Thread: Redsox Nation is terrified!!

To me, what makes this whole A-Rod to NYY thing so horrific is the long-term ramifications. The MFY have acquired arguably the best position player in the game (and arguably the greatest SS to EVER play the game), IN HIS PRIME, apparently at reasonable $$$$ (if Hicks is indeed kicking in as much as reported). Not only is A-Rod a fantastic player, but he's the type of ambassador for the sport itself that Manny never could be and that Nomar apparently has no interest in ever being.
    The mediots have already begun the hackneyed "Yankees always win/Sox always lose" chorus [one can only imagine the insufferable crap that we're gonna have to endure from likes of Joe Buck, Tim McCarver and Joe Morgan during national broadcasts this coming year]. A-Rod (barring injury/illness/death) will now surely enter the HOF in a MFY cap. Perhaps, he'll break Aaron's record while in pinstripes as well.
    There, my brothers and sisters, is where the true disaster of this event lies. Yet another generation of future MLB players will grow up influenced by [God help me, I'm about to sound like a YES Network employee here] the "Yankee tradition of greatness." Yet another generation of future ballplayers will grow up wanting to one day follow in A-Rod's footsteps by becoming part of that tradition. The cycle will perpetuate. [On a related note: unless their performance falls off, I expect to see the likes of Soriano, Nick Johnson, et al return to the Bronx when they reach free agency.]
    As long as the Sox are considered "eternal bridesmaids" or worse by the national - and in this age of instant global communication - international media in comparison to the "great NYYS," the Bronx will continue to be the first destination of choice for a large majority of premium players. And, as long as SiAS is willing to pay the $$$, those players dreams of donning pinstripes will continue to become their reality, and ultimately RSN's nightmare.

But as a Sox fan, you have to be realistic:

if this rumor is in fact true, the Yankees have traded Soriano for ARod. He is one of the three or four best players in baseball. They have improved their team.

Soriano is a defesive sieve. He costs the Yankees runs. ARod is a defensive stalwart. He saves runs.

Soriano has power and no discipline, he swings at bad pitches and costs his team outs. ARod has power and (a good amount of) discipline, he hits for average, power and in the clutch. He does not, for the most part, make unnecessary outs.

The upgrade from Soriano to ARod makes Pedro's life harder on the mound. Schilling's. Lowe's. Foulke's. etc. Defensively, the Yankees just made Manny and Nomar and Ortiz and Trot, etc. have to hit the ball better to reach on a single, double, triple, etc

this quote makes my whole day...
    The MFY have acquired arguably the best position player in the game (and arguably the greatest SS to EVER play the game), IN HIS PRIME, apparently at reasonable $$$$ (if Hicks is indeed kicking in as much as reported). Not only is A-Rod a fantastic player, but he's the type of ambassador for the sport itself that Manny never could be and that Nomar apparently has no interest in ever being.
    The mediots have already begun the hackneyed "Yankees always win/Sox always lose" chorus [one can only imagine the insufferable crap that we're gonna have to endure from likes of Joe Buck, Tim McCarver and Joe Morgan during national broadcasts this coming year]. A-Rod (barring injury/illness/death) will now surely enter the HOF in a MFY cap. Perhaps, he'll break Aaron's record while in pinstripes as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

thats where i got this from.