Thread: Encouraging take

From the Feb. 4 "Whispers" at [url=http://www.profootballweekly.com]http://www.profootballweekly.com[/url] ....

Don’t underestimate what the loss of Donnie Henderson means to Baltimore’s defense. Henderson, formerly the Ravens DB coach, was recently named the Jets’ defensive coordinator. A source close to the Ravens says Henderson is credited for turning around CB Chris McAlister’s season, and coach and player were said to have a very good relationship. (McAlister is an unrestricted free agent, but the Ravens are unlikely to let him get away without a fight.) Former Giants defensive coordinator Johnnie Lynn took Henderson’s place in Baltimore. We hear the Ravens expected to lose Henderson or DL coach Rex Ryan to a coordinator’s job but did not want to lose both coaches. The Raiders reportedly had interest in interviewing Ryan, but head coach Brian Billick indicated he will not let any other assistants leave.

What this guy did with McCallister makes a huge case for drafting a CB (Gamble, Hall) in round one. I'm expecting the DL and LBs to improve as the young guys we drafted last year (Robertson, Hobson) step up and a mid-level FA or two (Brandon Short?) gets added to the mix.

Shutdown corners are rare commodities, and having a stud opposite Donnie Abraham (who is an excellent No. 2 corner) and Mickens as a nickel would really upgrade the corners. Plus, Henderson should be able to push McGraw to another level.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    :ph34r: I agree and u can also put Graber in that mix regarding DB's.

I also love the fact that this team will actually blitz.

We blitz in the 31-0 shellacking of buffalo but it's like we did not for the rest of the year......I never understood that...we now have a very aggressive DC....it's risky but I love the blitz.....next move is to bring in the players that can make it work.....Hobson at LB is a nice start.

Well put.

I don't think we need to be the '85 Bears or anything, but we need to blitz enough so QBs aren't comfortable in the pocket. And also to let the high-paid studs on the front four wreak more havoc.

I think Bradway is pretty well set-up for a banner offseason. As I understand it, he has enough cap room to add free agents. If they want to sign Owens, fine. He;s a star. But I'd personally be very satisfied with bringing in proven but younger and less expensive guys (like Brandon Short and Tai Streets and somebody, anybody at guard.)

The draft happens to be deep at our need positions. Assuming we get some help at WR, OG and LB through FA, here's how I'd aproach it:

1) Best available CB, probably Hall or Gamble
    2) Best available WR/LB, probably Lee Evans (Teddy Lehman in my dreams)
    3) Best available LB/OG

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Odd: "whispers" when they center around possible doltish moves by the front office generally draw hundreds of posts and typical guffaws from teh usual suspects.

"whispers" that portend to possible smart moves aree left with crickets.

Wonder why that is?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 05:47 PM
    [b] Odd: "whispers" when they center around possible doltish moves by the front office generally draw hundreds of posts and typical guffaws from teh usual suspects.

Wonder why that is? [/b][/quote]
    LOL

We are cynics and extermely negative here Scott.

We focus on the negative before the positive every time here.

It comes with the territory, We are Jet fans and we have been through alot of tough times.

[quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 01:47 PM
    [b] Odd: "whispers" when they center around possible doltish moves by the front office generally draw hundreds of posts and typical guffaws from teh usual suspects.

Yea why is that? :rolleyes:

My favorite part was

"We hear the Ravens expected to lose Henderson or DL coach Rex Ryan to a coordinator’s job but did not want to lose both coaches. The Raiders reportedly had interest in interviewing Ryan, but head coach Brian Billick indicated he will not let any other assistants leave."

Remember people decided that the ONLY reason the Ravens let him leave was because he sucked and that's why they denied permission for Rex Ryan to interview. This is what I tried explaining but the usual hardheads don't like seeing things from a different perspective.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Jetlag+Feb 4 2004, 06:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jetlag @ Feb 4 2004, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 01:47 PM

Yea why is that? :rolleyes:

My favorite part was

"We hear the Ravens expected to lose Henderson or DL coach Rex Ryan to a coordinator’s job but did not want to lose both coaches. The Raiders reportedly had interest in interviewing Ryan, but head coach Brian Billick indicated he will not let any other assistants leave."

Remember people decided that the ONLY reason the Ravens let him leave was because he sucked and that&#39;s why they denied permission for Rex Ryan to interview. This is what I tried explaining but the usual hardheads don&#39;t like seeing things from a different perspective. [/b][/quote]
    LOL very true Jetlag.

The funny thing is that it shows the cynics perspective on things. It&#39;s the old half full, half empty theory. That stuff holds true.

You can look at any situation and if you are intelligent enough, You can argue either side but the problem with alot of the cynics on this site is that They look to try and create the negative.

The Rex Ryan thing being a clear example of that.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Thanks for the link, Nuu.

BTW - you still slapping Miss America around? [img]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/html/emoticons/mad.gif[/img] I always hated that about you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Jetlag[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 01:23 PM
    [b]

Remember people decided that the ONLY reason the Ravens let him leave was because he sucked and that&#39;s why they denied permission for Rex Ryan to interview. This is what I tried explaining but the usual hardheads don&#39;t like seeing things from a different perspective. [/b][/quote]
    Ok Guys Fair enough BUT...While I totally agree with the Ravens
    decision on not wanting to lose BOTH Henderson and Rex Ryan&#33;
    Why didn&#39;t Herm interview him also?? That way maybe Rex blows
    Herms Sox off??And then Henderson gets the refusal if anyone
    wanted to upgrade him.. <_<

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by savage69+Feb 4 2004, 03:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (savage69 @ Feb 4 2004, 03:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jetlag[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 01:23 PM
    [b]

wanted to upgrade him.. <_< [/b][/quote]
    What do you know about Ryan as it relates to Henderson?

I think Ryan is less of an attractive option as he has not cut his teeth long enough.

REMEMBER, the chief complaint about the Henderson hire was the experience level. Well, he has more thatn Ryan.

Is there an explcit reason you are enamored with Ryan , Savage?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking+Feb 4 2004, 03:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Scott Dierking @ Feb 4 2004, 03:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>[quote]Originally posted by -savage69@Feb 4 2004, 03:18 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Jetlag[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 01:23 PM
    [b]

Remember people decided that the ONLY reason the Ravens let him leave was because he sucked and that&#39;s why they denied permission for Rex Ryan to interview.* This is what I tried explaining but the usual hardheads don&#39;t like seeing things from a different perspective. [/b][/quote]
    wanted to upgrade him.. <_< [/b][/quote]
    What do you know about Ryan as it relates to Henderson?

I think Ryan is less of an attractive option as he has not cut his teeth long enough.

REMEMBER, the chief complaint about the Henderson hire was the experience level. Well, he has more thatn Ryan.

Is there an explcit reason you are enamored with Ryan , Savage?[/b][/quote]
    Hmmm... So it&#39;s OK that Herm didn&#39;t have alot of Coaching experience
    but the Son of a former Defensive Coach Buddy Ryan doesn&#39;t even
    merit a look??Come to think of it wasn&#39;t Buddy Ryan on Weebs staff
    along with Chuck Knox and Walt Michaels in Supe 3?? I like the Fact
    that Tex was a Defensive Coaches Son Scott and why not a interview?
    Unless you were thinking that just because I said Herm would only hire
    a Minority after Teddy got fired?? Was that what you meant Scott?? <_<

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Don&#39;t quite follow you there Savage-Am I to assume we should be hunting down Vince Lombardi&#39;s son&#39;s somewhere to coach??? :lol:

You seemed to infer that Ryan should have been interviewed also. I am wondering if this is based upon the "more the merrier" scenario or if you hacve concrete evidence supporting his experience and schemes to be better than Henderson&#39;s.

My take is that the NFL inner circle has a better idea than us on this, but I will give you the benefit. What does Ryan bring that Hendu doesn&#39;t? Aside from being a direct relative of Weeb&#39;s staff.

Not trying to bust balls, rather, just understand where you are coming from.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Scott Dierking[/i]@Feb 4 2004, 04:14 PM
    [b] of Don&#39;t quite follow you there Savage-Am I to assume we should be hunting down Vince Lombardi&#39;s son&#39;s somewhere to coach??? :lol:

You seemed to infer that Ryan should have been interviewed also. I am wondering if this is based upon the "more the merrier" scenario or if you hacve concrete evidence supporting his experience and schemes to be better than Henderson&#39;s.

My take is that the NFL inner circle has a better idea than us on this, but I will give you the benefit. What does Ryan bring that Hendu doesn&#39;t? Aside from being a direct relative of Weeb&#39;s staff.

Not trying to bust balls, rather, just understand where you are coming from. [/b][/quote]
    Only If Vince&#39;s Son followed him into Football&#33; 3 of my favorite all time
    Defense&#39;s from the 80&#39;s on were the Bears of 85,the Giants of 86 and
    the Ravens of 2000&#33; And guess what name had something to do with 2
    of them..Also in the College ranks OSU ain&#39;t to shappy either&#33; Here&#39;s what
    I mean..

Football&#39;s 46 Defense: The Base Plan, Rex Ryan

This defensive football training videos partial list of topics covered: playing the reach block, holding the jump through, zero technique, the 2 gap technique, linebacker key, keying the counter, and much more. This football coaching video is presented by Rex Ryan, son of legendary NFL coach Buddy Ryan. Rex created a top ten defense nationally at Oklahoma after he installed the "46" defense orginally devised by his father when he was with the Chicago Bears. Rex Ryan has been defensive coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals of the NFL and the Cincinnati Bearcats collegiate entry. His defensive acumen was in large part responsible for the Baltimore Ravens winning Super Bowl XXXV."Football&#39;s 46 Defense: The Base Plan" was produced by Coaches Choice in 1998 and runs 56 minutes.