Thread: DirectTV question

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

DirectTV is currently allowing CBS East (NY Feed) to be shown on teh HD Channel 80. I assumed that this was a special exemption for teh Super Bowl.

But, lo and behold, it was still broadcasting last night.

Does anyone know if this is now a full-time station? If so, I hope plans are to do the same with the other Networks (local stations for cities had to allow an exemption). It certainly helps D-TV get HD on network television.

I wonder what they will do with Jet games broadcast on teh CBS feed next fall if it is indeed now full-time (blackout if you don't have the NF:L package?)

Just wondering if anyone knows the whole story

I'm a little dense, so I'm not sure I understand your question. However, I've had Directv since it came out in 93 or 94. I live in Florida and used to get the Sunday Ticket. Then they started offering the CBS/NBC/ABC channels that offered both an East and West coast feed. Ever since then I've just made that a part of my package (for about 5 bucks a month) and now I get to see all the Jets games except the ones broadcast on FOX (stupid FOX!!!) As to the high def, I thought that had more to do with the actual broadcaster than it does with Directv. If a station broadcasts a program in high def, and you have the equipment to pick it up, then you should be able to see it in high def. I'm not 100% sure about it though. I don't have a high def. TV or decoder.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

TPA- You had to get an exemption from your local media market to receive the CBS E or CBSW feed (It is the only way you can get it). The majority of Dish owners can't get that, so we are stuck with our local feed which is not HD (the CBSE and CBSW feed are).

For those of us with HD receivers, this now a way for us to get Network feeeds in HD. IU aqctually find it hard tpo believe that it will continue as more people turn to the National fed, it detracts from the local markets' numbers, which mean ad revenue, etc, etc.

All Pro
    Scott, My guess is you're *real* lucky. Stay quiet about it and enjoy it while it lasts!

Because of a *#&&$*#&$ law enacted a couple years ago, it is ILLEGAL for DirecTV to sell you the East/West feeds of CBS/NBC/ABC unless:
    You live far away from any local affiliate ....and...
    The closest station signs a waiver *allowing* you to receive the network feeds

...I've been denied 4 times by CBS and I'm Pi$$ed!

Now...If you want to get creative.... DirecTV has a special exemption for people with campers/RV's etc. If you buy an EXTRA receiver and fill out a form PROMISING you'll only use the receiver in your camper, They'll sell you the East/West feeds for that receiver.

On the form,you have to specify the make/model/Plate# of your RV. ...If it's a yugo, they might be suspicious. If it's an SUV, like my Jeep, is your local CBS station *really* going to check up on you?????? I'm buying a receiver and sending the form as soon as my tax return gets here. B)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JerryK[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:49 AM
    [b] Scott, My guess is you're *real* lucky. Stay quiet about it and enjoy it while it lasts!

Because of a *#&&$*#&$ law enacted a couple years ago, it is ILLEGAL for DirecTV to sell you the East/West feeds of CBS/NBC/ABC unless:
    You live far away from any local affiliate ....and...
    The closest station signs a waiver *allowing* you to receive the network feeds

...I've been denied 4 times by CBS and I'm Pi$$ed!

Now...If you want to get creative.... DirecTV has a special exemption for people with campers/RV's etc. If you buy an EXTRA receiver and fill out a form PROMISING you'll only use the receiver in your camper, They'll sell you the East/West feeds for that receiver.

On the form,you have to specify the make/model/Plate# of your RV. ...If it's a yugo, they might be suspicious. If it's an SUV, like my Jeep, is your local CBS station *really* going to check up on you?????? I'm buying a receiver and sending the form as soon as my tax return gets here. B) [/b][/quote]
    Jerry-If you have the HD receiver, turn to channel 82. It lists all of the cities that have given an EXEMPTION to the CBS local feeds and supplying the NATIONAL feed.

I thought it was just for the SB, but it APPEARS that it MAY be for all the time. The CBS East feed is currently channel 80.

This ONLY works if you have an HD receiver.

All Pro
    Alas, I'm not an HD guy ....yet.

But I could apply the 200 bucks for the ticket toward the HD Reciver.......hmmmmmm

Can I downConvert the HD signal for the CBSE feed and still view it on my standard TV?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JerryK[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 10:00 AM
    [b] Alas, I'm not an HD guy ....yet.

But I could apply the 200 bucks for the ticket toward the HD Reciver.......hmmmmmm

Can I downConvert the HD signal for the CBSE feed and still view it on my standard TV? [/b][/quote]
    Jerry-I am sure that you could, Th eHD boxes are still apretty hefty price-$400-$500 on last look.

I am curious (the point of this post) to see if this is a full time thing , now. If it is. it is HUGE move (see how impertinent my life hs come to) by CBS and I would be curious to see how other Networks react.

All Pro
    Well, This must have been agreed upon by the higher ups at Directv/CBS.

Otherwise Directv would be breaking the law.

My guess is the exemption exists for local affiliates who aren't yet broadcasting "over the air" in HD to their local customers.

Since that's supposed to be required for all broadcasters by 2006 (?) I would expect to see it slowly vanishing.

Any chance you could look up Lansing, MI on channel 82 for me? :rolleyes:

All Pro
    sheesh. this is going to create a dilemma.

Tivo....or CBSE? How will I decide!!!????

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JerryK[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 10:09 AM
    [b] Well, This must have been agreed upon by the higher ups at Directv/CBS.

Otherwise Directv would be breaking the law.

My guess is the exemption exists for local affiliates who aren't yet broadcasting "over the air" in HD to their local customers.

Since that's supposed to be required for all broadcasters by 2006 (?) I would expect to see it slowly vanishing.

Any chance you could look up Lansing, MI on channel 82 for me? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    Jerry-Go to the directv web site, look under HDprogramming and they now list CBS HD as a regular station.

They also list the cities that have given the exemption for the channel (I assume yours would be Detroit market).

It is indeed a permananet thing and they will provide the channel to you as long as you have a local channels package OR a certain program package.

Good luck.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by JerryK[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 10:11 AM
    [b] sheesh. this is going to create a dilemma.

Tivo....or CBSE? How will I decide!!!???? [/b][/quote]
    Not cause you further dilemna, but TIVo is coming out with an HD TIVO Directv receiver this spring.

That is what I am waiting for next. Not sure of the price, but I bet between 450 and $600.

All Pro
    Great news. Thanks!

...so much for my Tivo budget though.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:14 AM
    [b] DirectTV is currently allowing CBS East (NY Feed) to be shown on teh HD Channel 80. I assumed that this was a special exemption for teh Super Bowl.

Does anyone know if this is now a full-time station? If so, I hope plans are to do the same with the other Networks (local stations for cities had to allow an exemption). It certainly helps D-TV get HD on network television.

I wonder what they will do with Jet games broadcast on teh CBS feed next fall if it is indeed now full-time (blackout if you don't have the NF:L package?)

Just wondering if anyone knows the whole story [/b][/quote]
    I have DirecTv and have a rooftop antenna to receive local NY HD programs. The DirecTv problem is the bandwith it would take to offer local HD for the thousands of markets in the US. Not a problem for the cable companies but DirecTv needs many more satellites to carry both local progamming and local HD programming for all markets. Looks like CBS is permanant for DirecTV but only in NY and LA and a handful of markets permitted to carry the NY or LA feed. Only a few Jet games were broadcast in HD by CBS last year. CBS selects one game a week to be in HD (the Bryan Gumble, Phill Simms game). They may add more next year. Try investing in a rooftop antenna if you live within 50 miles of NY, you'll get CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, Channel 11 (Met home games are in HD) and channel 9 (nothing worth watching even if is in HD. I found it well worth the 300 bucks I paid for the antenna and professional installation.

All Pro
    Good point too.

Maybe I'll just get the second regular receiver and "go camping" every sunday.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:14 AM
    [b] DirectTV is currently allowing CBS East (NY Feed) to be shown on teh HD Channel 80. I assumed that this was a special exemption for teh Super Bowl.

Just wondering if anyone knows the whole story [/b][/quote]
    I was checking that out last night as well ?,I usualy watch that channel from the uhf {off-air}.