Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: refs did fair job

Bitter
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 3 2004, 10:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Feb 3 2004, 10:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--huskeralk[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:52 PM
    [b] The line cut right across Smith&#39;s shoulder pads. Is it conceivable to you guys that maybe the refs did make the right spot and we were just seeing it from a bad angle? [/b][/quote]

Husker- The ball was still on AS&#39;s hip.

Never crossed the 39.

Point, set, match.

We got a favorable call. [/b][/quote]
    Alrighty then. Again, I didn&#39;t see the ball at all, I&#39;m just going by what the man on tv was saying. :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:54 AM
    [b] :ph34r: the refs did good....the biggest blunder call was when the Panthers stuffed the Chowds on 4th and inches and were given the 1st down. Other than that, it was a good officiating. [/b][/quote]
    They said that the reason why this was considered a first down was the angle of the tape that the officiating crew was watching in order to decide this play.

This was mentioned on NFL Total Access by the head of officiating, Piarera (or something like that last name).

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PFSIKH+Feb 3 2004, 12:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PFSIKH @ Feb 3 2004, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:54 PM
    [b] the penalty wouldn&#39;t have matter either way isn&#39;t too smart...you know better, don&#39;t you? [/b][/quote]

On the Mushin Muhammed play. I think the the NFL needs to address this. That is one of several times I have seen a play whistled dead too early and there is no recourse for the defense. [/b][/quote]
    The reason why they said that the officiating crew didn&#39;t call this particular play a fumble was because:

(1) Mushins body was not facing forward toward the Pats end zone and that his body was facing towards the sideline.

(2) They also said that after the whistle was blown, the play is dead and the ball is marked where the whistle was blown. In this case it would have been a first down for the Cats (if it was a catch) but since Mushin clearly fumbled the ball, they couldn&#39;t reward catch and a first down to the Cats on that play.

This was mentioned on NFL Total Access by the head of officiating, Piarera (or something like that last name).

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 3 2004, 12:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Feb 3 2004, 12:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:37 PM
    [b]
    thanx for stepping up TX, youre all right I don&#39;t care what everybody says about you lol

[/b][/quote]

thanks 13, I thought it was a pretty obvious call.

The PI on Brown irked me but he did use his hands. My beef was they let them play most of the game without calling it, but in crunch time he gets flagged.

By rule, an offensive receiver can not use his hands.

All in all, it was a very good game by the offcials. [/b][/quote]
    Sounds familiar... I believe i made that statement in Tenn Game
    and you guys didn&#39;t see it that way

doesn&#39;t matter Kasay F&#39;d up

I thought Smith was stuffed, but what pissed me off was the several replays Carolina got to see to allow them to challenge the spot.

On the previous play, Brady CLEARY made the 1st down, but CBS never showed a single replay&#33; Not once&#33; The Pats got a horrible spot on that one. No way could the staff call for a challenge, even with Brady signalling that the red flag should be tossed, not without even a single replay.

The Smith call was a makeup call for the Pats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Not sure which calls were referred to, but the NFL quietly admitted to 6 blown calls(the non-fumble was one). Heard this on Mike & Dog yesterday.

Practice Squad
    [quote][i]Originally posted by GangGreen63[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 12:40 AM
    [b] [quote][b] Muhammed had possesion & fumbled that football.... [/b][/quote]

He had possesion but didn&#39;t make a move other than turn his head, the rules say he has to make "football related move" to have possesion. He did not by the rules. It was the right call.

Smith got stuffed, the refs blew that call. [/b][/quote]
    The official on NFL Access who reviews the weeks questionable calls said that it was the wrong call, but the whistle blew so there was no point in challenging. He also said one angle showed that Antowain may have made it, but that it was certainly inconclusive. I didn&#39;t think he made it personally, however I don&#39;t believe the refs have all the angles that we got on TV.