Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Corner Back will be the Jets pick in round one

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    After reading TSN Jets team report it seems at this poinht with the Jets wanting to play less cover 2 it seems as if the Jets will probabley select a cornerback in round one. The three candiastes in order form most likly being pick is Chris Gamble OSU, Deanglo Hall V Tech, or Derick Strait or Will Poole. The Jets will probably have a chose of the all four at number 12. So it will be either Chirs Gamble or Deanglo Hall at 12 the Jets would probabley take the higher rated prospect Chris Gamble the both of the can return punts and kicks. So if Gamble is picked in round one watch Michael Boulware slip to the Jets in round twobecause of the deph at linebaker with Vilma, William, Dansby, and Lehman and in round three I think the best on the board could be Rashaun Woods could slip like Kelly Washington last year but more likely Lee Evans and they would pick Evans because Evans played with Bollinger at Wisconsin. So Round one CB Gamble, Round 2 Boulware, Round 3 Lee Evans.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    those picks and a free agent signing of Keyshawn/TO and Mike logan will make the jets a decent team.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we do decide to go CB we should deffenitly trade down, we take their #1 and their #2 maybe even their # or 4th round pick as well, we sign Keyshawn or TO, First round we take best available CB Dunta, Gamble, Poole,Hall, second round Woods if he drops that far which I don;t think he will but if he does then we take him and if Woods isn;t there we go LB (Lehman,Boulware,Rod Davis, maybe even Vilma if he drops) next pick in rd 2 we go LB if woods was there with our first pick in the second round if not we start upgrading the line we could poss get Jake Grove from VT or even Snee from BC, that sounds ok to me, I would be happy with that outcome

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: NEWYORKJETS: What you are saying is very realistic...I could live with that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CB is second hardest position to fill.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you guys think Mickens is deserving of a starting cornerback slot?

I think we need alot more help in the middle of our defense. We need a Strong safety and a linebacker or two in a major way. Another CB for depth would be great but I think if Henderson can be healthy he would fill in as your big cover corner. That would give us D. Abraham, Mickens and Henderson. I also think Beasley would be a lot better in a more aggressive defense if we can keep him for less money.

I hope we either draft Taylor if he is around at 12 or trade down and see if we can get another pick or two in the second through fourth round.

We need a guard- Szott is old

We need a center- Mawai is getting older

We need a Linebacker or two- I love Mo' Lewis & Marvin Jones but they are pretty old

We need a physical reciever or two to play the slot- Moss is a speed reciever and not physical enough to go over the middle for those tough drive sustaining catches. The New England game was proof.

We need to get another QB just to push Pennington to get tougher and stronger.

We need a lot and it can be done. I do hope that Bradway and Edwards can get their s**t together for this season.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You say Aaron Beasly will fit Hendersons sheme well he will not for two reasons. First he will be getting cut it is guranteed and before March 1st Besley, Lewis, Garnes, Jones, Conway and maybe Szott and Cowart will be cut and all but maybe Garnes will not be brought back. Beasley was so slow and reminded me of Damien Robinson in coverage just not good enough. So I beleave the Jets indeed will stay at 12 and draft Chris Gamble and if not him Vilma or Hall in order. Then second Boulware or Woods and then third Evans and maybe Boulware will slip. But Beasley is gone and Mawae is the best center in the league age does not matter right now maybe two years from now. So The game versus Miami was the last for Beasley, Lewis, Conway, Jones, Garnes, Szott and Cowart in green and white. J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: Beasly and Garnes will be gone..thats pretty much assured...we still need to get another starting Corner. Mickens is a baller but I still view him as the best nickel back in the NFL and not a true starting CB.

U said Mawae is old??? In the NFL O-linemen play forever and Mawae will be around for years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    mickens dropped about 10 int's last year..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bman[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 01:42 PM
    [b] mickens dropped about 10 int's last year.. [/b][/quote]
    At least he was in the area of the ball. A hell of a lot better then Beasley can say

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by outsider[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 12:47 PM
    [b] Don't you guys think Mickens is deserving of a starting cornerback slot?
    [/b][/quote]
    No. He's going to always get picked on as a starting corner. At least in the nickle and dime packages, he can cover a general area, as opossed to man-to man on a guy 6 inches taller.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by outsider[/i]@Feb 2 2004, 12:47 PM
    [b] Don't you guys think Mickens is deserving of a starting cornerback slot?

[/b][/quote]
    He's 5'8"......think of him covering a man thats 6'4", or 6'5"

and he got run over by running backs and wide recievers during this past year while trying to tackle......ill pass on that, let him stay as the nickel

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Boulware will be a safety in the NFL, he may be a little too small to play linebacker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who's better???

HALL or GAMBLE????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    When wll Ray Mickens get the credit he deserves? If I remember correctly, Ray Mickens SHUT DOWN Hines Ward and he's about a foot taller than Ray is. And all the complaints about dropping INTs, those are still pass defensed and that is an accurate way to judge a cornerback. If mickens had hands he'd be a receiver, just like every other DB in the world. People need to stop hating on Ray cause he's small, he has more heart than anyone else in the league. 8 season, and nobody gave him a chance. i have a 24 mickens jersey, and he should definately be given the chance to start. And when did Ray ever get ran over? hes the best tackler on the team vince, get it straight

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray "15 yard cushion" Mickens, please he's a nickel back at best and that's it.

He shut down Ward in a freakin Blizzard, I could have done that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: Ray Mickens is a friggin baller but this Jets defense will be upgraded...Ray is a fine nickel back but I just don't want my starting corner to be 5'8!! He is best at the nickel spot......too many tall receivers in the league these days.

I think Gamble is a more polised corner at this stage....Hall is faster but he relies more on his athletic skills while Gamble is more sound technique wise.

This is goona be a very interesting Jets team come training camp.....It's got me excited thinking about it.