[u]Pats[/u]
    [b]Branch: 10 rec, 143 yds, 1TD - Height: 5'9"
    Givens: 5 rec, 69 yds, 1TD - Height: 6'0"
    Brown: 8 rec, 76 yds, Height: 5'10"[/b]

[u]Panthers[/u]
    Smith: 4 rec, 80 yds, 1 TD, Height: 5'9"
    Proehl: 4 rec, 71 yds, 1TD, Height: 6'0"
    Muhammed: 4 rec, 140 yds, 1TD, Height 6'2"

The world champions didn't have a single guy taller than 6'0" yet won the Lombardi. 4 of 5 overall receiving TDs were scored by WRs under 6'0". The Panthers almost won the damn thing with 2 out of 3 receivers 6'0" or shorter. If you look at past Super Bowls, you will see that few world champion teams featured a 6'2" and taller WR. Many of them won with receivers 6'0" and shorter.

The fact is, in the modern salary-cap NFL, defense wins championships as the Patriots(2), Bucs, Ravens and Rams have proven in the past 5 Super Bowls. Games can be won and points can be scored by receivers under 6'0". It IS possible to bring the Lombardi home with a good, accurate passing game.

Wasting the #1 pick on a WR would be foolish. Our offense has proven time and time again that we can score when we want while our defense continues to bleed heavily out its anus. There are bargain WRs to be found in later rounds, but our first priority is to put a defense on that field that can play and win like the Panthers, Patriots and Bucs. Scoring 30 pts with your 6'4" WR is nice, but losing 31-30 doesn't do much good.

TomShane
    I think you'd have to say that the Pats are an anamoly of a team.

If you were to take that entire team, pretend that they're all seniors coming out in the draft and run them through a combine, you'd come out with two true first-round graded guys- Seymour and Ty Warren. The rest of them, you'd look at as 4th rounders, maybe thirds.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by TomShane[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 06:03 AM
    [b] I think you'd have to say that the Pats are an anamoly of a team.

If you were to take that entire team, pretend that they're all seniors coming out in the draft and run them through a combine, you'd come out with two true first-round graded guys- Seymour and Ty Warren. The rest of them, you'd look at as 4th rounders, maybe thirds. [/b][/quote]

I disagree TS.

When it's all said and done. The Pats could have 3 to 5 hall of famers on their roster. They have the best QB in football, The best safety, the best kicker, arguably a top 3 CB and one of the games best overall d-lineman in Seymour.

Outside of maybe Kevin Mawae, Can you name any Jets that are the best at their position in the entire league.

The Patriots have a very deep and talented roster. Let's kill that perception now that they are a bunch of players off the street.

Bill Belichick and his staff are the best in all sports, There's no question about that but... They went 5 and 11 in 2000 and missed the playoffs last year. The Pats this year had the best overall roster in The NFL from top to bottom outside of maybe their long snapper and punter.

[quote][i]Originally posted by YoungJetsFan+Feb 4 2004, 02:36 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (YoungJetsFan @ Feb 4 2004, 02:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--TomShane[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 06:03 AM
    [b] I think you&#39;d have to say that the Pats are an anamoly of a team.

If you were to take that entire team, pretend that they&#39;re all seniors coming out in the draft and run them through a combine, you&#39;d come out with two true first-round graded guys- Seymour and Ty Warren. The rest of them, you&#39;d look at as 4th rounders, maybe thirds. [/b][/quote]The Pats this year had the best overall roster in The NFL from top to bottom outside of maybe their long snapper and punter. [/b][/quote]
    I just wanna address both comments here:

First to YJF: I want to take exception to the long snapper comment. (I know that is an odd one to take on) The Pats are on their third long snapper of the season. Their normal one, Lonnie &#39;snow angel&#39; Paxton torn a ligament in his knee and is on IR. He never has had a bad snap for as long as I can remember him being on the team. Now our 3rd LS, who was out of football for 2 seasons, did a servicable job, which is all you can legitimately expect for the backup to the backup long snapper.

Punter I agree. However he does have one redeeming featue: excellent hands. Rarely do you see a mis-handled snap (even had a nice pickup of one bad snap in the super bowl). He is eminently replacable, I agree.

Now to Tom Shane: If you just ran the them through the combine, yeah you wouldn&#39;t get many workout warriors. But if you took their production, that would certainly modify things a bit. Like the Pats FO, I am not a big fan of workout warriors. If someone told you that a QB would accomplish what Brady has, and had that decisiveness and pocket presence, I guarantee you that he would never last past the first round. Maybe late first, but still there are ALWAYS teams looking for upgrades or drafting for the future (see Pennington being taken while Vinny was in NY).

While you may find Troy Brown, Mike Vrabel, Deion Branch and the like in the later rounds, that is what seperates the good and bad FO&#39;s and coaching staffs. Being able to find guys in the later rounds (Troy Brown, 8th round; Asante Samuel, 4th round; Dan Koppen, 5th round) who can play. No team will ever have a roster of all first rounders, so you have to be able to find and develop other sources of talent.

Practice Squad
    I agree. I am a little sick when I here talk of signing or drafting a WR because of size. With a QB like Penny we don&#39;t need a big guy we need 4 solid contributors,strong, aggressive, great hands, quick, good route runners. When you have 3 or 4 guys like this, Penny will do what he has to to move safeties and backers with eyes and pumps. Someone will always be open. Penny did not play the west coast offense in college, we have to remember that he operated a more open spread type of attack. Penny wass getting rushed regardless this seasons, and was always under pressure. And when he looked to his outlet the outher team almost always had it covered. We were predictable. We should have used more of an open attack with shutgun, but our WRs don&#39;t scare anybody.

If we are going to stay with 2 WR sets than we have to become a much better running team. We should sign a solid OG FA and focus on becoming a dominating running team. Than we can work the passing off of play action.

I would rather sign D. Northcutt and make a move for 2nd or 3rd round WR. I would rather have depth and interchangeable pieces than one big guy. I&#39;m trying to think of a Superbowl team with 6&#39;3 star WRs and can only come up with Tampa (Meshawn, Jurevicious), Dallas, and Denver (Mccafarey)

Banned
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 01:49 AM
    [b] [u][b]SUPER BOWL XXXVIII WRs[/b][/u]

[u]Pats[/u]
    [b]Branch: 10 rec, 143 yds, 1TD - Height: 5&#39;9"
    Givens: 5 rec, 69 yds, 1TD - Height: 6&#39;0"
    Brown: 8 rec, 76 yds, Height: 5&#39;10"[/b]

[u]Panthers[/u]
    Smith: 4 rec, 80 yds, 1 TD, Height: 5&#39;9"
    Proehl: 4 rec, 71 yds, 1TD, Height: 6&#39;0"
    Muhammed: 4 rec, 140 yds, 1TD, Height 6&#39;2"

The world champions didn&#39;t have a single guy taller than 6&#39;0" yet won the Lombardi. 4 of 5 overall receiving TDs were scored by WRs under 6&#39;0". The Panthers almost won the damn thing with 2 out of 3 receivers 6&#39;0" or shorter. If you look at past Super Bowls, you will see that few world champion teams featured a 6&#39;2" and taller WR. Many of them won with receivers 6&#39;0" and shorter.

The fact is, in the modern salary-cap NFL, defense wins championships as the Patriots(2), Bucs, Ravens and Rams have proven in the past 5 Super Bowls. Games can be won and points can be scored by receivers under 6&#39;0". It IS possible to bring the Lombardi home with a good, accurate passing game.

Wasting the #1 pick on a WR would be foolish. Our offense has proven time and time again that we can score when we want while our defense continues to bleed heavily out its anus. There are bargain WRs to be found in later rounds, but our first priority is to put a defense on that field that can play and win like the Panthers, Patriots and Bucs. Scoring 30 pts with your 6&#39;4" WR is nice, but losing 31-30 doesn&#39;t do much good. [/b][/quote]
    I wasn&#39;t aware that the Rams were a defensive team. I guess you learn something new every day. Personally, I don&#39;t give a damn how tall the Patriots recievers are, and their little recievers can kiss my green and white ass when we stomp them into the ground next season with whatever gargantuan wide-out Terry Bradway decides to bless us with.

Practice Squad
    Exactly I don;t give a rats ass what type of Wr&#39;s or other players the Pat&#39;s have , the small wideouts work in their offense, we run the West Coast O, we NEED&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; a BIG&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; receiver, the only WR I would take out of the ones you mentioned was Steve Smith that guy is nasty, all the others I&#39;m glad they helped the pats and the Panthers get to the superbowl, , Chad needs a #1 receiver a go to guy someone who will go over the middle when we need 5 yards for the first down and continues the drive, no knock on Santana but I clearly remember him getting gator arms in the Pats game when if he had stretched out and caught it would have continued the drive, he deosn;lt catch the ball but instead let&#39;s it go right over his head for an incompletion, we punt then stop them we drive Chad feels he has to make a play and he throws a pick. No clue what you people who think we&#39;ll be ok with smaller receivers are thinking, WE HAVE A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK WHO IS PERFECT FOR THE WC OFFENSE THAT WE RUN, WE NEED TO SURROUND HIM WITH 1st TIER TALENT, quit trying to emulate other teams were the ****ing New York Jets not the NE Pats, congrats on the SB win but f**k you, as a life long jet fan that&#39;s all I can honestly say to you all. Push for TO signing or a Williams or Winslow in the draft crap even pray for Keyshawn because we can use his ego for us, he was cut halfway through the year, everybody in the NFL is talking s**t about him, if we do sign him he will be coming into training camp with a chip on his shoulder the size of his mouth and we know how big his mouth is.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: good points made by all but I still want a taller receiver....we have a stud in moss and there is no reason that we should not get a bigger receiver. Yes the Patriots has success but they ru a different style of offense than the Jets....they throw these dink and dunk passes.

We still need a big receiver.

Hall Of Fame
    You guys just don&#39;t give the JETS any credit&#33; Heck, we have the NFL&#39;S top headcase err coach who doubles as a CHEERLEADER and Bar-B-QW chef&#33; McGlock can sleep sitting up in front of a locker and our GM vacations while ROME burns&#33; Our team is re-writing poor clock management&#33; How many other teams can say that?LOL :lol: :&#60;&#33;--emo&Angry:--&#62;[img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]&#60;&#33;--endemo--&#62;PS The WCO does not throw deep but the purpose is to keep moving the chains. We need a tall WR plain and simple. But will Duh Herm use one if we had one? Angry

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: we had one receiver all year in 2003....yes if we get another WR...Herm will use him&#33;

Veteran
    The offense is not the big problem right now ... defense is. We need to secure our LB and secondary corps. No way do I want to see a WR in round one ... or round two for that matter.

Hall Of Fame
    The QB style of Pennington requires WR&#39;s that are taller than 6 FT. because he throws to spots and areas looking for his WR to jump and catch a ball thrown.

You rarely see PENNY throw a bullet pass to any of his WR&#39;s and if he did, being smaller than 6 ft wouldn&#39;t matter in this type of situation.

Hall Of Fame
    :ph34r: thanks for putting an end to the topic south florida Jet.....west coast offense works better with a receiver over 6&#39;0. It want also enhance Santana&#39;s talent.....no brainer about getting a bigger receiver....the pats has success witht eh smurphs but thats the pats...they run a different type of offense.