Thread: Jets Off-Season & Mock

Veteran
    NYJ Off-season.... Tell me what you think.

2) Cut Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones, Aaron Beasley, J.P. Machado, Vinny Testeverde & Dave Szott.

1) Sign Terrell Owens and either Brandon Short or Ian Gold. Both Short and Gold should come exremely cheap and will provide a decent to good level of stability at one of the OLB positons.

[u]NFL DRAFT[/u]

Trade: Lamont Jordan and our 5th round pick to the Lions for their 2nd rounder.

1. San Francisco gives the jets their 1st and 3rd rounder to move up to the #12 spot so that they can fill the void left by T.O.

#16 Jets pick CB Chris Gamble. We have a huge void to fill there with only one decent corner on the roster. DC Henderson will lobby for this pick to give the team an oportunity to play more Man to Man.

#36 Jets Draft LB Teddy Lehman. This instantly brings one of the speediest LB's to the Jets. Tanacious LB who i believe will be able to start from day 1. He has a high motor and will instantly become a field general at LB.

:blink: #42 Jets draft Maurice Clarett of OSU. This is a shocker, but i believe it is worth the risk. Any RB on the jets is only going to see about 50 carries anyway in his next year. Why cant it be Clarett? He will be able to sit behind C. Martin and learn the position while adjusting to the Speed of the NFL. Durability is a slight concern of mine, but i take the risk. Once upon a time C. Martin, Fred Taylor, Deuce McCallister, Clinton Portis, and Warrick Dunn had durability questions, but they have gone on to be successful. [b]Think of it as us giving the lions a 5th round pick for him. ITS A BONUS PICK.[/b]

#76 Jets select OG Chris Snee from BC. Guard is a problem area for the Jets. I just hope he falls into out lap in the 3rd round.

Hall Of Fame
    if clarett does go to the nfl a team will get him 2nd round. short ? f-no im not getting a guy who pretty much destroyed our season. we would of been at least 8-8 with chad full time

We don't have the luxury of drafting Clarett. We have too many holes to fill with those early picks. I like Cedric Cobbs out of Arkansas as a RB to look for in the draft but not too early.

Veteran
    I like the picks and offseason moves but Clarrett does not get my vote, he played one season as a freshman and seems to be way to small/young to step up to the nfl.

Veteran
    i understand being young.. but the guy is 6' 230

If we need a second rounder to replace him it would not make sense to trade Lamont Jordan. If we can fill other holes and use a mid round pick or free agency to find a replacement, moving Lamont would be the way to go.

Veteran
    it does if you think that clarett will be taht much better then jordan, which i do. Dont sleep on bradway, he might do it. When jordan was drafted, it certainly wasnt a need. It is more of a need now then it was then.. im not saying that it is good to use that logic, but bradway has done it before.

[quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:21 PM
    [b] it does if you think that clarett will be taht much better then jordan, which i do. Dont sleep on bradway, he might do it. When jordan was drafted, it certainly wasnt a need. It is more of a need now then it was then.. im not saying that it is good to use that logic, but bradway has done it before. [/b][/quote]
    The botom line is that a second round pick is valuable, especially in a salary cap league. To use two second rounders in four years on players that will pick splinters out of their ass while stuck behind Curtis Martin defies all logic IMHO.

Veteran
    this is true... however - I'm not saying that i am 100% for the clarett pick, but if he is there, i think it will be intresting to see what bradway will due. In my opinion, i dont think this is anywhere near the risk that McGahee is and he didnt even make it out of the 1st round. Being a mid 2nd round choice, he would get top dollar. Remember, curtis martin is going to be 31 in may. i think he has 2 seasons of productivity left, which would be a perfect situation for clarett, who would be 22 when he actually sees a significant amount of playing time.

why waste a second rounder on him. I think its ridiculous. If this kid came out last year he MIGHT have been a second rounder. So he didnt eveen play football this year and hes goign to be a second rounder??

I think not, if hes lucky hell get picked in the 3rd or maybe fourth. Not playing football, and showing you playing football strictly for money and wanting to come out after being good for one season does not make you a second rounder.

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by ikehitstina[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 11:25 PM
    [b] why waste a second rounder on him. I think its ridiculous. If this kid came out last year he MIGHT have been a second rounder. So he didnt eveen play football this year and hes goign to be a second rounder??

I think not, if hes lucky hell get picked in the 3rd or maybe fourth. Not playing football, and showing you playing football strictly for money and wanting to come out after being good for one season does not make you a second rounder. [/b][/quote]
    there's no way clarett makes it out of the 2nd round. Maybe JUST maybe the 3rd round. If a team has a hole at RB, you dont think theyre gonna gamble on him? Physically, clarett is top 5 in the league. There are not many 230 pounders who have the skills that he possesses. Am i saying he is going to be a GREAT RB? NO, im not. But he certainly has the talent. And as for him wanting to go to the pros, would you turn down Millions if you were in the same position? I wouldnt, not after seeing what happend to McGahee. If he thinks he's ready, he's wrong. But he will be as ready as can be in a year or two. I bet you if he is there in the 2nd round, Bradway considers it.

I also wanted to comment on something as well. Have you guys (nobody in particular) seen him play? He is extremely talented! More then one person on this board has commented on his lack of size (which is absurd) and his ability. I just dont get it.

Banned
    i would rather get payton in the 4th round if he is there...

This is a nice effort GM and if things were to shake this way, it would certainly be interesting.

Going to the draft picks:

[b]Chris Gamble[/b]: After Gamble's sophmore year, I thought he was an almost certain 10 pick. However, anybody who follows OSU, would tell you Gamble had a poor season. Matter of fact, Gamble admitted it himself and insinuated he almost had to leave after this season (he's a junior) because 2 consecutive bad seasons at OSU would cost him in the draft. He basically told the Cincinnati Enquirer a little while back, that even though he struggled more than he expected, NFL would still be high on him due to his "athletic ability". He went on to say, that two bad season's at OSU could really harm his stock.

Gamble's lowpoint of the season had to be covering Purdue's #2 WR and getting absolutely smoked in a huge game, then tanking the next week too in a huge Big 10 match.

Gamble may well be an excellent NFL player some day, but #16 overall? I'd, personally, be hesitant. If he couldn't handle teams #2 WR's well last season, he's a long way from covering the likes of Moss, Harrison, ect...

[b]Teddy Lehman[/b]--I think I know why most Jets fans want him in round 2: Simply, they know he's a first round caliber player, who would be a steal in round 2...Let's see, he's expected to be one of the fastest's LB's in the draft; he's tall and with 10 extra pounds (which adding at his height won't be tough), he could be a monster.....I think, as the draft draws closer, he's got a chance to go at the end of round one. He's just too physically gifted and been too productive not to.

[b]Chris Snee-[/b]-He's described as a player similar to what the Patriots have now on the O-Line, except much more physically gifted :blink:

If that's true, I think he goes at the round #1 or in the top half of round #2....Very good player.

Veteran
    As far as sleeper Running Backs go, I'd look for Julius Jones from Notre Dame in the 5th. As for our Cornerback needs, Lets consider the real possibility of a connection between Henderson and Chris McCallister. Spend TO's money on Chris, you'll still have pleny of money left over for a Tai Streets type Wideout, and target one of the Williams' or Winslow with 12. I'd prefer Winslow, because the TE seems to be more of an immediate contributing position as a rookie than corners or receivers. Just my opinion.

Screw Clarett. Draft Tatum Bell in the 5th.

Banned
    1.)Why the hell would we cut Vinny? If Chad goes down again, I sure as hell don't want this team in the hands of Brooks FN Bollinger.

2.)Maurice Clarett? MAURICE CLARETT?! If the Jets were to actually draft Maurice Clarett, I would throw my remote through the damn TV. I don't think one injury-plagued season of college football qualifies you as NFL material, much less 2nd round material. Especially since he hasn't played in over a year. We are past the point of needing a NAME. Drafting Clarett would be drafting a NAME, not a productive player. I'm sure we could've drafted Gino Toretta ten years ago and a bunch of idiots would have hailed him as the second coming of Ken O'Brien, but college success doesn't always translate into NFL success. I don't want a big fancy name, I want a solid player.

All Pro
    [quote][i]Originally posted by JetsFutureGM[/i]@Feb 3 2004, 09:15 PM
    [b]NYJ Off-season.... Tell me what you think.

2) Cut Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones, Aaron Beasley, J.P. Machado, Vinny Testeverde & Dave Szott.

1) Sign Terrell Owens and either Brandon Short or Ian Gold. Both Short and Gold should come exremely cheap and will provide a decent to good level of stability at one of the OLB positons.

[u]NFL DRAFT[/u]

Trade: Lamont Jordan and our 5th round pick to the Lions for their 2nd rounder.

1. San Francisco gives the jets their 1st and 3rd rounder to move up to the #12 spot so that they can fill the void left by T.O.

#16 Jets pick CB Chris Gamble. We have a huge void to fill there with only one decent corner on the roster. DC Henderson will lobby for this pick to give the team an oportunity to play more Man to Man.

#36 Jets Draft LB Teddy Lehman. This instantly brings one of the speediest LB's to the Jets. Tanacious LB who i believe will be able to start from day 1. He has a high motor and will instantly become a field general at LB.

:blink: #42 Jets draft Maurice Clarett of OSU. This is a shocker, but i believe it is worth the risk. Any RB on the jets is only going to see about 50 carries anyway in his next year. Why cant it be Clarett? He will be able to sit behind C. Martin and learn the position while adjusting to the Speed of the NFL. Durability is a slight concern of mine, but i take the risk. Once upon a time C. Martin, Fred Taylor, Deuce McCallister, Clinton Portis, and Warrick Dunn had durability questions, but they have gone on to be successful. [b]Think of it as us giving the lions a 5th round pick for him. ITS A BONUS PICK.[/b]

#76 Jets select OG Chris Snee from BC. Guard is a problem area for the Jets. I just hope he falls into out lap in the 3rd round.[/b][/quote]
    [color=green][font=Arial][b]ERROR J.P. Machado IS A FREE AGENT [/b][/font][/color] B)

Veteran
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Troll[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 06:39 AM
    [b] 1.)Why the hell would we cut Vinny? If Chad goes down again, I sure as hell don't want this team in the hands of Brooks FN Bollinger.

2.)Maurice Clarett? MAURICE CLARETT?! If the Jets were to actually draft Maurice Clarett, I would throw my remote through the damn TV. I don't think one injury-plagued season of college football qualifies you as NFL material, much less 2nd round material. Especially since he hasn't played in over a year. We are past the point of needing a NAME. Drafting Clarett would be drafting a NAME, not a productive player. I'm sure we could've drafted Gino Toretta ten years ago and a bunch of idiots would have hailed him as the second coming of Ken O'Brien, but college success doesn't always translate into NFL success. I don't want a big fancy name, I want a solid player. [/b][/quote]
    oh yeah, if chad goes down again maybe vinny can save our team again! Hackett and Vin will never be good together, i say cut our losses now and take the cap hit in 2005.

Please buddy, if you dont think Clarett is talented, then you havent seen him play. Also, this was a MOCK draft. It was PREDICTIONS or GUESSES. s**t happens at draft time that is unexpected, especially with bradway. Remeber the Lamont jordan pick? The Bryan Thomas pick? The BJ Askew pick? Yeah, im sure you didnt see any of their names on a Jets mock draft.