Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Best hockey fight ever...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

At least in Red Wing history.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    During the tail end of the 1980's and the 1990's I was a rabid Hartford Whalers fan.

Best fight ever, weeks before the jackals decided to move the franchise: Keith Primeau vs. Wayne Primeau.......Little bro Wayne (goon), bumps Whalers goalie Sean Burke. Within seconds seconds, more talented and bigger Keith Primeau is punching away :o :lol:

Also, it happened before the reviled (In Hartford at least) Brendan Shanahan ever played for the Whalers, but upon his return trip to New Jersey, after signing with the Blues, Shannahan get's his a$$ totally kicked by tougher, older Ken Daneyko at the end of a game.

Appearently, the Devils figured out he was a quitter early on. He never wanted to help make lesser teams better, so he always forced his way to better teams in trades <_<

Real cool on Daneyko&#39;s part

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Feb 13 2004, 03:04 AM
    During the tail end of the 1980&#39;s and the 1990&#39;s I was a rabid Hartford Whalers fan.

Best fight ever, weeks before the jackals decided to move the franchise: Keith Primeau vs. Wayne Primeau.......Little bro Wayne (goon), bumps Whalers goalie Sean Burke. Within seconds seconds, more talented and bigger Keith Primeau is punching away :o :lol:

Also, it happened before the reviled (In Hartford at least) Brendan Shanahan ever played for the Whalers, but upon his return trip to New Jersey, after signing with the Blues, Shannahan get&#39;s his a&#036;&#036; totally kicked by tougher, older Ken Daneyko at the end of a game.

Appearently, the Devils figured out he was a quitter early on. He never wanted to help make lesser teams better, so he always forced his way to better teams in trades <_<

Real cool on Daneyko&#39;s part
    Wait.....didn&#39;t the Whalers trade Brendan to Detroit for K. Primeau?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the ship was sinking and most felt Brendan was a coward for wanting out. Afterall, players like Sean Burke, Geoff Sanderson (rising star at the time), Glen Wesley and others all decided, whatever was going to happen was going to happen and they publicly stated they would never ask for trade while under contract.

Shanahan, who was dubbed "selfish" in Jersey (which led to the Daneyko ass kicking), not only demanded a trade in 1996, he refused to accept the role of Whalers captain. It was, afterall, a decent team at that point and played to over 95% capacity (attendence wise) at that point.

He was traded for Primeau, and Primeau never complained and played as hard as a freak. Keith spent one season in Hartford, but he&#39;s still loved by the most avid Whalers fans.

Shanahan&#39;s a terrific player, but he&#39;s always run from tough situation&#39;s to better ones. Not exactly the type that works to make decent teams better.

P.S: The Shanahan fight happen in 1991 or 1992; Primeau vs. Primeau happened in 1997--neither has anything to do with the other--except both Whalers realeted, sort of <_<

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Whalers moving out was another black eye for hockey. I miss the likes of the Hartford Whalers, the Winnipeg -Jets-, and even (gulp) the Nordiques. Bettman&#39;s push to the south has really paying off, a combined &#036;273 million in losses last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. The thing that bothered me, was Bettman conspired to get Hartford out of the league due to "market size", but sent the team to an even smaller market in Raleigh <_<

Bettman is the worst commish in sports. When markets like Hartford play to 95% capacity during their final 3 year span up north, and help produce players like Brian Leetch, Jeremy Roenick, Bill Guerin, Craig Janney, Chris Drury and many, many more, it is purely upsurd to want want wipe a team like that out for the sake "geographic diversity".

I&#39;ll never buy Hartford couldn&#39;t support a team. It&#39;s a bigger market than about 10 other, current NHL markets--including Buffalo, Carolina, Nashville and Columbus.

What was Hartford&#39;s crime in Betteman&#39;s eye? The market is between New York and Boston, so Bettman (incorrectly) figured the Whalers fans would just run to the Bruins or Rangers once the team left. That didn&#39;t happen, with most fans. I hate the Bruins and am indiffrent to the NY teams....All he did was lose avid fans he won&#39;t be able to get back in the south.

Betteman is a clown. The one good thing about the Whalers moving, is fans essentially get to keep more of their hard earned money, instead of having to deal with the insane NHL ticket prices these days.

Many Rangers tickets go for well over a &#036;100 a piece these days. Who&#39;s the real loser in the end, Whalers fans with no teams, or Ranger fans getting raped to watch dump and chase hockey?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Troy Crowder blast Bob Propbert in "the rematch" at the Meadowlands, officially becoming the "man" at the time.

That dude kicked everybody&#39;s ass until...Roy Ray or Brad May or something took him off the pedestal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Riggins44@Feb 13 2004, 02:19 PM
    I agree. The thing that bothered me, was Bettman conspired to get Hartford out of the league due to "market size", but sent the team to an even smaller market in Raleigh <_<

Bettman is the worst commish in sports. When markets like Hartford play to 95% capacity during their final 3 year span up north, and help produce players like Brian Leetch, Jeremy Roenick, Bill Guerin, Craig Janney, Chris Drury and many, many more, it is purely upsurd to want want wipe a team like that out for the sake "geographic diversity".

I&#39;ll never buy Hartford couldn&#39;t support a team. It&#39;s a bigger market than about 10 other, current NHL markets--including Buffalo, Carolina, Nashville and Columbus.

What was Hartford&#39;s crime in Betteman&#39;s eye? The market is between New York and Boston, so Bettman (incorrectly) figured the Whalers fans would just run to the Bruins or Rangers once the team left. That didn&#39;t happen, with most fans. I hate the Bruins and am indiffrent to the NY teams....All he did was lose avid fans he won&#39;t be able to get back in the south.

Betteman is a clown. The one good thing about the Whalers moving, is fans essentially get to keep more of their hard earned money, instead of having to deal with the insane NHL ticket prices these days.

Many Rangers tickets go for well over a &#036;100 a piece these days. Who&#39;s the real loser in the end, Whalers fans with no teams, or Ranger fans getting raped to watch dump and chase hockey?
    Bettman is a true assclown and has been a disaster as commisioner. I don&#39;t care what people say, he has done nothing for the league. His push to &#39;increase hockey&#39;s national visibility&#39; through tv contracts and new franchises has been a diaster. He thought he could compete on the same level as the NFL or MLB....not even close. Hockey has always been the stepchild in the US, but even though it has a smaller fan base, it is a fan base like no other.

Teams like Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec had them. Carolina, Atlanta, Phoenix do not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about fights..............

The "No-Check" adult league that I am in is anything but. Tonight was another night of fights, very peculiar since we are in a no fight league. Tonight was no different. 2 fights, 4 ejections. Game misconducts everywhere. Hell, even the crowd, well ok 8 spectators, got kicked out for running their mouths. Good wholesome entertainment.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The series of fights Terry O&#39;Reilly and Clark Gillies had in a playoff game in the late 70s/eary 80s were the best. 2 huge guys wailing each other unt l after the 3rd time, O&#39;reilly just gave out.

I also remember Gillies breaking Ed Hospodar&#39;s jaw in the Rangers/Isles game in the early 80s. I was in the blue seats, and you could hear the "crack" everywhere. It was 18,000 people going "ew" all at once.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bugg@Feb 16 2004, 12:07 PM
    The series of fights Terry O&#39;Reilly and Clark Gillies had in a playoff game in the late 70s/eary 80s were the best. 2 huge guys wailing each other unt l after the 3rd time, O&#39;reilly just gave out.

I also remember Gillies breaking Ed Hospodar&#39;s jaw in the Rangers/Isles game in the early 80s. I was in the blue seats, and you could hear the "crack" everywhere. It was 18,000 people going "ew" all at once.
    Jethro was the man. No one better to ride shotgun for Bossy & Trots than him.