Thread: Tigers Land Pudge

Hall Of Fame
    I know most of you all are Yankee and Red Sox fans here, but as a Tigers fan, I am as excited as I have been since the early 90s with what has gone down in Detroit. Now I'm not sitting here predicting World Series, AL Title, Central Title or Wild Card, hell I'm not even predicting a winning season, but I am predicting that this teams days of apathy are over. For once in a very long time, Mike Illitch, the up til now tightwad owner (ironic since he owns the Red Wings as well) has opened up the pocket book and let Dombrowski aquire some weapons. Make no mistake, we didn't just stock the team with players who have opponents shivering in their boots, but we finally have the abiity to remain competitive and turn this thing around.

Signing pudge was a grand accomplishment for once reason: we finally signed someone who WANTED to come here. Now we all know that $40 million will do that but who cares, after the Juan Gonzalez debacle, we needed something to restore credibility to this once pround franchise and Pudge is as close as it.

Curious what you all think of their acquisitions?

Banned
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 3 2004, 12:04 AM
    :we finally signed someone who WANTED to come here.
    Why is that exactly?

Anyway, Pudge is a great player and although I'm a YANKEE fan it'll be nice to see some energy back with the Tigers.

All League
    Tigers at least are showing their fans they are trying to turn around the team and franchise back to being competitive.
    I think it is significant with their young pitchers that Pudge can make them better with his game knowledge.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by tailgators+Feb 3 2004, 12:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tailgators @ Feb 3 2004, 12:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 3 2004, 12:04 AM
    :we finally signed someone who WANTED to come here.
    Why is that exactly?

Anyway, Pudge is a great player and although I&#39;m a YANKEE fan it&#39;ll be nice to see some energy back with the Tigers. [/b][/quote]
    How much time do you have tail? The City of Detroit is a sad tale my friend. I&#39;m in Florida right now, but will give you the dish on Detroit when I get a chance. Detroit is truly the Great American Heartbreak.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by faba@Feb 3 2004, 12:48 PM
    Tigers at least are showing their fans they are trying to turn around the team and franchise back to being competitive.
    I think it is significant with their young pitchers that Pudge can make them better with his game knowledge.
    U hit the nail on the head there dude. One of Pudge&#39;s greatest assest that are often overlooked is his ability to develop young pitchers. Pudge is excellent in pitch management behind the plate and developing youth.

All Pro
    To give a brief background of baseball in detroit the last 10 years:

Ah Where do I begin....

Us Tiger fans have been suffering since the early 1990s. We&#39;ve had to endure 10 straight losing seasons with Mike Illitch as owner. An owner who has spent almost all of his time and energy into making the Red Wings winners, while letting what was once of the most storied franchises in baseball (up there with the Yanks and Red Sox, hard to believe but true) into the mess that it has become today. While the Wings have won the cup 3 times in the last 8 years, the tigers have had 4 100 loss seasons in the last 8. The last time the Tigers had a winning season was when I was 9 years old, and we were only 83-79. (I&#39;m 19 now).

The became a Tiger fan when I went to my first game at Tiger Stadium at age 6. Not only was I instantly hooked on the Tigers on that game, but I also got the added pleasure of seeing Sandy Alomar Jr. charge Frank Tanana (You mets fans should remember him) and a brawl ensuing. Watching them early on was great because the Tigers had guys like Mickey Tettleton, Cecil Fielder, Whit and Tram who were fun to watch. They never won divisions, but they were at least fun to watch and made for some interesting games. After Illitch bought the team from Tom Monahan, things started to go downhill. By 1996, Fielder and Tettleton were traded, Whit and Tram retired, and they were replaced by second rate players and players who were part of our everlasting "5 year rebuilding plan". Illitch also proceeded to hire Randy Smith, by far the worst GM Major League Baseball has ever seen. Smith would do things that would boggle the mind. #1 He usually would only trade with two teams (San Diego, and Houston, We&#39;ve traded for Brad Ausmus twice) And #2 and by far the worst thing of all, he would trade top talent away for s%&. Case in point, trading Travis Fryman and Luis Gonzalez to the D-Backs for Karim Garcia and some pitcher who probably isn&#39;t even in the California Penal Leagues much less the majors right about now, trading Phil Nevin, letting David Wells and Hideo Nomo walk, and trading for a man who didn&#39;t want to be here in the first place in Juan Gonzalez. Smith believed in rebuilding the Tigers through their minor league system, but the problem was that our minor league system was about as barren of talent as the Yankee system is now.

What you get now is the result. About the only thing right Illitch has done in the past 5 years has been hiring Dave Dombrowski. But Dombrowski hasn&#39;t been able to do anything with the Tigers up until now because Illitch not only was not involved whatsoever in how his organization was running, but also the fact that Illitch put a freeze on the payroll which for the past 3 or 4 years has been about 55 million, yet has let the Red Wings payroll bloat to over 75 million while signing Hasek, Hull and Robitaille. Smith, before getting fired, signed Matt Anderson, Steve Sparks, Bobby Higginson, Damion Easley, and Dean Palmer to long term deals with big contracts. The contracts for these 4 players made up 2/3 of the Tiger payroll. Hardly the bunch you build a franchise around. Anderson is now in the minors, Higginson is a never-was, Sparks was a useless knuckleballer, Palmer played 53 games in the last 3 years before retiring, and Easley was released but we still had to foot his 14 million owed to him over this year and next.

As you can imagine, baseball has withered away to nothing in Detroit. The Tigers used to be "The Team" in Detroit. Detroit was never never "Hockeytown"before it was a baseball team. It only became "Hockeytown" when Illitch said to hell with the Tigers and put his money into the Wings.The Tigers have sucked so much for so long that it is real hard for most Detroiters to even follow them now. Illitch has single-handedly managed to drive away or alienate many Tiger fans who wanted to see the Tigers win. Die-hard fans like me and my brother have stuck with them through thick and thin, but it gets harder and harder to do so when there&#39;s been absolutely no hope for the franchise. It sunk to a new low last year we finished with 119 losses, the worst record ever in the American League. HBO had an special about the 1968 Tigers and one man they interviewd said something which struck a cord with me, which was that kids nowadays are growing up and not being able to see a fun team to follow like I did when I grew up. They have nothing to root for, and so they attach themselves to another team.

That&#39;s why this offseason has been somewhat special for us. The Tigers have finally shown that enough is enough, and they want to win. I realize that we&#39;ve overpaid for everyone we&#39;ve signed (especially Pudge) but you have to realize that We had to overpay to get people to even consider Detroit. The fact that the Tigers even signed one person is a miracle to Tiger fans (It&#39;s odd how much enthusiasm I showed after we signed FERNANDO VINA) Illitch has allowed Dombrowski to do what DD&#39;s wanted to do all along which was bring some quality players to the franchise. Mike Illitch is only doing this because of the embarassment the 119 season brought to him.

We&#39;re still not going to make the playoffs this year, and we&#39;ll be lucky if we even make it to .500, but Us Tiger fans at least finally have some hope that things look like they&#39;re going to get better in the next couple of years.

Maxman
    Pudge plays with more heart then anyone in the game. He never takes a pitch off when he is behind the plate. His release is second to none.

He will make the pitching staff better if for no other reason then the fact that nobody will steal on them now. You are pretty much anchored to the base when he is behind the plate.

Good for the Tigers.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Maxman@Feb 4 2004, 09:56 PM
    Pudge plays with more heart then anyone in the game. He never takes a pitch off when he is behind the plate. His release is second to none.

He will make the pitching staff better if for no other reason then the fact that nobody will steal on them now. You are pretty much anchored to the base when he is behind the plate.

Good for the Tigers.
    Let&#39;s hope he can inspire the youth of the Tigers with his ability on both sides of the plate. It&#39;s been a long time since things have looked up in Detroit, if Pudge can generate some sort of turn around with his vast knowledge, hot arm and wicked bat, he&#39;s worth every nickel.

Add Rondell White, Vian at 2B, and some development by the young hitters (Pena, Munson, et al) to a young talented staff (Bondermann, Marouth, etc.) and there is some cause for optimisim in Tigerland.

It&#39;ll still be a tough season, but you are closer to Cleveland then you were last season, and not far behind the Twins, who lost almost their entire &#39;pen. KC and Chicago are still ahead though.

But, at least there is some sembelence of a future for you in Detroit.

Pudge going to Detroit has given new meaning to the term "fantasy baseball". Going to the Tigers is like going to purgatory. The

only good thing about the acquisition of Rodriguez is that he didn&#39;t go to a contender, (from the perspective of the rest of the league). Don&#39;t get me wrong, I&#39;m pulling for Detroit

but one good player won&#39;t make a bit of difference. (Example: A-Rod). He&#39;s following the money like everybody else but by the

time the Tigers build up a decent team, Pudge will be collecting social security. Where does every good team start? With pitching&#33;

The G.M. stuck a crowbar in his wallet and got a player, but is that enough? Or enough to stay away from that record of major

league losses? I&#39;ve liked the Tigers since Norm Cash, Al Kaline, et al but are they deep enough to mine some talent from their

system and get them to the show? Gun, I&#39;m not trying to crap in your Wheaties, hell, I&#39;m a Reds fan, we&#39;re in the same boat. I&#39;d take Rose back.

All Pro
    we&#39;re not saying the Tigers are winning the division. We KNOW there not gonna win teh division. But while Rodriguez came here for the money, he also might be the catalyst of the team. He might spurn the signings of other people next year. Who knows? You gotta remember the last 3 years our only FA signing has been Craig Paquette. For the Tigers to sign anybody is a miracle, but to sign a guy like Pudge for us is beyond belief. We&#39;re not winning the division, but it&#39;s still one helluva start.