Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What teams should MLB contract?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty I would not shed a tear for these teams if they are contracted...

1) Brewers - UGH..is there a more pathetic franchise....owner is a cheap bastard who got his grandiose stadium and they still suck

2) Devil Rays - This team will not make playoffs in my life team.....just a horrible stadium and a horrible front off structure

3) Expos - No real fans and a shift in home stadiums throughout the year negates any home field advantage

4) Pirates - They suck and I dont foresee any chance of any monetary influx helping them

5) Rangers - Need to wake up now...there had better be some good picthers there after getting rid of their financial albatross

6) Tigers - Better start winning or else they will walk the plank...

LL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by latinlawyer@Feb 16 2004, 07:01 PM

6) Tigers - Better start winning or else they will walk the plank...

LL
    Mentioning the Tigers on this list may result in sporadic gunfire. :lol:

They are one of the oldest and most notable franchises in MLB history with 4 World Series wins, all of which have been won since the Red Sox last won anything. Yeah they are in the midst of what has been a drought of biblical proportions, but that doesn't make them a canidate for contraction. Not even close. Shut down the assclown Devil Rays or something like that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Guns...consider the Tigers contracted from my contraction list...

LL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tampa Bay....there is no fanbase.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    TB
    Montreal
    MIL
    COL
    MIN-yes even still

PIT, DET, are both ancient franchises that have had success in the past and they come from large metropolis' with the ability to fund them. TEX used to be very competitive until they signed A-Rod.

The above 5 should be contracted immediately. KC, ChiSox, PIT, and DET need to be put on notice to at least try to field a winning team or goodbye to them as well. Lastly, FLA hit the jackpot with a ton of quality youth. They need to show they are commited by keeping these players. Letting I-Rod go was not a good start IMO.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets :lol:

Ummmm, Red Sox too

This is a Yankee universe ... both are just a squirrel trying to get a nut

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 16 2004, 06:25 PM
    Well if you put it that way :unsure: ..... THE TIGERS STAY!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    jankees.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, all kidding aside ... no team that has been around practically since the inception of MLB should even be considered for contraction ... that means Boston and Detroit, just to name a few

But I would seriously consider contracting the Mets

I mean, what's the point ... any team in NY is destined to be buried alive by the NY Yankees

And let's face it ... the team operates like a small market team ... like a MOM & POP STORE ... IN NEW YORK, for goodness sake ... that alone should make them primary candidates for contraction

Then consider the Yankee factor ... the most storied franchise in all of sports ... right in the same backyard ... and you might just as well resign the NY Mets to the ash-heap of history :lol:

PS. It's not like the team has any real tradition either ... their an expansion team that piggy-backed on the coat-tails of the Dodgers and Giants leaving NY for California ... they filled a void for the brokenhearted NL fans in NY ... but that generation has long since passed away, high time the Mets do the same ... they have served their purpose and their 15 minutes is up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Detroit fans would gladly come out and support the Tigers if their owner would put money into the team instead of the Red Wings. Hopefully with them signing I-Rod, things will start to change in the Motor City again.

There are really only two teams I think should be contracted and maybe two others

1) Milwaukee: Selig get a new stadium and continues to cut payroll.
    2) Tampa Bay: Baseball will always be second class now their too Football.

Montreal should move. They have aruguably the best scouting department in all of baseball. Move this franchise. Washington D.C. The Carolina's, Vegas.

Pittsburgh: This one is a tough call. Even when the Pirates were winning division titles in the early 90's they were still second class citizens to the Steelers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shawn306@Feb 16 2004, 07:05 PM
    Pittsburgh: This one is a tough call. Even when the Pirates were winning division titles in the early 90's they were still second class citizens to the Steelers.
    Shawn, I agree with your list ... but not Pitt

I would never contract an ORIGINAL TEAM ... the Pirates have been around forever ... they are part of the history of MLB, for better or worse

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tampa, Colorado. Expos should move to PR.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 16 2004, 07:51 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 16 2004, 07:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 16 2004, 06:25 PM
    Well if you put it that way :unsure: ..... THE TIGERS STAY&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by latinlawyer@Feb 16 2004, 07:27 PM
    Sorry Guns...consider the Tigers contracted from my contraction list...

LL
    Don&#39;t worry LL...You&#39;re still the man.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shawn306@Feb 16 2004, 08:05 PM
    Detroit fans would gladly come out and support the Tigers if their owner would put money into the team instead of the Red Wings. Hopefully with them signing I-Rod, things will start to change in the Motor City again.

There are really only two teams I think should be contracted and maybe two others

1) Milwaukee: Selig get a new stadium and continues to cut payroll.
    2) Tampa Bay: Baseball will always be second class now their too Football.

Montreal should move. They have aruguably the best scouting department in all of baseball. Move this franchise. Washington D.C. The Carolina&#39;s, Vegas.

Pittsburgh: This one is a tough call. Even when the Pirates were winning division titles in the early 90&#39;s they were still second class citizens to the Steelers.
    Shawn. Excellent post and I wholeheartedly agree about the Tigers owner. After last season there was a virtual fan mutiny here in Detroit, where many fans such as I had enough of the joke this once proud franchise had become. Like ham said, here&#39;s a teams that&#39;s been around since the league&#39;s inception, and now it&#39;s the armpit of the entire league. It&#39;s a disgrace. Illitch, their owner, has finally got his act together and realized us fans were on the verge of burning his offices down. He&#39;s opened up his checkbook like never before, and brough Dave Dombrowski in to repair the nightmare. We&#39;ve signed some decent FAs and had a coup with Pudge&#39;s signing. They were the best we could get because you can&#39;t woo top notch talent when you&#39;ve been a disaster for 15 years.

If I put myself in your shoes LL and others, I can obviously understand why Detroit is a prospective contraction candidate. They have been inept, not just bad, full blown inept since the early 90s. They went from a team with a great heritage to the LA Clippers of the AL in one decade. It&#39;s sickening. But they&#39;re coming back, I truly believe that. It&#39;s going to get turned around and the train put back on its track. You can&#39;t contract the Tigers, you just can&#39;t do it. Original teams must be protected at all costs. That definitely means the Pirates too.

My contraction list:

1. Milwakuee - What you guys said. Although may be tough with brand new stadium.
    2. Tampa......Indoor baseball in Florida with a fieldturf outfield? What the hell? A joke
    3. Montreal - bye bye. Bleeding money, no fan support any longer, lame duck franchise.
    4. Minnesota - No one in MN cares about the Twins. No one.
    5. Colorado - Disasterous experiment in the mountains.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hockey would never get rid of any of the Original Six...as would baseball never get rid of one of their oldest and most storied (yes, i said storied) franchises in the Tigers. Don&#39;t worry Yankee fans, I didn&#39;t say THE most storied franchise, ill give you that moniker.

1. Milwaukee- Historically crappy team, bad fans, no revenue, Will not and can not ever by as popular as their football counterparts, the Pack.

2.Tampa- Of all the great names you can give a baseball franchise, Tigers, Yankees, Giants, Red Sox, you name the team the DEVIL RAYS. That name alone screams Double AA cheapness. They have no fan base whatsoeve and play in one of the worst stadiums in baseball.

3. Montreal- They play in the worst stadium ever conceived by man and their fans are French. Nuff said.

4. Florida- Yes, I know. They won a World Series. But you only have a handful of people (including me) that go to Marlin games on a regular basis. The team only gets support when it makes the playoffs from bandwagon fans that come for the sake of saying they were at a baseball playoff game. They won a world championship last year and so far this year have only sold about 5,000 season tickets in a stadium that seats 40,000 and has a capacity for 65,000 during the playoffs. As much as I hate to say this, they are better off either moving to another city or dissolving. South Florida does not deserve to have a team like them.

5. Colorado- other than a nice stadium, they don&#39;t have much going for them. Are third of Denver resident&#39;s attention spans behind the Broncos and the Avs.

I dont quite agree with getting rid of Pittsburgh just yet. They do have a history and during the 70s 80s and early 90s always put up competitive clubs. I&#39;d say the Jury is out on the Twinkies. I&#39;d say axe em ( One less team in the weak AL Central to worry about GO TIGERS&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33 but they&#39;ve had a great minor league system and when they win, the fans do show up.

Just for anybody that cares, I&#39;m watching one of the few times in the last 40 years the Tigers have been in the world series. Which would be the 68 world series. Bob Gibson vs. Mickey Lolich. Great game. Great players like Kaline, Lolich, McClain, Brock, and Gibson on both sides.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Feb 16 2004, 07:49 PM
    This is a Yankee universe ... both are just a squirrel trying to get a nut
    I saw AROD and Jeter walking in the rain.

Maxman
    It is Tampa and Montreal.

Minnesota has some loyal fans and they are a good franchise. The only reason they were on the list in the first place is because Selig cooked up a sweetheart deal with them.

I once walked up to a Tampa game (years ago) 10 minutes after the first pitch. Bought a single seat for myself and I sat in the 8th row behind home plate. The guy with the juggs gun was in back of me. Rob Neyer from ESPN was in front of me.

Any idea how much a seat like that goes for at Yankee Stadium? And I got it in Tampa by walking up and paying &#036;20.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can sit there at a marlin game for 4. Buy fish tank move down.. Ushers usually dont care...best deal in baseball...even though technically your not paying for those seats B)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brewers and Devil Rays. Just pathetic the way they are run, and do not get support.

Twins need an owner who is committed to winning, They drew 3 million in the late 1980&#39;s, and 1991, when they were winners. But letting your entire &#39;pen go away as free agents is not a sign that you are committed to winning.

Marlins never had the support, but they somehow won 2 championships the past 6 seasons. Tough call.

I&#39;m not impressed with the launching pad in Colorado. Time to end that joke.