Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod trade to the Yankees

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At first I was disturbed and sickened to hear the Yankees are getting A-Rod.
    But now I'm happy as I realize how it will be so much sweeter when another team celebrates on the Yankees home field like the Marlins did last year.
    As a Mets fan I obviously have very little to look forward to this year. I will be looking forward to another Yankees playoff defeat and the shame and suffering the Yankees fans will feel then.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curtisquared just hit the nail on the head.

The Sox had their chance to get A-Rod, and they blew it. They entered an arms race this off-season with the Yankees and had not only A-Rod but Magglio Ordonez fitted in the Sox jerseys they (The Sox) and the MLBPA blew it.

Boy Wonder Theo should have kept trying to make this deal work but he let it die. Plain and simple.

Even funnier is that reports are some of the details being worked on is TEXAS giving the Yankees some money to help off set the cost of the contract. :lol:

Hey it Todd Walker still out there ? Maybe the Yanks can sign him to play second base.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Mavrik@Feb 14 2004, 08:11 PM
    Another example of all that is wrong in baseball...

I hope the Yanks fall flat on their faces this year.
    Well anything would be better than what's instore for the mets...

The AMAZING mess..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CurtisSquared@Feb 14 2004, 07:23 PM
    I'm a Sox fan and all I can say is that it serves the Sox right. If you are going to make a move to beat the Yanks, then make the friggin move. They had Arod and blew it.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shawn306@Feb 14 2004, 08:31 PM
    Curtisquared just hit the nail on the head.

The Sox had their chance to get A-Rod, and they blew it. They entered an arms race this off-season with the Yankees and had not only A-Rod but Magglio Ordonez fitted in the Sox jerseys they (The Sox) and the MLBPA blew it.

Boy Wonder Theo should have kept trying to make this deal work but he let it die. Plain and simple.

Even funnier is that reports are some of the details being worked on is TEXAS giving the Yankees some money to help off set the cost of the contract. :lol:

Hey it Todd Walker still out there ? Maybe the Yanks can sign him to play second base.
    dude, no offense but you have your head up in your *** here, as does everyone else parrotting this line.

The MLBPA wouldn't let A-Rod renegotiate the contract substantially, so the Sox had the chance to get A-Rod at a heavy price: 25 mil per year, plus money to Hicks (reportedly in excess of 10 million).

I mean, look, the Jets can get Terrell Owens this offseason. That's a fact. Offer enough money, spread the SB out over 12 years, they can get TO....

But theres a point where getting TO would be a dumbass move: because it would **** over the Jets ability to keep the rest of the team better.

The Sox had the chance to make a bad trade for A-Rod. They made the right decision. They negotiated what would have been a good trade but the MLBPA vetoed it.

That angle is simply simplistic and stupid.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Smizzy+Feb 14 2004, 07:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smizzy @ Feb 14 2004, 07:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--CurtisSquared@Feb 14 2004, 07:23 PM
    I&#39;m a Sox fan and all I can say is that it serves the Sox right. If you are going to make a move to beat the Yanks, then make the friggin move. They had Arod and blew it.
    Couldn&#39;t have said it better. [/b][/quote]
    I echo the smiz ... Well Said, CS

As I have been saying since forever on this site, and some think I&#39;m joking but I&#39;m not ... more often than not the difference between winning and losing in sports comes down to ONE THING

ABC

The NY Yankees GET IT

Your Red Sox {and my Jets} DO NOT

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Feb 14 2004, 09:01 PM

As I have been saying since forever on this site, and some think I&#39;m joking but I&#39;m not ... more often than not the difference between winning and losing in sports comes down to ONE THING

ABC

The NY Yankees GET IT

Your Red Sox {and my Jets} DO NOT
    Truer words have never been spoken.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boone screws Boston again

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Stewdawg@Feb 14 2004, 08:06 PM
    Boone screws Boston again
    LOL&#33;&#33; :lol:

I didn&#39;t think of that twist, but it&#39;s true :o

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so the Sox now getting A-Rod is a bad trade ?

So the Sox getting A-Rod and Magglio Ordonez would not have had you jumping out of your seat screaming this is the Sox year &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

C&#39;mon please, I&#39;m begging you to please stop the maddness. You know it and just about every Sox fan knows that the Sox are one of the financial "Haves" in this sport. If they wanted to beat the Yankees so bad they should have made the deal and let the chips fall where they may.

I&#39;m not gonna say this is gonna guarantee a World Series in the the Bronx though. I still would have liked to have had Pettitte still here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shawn306@Feb 14 2004, 09:15 PM

So the Sox getting A-Rod and Magglio Ordonez would not have had you jumping out of your seat screaming this is the Sox year &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

C&#39;mon please, I&#39;m begging you to please stop the maddness. You know it and just about every Sox fan knows that the Sox are one of the financial "Haves" in this sport. If they wanted to beat the Yankees so bad they should have made the deal and let the chips fall where they may.

I&#39;m not gonna say this is gonna guarantee a World Series in the the Bronx though. I still would have liked to have had Pettitte still here.
    Tell me TO in a Jets uni wouldn&#39;t have you jumping out of your seat.

If it&#39;s a 12 year contract with a 50 million dollar signing bonus though it&#39;s a bad deal.

The Red Sox have an effective cap: the team can only spend so much money.

The Yankees believe it or not have an effective cap also: it just happens to be about 100 milliuon dollars more than the Sox.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour+Feb 14 2004, 09:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RichardSeymour @ Feb 14 2004, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--shawn306@Feb 14 2004, 09:15 PM

Tell me TO in a Jets uni wouldn&#39;t have you jumping out of your seat.

If it&#39;s a 12 year contract with a 50 million dollar signing bonus though it&#39;s a bad deal.

The Yankees believe it or not have an effective cap also: it just happens to be about 100 milliuon dollars more than the Sox. [/b][/quote]
    T.O. Would have me jumping out of my seat. I&#39;ll be the first one to admit it.

If the A-Rod and Ordonez, Nomar, Manny deal had gone through. How much higher would the Sox payroll have been ? What is Ordonez&#39;s contract for right now ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2004, 08:18 PM

The Yankees believe it or not have an effective cap also: it just happens to be about 100 milliuon dollars more than the Sox.
    So should we all lower our cap number to that of KC or the smallest of small market teams ... or just to the level Boston finds acceptable?

Cause right now Boston owns a competitive edge {financially} over the KC&#39;s of the world ... every bit as large as any advantage the Yankees may have over Boston

So why is it fair for Boston {and all of us big market teams} to obliterate the small market teams in salary, but not for for the Yankees to obliterate Boston?

Just trying to figure out the goal here

Fair cap number for EVERYONE ... one that ALL TEAMS can meet ... or just one Boston feels comfortable with?

I ask this question for an obvious reason ... cause it will be a cold day in hell when the MLBPA accepts a cap number that is fair to EVERYONE

So I&#39;m thinkin you must be thinkin more along the lines of forcing the Yankees to spend no more than Boston can spend ... and we both get to obliterate KC?

Nope, if it&#39;s not a fair number for everyone ... the Red Sox can continue to obliterate KC, and we&#39;ll continue to obliterate the Red Sox B)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 14 2004, 09:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 14 2004, 09:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2004, 08:18 PM

So should we all lower our cap number to that of KC or the smallest of small market teams ... or just to the level Boston finds acceptable?

Cause right now Boston owns a competitive edge {financially} over the KC&#39;s of the world ... every bit as large as any advantage the Yankees may have over Boston

So why is it fair for Boston {and all of us big market teams} to obliterate the small market teams in salary, but not for for the Yankees to obliterate Boston?

Just trying to figure out the goal here

Fair cap number for EVERYONE ... one that ALL TEAMS can meet ... or just one Boston feels comfortable with?

I ask this question for an obvious reason ... cause it will be a cold day in hell when the MLBPA accepts a cap number that is fair to EVERYONE

So I&#39;m thinkin you must be thinkin more along the lines of forcing the Yankees to spend no more than Boston can spend ... and we both get to obliterate KC?

Nope, if it&#39;s not a fair number for everyone ... the Red Sox can continue to obliterate KC, and we&#39;ll continue to obliterate the Red Sox B) [/b][/quote]
    Fair for everyone, I&#39;m willing to sack up and have Boston cut payroll also.

As a Bostonian this deal is like a kick to the groin. As a baseball fan it&#39;s even worse. this deal is disgusting.

One salary cap for every team, no competitive advantage for any teams.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2004, 08:53 PM

As a Bostonian this deal is like a kick to the groin. As a baseball fan it&#39;s even worse. this deal is disgusting.

Okay, now sell the MLBPA on creating a salary cap that KC can meet and still make a profit ... if you can do that, DEAL ME IN

But I&#39;ll save you the suspense ... if you make that proposal they will never stop laughing

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 14 2004, 09:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 14 2004, 09:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2004, 08:53 PM

Okay, now sell the MLBPA on creating a salary cap that KC can meet and still make a profit ... if you can do that, DEAL ME IN

But I&#39;ll save you the suspense ... if you make that proposal they will never stop laughing [/b][/quote]
    Do what the NFL does: share television revenues.

Take the current total salaries of all MLB teams, aggregate. Divide by the number of teams. Set a number 5 million higher than that as the cap, and a number 5 million lower than that as the minimum....

Neither of those things works straight up without complications, but there are ways. Look at the NFL. 32 good franchises, with good owners, sharing revenue, with a cap, competing hard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :lol:

sawx fans are hilarious. yah landing A-Rod would have killed your team. :lol:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "SPIN" in here is getting OUT OF CONTROL&#33;&#33;

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somehow, had the Sawx pried A-Rod out of Texas cutrate, I doubt very much any Sawx fans would be talking about hard salary caps and revenue sharing.

Look, they&#39;re not sharing revenue in baseball because it&#39;s 81 games and seperate TV markets and contracts. And if you were smart or lucky enough to buy the Sawx and NESN or the Yankees and start YES, well, too bad for everyone else. The Sawx owners would sooner slice their wrists and sell their kids into slavery before they&#39;d give up that lucrative cable revenue to dumbasses in Milwaukee, Montreal, Pittsburgh and Tampa. When one of these "proud&#39; franchise actually goes under, then may be your point would have some validity. But every major sport except the NFL is overexpanded. it&#39;s past time for some weak sisters to take a hike. Until one of them goes out of business, this is all window dressing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RichardSeymour@Feb 14 2004, 06:39 PM

It&#39;s the beaten, abused kid from the wrong side of the tracks against the arrogant, daddys boy prep school kid.

2003 MLB Payrolls

Team Payroll Tax

New York Yankees &#036;180,322,403 10,764,809
    New York Mets 116,253,927 0
    Los Angeles 109,248,680 0
    Texas 106,277,880 0
    Boston 104,873,607 0

Atlanta 103,912,011 0
    St. Louis 101,825,848 0
    San Francisco 100,061,211 0
    Philadelphia 95,338,704 0
    Arizona 92,665,040 0

Seattle 92,268,063 0
    Chicago Cubs 86,576,763 0
    Anaheim 83,235,098 0
    Houston 79,946,964 0
    Colorado 78,738,492 0

Baltimore 75,502,154 0
    Chicago White Sox 71,336,029 0
    Minnesota 65,318,977 0
    Cincinnati 65,083,196 0
    Florida 63,281,152 0

Pittsburgh 62,314,723 0
    Toronto 61,175,638 0
    Detroit 59,006,941 0
    Cleveland 58,108,824 0
    San Diego 57,871,722 0

Oakland 56,596,691 0
    Kansas City 48,475,322 0
    Milwaukee 47,294,226 0
    Montreal 45,853,889 0
    Tampa Bay 31,660,602 0

Total 2,400,424,777 0

Wow...if you guys are the "beaten abused kid from the wrong side of the tracks", then what are the 25 teams below you in payroll?...lepers and orphans?

Get over it...you&#39;re not a victim here.

I guess Theo the "boy-wonder" is being humbled a bit.

BB