Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN bottom line says"Maddux to sign with Yankees"

Maxman
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 17 2004, 01:01 AM
    ESPN bottom line says"Maddux to sign with Yankees"
    02/16/2004 7:23 PM ET
    Yanks 'not involved' with Maddux
    MLB.com Buy tickets

It looks like Greg Maddux won't be wearing pinstripes.

A Major League Baseball source told the Bergen Record that the Yankees were moving closer to signing the free-agent pitcher, who turned the Yankees down in the winter of 1992 before signing with the Braves.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, though, shot down the report during Monday's conference call with reporters announcing the Alex Rodriguez deal.

"We are not involved with Greg Maddux," Cashman said.

Maddux, who like Rodriguez is represented by agent Scott Boras, reportedly turned down a multi-year offer from the San Francisco Giants over the weekend. And the Chicago Cubs have raised their initial offer to Maddux of $10 million over two years, which was made Jan. 13. Details of the increase were not disclosed.

"I'd like to get something done, make my decision by the middle of next week, since most camps are opening," Maddux said recently. "But even if it's a few days after that, or even a week after that, I don't see it as a big deal. Spring Training is two weeks too long as it is. I've done my work all winter. I think after 20 years in pro ball I know how to get myself ready for a season."

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sports center just said...Just hours after cashman made that statement..."Sources say he will sign with NY and he could be signed by weeks end"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone else have ESPN2?

It says it right in the right hand corner..."Maddux to sign with yankees"

Maxman
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 17 2004, 01:09 AM
    Sports center just said...Just hours after cashman made that statement..."Sources say he will sign with NY and he could be signed by weeks end"
    I do agree I think it is a done deal (The Scott Boras connection can't be overlooked).

But I wonder how much Maddux has left. His ERA was almost 4 last season and that is a run over his lifetime average. He is 37 and he could be done.

But if they do bring him in it will be a lot like Jimmy Key in the 90's. Maddux wouldn't be counted on to be a front line starter so it could work. Get 6 innings, keep the pitch count low and hand it off to the bullpen.

I am still irked by him blowing off the Yankees back in the day (when he was a Cubs free agent).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I blasted him hard in the ohter thread and basically laughed at him for wanting to go to a "winner"in'95

Plus I was excited to see if Leiber can regain his 20W form .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1736923

ESPN.com news services
    The rich in talent might be getting richer still ...

Free-agent pitcher Greg Maddux will sign with the New York Yankees sometime later this week, according to a report on New York's WABC-TV.

The Bergen Record, a New Jersey newspaper, reported that the Yankees have offered Maddux a deal but not that it would be accepted.

Contreras delayed
    ESPN has learned that Yankees pitcher Jose Contreras, who was scheduled to report with the rest of the team's pitchers and catchers Tuesday, will not be able to report until later in the week because of visa issues, according to a source close to Contreras.

Contreras, slated for a spot in New York's starting rotation, is in Nicaragua, where he acquired residency status after defecting from Cuba more than a year ago.
    Earlier in the day, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman denied any interest in Maddux during a conference call announcing the megadeal for shortstop Alex Rodriguez.

"We are not involved with Greg Maddux," Cashman said at the time.

Maddux turned down a New York offer in 1992 before signing with the Atlanta Braves.

The news from what the Record called "a Major League Baseball source" came despite reports Sunday that the Chicago Cubs were nearing a deal with the perennial All-Star right-hander.

The Cubs reportedly raised their initial offer of two years at $10 million (combined) to more like the $14 million to $15 million range.

There is no word yet on how much the Yankees offered.

Maddux is said to have rejected a multiyear offer from the San Francisco Giants but was said by some to be considering the Los Angeles Dodgers as well as the Cubs. Others said he already had pushed away feelers by the Dodgers and the St. Louis Cardinals.

However, all that wooing appears to have been to no avail.

Maddux, who turns 38 in April, is second among active pitchers with 289 wins, 21 behind Roger Clemens. He's 289-163 with a 2.89 ERA in his 18-year career, and has won 15 or more games in a record 16 straight seasons.

He has pitched in nine division series, eight league championship series and three World Series. Maddux was 16-11 last season, but his ERA of 3.96 was his highest since 1987, his second year in the majors.

Information from The Associated

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ESPN2 is all over the story right now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like maddux...i never have...I doub't he can win me over ...

Im all for a guy looking to play with a contender...but after tha yankees got A-Rod i woundn't have went to NY.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    can never have too much pitching, especially with the unknowns in the rotation

would have liked to seen a lefty however

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the Empire Strikes Back ..... again! :lol:

Is there any question now, that this clearly pushes the edge in overall talent the Yankees way? I'd like to hear all the Red Sox homers try to argue otherwise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GreenGiant 32@Feb 17 2004, 09:56 AM
    And the Empire Strikes Back ..... again! :lol:

Is there any question now, that this clearly pushes the edge in overall talent the Yankees way? I'd like to hear all the Red Sox homers try to argue otherwise.
    You get no argument from me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I really don't care about this too much...well, a little, but I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it...

Anyway, is it me or does it seem that EVRYONE involved in Sports - from management, to owners, to players, to Reporters, to steroid dealers - are absolute liars! Liars! Does EVERYONE talk out of both sides of their mouths or what? Lucchino - liar. A-Rod - liar. Cashman - Liar. Nomar - liar. All agents - all liars.

Just once I'd like someone to tell it like it is....really is, (I'm not talking Sapp type comments either- he's just pushing his own agenda by being "shocking") I mean just tell me straight up what's going on or say nothing at all.

Brenjetsfan
    Originally posted by Garbanza@Feb 17 2004, 11:12 AM

Just once I'd like someone to tell it like it is....really is, (I'm not talking Sapp type comments either- he's just pushing his own agenda by being "shocking") I mean just tell me straight up what's going on or say nothing at all.
    RUMORS RUMORS RUMORS.....spreading like cancer in the sporting world.....I will tell you something sweetie....the YANKEES have the HOTTEST players in the WORLD! I am not just talking BATS either!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the Yankees starting rotation, with or without Maddux? I honestly can't keep track....

They have Vasquez, Contreras, Kevin Brown, John Lieber and who else?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by jets5ever@Feb 17 2004, 11:15 AM
    What is the Yankees starting rotation, with or without Maddux? I honestly can't keep track....

They have Vasquez, Contreras, Kevin Brown, John Lieber and who else?
    Mussina. Last I checked he could pitch a little bit. When they land Maddux (notice I no longer use 'ifs' with the yanks) then you should look to Contreras, or maybe Leiber if his recovery is not great, moving to the bullpen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Garbanza@Feb 17 2004, 11:12 AM
    Honestly, I really don't care about this too much...well, a little, but I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it...

Anyway, is it me or does it seem that EVRYONE involved in Sports - from management, to owners, to players, to Reporters, to steroid dealers - are absolute liars! Liars! Does EVERYONE talk out of both sides of their mouths or what? Lucchino - liar. A-Rod - liar. Cashman - Liar. Nomar - liar. All agents - all liars.

There are very few players who will tell it like it is.

Schilling is one of them. Very upfront and honest. It is gonna be interesting to see how Pedro, Manny and Schilling get along. The same way it will be interesting to see how Jeter, A-Rod and George will get along.

It is going to be a very intersting summer

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Schilling does speak his mind, and doesn't pull any punches. The BoSox clubhouse could be a real comedy show all season long. Pedro, Nomar, Schilling and Manny, for starters. Then I wonder if Keith Foulke struggles without R. Peterson as his pitching coach, etc.

Should be fun.