Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memoirs of a Red Sox fan

Hall Of Fame
    First thing I guess I have to say is that I am not a true American. I was born in Kilwninning, Scotland in Jan 1973. I never even heard of baseball until probably 1987. That said, I was incredibly passionate and devoted to our national past-time and major sport:football (soccer). I've always been an atheltic guy and did well at pretty much every sport. Over the years I have grown to appreciate how valuable sports are to society, and to a nation. I am a strong socalist and identify very well with the struggles of the everyday man. To me, seeing soccer being played in the shanty towns of any 3rd world city made me feel somewhow right and true as I too played the very same game and had the same dreams these kids had. The closest I have seen of this display in the USA is in baseball. Why? Because baseball is people, and I believ in people.

I came to the USA in 1995. I was a huge Jets fan upon my first landing at Logan International on September 1st, 1995. I had been an avid viewer of the NFL since they first beamed games to Scotland in 1985. I believe the first game I saw was a Jets V Miami game back in 85 and for whatever reason I chose the Jets. Around that time I remember moving our portable tv up to me and my wee brothers room to watch the Celtics V Lakers NBA Finals on BBC2. Baseball was never an option to me, but I grew to love US sports. Seeing Larry Bird and Magic Johnson go at it on my grainy, black and whte tv at about 2am was too addictive. I rooted for the Celtics I belive, why I do not know. Maybe becaue there was a team in my own country by that very name, but if Ayr Uted were to ever play Celtic, I'd hope the black and white Honest Men would prevail!

Whilst I started my life in this country I gradualy paid more attention to baseball as I liked to be on top of sports and looked to discuss sports with anyone that was close by. Considering thatno-one could really discuss with me why Ayr United had changed from a 4-4-2 to a 3-5-2 meant I had to seek out sports closer to where I was. I travelled west in 96 and was offered to see the Dodgers play the Braves. I agreed, but was bored off my tits as I just didn't get it.I lked American Football, not baseball. The Dodgers gave up a 2 run lead to lose 4-2 if anyone is keeping score. I decided baseball was pish and took a very slight following to the Brewers as I thought it was cool thye had a guy slide down into a barrell of beer on every homerun. You have to admit for a Scotsman, this HAD to be my team, it involved beer for cryign out loud! But I could never experience the feeling of travelling and spending the day folowing a group of guys I could Identify with. I couldn't share or argue the team's moves with fellow patrons, I couldn't smell how a game was, and I couldn't identify with America's national past-time: baseball. This all changed in 1998.

I was offered a spot with a group of friends to go see the Boston Red Sox play the Cleveland Indians on Patriots Day, 1998. It was a cool, grey, drissly day in Boston. I sat with friends who could tell me what was going on and I saw Colin Powell sit 5 rows ahead of me and see the Sox win with a Mo Vaughn homerun in extra innings. I then had post game ales in a nearby bar and experienced the feel and vibe of sports and community so similar to that I had experienced in Scotland. Fenway is historic, the fans are loyal, passionate and very knowlegable about their team and sport. Being in such a historic setting with loyal fans gave me the closest feeling i had ever felt toward a team away from home. The Red Sox were so familar to Scotland and other underdog teams with a glorious history, like Ireland, that I knew I had to follow them. To have their biggest rivals be so similar to that of England (larger, dominant, arrogant) meant that the decision was out of my hands. I WAS now a Red sox fan. I have been loyal ever since. I love the smell, the feel of Fenway. Yeah it is old, but they are trying to knock down and destroy stadiums like Fenway back in Scotland. I used to be able to go and see my beloved local Ayr United by standing on the terraces of Somerset Park. But if my team is to be successful they cannot advance unless they convert to an allseater venue. I know this is an immediate difference to what Fenway offers, but my point is that theseplaces are a direct reflection to how the game was in the past. Football was at it's best in Scoland around the time Somerset Park was packed. I used to go there and loved feeling the anticipation and feel of of optimism and pride every time you'd see your team take the field. It might be a night game and the crowd was less which meant that every time a kick to goal went into the crowd, YOU might the guy throwing it back to an Ayr United player. You felt a part of the team. I've been to Dodger Stadium, yankee Stadium, Meadowlands, Foxboro, FleetCenter and the closest I have ver felt as being a prt of the team has been at Fenway. When I show up there, I feel I truly am helping the team. There is a passion there I cannot describe in words, and if you are a fan of sports, not necesserily of baseball, then I strongly urge you see a game there.

Do i understand what it means to have the yanks as our #1 rival? Ofcourse. I have seen them win every year I have beena fan. I have heard the stories, I have seen the tape. The yanks are the better franchise and the better team. You cannot argue with 26-0. If you are a yankee then I urge you to read that agin: a Red Sox fan says you can't beat 26-0. The yankees are the better over time. HOWEVER! Would I feel comfortable being a yankee fan? HELL NO!!! I am PROUD to be a RED SOX fan. I am loyal. You play wiffleball, or any sport and you want me on your team as I will bring 100% and remind you what team is all about. But the bottom line is that I truly believe my Red Sox are the good guys. You can dispute that all you want but it doesn't matter, my guys are the good guys. The harder you dispute it, the more you prove my point. To those that remain true, when it happens they will be rewarded with such sweetness. You can't stop us, you can only hope it doesn't happen when you are around. Long live the underdog.

I think what the yanks have done is incredible and I admire the success and determination of the franchise. Doesn;t give you the right to win every year, but I can't help but admire the success. I don't hate the yanks, I love their attitude. I love it nearly as much as the Red Sox. The difference? I know we're the good guys. So take A-Rod. 24 hours after the news I love this. Why? Because it makes things right. We were the favourites, we were expected to win, there was all the pressure on us. Now it is all on the yanks 100%. They made the move to prevent the Red Sox from winning. What does that mean? Basically it means that Dec2003 to Jan 2004 never happened. That's it. Red Sox aren't expected to win now, and I love that. Yanks took all the pressure off the Red Sox for the next 4 years. If we didn't win this year, could we handle the increasing pressure of every year of A-Rod's contract? When the Red Sox win it all it has to be when they aren't expected to. The yankees have now given them that opportunity. Thank you.

Hall Of Fame
    Oh yeah I nearly forgot, ahem.

"FREEEEEDOOOOOM!"

Originally posted by ScottishJet@Feb 15 2004, 10:58 PM
    Oh yeah I nearly forgot, ahem.

"FREEEEEDOOOOOM!"
    :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

SJ

I enjoyed reading your post.

Too bad you side with Boston....but this is why I love beating the Sawx every year..........the fans always think they have a chance :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Feb 15 2004, 11:16 PM
    SJ

I enjoyed reading your post.

Too bad you side with Boston....but this is why I love beating the Sawx every year..........the fans always think they have a chance :lol:
    I don't think I ever said that. I stated that any winning thoughts Red Sox fans had should have been twisetd 180 degrees as you got A-Rod. Now YOU are expected to win, not Boston. I just love being an underdog again.

You have been the under dog for the last 86 years..

how has that worked out for the sox?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 15 2004, 11:26 PM

Doesn't matter. To truly break free we must do as underdogs. If it takes longer, it just takes longer. To me it has only been 6 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by ScottishJet+Feb 15 2004, 11:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ScottishJet @ Feb 15 2004, 11:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy@Feb 15 2004, 11:26 PM

Doesn&#39;t matter. To truly break free we must do as underdogs. If it takes longer, it just takes longer. To me it has only been 6 years. [/b][/quote]
    Before you know it SJ....you&#39;ll be like my Dad.

Lifelong fan.....with not much hope of seeing a Sawx championship in your lifetime.

Sorry :ph34r:

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JonEJet+Feb 15 2004, 11:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Feb 15 2004, 11:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -ScottishJet@Feb 15 2004, 11:32 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy
    @Feb 15 2004, 11:26 PM

Doesn&#39;t matter. To truly break free we must do as underdogs. If it takes longer, it just takes longer. To me it has only been 6 years.
    Before you know it SJ....you&#39;ll be like my Dad.

Lifelong fan.....with not much hope of seeing a Sawx championship in your lifetime.

Sorry :ph34r: [/b][/quote]
    Maybe. But I go to sleep knowing I&#39;m not a yankee fan.

I sleep well.

But you sure don&#39;t sleep as well as US Yankee fans do

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 15 2004, 11:51 PM
    But you sure don&#39;t sleep as well as US Yankee fans do
    Actually, you&#39;d be surprised, I sleep very well (maybe it&#39;s all the ale). I dream of winning. Ain&#39;t nothing better than that feeling. And just think how sweet my dreams will be after we win it&#33; And I know you can relate as you&#39;re a Jets fan.

Just so you know...

Im 26,I didn&#39;t grow up watching a great Yankee team..heck when i became a fan(83/84)
    I was 7...They had a poor team and they had this kid who was setting NY on fire at the plate...That kid?Don Mattingly.

The Yankees blew from 82-94....so in reality they sucked from when i was 7 till the day i graduated from highschool.

It wasn&#39;t cool then to wear a Yankee cap.
    To make along story short....I can relate to your "When we win it will be amazing"theory because i had it in &#39;96....I cried like a baby the first time...I swear to god i cried for an hour...The team i had loved all my life had finally done the 1 thing i prayed for....It gets no better.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 16 2004, 12:10 AM
    Just so you know...

Im 26,I didn&#39;t grow up watching a great Yankee team..heck when i became a fan(83/84)
    I was 7...They had a poor team and they had this kid who was setting NY on fire at the plate...That kid?Don Mattingly.

The Yankees blew from 82-94....so in reality they sucked from when i was 7 till the day i graduated from highschool.

To make along story short....I can relate to your "When we win it will be amazing"theory because i had it in &#39;96....I cried like a baby the first time...I swear to god i cried for an hour...The team i had loved all my life had finally done the 1 thing i prayed for....It gets no better.
    So you&#39;ll raise a glass to me when we win it?

If you win it.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 16 2004, 12:46 AM
    If you win it.
    When we win it.

I think after 86 yrs we will go with IF.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 16 2004, 01:07 AM
    Nah, I think we&#39;ll stick to when.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by ScottishJet+Feb 16 2004, 01:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ScottishJet @ Feb 16 2004, 01:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy@Feb 16 2004, 01:07 AM
    Nah, I think we&#39;ll stick to when. [/b][/quote]
    Sorry SJ....the Sawx willl never win.

Just ask my dad&#33; :lol:

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by ScottishJet+Feb 16 2004, 12:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ScottishJet @ Feb 16 2004, 12:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy@Feb 16 2004, 12:10 AM
    Just so you know...

So you&#39;ll raise a glass to me when we win it? [/b][/quote]
    I will take you out dancing when you win it.......provided we are not in wheel chairs by then........... :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    No offense, Scottish, but you must be a glutton for punishment. A Red Sox/Jets fan. Often competetive teams, but never good enough. Thank God I&#39;m a rabid Pats fan.

Met a huge Sox fan at a SB party. She&#39;s a charter member of that Sosa (or is that Shosha?)...well, whatever. She belongs to some Red Sox Super fan club, has met a gazillion players and has "chated" with Shilling. She wasn&#39;t to happy to hear me say that she should sit and watch a real winner: My Pats. Still, I admired her enthusiasm, her positive attitude, her loyalty. I was impressed not only by her knowledge of the game but her absolute devotion and unwavering confidence that "this is the year." There&#39;s something very admirable about that. I admire YOUR devotion, ScoothishJet. Your allegience makes you a prince among these Jets fans. So glad I got to make your acquaintance.

Yet, I&#39;m thankful that my FAVORITE team is the Patriots and a distant second is the Sox.....I&#39;m still not completely over Bill Buckner&#39;s (actually, Calvin Schiraldi&#39;s) gaffe and witnessing (in person) Bucky Bleeping Dent&#39;s shot when I was an impressionable child. How much abuse can a person take? I&#39;ll still watch, I&#39;ll still go to a few games and I&#39;ll probably get caught up in the playoff run, ignoring that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach telling me that my time to hurl is coming soon....(like that feeling I got when Grady decided to keep Pedro in, you know?)

Funny, Boone does it to the Sox again. If he hadn&#39;t had his mishap, would the Arod deal have happened? Nope.

First Sox/Yanks game at Fenway - the end of April I think. Should be as super-charged as the last time they met. Could be scarey.