Thread: One learned lesson from the playoffs

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If you plan on going into the year with rookie D-backs, plan on a long year. D-back is the one position that will get you burned with inexperience at the position.

I saw the Panthers, Patriots and Eagles all have their demise OR almost have their demise because of youth at the DB position.

As I have said all along, if you are looking to win next year, and results are what you are looking for immediately, sign your shut-down corner through FA.

Otherwise, plan on a lot of growing pains at that position resulting in some games next year.

Pats scraped by with it. The Jets would not be so lucky

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:19 AM
    [b] If you plan on going into the year with rookie D-backs, plan on a long year. D-back is the one position that will get you burned with inexperience at the position.

Otherwise, plan on a lot of growing pains at that position resulting in some games next year.

Pats scraped by with it. The Jets would not be so lucky [/b][/quote]

Dierk- All rookies will make mistakes, regardless of the positions they are playing.

Unfortunately, when rookie DB's make mistakes, it usually shows up on the scoreboard or results in a huge play.

This is the learning process for all NFL rookies. Wilson had a pretty rough game on Sunday (he also had a tough game against Indy in the regular season). However, him getting beat was more of blown coverage (late read and not getting in place soon enough) than it was with his physical football ability.

I'm glad BB went with 2 rookies in the secondary this year. They will be better football players next year for it.

It's all about risk versus reward.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by PatsFanTX+Feb 3 2004, 09:33 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (PatsFanTX @ Feb 3 2004, 09:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:19 AM
    [b] If you plan on going into the year with rookie D-backs, plan on a long year. D-back is the one position that will get you burned with inexperience at the position.

Pats scraped by with it. The Jets would not be so lucky [/b][/quote]

Dierk- All rookies will make mistakes, regardless of the positions they are playing.

Unfortunately, when rookie DB&#39;s make mistakes, it usually shows up on the scoreboard or results in a huge play.

This is the learning process for all NFL rookies. Wilson had a pretty rough game on Sunday (he also had a tough game against Indy in the regular season). However, him getting beat was more of blown coverage (late read and not getting in place soon enough) than it was with his physical football ability.

I&#39;m glad BB went with 2 rookies in the secondary this year. They will be better football players next year for it.

It&#39;s all about risk versus reward. [/b][/quote]
    Jets don&#39;t have the luxury that the Pats do (a shut down in Ty Law and Rodney Harrison roaming the middle). It was no mild cooincidence that the Pats pass Defense opened up like a sieve once Harrison came out.

My point is that if we are all in agreement (I mean Jet fans) that this is a WIN NOW at all costs situation, get the CB in FA. To draft a CB and expect him to start with other changes on this unit would spell a tough season for 2004 with the Jets.

All depends how the FO views 2004

Hall Of Fame
    SD -

Do YOU think the Jets are even close to competing for the SB title in 2004?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:42 AM
    [b] SD -

Do YOU think the Jets are even close to competing for the SB title in 2004? [/b][/quote]
    5-Certainly not in their present incarnation, BUT the mantra on this board has been "next season is huge for the org, they have to have at least a winning season......."

Again my point, if you are laying all your eggs in one basket, the rookie CB will not help you get that winning record. It is a matter of win at all costs this year, or take the most prudent path approach.

You can&#39;t have it both ways.

5-getting back tio your original point, YES, given sharp moves and realizations on the coaching staff, I certainly believe that the Jets can make the PLAYOFFS next year. The NFL has shown us that there is so much change from one year to the next (look at the playoff team turnover this year) that you can&#39;t dismis a team rising up quickly.

This no longer the NFL where building is a tedious process. There are flashes in the pan all over the league if you are prudent and astute

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: thats just part of the game...look at newman in dallas....if we get a corner and he starts, then so be it....he will take his lumps which will only make him better.

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetsfreak[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:07 AM
    [b] :ph34r: thats just part of the game...look at newman in dallas....if we get a corner and he starts, then so be it....he will take his lumps which will only make him better. [/b][/quote]

freak- Good point about Neuman in Dallas.

He had a very solid year but did have a couple of tough games as well.

A good OC and QB will game plan to exploit rookie DB&#39;s.

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:42 AM
    [b] SD -

Do YOU think the Jets are even close to competing for the SB title in 2004? [/b][/quote]
    [b]5ever[/b]

alot can happen in one year. there is no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL you just reload and make an attempt for the next year.

i will say this they aren&#39;t quite as bad as 6-10 would have you believe. they were close in many of these games and had a chance to win in the 4th Q... just didn&#39;t get the breaks.

obviously a good team makes its own breaks but like i said the JETS aren&#39;t that far away, all things considered.

TomShane
    Scott, if you don&#39;t want rookie DB&#39;s on the Jets next season, don&#39;t fret. My cosmic psychicness already has predicted the signing of one John Lynch for next season. That will be, umm, fun, especially if you like big plays. We&#39;ll get to watch Lynch and Donnie Abe chasing TE&#39;s down the field for 60 yards at a clip.

I&#39;m already on the record as saying that next year is all about waiting to see how long before Woody decides to pull the trigger on whacking Herman and Bradway. That said, I hope they draft well for the next regime.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: no the Jets were not as bad as 6-10....look at the Pats...they won the superbowl and did not even make the playoffs the next year...they then won it this year. I look at the 2004 Jets with the new coaches and attitude....we will get better players-a better defensive scheme.

On a personal note I think the best offseason pickup was DB coach Graber...his experience should work well with Henderson.

Please Draft....hurry up&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

All Pro
    Was Hobson bad?

I think rookies aren&#39;t the best, but we could have swapped our whole backfield for rookies and I would have been happy.

We probably wouldn&#39;t have done any worse, and this year, they&#39;d be ready.

If Herm had any idea during the season that he&#39;d be firing Ted, he should have started rotating in the rookies...just to let them get a feel for the game for next year.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:20 AM
    [b] Scott, if you don&#39;t want rookie DB&#39;s on the Jets next season, don&#39;t fret. My cosmic psychicness already has predicted the signing of one John Lynch for next season. That will be, umm, fun, especially if you like big plays. We&#39;ll get to watch Lynch and Donnie Abe chasing TE&#39;s down the field for 60 yards at a clip.

I&#39;m already on the record as saying that next year is all about waiting to see how long before Woody decides to pull the trigger on whacking Herman and Bradway. That said, I hope they draft well for the next regime. [/b][/quote]
    no way the FO has the balls to sign over the hill Lynch, who is also herms best buddy,,,no way,,,u would think Herm wouldnt want it either...i seriously doubt this will happen..

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: no way it&#39;ll happen we are gonna go youth on defense and I don&#39;t think that Lynch is the player he was a couple of years ago.

Maxman
    [quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:20 AM
    [b] Scott, if you don&#39;t want rookie DB&#39;s on the Jets next season, don&#39;t fret. My cosmic psychicness already has predicted the signing of one John Lynch for next season. That will be, umm, fun, especially if you like big plays. We&#39;ll get to watch Lynch and Donnie Abe chasing TE&#39;s down the field for 60 yards at a clip.

I&#39;m already on the record as saying that next year is all about waiting to see how long before Woody decides to pull the trigger on whacking Herman and Bradway. That said, I hope they draft well for the next regime. [/b][/quote]
    Bitter and Lonely your table is now available. Bitter and loney...your table is now available.

TomShane
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 3 2004, 02:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Maxman @ Feb 3 2004, 02:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:20 AM

Bitter and Lonely your table is now available. Bitter and loney...your table is now available. [/b][/quote]
    Homo&#33; :lol: