Thread: ABC News Admits Liberal Bias

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

ABC News' Political Unit admitted on Tuesday what any conscious human not born and raised in a cave has known since Adam:

The major media has a liberal bias.

Here's the relevant excerpt, and [url=http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/TheNote/TheNote_Feb1004.html]the link.[/url]

[quote][b]

From [url]www.abcnews.com[/url], "The Note: ABC News Political Unit"
    Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Like every other institution, the Washington and political press corps operate with a good number of biases and predilections.

They include, but are not limited to, a near-universal shared sense that liberal political positions on social issues like gun control, homosexuality, abortion, and religion are the default, while more conservative positions are "conservative positions."

They include a belief that government is a mechanism to solve the nation's problems; that more taxes on corporations and the wealthy are good ways to cut the deficit and raise money for social spending and don't have a negative affect on economic growth; and that emotional examples of suffering (provided by unions or consumer groups) are good ways to illustrate economic statistic stories.

More systematically, the press believes that fluid narratives in coverage are better than static storylines; that new things are more interesting than old things; that close races are preferable to loose ones; and that incumbents are destined for dethroning, somehow.

The press, by and large, does not accept President Bush's justifications for the Iraq war -- in any of its WMD, imminent threat, or evil-doer formulations. It does not understand how educated, sensible people could possibly be wary of multilateral institutions or friendly, sophisticated European allies.

It does not accept the proposition that the Bush tax cuts helped the economy by stimulating summer spending.

It remains fixated on the unemployment rate.

It believes President Bush is "walking a fine line" with regards to the gay marriage issue, choosing between "tolerance" and his "right-wing base."

It still has a hard time understanding how, despite the drumbeat of conservative grass-top complaints about overspending and deficits, President Bush's base remains extremely and loyally devoted to him -- and it looks for every opportunity to find cracks in that base.

Of course, the swirling Joe Wilson and National Guard stories play right to the press's scandal bias -- not to mention the bias towards process stories (grand juries produce ENDLESS process!).

The worldview of the dominant media can be seen in every frame of video and every print word choice that is currently being produced about the presidential race.

That means the President's communications advisers have a choice:

Try to change the storyline and the press' attitude, or try to win this election without changing them.
    [/b][/quote]

All League
    Charter JI Member

You're characterizing an op-ed piece as the official position of ABC News?

C'mon, Shakin. You're smarter than that. Some of your con brothers, on the other hand...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by Bob the Jets Fan™[/i]@Feb 13 2004, 12:45 AM
    [b] You're characterizing an op-ed piece as the official position of ABC News?

C'mon, Shakin. You're smarter than that. Some of your con brothers, on the other hand... [/b][/quote]
    Come on Bob, is the "ABC Political Unit" an amorphous, faceless entity, or is it the thoughts and reporting of the people therein?

Stories aren't generated by computer, man. Someone sits at the keyboard. And that writer, whom ABC News sees fit to put his thoughts and opinions out there for the public to see under the ABC News banner, points out the obvious about the "Washington and political press corps" -- not just op-ed columnists.

All League
    Charter JI Member

The Political Unit is a collection of commentators (their names are at the top of the article) who are hired to do what commentators do - comment.

They are not the writers, producers and reporters of ABC News.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Bob, I understand the role of political commentators. I also understand that any news-reporting entity is nothing more than a like-minded collection of less-than objective human beings, assembled as a team not by random chance.

But whatever.

This guy states the obvious. For chrissakes Bob, look at the headlines on their politics page. Here they are in a nutshell:

[b]Bush Popularity Hits New Low

Kerry at the Reins

Kay Says Bush Slowing Intelligence Reform

No Dixie Blues: John Kerry solidifies his lead as the Democratic front-runner

Bush Acknowledges Jobs Going Overseas

9/11 Panel to Seek Testimony From Bush

Dentist Doesn't Remember Treating Bush

Bush Campaign Launches Anti-Kerry Video

Kerry's Key Endorsement Changes Presidential Race

Poll: Electability Boosts Kerry

[/b]

Give me a break. That's not obviously slanted?

Dedicate a story to a dentist who doesn't remember treating a patient 30 YEARS AGO?...Yet don't even mention today's statement from Col. William Campenni (retired) U.S. Air Force/Air National Guard, who says he served with Bush during the time in question -- even after the Dems have been wailing for someone to show up who remembers serving with Bush? GIVE ME A BREAK.

No mention of the potential bombshell from the Drudge report...yeah, KUDOS to ABC News and the rest of them for showing such professional restraint and ethics by choosing not to even mention a story that is not yet thoroughly vetted yet the white-hot topic across the non-traditional media as well as radio...the same courtesy they always extend to conservatives and Republicans (insert exteme sarcasm here)

Bottom line: Do you dispute what the ABC News writer wrote?

All League
    [quote][b]Give me a break. That's not obviously slanted?

Mention a dentist who doesn't remember treating a patient 30 YEARS AGO?...Yet no mention of today's statement from Col. William Campenni (retired) U.S. Air Force/Air National Guard, who says he served with Bush during the time in question -- even after the Dems have been wailing for someone to show up who remembers serving with Bush? GIVE ME A BREAK.

No mention of the potential bombshell from the Drudge report...yeah, KUDOS to ABC News and the rest of them for showing such professional restraint and ethics by choosing not to even mention a story that is not yet thoroughly vetted...the same courtesy they always extend to conservatives and Republicans (insert exteme sarcasm here)

Bottom line: Do you dispute what the ABC News writer wrote? [/b][/quote]

Maybe they will become fair and balanced like Fox News once Comcast buys out Disney.

BTW. Did you see Campenni on Fox News the other night? The guy was a redneck Texan who couldn't get his own story straight. He never said that he served w/ Bush in Alabama, all he said was that the pay records prove he must have.

Hall Of Fame
    You're allowed to say "redneck?" That's not very open-minded or tolerant of you, Section. That is a hurtful, racist stereotype. I guess what is good for the goose is only sometimes good for the gander....

All Pro
    My lack of intelligence prevents me from making comments that Wes Clark must be a genius because he was Supreme Allied Commander of NATO, yet former Governor of Texas, owner of a Yale MBA, pilot of an F-102 fighter jet and current President of the USA is intellectually challenged.

My lack of intelligence prevents me from understanding why Vietnam service is so important in a presidential resume for just this election cycle.

My lack of intelligence must be why I perceive a Haliburton/Cheney connection less dangerous to my family than a saddam/islamic jihad or hamas or al queda connection.

My lack of intelligence is why I can't understand that a guy that voted against almost every major US weapons system in use is more qualified to protect the country I live in.

My lack of intelligence prevents me from understanding the freeding frenzy at the White House daily briefing on Tuesday when none was exhibited the day after the famous "I did not have sex with that woman" speech.

My lack of intelligence makes me happy to receive a $1000 tax credit for each of my children when I should be mad as hell that Donald Trump is still rich.

My lack of intelligence is what must be impeding the rationale that drilling for oil in Alaska will make us less dependant of foreign oil and create American jobs -- a good thing.

Yes folks, I'm conservative, therefore I must be dumb.

Hall Of Fame
    Weeb - great post.

For the record, Bush's undergrad degree is from Yale, his MBA is actually from Harvard Business School.

But, again, that matters little because of who Bush's daddy is. Only guys like Gore, who also had a very powerful father and poor grades, get credit for being intelligent because of having gone to Harvard. (Gore, not Dubya, actually failed out of a school, but that is an irrelevant "wedge issue.")

Bush's dental record from 30 years ago is an "important" issue, Kerry's voting record in the Senate is a "wedge" issue. Try to keep up, dude.

All League
    Don't forget Bush traded away Sammy Sosa. He should have know he was going to roid it up and cork his bat.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[quote][i]Originally posted by jets5ever[/i]@Feb 13 2004, 11:27 AM
    [b] But, again, that matters little because of who Bush's daddy is. Only guys like Gore, who also had a very powerful father and poor grades, get credit for being intelligent because of having gone to Harvard. (Gore, not Dubya, actually failed out of a school, but that is an irrelevant "wedge issue.")

[/b][/quote]
    A very powerful father who was a racist mind you...

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

ABC LIBERAL, NOW THERE`S BREAKING NEWS....LOL

Hall Of Fame
    A slight recurring problem for liberals...FACTS. Bush's grandfather, Republican Senator Prescott Bush of Connecticut, pushed for civil rights legislation as did many Republicans. So much so that Jackie Robinson endorsed Richard Nixon over JFK (to be fair, a decent president) in 1960. Meanwhile, Gore's dad, Senator Al Gore Sr, of Tennessee and Clinton's mentor, Senator William Fulbright of Arkansas, were dyed-in-wool segregationist Democrats.