Thread: Hey Yankee fans......

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

after all these years finally won you over.

There is great amount of good will for this guy lately....and he does whatever it takes to win.

Best owner in sports in my book!!

Yes he has...But he won me over a while back.

Originally posted by JonEJet@Feb 17 2004, 12:48 PM
    after all these years finally won you over.

There is great amount of good will for this guy lately....and he does whatever it takes to win.

Best owner in sports in my book!!
    Never did I not have faith in George. I've always liked him even in the bad days. George does one thing that bothers me though and it isn't his offseason moves. George has a tendency to meddle in the team DURING the season. Last year he gave Jeter, Torre, Zimmer, and Stottlemeyer a ton of headaches. He very easily could have put a huge rift among the team had he not finally backed down a little. I do foresee alot more of it this coming year though so it remains to be seen. IMO, George and his attitude is the largest factor that can destroy the team.

In spite of all the bad that is attributed to George, such as the Spira/Winfield incident, the suspensions, the weird manager moves, especially with Martin, etc. he does 1 thing that makes you really pull for him. He plows back his profits into the team. and keeps on growing the value of them. He paid $10 million for the Yankees, he can easily get over 1 billion for them.

Bottom line - he wants to win. Not many Baseball owners around who are like that. Carl Pohlard is worth over $1.5 Billion, and owns the Twins free and clear. He still won't increase the payroll. Cheap guys like him are what makes me appreciate George all the more.

Hall Of Fame
    Cashman should be getting more props. You are all quick to congratulate George on the ARod deal, when it was Cashman that was really behind it. GJ&H probably still has his gums round George's plums right now. George has the wallet, but Cashman does the deals.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally posted by ScottishJet@Feb 17 2004, 03:58 PM
    Cashman should be getting more props. You are all quick to congratulate George on the ARod deal, when it was Cashman that was really behind it. GJ&H probably still has his gums round George's plums right now. George has the wallet, but Cashman does the deals.
    SJ

This thread was intended for Yankee fans to answer.

Glad to see you ahve seen the light...and come over to where you favorite teams play..NEW YORK BABY!!

Originally posted by mbn007@Feb 17 2004, 06:32 PM
    Bottom line - he wants to win. Not many Baseball owners around who are like that. Carl Pohlard is worth over $1.5 Billion, and owns the Twins free and clear. He still won't increase the payroll. Cheap guys like him are what makes me appreciate George all the more.
    Here is the common misconception.

In 2001 (last year MLB released figures) Polhad spent 53% of the Twins gross revenue on player payroll (30 out of 56). By comparison, George spent 48% (117 of 242). Acording to MLB, the Twins lost 18 million that year after all expenses were deducted.

This past season the Twins spent 65 million on payroll and received 21 million in support. If he had losses of 18 million with a 30 million salary, that projects to 32 million in losses with a 65 (-18+(35-21).

Answer this honestly mbn. Your worth 1.5 billion, would you spend money out of your pocket to try and equal the Yanks? If he did he would only be a billionare for 11 years before he was broke.

Polhad has subsidized the team to a point, but it would be foolish for him to try and compete evenly with the Yanks.

On the other hand, if George was owner of the Sox and he is grossing only 176 million, with a profit of 2 million, do you see him spending another 75 million to compete with the Yanks? Or in KC with generated revenue of 63 million and a loss of 16 million?

No, f'ing way. George does spend the money his team makes, unlike Jeremy Jacobs of the Bruins, and you should be thankful. Just do not make him out to like he is falling on his sword for the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JonEJet+Feb 17 2004, 04:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JonEJet @ Feb 17 2004, 04:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ScottishJet@Feb 17 2004, 03:58 PM
    Cashman should be getting more props. You are all quick to congratulate George on the ARod deal, when it was Cashman that was really behind it. GJ&H probably still has his gums round George&#39;s plums right now. George has the wallet, but Cashman does the deals.
    SJ

This thread was intended for Yankee fans to answer.

Glad to see you ahve seen the light...and come over to where you favorite teams play..NEW YORK BABY&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    I have been a Jets fan long before being a Red Sox fan, but I can&#39;t jump ship. I know of a couple of guys who have done so and I find it incredibly weak. I&#39;m too loyal for my own good.

You sound like Vader trying to tempt me to the Dark Side. I&#39;ll just continue to be rebel scum&#33; :lol: