Thread: Two Detroit Police Officers Killed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    DETROIT (AP) - A motorist pulled over in the middle of the night for a seemingly routine traffic stop got out of his truck and pumped several bullets into the two police officers who stopped him, killing them both, police said.

Officers Jennifer Fettig, 26, and Matthew Bowens, 21, were shot about 2 a.m. Monday, becoming the 18th and 19th Detroit officers killed in the line of duty since 1990.

Police used the suspect's driver's license, found in the police cruiser, to arrest Eric L. Marshall, 23, later Monday at his home. The unemployed Detroit man was likely to be arraigned Tuesday, Chief Ella Bully-Cummings said.

The traffic stop had not been called in to police dispatchers. "We don't know what they stopped him for. It's hard to say," said Cmdr. Craig Schwartz of the Major Crimes Division.

After making the stop, Bowens and Fettig returned to their cruiser with Marshall's license. The suspect got out of the pickup truck, approached the officers' car and shot Fettig twice, at least once in the head, Schwartz said.

The suspect ran away while Bowens got out of the cruiser and radioed for backup. The suspect returned and shot Bowens nine times before taking the officer's weapon and driving away, Schwartz said.

At least 22 empty shell casings were found at the scene. Neither officer was able to return fire, Schwartz said.

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said Bowens' family noted he wanted to an officer for as long as they could remember. Bowens, who was married, joined the department in December 2000.

"This is the only thing he wanted to do with his life," Kilpatrick said.

Fettig joined in October 2001 and was engaged to another Detroit officer.

Police Cmdr. Charles Barbieri said he knew Bowens and Fettig when they were rookies. "This is very personal," Barbieri said. "Two officers getting shot in the street in the middle of the night. And for what?"

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay safe GOB!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that guy should be pumped w/22 rounds......I come from a family on Police Officer's and to hear something like this is just SICKENING!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....and the minority "community" wonders why NYC Housing police officers carry their weapons unholstered as they check building roof tops. All you cops out there, please protect yourself first. It's too dangerous a world out there. Liberals could care less about you. Do not let these second guessers cause you to hesitate. Protect yourself first. Go home to your families after your tour.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad the 'suspect' wasn't found with multiple self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the head in an 'apparent' suicide.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is truly a sad day for law enforcement and especially for us here in the Metro Detroit area.

This dirtbag came out in court today and called it ' a mistake'.

I created another thread on the Off-Topics page regarding this incident.

If you have the time, go by [url=http://www.odmp.org]http://www.odmp.org[/url] and leave a good word.

Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria[/i]@Feb 17 2004, 03:08 PM
    [b] This is truly a sad day for law enforcement and especially for us here in the Metro Detroit area.

[/b][/quote]

I think alot of us take for granted what police officers do.

Every day they go to work they are basically "putting their life on the line".

Two young people senslessly killed because some idiot made a "mistake".

One shot may be a mistake, 22 was intent and not a mistake.

Fry him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is just so sad!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read about this in CNN.com and its so f'ed up. This guy should be lined up on a wall in front of a firing range....scumbag motherfu**er....

LL

Hey GOB...be careful out there!

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate reading this and the worst part there won`t be hardly any public outcry for the cops over this especially in out of state papers ,maybe buried in a small 7 line article on page 34 between the foodtown sales and travel offers yet when a cop protects himself against something like this and he kills the guy in self defense ,it`s front page news and the first story on every news station in the country looking to lock the cop up before he can plead his case, IT`S a tough life being a police officer ...And to think their having the SB next year in this dump./...If the JETS get in i`m staying in CHICAGO AND flying over for the day of the game..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by joiseyjet[/i]@Feb 17 2004, 05:24 PM
    [b] I hate reading this and the worst part there won`t be hardly any public outcry for the cops over this especially in out of state papers ,maybe buried in a small 7 line article on page 34 between the foodtown sales and travel offers yet when a cop protects himself against something like this and he kills the guy in self defense ,it`s front page news and the first story on every news station in the country looking to lock the cop up before he can plead his case, IT`S a tough life being a police officer ...And to think their having the SB next year in this dump./...If the JETS get in i`m staying in CHICAGO AND flying over for the day of the game.. [/b][/quote]
    Very true, I didnt see it in the NJ Star-Ledger, which is typical.

As I said on earlier threads, without [url]www.odmp.org[/url] (which stands for officer down memorial page) I wouldnt hear about any police line of duty deaths.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote][i]Originally posted by nightranger[/i]@Feb 17 2004, 12:48 PM
    [b] ....and the minority "community" wonders why NYC Housing police officers carry their weapons unholstered as they check building roof tops. All you cops out there, please protect yourself first. It's too dangerous a world out there. Liberals could care less about you. Do not let these second guessers cause you to hesitate. Protect yourself first. Go home to your families after your tour. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks Nightranger

"better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Police officers aren't the only ones getting killed in the line of duty in Detroit.

When I say it's like the wild west down there I'm not lying.

[url=http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm18518_20040218.htm]http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm185...18_20040218.htm[/url]

Police search for killers of armored car guard

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

BY BEN SCHMITT
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Police are searching for two armed men who shot and killed an armored car guard early today and critically wounded a second guard in a Comerica Bank parking lot in northeast Detroit.

A father of four, Gerald Kikos, 36, of Eastpointe, was killed as he and his partner loaded bank receipts from an ATM machine. Tommie Scott, 29, of Detroit, is in critical condition at St. John Hospital in Detroit suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

A suspect wearing a ski mask ambushed the two guards outside of the bank on Gratiot, near Eight Mile, at 3:25 a.m.. At least 25 shells from a .223 caliber rifle were found in the bank parking lot and on the sidewalk, police said.

Police said they suspect a second gunman stood at the corner of Mohican and Edmore - just behind the bank - and also fired at the guards because more of the same type of shell casings were found at that location.

Kikos was armed but never fired a shot, police said.

The gunman also shot at the driver of the Guardian Armored Security truck, but the rifle rounds did not penetrate the windshield, police said. The driver of the armored truck fled the scene - per standard procedure - and was not injured.

Police said the suspects fled in a stolen white Dodge Ram van, traveling on Mohican, behind the bank, to Collingham. The van was ditched at Collingham and Hoyt, several blocks away. Police found binoculars and a money bag inside the van. The van had been reported stolen from a Roseville plumbing company.

Detroit Police Cmdr. Craig Schwartz said the guards did not have any money, only bank receipts, and the suspect got no money.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    All that fire power and the wanton disregard for human life, and the friggin bastards werent even smart enough to rob an armored car that actually had money?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Officers Bowen and Fettig were laid to rest today. Their joint memorial service was attended by close to 4000 police officers from Michigan, neighboring states and Canada. It was a magnificent site to see, and clearly reflects the brotherhood that I belong to. There were so many officers there that officers lined both sides of the road for a mile for the Officers' procession. Officer Fettig's mother drew sustained applause when she advocated the death penalty for cop killers.