Thread: Will the Jets select Gamble Vilma Hall

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will the New York Jets select Gamble Vilma Hall. Chris Gamble because Gable could be a shut down corner and can return punts. John Vilma because of speed and and need at linbaker and you could trade down to select Vilma or Deanglo Hall most likly because Chris Gamble is gone Hall has a chance to be a shut down corner and people who say Hall is nothing but a return speacilist they are wong because Hall could definatly be a shut down corner. The Jets will sign a wide reciever. The Jets probably select and should select Chris Gamble Ohio State.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what did you say?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:49 PM
    [b] what did you say? [/b][/quote]
    lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    gamble is a gamble as is hall

altho if you think about it between Herm, Donnie and Graber they can teach a WR to play CB?

i'd be happier with R Coculough, M Ware a round later.

Vilma i like but he won't leave round 1. kid is a football player... barring injury will be a playmaker for years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:52 PM
    [b] gamble is a gamble as is hall

altho if you think about it between Herm, Donnie and Graber they can teach a WR to play CB?

Vilma i like but he won't leave round 1. kid is a football player... barring injury will be a playmaker for years. [/b][/quote]
    Bitonti, Hall is an overrated player who is just an amazing athlete.

But Gamble is exactly like Chris McCallister when he came into the league. I remember people talking about the Ravens were reaching with him in 99 with the 9th pick. Its the same thing over again.

Gamble right now is a good corner, but he's got shutdown talent and ability and the JETS really need one of those.

Also I really don't trust these small school corners, out of 5 or 6 that have been drafted high only 1 has made an impact and thats Charles Tillman.

The JETS should trade down and draft Gamble, because they need to draft a corner in round 1, no way do they go way of FA for a corner.

The JETS can get an extra 2nd and/or 3rd round pick which would help a bunch.

Draft Gamble in the first, Lehman/Boulware and Wide Reciever Lee Evans in the 2nd, the JETS address 3 position of needs right then and there with players who can start off the bat.

Also there are plenty of small school corners like Coculough will probably be available in the 3rd round.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mastermind...Gamble is projected as being a top 12 overall pick. The Jets can't trade down and get him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 08:52 PM

Vilma i like but he won't leave round 1. kid is a football player... barring injury will be a playmaker for years. [/b][/quote]
    We're on the same wave-length ... what else is new ;)

I keep getting this feeling that a few years from now folks will be asking ... how the hell was Jon Vilma overlooked by so many teams?

Sort of a defensive version of Anquan Boldin ... folks will site the measurable limitations as the reason for his slippage, but when you watch him wrecking havoc on Sunday's, where he was drafted will seem almost criminal

This player could be a monumental heist ... I'd hate to be one of the teams that took a pass and was WRONG

I guess that's what it comes down too ... I actually fear this player ... I fear taking a pass and having it come back to haunt us ... this is exactly the type of player who can come back to haunt you in a BIG WAY

Man, I wish this dude was a little bigger .. it would make this pick a no-brainer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 3 2004, 11:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 3 2004, 11:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bitonti[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 08:52 PM

i&#39;d be happier with R Coculough, M Ware a round later.

Vilma i like but he won&#39;t leave round 1. kid is a football player... barring injury will be a playmaker for years. [/b][/quote]
    We&#39;re on the same wave-length ... what else is new ;)

I keep getting this feeling that a few years from now folks will be asking ... how the hell was Jon Vilma overlooked by so many teams?

Sort of a defensive version of Anquan Boldin ... folks will site the measurable limitations as the reason for his slippage, but when you watch him wrecking havoc on Sunday&#39;s, where he was drafted will seem almost criminal

This player could be a monumental heist ... I&#39;d hate to be one of the teams that took a pass and was WRONG

I guess that&#39;s what it comes down too ... I actually fear this player ... I fear taking a pass and having it come back to haunt us ... this is exactly the type of player who can come back to haunt you in a BIG WAY

Man, I wish he was bigger .. it would make this pick a no-brainer [/b][/quote]
    Agreed 100%.

Vilma&#39;s the best player on that Miami defense. Period. Exclamation point.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by RichardSeymour[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 10:16 PM
    [b] Agreed 100%.

Vilma&#39;s the best player on that Miami defense. Period. Exclamation point. [/b][/quote]
    RS, no doubt about it ... much better player than DJ Williams ... better football player than Wilfork too

Sean Taylor may have been THE BEST Player on Miami&#39;s defense ... but not by much ... Jon Vilma was RIGHT THERE with him

But Taylor has the measurables that make him a TOP 5 Pick ... his measurables leave virtually NO QUESTION about his pro prospects ... but as college players Vilma and Taylor were both dominant players, with a slight nod to Taylor

Bottom Line: Vilma is the type of player who can get GM&#39;s fired ... for taking a pass and being wrong

If this cat adds 10-15 pounds of muscle without sacrificing speed ... the sky is the limit

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here&#39;s the GOOD NEWS on Vilma .....

He will be there for the Jets at 12 ... you can put that in the bank

So if the Jets study this player and deem he will add the necessary bulk without sacrificing speed ..... if the Jets see him transfering his dominance to the next level ... he will absolutely be there for the pickings

In short, if the Jets LOVE THIS PLAYER, they can pretty much put his name on a jersey tonite

It&#39;s at least comforting to know that WE WILL have a chance to PASS or POUNCE on Jon Vilma

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:43 PM
    [b] It&#39;s at least comforting to know that WE WILL have a chance to PASS or POUNCE on Jon Vilma [/b][/quote]
    Im pretty sure we can trade out of 12 to 13-20 and still land vilma if we play our cards right....but then again who knows whats going to happen by then...this guy could very well walk into the top 10 by the time the draft rolls around.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Smizzy[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 10:47 PM
    [b] ..... but then again who knows whats going to happen by then...this guy could very well walk into the top 10 by the time the draft rolls around. [/b][/quote]
    Good Point, Smiz ... it&#39;s still early in the process ... I should never say "absolutely" ... as in Vilma will "absolutely" be there

Right now that appears certain ... let&#39;s hope it stays that way

I just want us to have an opportunity to PASS or POUNCE ... I want that to be our decision ... I don&#39;t want some other team making that decision for us by plucking JV earlier than 12

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every year the same thing happens.....kiper puts out his top 25.......the players go to the combine &/or individule workouts.....40 times get blown completely out of proportion....guys you think that are end of 1st and 2nd round picks fly up the board and before you know it guys who were expected to be top 10 picks slip into the top 15 ....This is why i don&#39;t want the jets to commit to anybody right now.

I want to wait and see who slips....test the trade value of my pick ....if nobody bites...i take the BAP(within reason)....Belichick said something that stuck with me "its not who can collect the most talent...its who can assemble the best team"...i say we start building a team...ASAP.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ham just to add to that...

it would at 12 be strictly speaking be a reach ... just like Dwight Freeney was a reach for the Colts - he FIT the team perfectly and is deadly on that turf... a pick people panned right away

what this team needs is someone to take control of the defense and make the calls. Set the tempo - be a leader not just by example but in every way

for a guy with Vilma&#39;s measurables to be the leader of the Miami D speaks for itself

wickedtwisted
    [quote][i]Originally posted by patman[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:49 PM
    [b] what did you say? [/b][/quote]
    Haha you guys crack me up sometimes.... :D

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    :ph34r: Gamble will be around at 12.....I know he only really played one full year at corner but the kid played in the friggin big ten against very good receivers and that a damn good start....nice combination of size and speed...(Hall is like 5&#39;9) I think he would be a fine pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    12 is too early to pick Vilma. My biggest concern with him is his size, almost wonder if he could be converted to safety...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:43 PM
    [b] Here&#39;s the GOOD NEWS on Vilma .....

He will be there for the Jets at 12 ... you can put that in the bank

So if the Jets study this player and deem he will add the necessary bulk without sacrificing speed ..... if the Jets see him transfering his dominance to the next level ... he will absolutely be there for the pickings

In short, if the Jets LOVE THIS PLAYER, they can pretty much put his name on a jersey tonite

It&#39;s at least comforting to know that WE WILL have a chance to PASS or POUNCE on Jon Vilma [/b][/quote]
    Ham- I asked this question a few weeks ago, and I&#39;m still perplexed.

If the Jets absoulutely LOVE Vilma (and I know TS is down on him--but man, with my own eyes he looks like so much more of a playmaker than DJ--but again, I&#39;m not a pro-talent evaluator), how do they risk trading down even a few spots and risk losing him?

DJ looks like all potential to me.

Vilma looks like a ready made wrecking crew (and I&#39;ve never read a word about him by Kiper).

We are all so enamored of garnering an extra pick[s] to move down a few slots to still take Vilma.

F-that. I&#39;d just as soon trade Lamont for picks and still take Vilma at 12 (and I like Lamont, and I&#39;m waning on Cumar).

I think I am convincing myself more and more that I want Vilma, and I want him at 12.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Smizzy[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 12:02 AM
    [b] Every year the same thing happens.....kiper puts out his top 25.......the players go to the combine &/or individule workouts.....40 times get blown completely out of proportion....guys you think that are end of 1st and 2nd round picks fly up the board and before you know it guys who were expected to be top 10 picks slip into the top 15 ....This is why i don&#39;t want the jets to commit to anybody right now.

[/b][/quote]
    Suggs dropped out of the top ten because of a slow 40 time... 12 sacks made him defensive rookie of the year. S Ed Reed dropped to the latter half of the first round after he couldn&#39;t do better than a 4.56 40. Like Suggs, he became a defensive rookie of the year. Best 40 times at their position last two years were Bryan Thomas and DeWayne Robertson...... &#39;nuff said.

Does anyone like a Jim Thorpe DB of the year award winner who beat out Sean Taylor for the award? And also snared the Bronco Nagurski Award as the best overall defensive player in college last year? The last two Thorpe winners were S Roy Williams and CB Terrence Newman, neither won the Nagurski Award. Kiper has him out of the first round because of a 4.45 40 time that can&#39;t compete with Hall&#39;s or Gamble&#39;s 40 time.