Thread: Maurice Clarrett

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curtis Martin is getting old and a replacement is going to be necessary in a year or two. My question is this... If Clarett becomes eligable for the Draft

would you trade Lamont jordan and a 5th round draft pick to the lions for their second Round draft pick then take Clarrett with the 14th pick in the second round? I would jump all over this b/c i think that clarrett could be a very good back in the league, i just dont think he's ready for the NFL pounding just yet. Barring injury he would only see about 50 carries this year, about the same as Lamont Jordan got last year. Would you do it?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: hell friggin no!!!!!! Clarett played one year in college as a freshman...he is

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: you would be nuts to take him....he is not ready for the NFL....he needs to play more college ball....he was not even the best RB during his freshman year and he missed a few games due to injury.....take a risk on an unproven player???? No Way

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the JETS trade Jordan for a second round they have too many other needs than to take an RB

askew/smart/whoever else (brinker?) can war it out for backup duty

use 2.14 for WR/DB/OG

that would be a sweet spot to take a Chris Snee or Nat Dorsey/OG maybe a Ricardo Cuculough or Matt Ware/DB or even Ernest Wilford/Mike Jenkins WR

what would be hot if LJ and 1.12 for 1.6 if Sean Taylor is there

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus, he would not be there...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [color=red][SIZE=3]NO..NEVER...[/color][/SIZE]

let him get in line like everyone else & follow the rules...the guy was hurt last year in college, hes to small.. you want to pay him to sit around a couple years so he can get hurt later on??

If you want to draft a rb, make him a big one later in the draft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is obvious lamont jordan is not resigning with us next year and in my opinion it would be wise to dump him now for whatever we can get. I dont like Ian smart, askew or any other of our currnet backups filling the void. Maurice clarett would obviously not be playing much in his first year in the league. Why not let him ride the bench and grow up. As for his injuries, i know he was banged up in his freshman year. But remember, their arent to many freshman RB that get thrown into action as quickly as him. I know there are some, but certainly not many.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:41 PM
    [b] [color=red][SIZE=3]NO..NEVER...[/color][/SIZE]

let him get in line like everyone else & follow the rules...the guy was hurt last year in college, hes to small.. you want to pay him to sit around a couple years so he can get hurt later on??

If you want to draft a rb, make him a big one later in the draft [/b][/quote]
    yeah, your right.... too small 6'0 230.... yeah, too small

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM+Feb 3 2004, 12:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (JetsFutureGM @ Feb 3 2004, 12:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jetfan13[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:41 PM
    [b] [color=red][SIZE=3]NO..NEVER...[/color][/SIZE]

If you want to draft a rb, make him a big one later in the draft [/b][/quote]
    yeah, your right.... too small 6&#39;0 230.... yeah, too small [/b][/quote]
    he got suspended and a nobody stepped in & played just as well...what was his name? looks like the product of the system, alot like someone else we know about (Cindy???)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:36 PM
    [b]
    would you trade Lamont jordan and a 5th round draft pick to the lions for their second Round draft pick then take Clarrett with the 14th pick in the second round? [/b][/quote]

This is a very interesting scenario (I like how you threw in the 5th as well b/c no way LJ commands a 2nd round pick on his own).

Clarrett has the size, quickness and speed to be a good NFL running back.

He&#39;s had one very good year (against some pretty good Big 10 defenses) and has shown bursts of brillance.

To me, this would be a pretty big risk on the Jets part but sometimes they really pay off.

Also, I still think CM has 2-3 more very productive years left.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    product of the system? LMAOROFL -- nice rebuttal

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: I don&#39;t care about his size etc...the kid played not even one full year of college football..there are a ton of better backs coming out that at this stage are better than Clarett.....stephen Jackson of O-state and Chris Perry of Michigan to name a couple..these guys played a few years of college ball.

I am not taking a chance of a kid that did not play a full season during his freshman year and thinks he is ready for the pros.....heck no.

I had this discussion with my cousin Kipp Vickers....he played for the Miami Hurricanes and was drafted by the redskins...he won a superbowl ring with the redskins in 2000.....his opinion was that clarett has proved nothing to say that he is NFL ready.

I went to the Univ of Florida and my younger cousin Reggie is a receiver for the Gator team #80.

I attend about 5 home gator games a year and the speed in college is no where near that of the nfl......Clarett needs to get back in school and play more ball before he thinks about the NFL.

Larry Fitzgerald is a different scenario......he is more mature and talented at this stage......he also plays wide receiver. It&#39;s easier for a talented receiver to make an adjustment in the nfl than an unproven running back.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:56 PM
    [b] product of the system? LMAOROFL -- nice rebuttal [/b][/quote]
    Glad you agree...

ok, lets cut to the chase...IMO, he is another TO or Meyshawn without the same talent level..remember him arguing with the head coach on TV on the sideline...I don&#39;t think he is an option but thats my opinion...and I didn&#39;t realize he is that big, my mistake...

wickedtwisted
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 12:36 PM
    [b] Curtis Martin is getting old and a replacement is going to be necessary in a year or two. My question is this... If Clarett becomes eligable for the Draft

would you trade Lamont jordan and a 5th round draft pick to the lions for their second Round draft pick then take Clarrett with the 14th pick in the second round? I would jump all over this b/c i think that clarrett could be a very good back in the league, i just dont think he&#39;s ready for the NFL pounding just yet. Barring injury he would only see about 50 carries this year, about the same as Lamont Jordan got last year. Would you do it? [/b][/quote]
    No way. Clarett hasnt played COLLEGE ball in 1 year let alone NFL play which is soooo much worse. We dont need a back. When we do, we can draft one. We have so many other needs than that particular position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don&#39;t know much about him, but I&#39;m picking up a distinct "Kwame Brown" vibe.