Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod trade to the Yankees

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pretty much hate the Yankees, being a Mets fan myself.

But seeing Red Sox fans in agony is even better.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! No comments by any of our New England "friends" on this thread - how surprising!

BRING ON BASEBALL SEASON! WHOOOOOO!

Wait..... what's that I hear from Red Sux fans????

Ahhh, sweet silence.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PavlovsDogs@Feb 14 2004, 05:42 PM
    Wow! No comments by any of our New England "friends" on this thread - how surprising!

BRING ON BASEBALL SEASON! WHOOOOOO!

Wait..... what's that I hear from Red Sux fans????

Ahhh, sweet silence.
    Typical Beantowner response!! :lol:

Lofton
    Jeter
    Arod
    Giambi
    Sheff
    Williams
    Posada
    Matsui
    Who Cares

What a fu*king lineup!!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Feb 14 2004, 05:40 PM
    First casualty reported in Boston
    LMAO.....

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Feb 14 2004, 05:46 PM

Lofton
    Jeter
    Arod
    Giambi
    Sheff
    Williams
    Posada
    Matsui
    Who Cares

What a fu*king lineup!!
    My god I actually forgot we have Sheffield and Lofton. Holy smokes what a lineup.

And as far as the Yankees starting rotation, don't fool yourselves Boston fans. Brown is still one of the best pitchers in the league when healthy(admittedly health will be a major concern). Vasquez is going to be a star. You guys think he is mediocre and will bust with the Yanks?? His record was 13-12 last years with the Expos. But keep in mind 7 of his 12 losses came in games where he allowed 2 runs or less. With the run support that the Yanks can give him, he is easily capable of being a 20 game winner. While you call him a bust, MLB people call him the next Pedro. Contreras started to throw some nasty stuff at the end of last season, especially in the playoffs. I expect big things from him.

Our rotation so far is gonna be:

Mussina
    K Brown
    J Vasquez
    J Contreras

Laugh all you want but that may be the best rotation in the league. BOS has a very good one as well which right now I will conceed is better than the Yanks at the moment. But it is only by a hair.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is the Boston pitching staff better than the Yankees?

Pedro is breaking down, Schilling is broken, the guy got ripped when he came back last year. Now he comes to the AL, no protection from the hitting pitcher in this league, the guy is fading in the way Cone did, and after Pedro and Schilling, who do they have? Who do they have in their bullpen?

Sorry.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boozer76+Feb 14 2004, 06:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Boozer76 @ Feb 14 2004, 06:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet@Feb 14 2004, 05:46 PM

Lofton
    Jeter
    Arod
    Giambi
    Sheff
    Williams
    Posada
    Matsui
    Who Cares

What a fu*king lineup&#33;&#33;
    My god I actually forgot we have Sheffield and Lofton. Holy smokes what a lineup.

[/b][/quote]
    If you are an opposing skipper, who do you intentionally walk in the Yankees lineup ?

This is 21st century version of the Big Red Machine...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boozer76@Feb 14 2004, 06:00 PM

Boozer i just had the same exact thought...HOLY SHEET&#33;&#33;&#33;

A-Rod
    Giambi
    Sheffield

The team is going to be scary...who are you going to pitch around?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    JonE, I never guaranteed anything.... I said I thought that the deal wasn&#39;t completely dead.

In regards to this: as a baseball fan, as a red sox fan, this makes me sick to my stomach. That the Yankees can respond to Boones injury by going out and acquiring the best position player in baseball to play out of position sickens and disgusts me.

Money, money, and more money. It hurts as a Red Sox fan to watch my team go into the offseason and make just about all the right moves, not biting on bad deals (the absurd A-Rod for Manny+ a lot of &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036, signing one of the best closers out there, trading for a Cy-Young caliber pitcher, resigning Trot Nixon, getting Burks for bench offense.....

And the Yankees manage to stay a step ahead by acquiring players who other teams can&#39;t afford (A-Rod, Vasquez, Brown.... I&#39;m not talking free agents, I&#39;m talking guys under contract).

It&#39;s like running uphill... It&#39;s a Sysiphian task. And it&#39;s not fair, it&#39;s not right. You can say that it&#39;s not about fairness, but the NFL has gone to the trouble of ensuring fairness and is better off for it. It is a shame and a disgrace.

And the asinine thing is that the same people who obviously understand that if the Patriots cap number was 75% greater than anyone else in the league, it would be unfair, anti-competitive, and a travesty for the sport, these same people revel and take joy in the de facto cap in baseball thats different for each team. They argue that the Marlins and Angels win..... again to compare to football, if I give the Pats a bigger cap than everyone else, they won&#39;t win every year, but they&#39;ll have a competitive advantage.

Obviously the Sox benfit from this too, being one of the upper tier teams, but they are still so far below the Yankees that there is a competitive imbalance between the two teams. As a Sox fan I&#39;m honest enough to say that there should be a cap in baseball, one most or all teams can meet, even if that means it&#39;s harder for the Sox and easier for the Tigers.

Most Yankees fans however remain gleeful frontrunners and bandwagoners who enjoy their bully status and dissemble whenever confronted with the inequities of the situation.

This deal, even the idea of it, let alone if it should actually happen, makes me sick at heart, and makes me question why I am a baseball fan. It is a shameful, shabby, sorry deal. It is a sad day for baseball when the Yankees go out and acquire A-Rod to play thrid base just because they can.

Anyone who would compare this to the proposed Red Sox deal is off their rocker. I won&#39;t get into it now, but it&#39;s apples and oranges.

Pretty much the only saving grace is that they&#39;d be playing Jeter at short and A-Rod at third, which is like having Jim Rice play centerfield so that Willie Mays can DH. In a way though that&#39;s waht makes this even more disgusting and disappointing. The Yankees are acquiring A-Rod not because they need him, but just because they can.

If this trade goes through it will be a sad, sad, sad day for a sport that I love.

More than ever I believe that the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry has a moral element to it.

It&#39;s the beaten, abused kid from the wrong side of the tracks against the arrogant, daddys boy prep school kid. It&#39;s the underdog against the favorite. It&#39;s a city of loyal, faithful fans who have endured countless heartbreaks against the most arrogant, condescending, self-absorbed fan base in baseball.

It&#39;s a damn shame.

That&#39;s what I have to say on it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    JonE, I never guaranteed anything.... I said I thought that the deal wasn&#39;t completely dead.

In regards to this: as a baseball fan, as a red sox fan, this makes me sick to my stomach. That the Yankees can respond to Boones injury by going out and acquiring the best position player in baseball to play out of position sickens and disgusts me.

Money, money, and more money. It hurts as a Red Sox fan to watch my team go into the offseason and make just about all the right moves, not biting on bad deals (the absurd A-Rod for Manny+ a lot of &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036, signing one of the best closers out there, trading for a Cy-Young caliber pitcher, resigning Trot Nixon, getting Burks for bench offense.....

And the Yankees manage to stay a step ahead by acquiring players who other teams can&#39;t afford (A-Rod, Vasquez, Brown.... I&#39;m not talking free agents, I&#39;m talking guys under contract).

It&#39;s like running uphill... It&#39;s a Sysiphian task. And it&#39;s not fair, it&#39;s not right. You can say that it&#39;s not about fairness, but the NFL has gone to the trouble of ensuring fairness and is better off for it. It is a shame and a disgrace.

And the asinine thing is that the same people who obviously understand that if the Patriots cap number was 75% greater than anyone else in the league, it would be unfair, anti-competitive, and a travesty for the sport, these same people revel and take joy in the de facto cap in baseball thats different for each team. They argue that the Marlins and Angels win..... again to compare to football, if I give the Pats a bigger cap than everyone else, they won&#39;t win every year, but they&#39;ll have a competitive advantage.

Obviously the Sox benfit from this too, being one of the upper tier teams, but they are still so far below the Yankees that there is a competitive imbalance between the two teams. As a Sox fan I&#39;m honest enough to say that there should be a cap in baseball, one most or all teams can meet, even if that means it&#39;s harder for the Sox and easier for the Tigers.

Most Yankees fans however remain gleeful frontrunners and bandwagoners who enjoy their bully status and dissemble whenever confronted with the inequities of the situation.

This deal, even the idea of it, let alone if it should actually happen, makes me sick at heart, and makes me question why I am a baseball fan. It is a shameful, shabby, sorry deal. It is a sad day for baseball when the Yankees go out and acquire A-Rod to play thrid base just because they can.

Anyone who would compare this to the proposed Red Sox deal is off their rocker. I won&#39;t get into it now, but it&#39;s apples and oranges.

Pretty much the only saving grace is that they&#39;d be playing Jeter at short and A-Rod at third, which is like having Jim Rice play centerfield so that Willie Mays can DH. In a way though that&#39;s waht makes this even more disgusting and disappointing. The Yankees are acquiring A-Rod not because they need him, but just because they can.

If this trade goes through it will be a sad, sad, sad day for a sport that I love.

More than ever I believe that the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry has a moral element to it.

It&#39;s the beaten, abused kid from the wrong side of the tracks against the arrogant, daddys boy prep school kid. It&#39;s the underdog against the favorite. It&#39;s a city of loyal, faithful fans who have endured countless heartbreaks against the most arrogant, condescending, self-absorbed fan base in baseball.

It&#39;s a damn shame.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why cant the Jets get a "make-it-happen" GM like Brian Cashman???

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2004, 06:39 PM

Money, money, and more money. It hurts as a Red Sox fan to watch my team go into the offseason and make just about all the right moves, not biting on bad deals (the absurd A-Rod for Manny+ a lot of &#036;&#036;&#036;&#036,
    Pathetic RS. BOS thought they had a done deal ith ARod. They were ready to spend a ton of money on him. It was the Players union that vetoed the deal, not the Red Sox.

Hey RS, go into the BOS locker room and ask those players how they would feel about a salary cap. We&#39;ll see how quick they jump on the picket lines. Same goes for the lowly Tigers. You can place all the blame on the Yanks that you want. But the bottom line is it is the players that are the main reaon why there is no cap. They have the owners by the balls because they know that a strike would be devastating to baseball especially since they are just getting over the repercussions of the last strike.

Frontrunners and bandwagoners&#33;&#33;?? Most of us here have been Yankee fans since day 1. I became a Yankees fan when I was a little kid in the early 80&#39;s. Why?? Because they SUCKED ASS and I always have a tendency to root for the underdogs. No one had too much sympathy for them during that time. What are you proposing, the Yankees don&#39;t use all their resources to accomplish the goal that all MLB teams should be striving for?? The real travesty to basebll right now is there are owners out there who are not willing to spend any money to even try to field a winning team. They cut spending left and right and continually field crappy teams, even though they are plenty capable of fielding a competitive team.

Oh wahhh wahhh wahh . Get a grip on yourself. The bottom line is Yankee fans pay for the teams success one way or another whether it be ticket prices, concessions, the cost of Cable TV for the Yes network, on and on. Sure it is a big market and sure that gives us an edge, but if a city isn&#39;t even remotely capable of supporting a MLB team, then they don&#39;t deserve to have that team. It&#39;s the same idea with teams like the Devils, Nets, and even the Dolphins. These teams have been very competitive lately yet their local markets don&#39;t even sell out PLAYOFF GAMES&#33;&#33; That is why the 2 NJ teams left and why I think the Dolphins should leave MIA.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lines are already closed on next year&#39;s world series. The impact of this is HUGE&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pathetic RS. BOS thought they had a done deal ith ARod. They were ready to spend a ton of money on him. It was the Players union that vetoed the deal, not the Red Sox.
    Right. However the Red Sox could have done the deal anyway: it simply would have required giving Hicks money in addition to Manny. The good deal was vetoed by the PA, the bad deal was on the table.

Hey RS, go into the BOS locker room and ask those players how they would feel about a salary cap. We&#39;ll see how quick they jump on the picket lines. Same goes for the lowly Tigers. You can place all the blame on the Yanks that you want. But the bottom line is it is the players that are the main reaon why there is no cap. They have the owners by the balls because they know that a strike would be devastating to baseball especially since they are just getting over the repercussions of the last strike.
    I agree, the PA in baseball is too strong, and has its priorities ****ed up.

The Yankees aren&#39;t *responsible* for this system, they are the indication that it is a sh**ty system.

Frontrunners and bandwagoners&#33;&#33;?? Most of us here have been Yankee fans since day 1. I became a Yankees fan when I was a little kid in the early 80&#39;s. Why?? Because they SUCKED ASS and I always have a tendency to root for the underdogs. No one had too much sympathy for them during that time. What are you proposing, the Yankees don&#39;t use all their resources to accomplish the goal that all MLB teams should be striving for?? The real travesty to basebll right now is there are owners out there who are not willing to spend any money to even try to field a winning team. They cut spending left and right and continually field crappy teams, even though they are plenty capable of fielding a competitive team
    Theres plenty of bad owners, but even if every owner were straining to compete with the Yankees on an even playing field: they couldn&#39;t come close.

As to frontrunners and bandwagoners? I stand by it.

Oh wahhh wahhh wahh . Get a grip on yourself. The bottom line is Yankee fans pay for the teams success one way or another whether it be ticket prices, concessions, the cost of Cable TV for the Yes network, on and on. Sure it is a big market and sure that gives us an edge, but if a city isn&#39;t even remotely capable of supporting a MLB team, then they don&#39;t deserve to have that team. It&#39;s the same idea with teams like the Devils, Nets, and even the Dolphins. These teams have been very competitive lately yet their local markets don&#39;t even sell out PLAYOFF GAMES&#33;&#33; That is why the 2 NJ teams left and why I think the Dolphins should leave MIA.
    Hey genius, what&#39;s the most expensive ticket in the majors? ding ding ding: it&#39;s the Boston Red Sox. The Red Sox also sell out a higher %ge of their seats. Near perfect attendance actually. We sell out *devil rays* games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2004, 06:39 PM

It&#39;s a damn shame.

I&#39;m a Sox fan and all I can say is that it serves the Sox right. If you are going to make a move to beat the Yanks, then make the friggin move. They had Arod and blew it. Pay the extra money, get yourself a WS for once and everyone in the region will go ape**** for years.

George did this more to stick it up the Red Sox&#39;s ass then anything.

It really hurts being a Jets and Red Sox fan

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I&#39;m sorry for the personal attack at the end there RS. But I will say this. If the Detroit Tigers hypothetically went out and spent 200 mil per year on salary all of the sudden and proceeded to win the next 3 WS. The general concensus will be &#39;at least it wasn&#39;t the Yankees&#39;. The Yankees have been spending money like this for years, decades even. Only recently have they been winning. But before then, the Yanks stunk and not too many people made ay kind of stink about how much money the Yanks spent. Pretty much all was well with baseball.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    agree, the PA in baseball is too strong, and has its priorities ****ed up.

The Yankees aren&#39;t *responsible* for this system, they are the indication that it is a sh**ty system.
    So to make ever one feel better about how things are in baseball the Yankees should spend less money and try not to win???

The facts are the Redsox are doing the SAME things the yankees are doing to win games....we just do it better and to a much larger volume.

Jealousy is UGLY.....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is really why Baseball blows and the Majors need a salary cap.

Its not even the most popular sport and every player is getting paid a ridiculous amount.

The METS are going to suck for a long time,

their rotation is the worst in the league, the bullpen sucks, and Piazza and Floydd are always hurt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another example of all that is wrong in baseball...

I hope the Yanks fall flat on their faces this year.