Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Killing A Police Officer Should Be A Federal Crime

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Stewdawg+Apr 28 2004, 05:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Stewdawg @ Apr 28 2004, 05:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -The Gun Of Bavaria@Apr 28 2004, 01:44 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Stewdawg[/i]@Apr 28 2004, 01:59 PM
    [b] 5 more cops die in the line of duty since 4/23, bringing to 46 the number of those killed since January 1st.

[url]www.odmp.org[/url] [/b][/quote]
    After spending last weekend doing a yard to yard search looking for a triple homicide suspect from Detroit (Armed possibly with an AK) with only our Glock 22s and a couple 870s (mine being one) we&#39;ve finally persuaded our dept. to get AR-15s for us. [/b][/quote]
    We&#39;re phasing out the S&W 9&#39;s this year, going to Sig .40&#39;s [/b][/quote]
    Sigs are nice. We&#39;ve had the .40s for a while, I can&#39;t believe you guys still have the 9mms. I hate those things.

I carry a Glock 27 .40 as a backup on my ankle.

My tru baby is my HK USP .40 but we have to carry the department issued weapon.

All League
    Those of you that have seen

[url]www.odmp.org[/url]

check out the new format effective 5/1.

All League
    This is National Police week, which culminates Saturday the 15th with the reading of the names of the Police Officers who died in the line of duty from 2003.

Some of the more "hardened" posters on this board should take a walk thru the Police Memorial one day and read the stories penned by the kids of cops who were killed trying to protect the people of this Country. Some of them only have pictures to remember their Fathers or Mothers. Not many eyes leave there dry.

I am heading down to DC Wednesday AM

Hall Of Fame
    I wish I was around the 15th to hear the reading, but maybe I will head out to DC that week to see the memorial.

It is shame how many cops die and how quickly even the I.A. departments forget about these things. So many times cops get scrutinized for trying protect themselves, but because it wasnt done "by the letter of the law," many of these cops really dont know what they can do to protect themselves without breaking their own code of conduct.

Despite having cops mess with me for stupid things in high school, I have the uttmost respect for what they do and I will keep all those that have passed away in my prayers.

Hall Of Fame
    We just lost another officer here in Michigan.

Last night a 12 year veteran of the Bloomfield Township Police Department, about 5miles north of the city I work in, was killed when his scout car was struck broadside on I-75 after arresting a drunk.

It&#39;s been bad year for officers killed in the line of duty in Michigan.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You just be careful out there&#33;&#33; Where I live, every moving violation has an automatic backup arriving just after the car is pulled over.

Hall Of Fame
    The vehicle that struck the officer&#39;s car broadside was doing over a 100mph when it came over a crest and driver has a BAC of .17, 2 times the legal limit.

All League
    I was just reading about the MI cop on ODMP.ORG, it didnt mention the part about the other guy doing a hundred AND drunk too.

America lost 4 cops in the line of duty over last 2 days, including a Chief of Police killed in motor cycle crash in PA and a cop who drowned while searching for evidence in a canal regarding a murder.

57 dead so far in 2004.

OK, I have yet to weight in on this one, but I thik I need to:

What makes the life of a Police Officer more valuble or more important that the life of any other American Citizen?

Why should the punishment for killing a Police Officer be higher or more severe than the punishment for killing, say, a law-abiding Mother of 6 or a Catholic Priest, or a Nobel Winning Scientist or a Politician running for office, or ANY OTHER PERSON???

All League
    [quote][b]OK, I have yet to weight in on this one, but I thik I need to:

What makes the life of a Police Officer more valuble or more important that the life of any other American Citizen?

Why should the punishment for killing a Police Officer be higher or more severe than the punishment for killing, say, a law-abiding Mother of 6 or a Catholic Priest, or a Nobel Winning Scientist or a Politician running for office, or ANY OTHER PERSON???
    [/b][/quote]

Ught Ohhh now you&#39;ve gone and done it&#33; Be prepared for the onslaught.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 14 2004, 01:40 PM
    [b] OK, I have yet to weight in on this one, but I thik I need to:

Why should the punishment for killing a Police Officer be higher or more severe than the punishment for killing, say, a law-abiding Mother of 6 or a Catholic Priest, or a Nobel Winning Scientist or a Politician running for office, or ANY OTHER PERSON??? [/b][/quote]
    Every life has the same value, so this isnt an issue of value.

Every night a police officer goes out and patrols the city, he/she is putting his/her life on the line to make the city better. Nobody is there to protect the P.O. but themself. So I think the killer of a protector should deal with a harsher punishment. These men and women are out there trying to make the city better and trying to protect those who need protection...when someone disrupts this by killing a P.O., they arent just hurting the victim and its family, but a whole community.

If the Mother of 6, or the Priest or anyone else were trying to protect a community when they were killed, then yes, the punishment should be the same as killing a P.O. And P.O. arent the only people, when killed, that the criminal deals with a harsher penatly. The killing of a fireman, an abulance driver, a construction worker, or any city, state, federal employee while working results in a harsher penatly. Why? Because these people are risking their lives to try to make a city better as a whole. Are they the only ones? No, but there lives are at the most risk when they work.

[quote][i]Originally posted by TheBrodyMan+May 14 2004, 04:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (TheBrodyMan @ May 14 2004, 04:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Warfish[/i]@May 14 2004, 01:40 PM

Why should the punishment for killing a Police Officer be higher or more severe than the punishment for killing, say, a law-abiding Mother of 6 or a Catholic Priest, or a Nobel Winning Scientist or a Politician running for office, or ANY OTHER PERSON??? [/b][/quote]

Every night a police officer goes out and patrols the city, he/she is putting his/her life on the line to make the city better. Nobody is there to protect the P.O. but themself. So I think the killer of a protector should deal with a harsher punishment. These men and women are out there trying to make the city better and trying to protect those who need protection...when someone disrupts this by killing a P.O., they arent just hurting the victim and its family, but a whole community.

If the Mother of 6, or the Priest or anyone else were trying to protect a community when they were killed, then yes, the punishment should be the same as killing a P.O. And P.O. arent the only people, when killed, that the criminal deals with a harsher penatly. The killing of a fireman, an abulance driver, a construction worker, or any city, state, federal employee while working results in a harsher penatly. Why? Because these people are risking their lives to try to make a city better as a whole. Are they the only ones? No, but there lives are at the most risk when they work. [/b][/quote]
    In your first line you say every life has the same value....

But in your second paragrph you go one to explain why the P.O.&#39;s life has more value and why the punishment should be harsher.

Does the Priest not work to make the community better?

For that matter, does the Sanatation Worker, Train Engineer, Taxi Driver, or any other regular good-hearted Joe working the daily grind not do their own little bit to help society and the community?

Cops sign up, knowing the dangers involved. The possibillity of death in the line is something every potential Cop should consider before making that choice, the same way Alaskan Fisherman (the most dangerous Job around, with the most per capita deaths per year) should make their choice based on the potential risk vs. the reward (both mental, in helping the community and fiscal, in the pay package).

To imply that killing a Cop in the line somehow means more than the killing of the folks they protect is inappropriate in my opinion and seems to reek of Superiorism.

Everyone will agree that the death of a noble officer in the line of duty, defending the public, is a horrible and sad thing. But to make the punishment Death (as the title of this thread requests) when the punishment for the murder of say, my elderly grandmother, results in only a 2 year sentence (18 months with good behavior) is simply rediculous IMO.

You want harsher penalties, then make them harsher for Murder in General. THAT I can support (Whole Heartedly). But to make a case that only the death of a Cop warrants harsh penlty is offensive to me and should be offensive to anyone who has been the victim of violent crime.

well put warfish.

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish+May 14 2004, 06:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[b]QUOTE[/b] (Warfish @ May 14 2004, 06:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> [quote]Originally posted by -TheBrodyMan@May 14 2004, 04:02 PM
    [b] <!--QuoteBegin--Warfish[/i]@May 14 2004, 01:40 PM

If the Mother of 6, or the Priest or anyone else were trying to protect a community when they were killed, then yes, the punishment should be the same as killing a P.O. And P.O. arent the only people, when killed, that the criminal deals with a harsher penatly. The killing of a fireman, an abulance driver, a construction worker, or any city, state, federal employee while working results in a harsher penatly. Why? Because these people are risking their lives to try to make a city better as a whole. Are they the only ones? No, but there lives are at the most risk when they work. [/b][/quote]
    In your first line you say every life has the same value....

But in your second paragrph you go one to explain why the P.O.&#39;s life has more value and why the punishment should be harsher.

Does the Priest not work to make the community better?

For that matter, does the Sanatation Worker, Train Engineer, Taxi Driver, or any other regular good-hearted Joe working the daily grind not do their own little bit to help society and the community?

Cops sign up, knowing the dangers involved. The possibillity of death in the line is something every potential Cop should consider before making that choice, the same way Alaskan Fisherman (the most dangerous Job around, with the most per capita deaths per year) should make their choice based on the potential risk vs. the reward (both mental, in helping the community and fiscal, in the pay package).

To imply that killing a Cop in the line somehow means more than the killing of the folks they protect is inappropriate in my opinion and seems to reek of Superiorism.

Everyone will agree that the death of a noble officer in the line of duty, defending the public, is a horrible and sad thing. But to make the punishment Death (as the title of this thread requests) when the punishment for the murder of say, my elderly grandmother, results in only a 2 year sentence (18 months with good behavior) is simply rediculous IMO.

You want harsher penalties, then make them harsher for Murder in General. THAT I can support (Whole Heartedly). But to make a case that only the death of a Cop warrants harsh penlty is offensive to me and should be offensive to anyone who has been the victim of violent crime. [/b][/quote]
    When did I say the death of your grandmother should only result in 2 years of imprisonment? In fact, I believe the murder of anyone should result in life in inprisonment at least, and personally I belive murder should result in the death penalty.

You keep trying to twist it as if I am trying to say a cops life is worth more, which I never once say. All I say is that by enforcing stricter penatlies for a cop (along with other city and positions involved with helping the communituy) should result in a much harsher penalty. Yes, every cop knows the risks involved in his/her job, so that means we shouldnt try to protect their rights as well?

Again, you are trying to put words in my mouth by sayinfthe death of your grandmother is only two years. Please, when you make an arugment, dont put words in my mouth...I dont appreciate it just as much you wouldnt. I never said that and I am acutally quite insulted that you insueded I meant that,

I belive murder should be a crime this nation deals with very strictly. But a cop, who is out there trying to protect a city or state or country, deserves a bit of a harsher punishment when they are killed than a regular citizine IMO. If a killer of an ordinairy citizen gets life in pirson, then the killer of a cop deserves the death penalty.

IMO, almost all killers deserve the death penalty, but there is always doubt with that. The killer of a P.O., or most city employees deserve death because they are trying to help the city we live in and we need to protect their lives a little more because of the postionthey are in. Every life is of the same value to me, but when somone puts themselves more at risk, then we must find ways to protect them a little more. That is just my opinion, and I wrote this a little drunk so if the grammar isa little off I apologize. ;)

All League
    On Saturday, May 15th, (which happens to be National Police Memorial Day when the names of every cop killed in the line of duty from the previous year are read during a ceromony on the Capital lawn) P/O Miller from the Tabor City NC Police Department was killed.

He was the passenger in a police car that was pursuing a vehicle when they crashed head on into another car. The other cop and the occupants of the other vehicle were injured.

P/O Miller was sworn in on Friday, May 14th, and began HIS FIRST SHIFT LATER THAT DAY. HE DIED ON HIS FIRST DAY.

[url]www.odmp.org[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [quote][i]Originally posted by Warfish[/i]@May 14 2004, 03:40 PM

Warfish,

I understand your point but it was not my intention to place a police officer&#39;s life higher than others. I concur with you, that the death penalty should cover all types of murders across the board, not just those of police officers.

The reason I wrote that though, which was immediately after 2 Detroit officers were shot down and executed, is that in states like Michigan all that faces these people is life in prision, where they will be paid for with my tax dollars and kept at my tax expense.

I wrote that because it is close to becoming open season on police officers across the country. No offense, but how many other jobs, including your examples of Alaskan King Crab Fisherman, Catholic Priests, Nobel Scientists of mothers of 6 incur walking around with a bullseye on your chest? How many of them require the use of bulletproof vests every single day and a gun on their hip? How many of them had had over 100 killed in a year by hostile action, by people shooting at then, stabbing them, or driving at them solely because of their job title? See my point? People gun for police officers lives just because were police officers. They intend on doing it.

There should be something out there to deal with that specific problem. If states don&#39;t want to allow the death penalty that&#39;s fine, but if criminals continue to know they can shoot at and/or kill police officers with the only punishment being life in a prision where they&#39;ll be treated as a hero for killing a cop then something needs to be done. Right now there is little deterrence, at least here in Michigan.

All League
    51 year old female Lieutenant with the Baton Rouge Police department was shot and killed with her own gun while trying to handcuff a shoplifting suspect, who then shot and wounded a store security guard and customer before fleeing and car-jacking a vehicle to escape the scene. He remains at large.

[url]www.odmp.org[/url]

That makes 60 cops killed in the line of duty so far in 2004