Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Reminder: Real Time with Bill Maher is on tonite

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_link]http://www.hbo.com[/url]

This week's guests on Real Time with Bill Maher include actor Rob Schneider, former US Senator Carol Mosley Braun and journalist Andrew Sullivan. Joining via satellite will be author Ron Suskind and Governor of Michigan Jennifer Granholm. Real Time with Bill Maher is broadcast live without a net on Fridays at 8:00PM ET (8:00PM PT, tape delay), followed by a taped replay at 11:30PM (ET/PT)!

:D

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Maher may be the funniest guy on TV.

That show is outstanding. I loved the "Kobe Teeth" bits the last two weeks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's truly hilarious. I like his HBO show a lot better than I liked his ABC show. I think he's become more 'equal-opportunity' - he'll pick on both sides of the political spectrum now it seems.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url=http://www.hbo.com]http://www.hbo.com[/url]

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER
    8 pm and 11:30 pm Friday

Tonight's guests - Rep. Heather Wilson, Former Ret. Texas Army National Guard Lt. Col. Bill Burkett, James Moore - author of Bush's War For Reelection, actor Jason Alexander, actor Billy Baldwin and The Washingion Times' Deborah Simmons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maher should consider adding some "Bush is stupid" jokes to his show. I think that would give it some nice variety from the other, wide-ranging jokes he&#39;s always doing. <_<

Maybe he should insult our military again and talk about how he masturbates right before he goes in live TV. I can&#39;t get enough of his piercing wit....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Maher is a tool.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Feb 13 2004, 02:52 PM
    [b] Maher should consider adding some "Bush is stupid" jokes to his show. I think that would give it some nice variety from the other, wide-ranging jokes he&#39;s always doing. <_<

Maybe he should insult our military again and talk about how he masturbates right before he goes in live TV. I can&#39;t get enough of his piercing wit.... [/b][/quote]
    Have you guys watched him this year?

He&#39;s actually become more even-handed in making fun of both sides of the political spectrum.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brooklyn -

Yes, I have. He makes about 150 "Bush is stupid" jokes and the audience claps lovingly after each one. It gets old, IMO.

In this case, even-handed means 90-10 in favor of the Dems. Not that there&#39;s anything wrong with it. But I just don&#39;t find it funny. I fully admit that it is because I completely disagree with his viewpoints. But still, I don&#39;t enjoy watching it.

Dave Chappelle is liberal, but I like watching his show. I can appreciate liberal humor, but ultra-liberal and constant, unrelenting Bush-bashing gets old. Maher could literally just make a stupid face and say, &#39;Duh, I&#39;m George Bush, ha ha ha ha" like a child and the crowd would erupt. It&#39;s like shooting fish in a barrel.

I saw the one where he had Belzer and David Frum on. I saw one with Alec Baldwin. I do like Andrew Sullivan and all and may watch snippets. But I can&#39;t make it through an entire episode of Maher. He&#39;s so impressed with himself and he tries to make jokes that are jokes but also deep insights (in his mind) that are largely just far-left cliches. The incessant claps of approval after every single liberal platitude that ANYONE utters on that show get old quick.

"Conservatives hate women&#33;" The crowd erupts with applause, Maher blinks slowly and nods his head, not wanting to de-tract from the wieght of the hidden truth that he has humourously uncovered. "They only hate them when they&#39;re not barefoot and pregnant&#33;" - some actor on the panel chimes in. Further eruption of the crowd, Maher laughs at first and then gets serious and addressed the token conservative, "Seriously, why do conservatives not want woment to make their own decisions regarding their medical treatment?" It&#39;s a joke.

People need entertainers that essentially preach to the choir. Conservatives have Rush and Coulter, who, even though they are equally as absurd, at least are funny in their way...which is probably what Maher&#39;s appeal is to liberals. I just don&#39;t particularly care for it...to be honest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [b]5ever[/b] i have an honest question for you ...

would you honestly characterize Bush as "smart?"

for example i was a clinton supporter but was honest enough that i would never characterize him as "moral" or "honest"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by bitonti[/i]@Feb 13 2004, 05:29 PM
    [b] [b]5ever[/b] i have an honest question for you ...

would you honestly characterize Bush as "smart?"

for example i was a clinton supporter but was honest enough that i would never characterize him as "moral" or "honest" [/b][/quote]
    I am honest enough to admit Clinton was smart, and I dont think Bush is that smart,,,BUT............

do you think Bush is moral and honest?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do think Bush is smart, yes. Misspeaking, espacially public speaking, in my mind, is not evidence of a lack of intelligence. I think it is &#39;stupid&#39; to assume so.

Do I think he&#39;s brilliant? Probably not, no. But I don&#39;t think he is dim, if that is what you are asking. He has good judgment, IMO. That is a form of intelligence, one that is more important than "book smarts" in my opinion. I think Bush is HIGHLY street-smart, for lack of a better phrase. Bush "gets it." he sees things how they actually are and is decisive and confident in himself. That confidence has usually translated into success, especially in his brief political career.

I think Bill Clinton is smarter, sure. I think Bill Clinton is a brilliant man, actually. He&#39;s smarter than most people, I would imagine.

I also think Dan Quayle was smart and that Ronald Reagan was smart. The "conservatives as dumb" line is a tired cliche, IMO. Dan Quayle was obviously not dumb, but that didn&#39;t stop the attacks, initially because of his youthful appearance. The "Quayle as idiot" perception was out there long before "P-O-T-A-T-O-E" and that simple spelling mistakes was blown so far out of proportion as to be ludicrous, especially since there IS an E in the plural form of that noun. Dean thinks there is still a "Soviet Union" but do you hear any &#39;Dean is dumb" remarks? Al Gore got "E pluribus Unum" reversed and got horroble grades and failed out of a shool, but was he "dumb?"

I also think Bush is an honest, decent and sincere man. I think Al Gore is a decent man, even honest in his way. It&#39;s impossible for a professional politician to seem 100% sincere. They almost HAVE to contradict earlier statements, it&#39;s almost impossible not to. But I do think Gore is a decent person and wasn&#39;t revolted by him the way others were.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by southernjet[/i]@Feb 13 2004, 05:35 PM
    [b] do you think Bush is moral and honest? [/b][/quote]
    i know he is honest and moral. this whole "bush lies" or "bush is a bastard" is way overblown...

the problem comes when he is honest and moral to [b]what he knows[/b]

for example when cheney and wolfy fill his head with foolish ideas about pre-emptive national security and how its such a slam dunk then when he acts he feels like he is acting with complete moral clarity - and he is...

he is a man of character to be sure... but what he is not is a man surrounded by a quality staff. to use a sorta out there metaphor if i think that killing children is morally upright and i kill a bunch of children i wasn&#39;t being untrue to my morals... it was my initial moral scale that was way out of skew.

oh and RE: intelligence i think Bush is emotionally smart enough to work a room and has enough common sense to hide a cheat sheet in his sleeve for an exam... but definately not what you would call a "smart" person by any stretch. an IQ test of George Bush would be lucky to break 100.

its one thing to misspeak its another thing to do it every chance you get and make up s**t like "peeance freeance" - that&#39;s a special kind of stupid

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean one of the farthest left wings on tv don`t you ,