Thread: A-Rod deal had nothing to do with

I don't have enough time to read the hundreds of threads that go on to whine, and whine about how only the Yankees could afford to make this deal and how it's bad for baseball. If this point has already been made then I apologize but as I said, I'm not going to read all of the whining on the other posts. Here are some things to consider about the A-Rod deal.

--Trading Soriano frees up 5.5 million this year

--With the option to terminate Boones contract the Yankees stand to save another 5 million there

--Given the fact that the yankees are obligated to pay A-Rod $117 million over 7 years comes out to roughly 16 million per season.

So what the Yankees did was raise their payroll by $6 million dollars to add A-Rod (not including the raise Soriano will get in 2 years)

So IMHO, this is an absolute STEAL for the Yankees. What team in MLB would not be willing to spend an exrta $6 million to get the best player in baseball? Any organization unwilling to pull that off doesn't even deserve to have a team.

All Pro
    you neglect to mention their payroll is now around 180 to 200 million dollars. More than 80 million more than what the Sox payroll is I'm not even going to compare the Yankee payroll with the lowest payroll in the league.

Originally posted by Mavrik@Feb 16 2004, 08:18 PM
    you neglect to mention their payroll is now around 180 to 200 million dollars. More than 80 million more than what the Sox payroll is I'm not even going to compare the Yankee payroll with the lowest payroll in the league.
    The team total payroll has nothing to do with the fact that they were able to acquire the best player in baseball for an overall increase of 6 million...any team in baseball would have done that if they were smart enough to pull it off. The Bosox had a chance and they blew it. If the KC Royals had a prospect or major leaguer good enough to pry A-Rod away for a 6 mil. dollar increase they should have done it.

Rookie
    Originally posted by Mavrik@Feb 16 2004, 04:18 PM
    yup, and the Sox payroll is 20% higher than 28 other teams

Maxman
    Also the Yankees just saved some cake by letting Henson go.

BoSox had the chance, they let $12 million stand in the way. Yanks did not. They get a 28 year old, at a cost of $16 million for the next 7 years. They will actually pay less for 7 years of A-Rod than Texas will pay for 3 seasons, when all is said and done.

Compare the A-Rod contract to Vlad Guerreo. It's costing the Yanks 1 million a year more, and they get the Al MVP. Very shrewd move.

Theo may be good, but Cashman takes a back seat to no one. B)