Thread: What is it with the Yanks and Phils castoffs?

Lee was even more insufferable than Houston in their respective brief tours through the hell that is The Vet. That said, he's probably a defensive upgrade at 1B.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Jet Set Junta@Feb 12 2004, 02:54 PM
    Lee was even more insufferable than Houston in their respective brief tours through the hell that is The Vet. That said, he's probably a defensive upgrade at 1B.
    Did the Yankees sign him?

Lee overplayed his hand big time. But he is a good defensive 1B. And would provide great insurance in case of a Giambi injury.

All League
    Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 12 2004, 04:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Feb 12 2004, 04:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jet Set Junta@Feb 12 2004, 02:54 PM
    Lee was even more insufferable than Houston in their respective brief tours through the hell that is The Vet. That said, he&#39;s probably a defensive upgrade at 1B.
    Did the Yankees sign him?

Lee overplayed his hand big time. [/b][/quote]
    Well, of course- his agent is Boras.

Travis Lee has always had expections that have exceeded his actual production. He&#39;s a player that definitely suffers from a lack of power at first base, and has never quite turned into the .300 plus hitter that was expected of him, when he left Minnesota (before playing a game) and signed the mega-deal with Arizona as an expansion team.

Terrific defensive first baseman, however.....Has been dogged by rumors that he&#39;s a "slacker", that doesn&#39;t do what it takes to get better...basically wasted talent, some suggest.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Feb 13 2004, 03:49 AM
    Travis Lee has always had expections that have exceeded his actual production. He&#39;s a player that definitely suffers from a lack of power at first base, and has never quite turned into the .300 plus hitter that was expected of him, when he left Minnesota (before playing a game) and signed the mega-deal with Arizona as an expansion team.

Terrific defensive first baseman, however.....Has been dogged by rumors that he&#39;s a "slacker", that doesn&#39;t do what it takes to get better...basically wasted talent, some suggest.
    Riggins I agree that he is not a SuperStar. That being said he would have to be considered an awesome backup 1st baseman.

Boras is getting what he deserves this offseason. Couldn&#39;t have happened to a nicer guy.

Max, the reason he would make an awesome backup, which is I believe to be true, is due to the fact that he&#39;s a borderline starter.

I always used to think of Arizona OF Luis Gonzalez as a "third and a half" outfielder. In other words, he was too good to be 4th or 5th outfielder, but kind a deficient as a 3rd.

Obviously, when he got to Arizona, that all changed, as I think he even won a league MVP. Gonzo was also about 32 or 33, when he started turning the corner.

Lee, I believe, might be similar. Right now, he just hasn&#39;t shown enough to get the attention of teams on a large scale as a definite starter, but the ability is there. The fact that teams are shunning him, may help him get focused. For the first time ever, Lee&#39;s reputation as the "next Mark Grace", isn&#39;t helping him land a spot. It&#39;s time for him to produce.

Specific to the Yankees, considering all the injuries, he would probably be a slightly better alternative at 1B than Tony Clark, who seems to strike-out too much and not hit for a high enough average.

Yankee fans should welcome the addition of Travis Lee, but not expect too much from him right off the bat, perhaps.

Maxman
    Have the Yankees officially signed him? He would be welcomed because he brings a good glove to the team. They will have to do a roving DH this year (Bernie, Giambi) so the backup 1B will see lots of PT.

I think it is a real good fit. I also like seeing Boras getting boned. He deserves it. Ever since Boras had JD Drew threaten to renounce his citizenship (so he would be subject to the amateur draft) I had no respect for that man. I am all for making as much money as you can but that is like spitting on all the combat veterans in this country. A disgrace.

Anyhow about Luis Gonzalez...I agree with your assessment. I am curious though if steroids helped him turn the corner.