Thread: Schilling talks about the trade

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thought you guys might be interested in reading what Curt Schilling has said about the trade. He posted this on the Sons Of Sam Horn messageboard.

"Have to laugh at anyone that's even remotely shocked by this. The unlimited payroll *****ing is rather old now too. It is what it is, and we'll deal with it. Does it make them better, well I don't know. Does adding a guy that, when he retires, has a legitimate chance to be the best all around player in the games history make you better????? Hell yes it makes them better, offensively, defensively it's not even close, they get much better. Fact of the matter is the ownership of this team chooses to build a team based on in depth talent and character analysis, as well as payroll impact. You can't ***** and moan about the lack of effort on the Red Sox end, they reached for the stars on this, and it didn't fit.
    I'm more than ok with that. You can argue this way and that in regards to who's talked to whom, how certain guys were handled and treated this winter. But no one other than the parties involved knows what's really happened and if you look back, most, if not all, of the negative comments directed at the Red Sox fall into this area. They've worked their asses off to make this team a world series contender, and we are, period. Arod to the Yankees, if it happens, just makes winning this whole thing that much sweeter IMO, when it happens.
    It's another challenge, but after 85 years did any of you think that getting over this final hurdle and winning it all was gonna be a cake walk? No, it'll be more fun this way. This way, when we do win it all, and you all are out there flipping birds back and forth with Yankee fans, you'll be smiling a whole lot wider.
    It was gonna be a challenge before this rumor, and with or without Arod the Yankees are going to be real real good, so let's move on, let whatever happens happen, and focus on the fact that the best Boston Red Sox team in the last 100 years takes the field in 7 days, for a ride that is guaranteed to be the most memorable of any of our lives over the next 8 months, and enjoy the hell out of it.
    OK, Questec just flat out sucks..."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is reasons why Schilling is one of my favorite players even if he plays for the enemy now. If anyone has followed his career he always speaks from the heart and you can never EVER question his passion for the game.

He is one guy who could pitch on my team anytime

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shawn306@Feb 16 2004, 10:55 AM
    This is reasons why Schilling is one of my favorite players even if he plays for the enemy now. If anyone has followed his career he always speaks from the heart and you can never EVER question his passion for the game.

He is one guy who could pitch on my team anytime
    I agree.

Schilling is a baller, no doubt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have to respect Schilling-he isn't whining. I don't know if he'll stay healthy(same with Brown), but he's a gamer. Seems like many Sawx fans are throwing in the towel, but Schilling isn't.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm Glad Schilling threw down the Gauntlet ... so now their gonna beat us anyway, huh?

Okay Shill ... BRING IT, MUH-MAN ... BRING IT!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad Lowe doesn't feel the same...

"I'm thinking, Aaron Boone has done it to us twice in four months. The first time with that homer in the playoffs, now him getting hurt opened the door for Rodriguez," said Red Sox pitcher Derek Lowe.

TomShane
    That's alot of balls and alot of class from Schilling.

Maxman
    Schilling has balls of steel. He came into Yankee stadum as a DBACK and wow'ed the media with this Mystique and Aura press conference. And he more then backed it up. So his resume and heart are without question.

A few thoughts though:

Boston really can't complain about the Yankees making this move. I read in a Peter Gammons article today that Boston is 20% higher in payroll then 28 other teams. Certainly the Yankees blow that away but it was okay with Boston when they were able to pry away Schilling.

Also Francesca brought up a good point today about Curt. There is no way he and Pedro are going to play nice in the sandbox together. Pedro will do something stupid like usual and Curt is going to call him on it. Schilling is not going to sit back, not his style. Pedro is going to sulk and whine about it (that is his style). Boston fans need to hope that this doesn't effect Pedro's performance on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman@Feb 16 2004, 10:24 PM
    Schilling has balls of steel. He came into Yankee stadum as a DBACK and wow'ed the media with this Mystique and Aura press conference. And he more then backed it up. So his resume and heart are without question.

A few thoughts though:

Boston really can't complain about the Yankees making this move. I read in a Peter Gammons article today that Boston is 20% higher in payroll then 28 other teams. Certainly the Yankees blow that away but it was okay with Boston when they were able to pry away Schilling.

Also Francesca brought up a good point today about Curt. There is no way he and Pedro are going to play nice in the sandbox together. Pedro will do something stupid like usual and Curt is going to call him on it. Schilling is not going to sit back, not his style. Pedro is going to sulk and whine about it (that is his style). Boston fans need to hope that this doesn't effect Pedro's performance on the field.
    He doesn't have that Boston mentality yet and he hasn't come to the realization he's playing for a team that hasn't won a world series since the Wilson Administration.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While Schilling is Red Sox he will never be a member of the "Scapegoat Nation". He has way to much class for that.

Classic Schilling quote during the 2001 World Series.

New York is the greatest place on Earth but I still want to kick the crap out of them.