Thread: Greg Maddux

All League
    Is anybody as surprised as I am that Greg Maddux still has not signed with any team. He has been so consistent his whole career.
    With every team just about needing starters this to me a big surprise that he has not signed yet.
    The Cubs were supposedly the most likely place but I have not heard anything lately

Maxman
    Originally posted by faba@Feb 13 2004, 02:31 PM
    Is anybody as surprised as I am that Greg Maddux still has not signed with any team. He has been so consistent his whole career.
    With every team just about needing starters this to me a big surprise that he has not signed yet.
    The Cubs were supposedly the most likely place but I have not heard anything lately
    2 Words: Scott Boras

All Pro
    Originally posted by faba@Feb 13 2004, 02:31 PM
    Maybe he'll follow Pudge and sign with Detroit

All League
    Scott Boras overestimated Maddux's market value is the only explanation I have that no one has signed Maddux

All Pro
    Who's value does Boras not overestimate? The man got A-Rod a 252 million dolalr contract. Nobody else is even close to that kind of money now.

I hate Greg Maddux...Remember in 95 when he was a free agent he said"why would i want to go to NY?...i wanna go somewhere that will content for a title....."

Well F**K him...That feels better

Maddux

Free agent Greg Maddux has rejected a multi-year offer from the Giants, and is expected to decide Sunday or Monday where he will sign, a source told the Contra Costa Times on Saturday

However, Maddux said recently he is in no hurry to make a decision.

"I'd like to get something done, make my decision, by the middle of next week, since most camps are opening," Maddux told the (Arlington Heights, Ill.) Daily Herald on Thursday night. "But even if it's a few days after that, or even a week after that, I don't see it as a big deal. Spring training is two weeks too long as it is. I've done my work all winter. I think after 20 years in pro ball I know how to get myself ready for a season."

Agent Scott Boras contacted the Giants on Thursday night, and after the team made an offer, it was summarily rejected.

The Cubs reportedly have made a two-year offer between $10 million and $12 million, and the two sides are believed to be still negotiating, according to the Times. The Cardinals, among others, are also in the mix for future Hall of Fame right-hander who is 11 wins short of 300.

Maddux said last year that he enjoyed pitching at Pacific Bell Park (now SBC Park) and that the Giants would be one of the teams he'd be interested in signing with if he did not return to the Braves. The pitcher also has a long-standing relationship with Giants assistant general manager Ned Colletti.

Maddux, 36, may take less money to sign with a winning team such as the Giants, but how much less is unknown, the source told the newspaper. Maddux was 16-11 last season, but his ERA of 3.96 was his highest since 1987, his second year in the majors.