the ass and it nearly had a more dire effect on the team as the porous pass deefense got worse with Maher and Assante in there.

On the penalties and such.
    Anotwain forward momentuem got him the 1st Down before that guy spun him around with the hit.

On Brown&#39;s penalty it was ticky tack, but it is the rule.

On the Mushin Muhammed play. I think the the NFL needs to address this. That is one of several times I have seen a play whistled dead too early and there is no recourse for the defense.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH+Feb 3 2004, 12:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PFSIKH @ Feb 3 2004, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:54 PM
    [b] the penalty wouldn&#39;t have matter either way isn&#39;t too smart...you know better, don&#39;t you? [/b][/quote]
    When would the penalty have been assessed? On the PAT? Half the distance to the goal. They can not skip the next play and assess it on the KO.

CHeap? yes, but as some pointed out karma bit him in the ass and it nearly had a more dire effect on the team as the porous pass deefense got worse with Maher and Assante in there.

On the penalties and such.
    Anotwain forward momentuem got him the 1st Down before that guy spun him around with the hit.

On Brown&#39;s penalty it was ticky tack, but it is the rule.

On the Mushin Muhammed play. I think the the NFL needs to address this. That is one of several times I have seen a play whistled dead too early and there is no recourse for the defense. [/b][/quote]
    PFS- with all due respect Antoine lost a half yard, the ball never got
    to 37, his head maybe but not the ball

doesn&#39;t matter anyway. Kasay F&#39;d the game away

Hmmmm coincedence or Homerism: You decide people.

[quote][b]Anotwain forward momentuem got him the 1st Down before that guy spun him around with the hit.[/b][/quote]

Play favored Pats.

[quote][b]On Brown&#39;s penalty it was ticky tack, but it is the rule. [/b][/quote]

Ticky tacky??

[quote][b]On the Mushin Muhammed play. I think the the NFL needs to address this. That is one of several times I have seen a play whistled dead too early and there is no recourse for the defense.[/b][/quote]

Bad call favors the Panthers&#33;&#33;&#33; Stop the presses this needs top be addressed immediately LMAO&#33;&#33; :lol:

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by afosomf[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:14 PM
    [b]
    [/b][/quote]

He was well short of the 1st down marker. His head may of crossed but the ball was down on his hip.

Not even close.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 3 2004, 12:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Feb 3 2004, 12:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--afosomf[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:14 PM
    [b]
    [/b][/quote]

He was well short of the 1st down marker. His head may of crossed but the ball was down on his hip.

Not even close. [/b][/quote]
    thanx for stepping up TX, youre all right I don&#39;t care what everybody says about you lol

seriously, doesn&#39;t matter now but it is big of you to point that out as a Patriot fan (notice I didn&#39;t say patsie*?) oops, guess I just did

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:37 PM
    [b]
    thanx for stepping up TX, youre all right I don&#39;t care what everybody says about you lol

[/b][/quote]

thanks 13, I thought it was a pretty obvious call.

The PI on Brown irked me but he did use his hands. My beef was they let them play most of the game without calling it, but in crunch time he gets flagged.

By rule, an offensive receiver can not use his hands.

All in all, it was a very good game by the offcials.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 3 2004, 12:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Feb 3 2004, 12:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:37 PM
    [b]

[/b][/quote]

thanks 13, I thought it was a pretty obvious call.

The PI on Brown irked me but he did use his hands. My beef was they let them play most of the game without calling it, but in crunch time he gets flagged.

By rule, an offensive receiver can not use his hands.

All in all, it was a very good game by the offcials. [/b][/quote]
    agreed

I agree with the folks that said it was a well-called game. AS was definitely stopped, and the Brown interference call was iffy, but other than that, the calls were solid. There were a few "late" hits by both sides, but the refs let them play, which is what they should do.

I thought the elbow on Delhomme after the TD pass was kinda cheap, but you&#39;re not going to get hurt taking hits like that. Besides, we got to see him turn around and call the guy a "mother-fu**er.&#39; Great entertainment for the kids. :lol:

[quote][i]Originally posted by mreis171[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 01:02 PM
    [b] I agree with the folks that said it was a well-called game. AS was definitely stopped, and the Brown interference call was iffy, but other than that, the calls were solid. There were a few "late" hits by both sides, but the refs let them play, which is what they should do.

I thought the elbow on Delhomme after the TD pass was kinda cheap, but you&#39;re not going to get hurt taking hits like that. Besides, we got to see him turn around and call the guy a "mother-fu**er.&#39; Great entertainment for the kids. :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Actually I think he said "That was a floppy utter" He must have seen the halftime show.

BB

Bitter
    At the risk of sounding like one of those Patriots fans in denial, I just watched a show on the NFL Network. They had some head guy from the NFL there to review some questionable calls that that was one of them. He replayed it from 2 different angles. One angle it looked obvious that he was short. Then they showed it from another angle and actually drew a line down the screen. The line cut right across Smith&#39;s shoulder pads. Is it conceivable to you guys that maybe the refs did make the right spot and we were just seeing it from a bad angle?

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by huskeralk[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:52 PM
    [b] The line cut right across Smith&#39;s shoulder pads. Is it conceivable to you guys that maybe the refs did make the right spot and we were just seeing it from a bad angle? [/b][/quote]

Husker- The ball was still on AS&#39;s hip.

Never crossed the 39.

Point, set, match.

We got a favorable call.