Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things that can go very wrong for the Yanks

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off, it is well documented that a team with alot of superstars usually don't do as well as people think they will. Now this case is different because they are all superstars, so it will remain to be seen.

Problems:

1. A-Rod and Jeter's relationship. These guys have not been best of friends lately. Jeter was miffed by a comment A-Rod made a couple years ago about Jeter not being in the elite category of SS's.

2. Steinbrenner. If this team loses more than 2 games in a row at any time, George is gonna throw a fit. He's going to be all over Torre which as we all know they don't get along well.

3. If Jeter goes into a slump, how long before George tells Torre to move Jeter out of SS.

4. And we all know that Torre will not listen to George because he feels that Jeter and Bernie Williams are both key parts of the reason Torre will go to the HOF as a coach. Torre is extremely loyal to 'his guys'.

5. Which leads up to the idea, will George fire Torre before the end of the season?? The idea is not as unrealistic as you mught think. George is gonna put alot of heat on this team.

6. If A-Rod does in fact move jeter out of short, how does this affect the whole team? Jeter is the captain and the heart and soul of this team, and it will be tough for him to convey himself as a leader if he gets knocked out of his position.

7. Pitching. On paper, the Yanks have some incredible pitching. However, Brown is one back spasm away from the DL. Vasquez is probably the most talented pitcher on the team, but how will he hold up under the big spotlight. Mussina has been great but it seems to me his pitching level goes down in the playoffs. Can Contreras finally assume that starting role and be dominant? Which G Maddox are they gonna end up with?? The superstar dominant one or the old and less effective one of last year.

8. George. I know I've already mentioned him, but he deserves mentioning again. This team cannot afford to lose too many games in a row. We all know how George likes to meddle in the team if this team loses more than 2 games in a row at any given time, all hell is going to break lose. How will a locker room of superstars handle this?? these are all guys that are used to being the pampered player on a team where they are the best. Giambi is god in OAK's locker room. He is a meer player in the Yanks locker. Sheffield is the star of ATL's lineup. He may not even be in the top 3 hitters in the Yankee lineup. How will these players respond when the heat is on them, when in the past they would be coddled?? Personally, if one of them will blow, it is Sheffield. he has had bad relationships in the past and I honestly can see him clashing heads with George real soon.

Bottom line, this team has a long hard road ahead of it. If thy fail, they will go down as being the most colossal sports failure of all time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Booz - A case in point is the the Lakers. Everything was fine until a little hiccup happened in the form of injuries and then all the harminous crap went out the window. They are *****ing at Shaq. Kobie. Phil.

I think Torre can handle it. He has the last several years, but it will be a test.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing to go very wrong will be them winning 118 instead of 120.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    All it takes is Giambi's steroid knee injury to flare up again, Kevin Brown to go back home aka Injured list and Jeter getting moved from SS to 3b or 2b. Once jeter is moved, watch out because all hell will break loose...

The story is about to get good.

I can definately see all of the above at some point this year...

Torre fired...no way, george would suffer such a pr hit from fans

LL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im worried that now with ARod..Sheffield will feel like he doesn't have to produce as much...there is not as much pressuse on him now...Will that hurt his production?...i don't know.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also...what happens if Jeter slumps...the NY media will be all over him....You know damn well they will say anything possible to cause a "riff" bewtween the 2...just to sell papers...

Maxman
    Jeter and AROD don't have to be best friends for the Yankees to win the WS. The Yankees told Boras this can happen if AROD plays 3B. This is a done deal. Jeter is not moving anywhere in the middle of the season. I am sure it can be re-evaluated down the road but not during the middle of the year. Jeter is not build to play 3B.

I know Boozer is playing Devil's Advocate here and I understand it...nothing is a lock in sports. But there are a lot of things that can go right:

1. The offense can be one of the greatest of All Time.
    2. The pen can be lights out.
    3. Jose C can emerge as a very talented starting pitcher.
    4. Lieber could regain his 20 game form.
    5. Bernie Williams can bounce back from an off year (he reported early and in great shape).

Like Scottish said even if things go wrong this team will win a lot of regular season games. It comes down to the starting pitchers being healthy come October.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much with these 3 leading the way!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me the 'pen is as solid as anyones, and the closer is the best. The lineup is the best, and the defense will be better with Wilson everyday at 2B, and A-Rod at 3B. The OF defense is adequate at best, but this team can flat out hit. SHeffield will be pumped, because to stand out as a hitter in this lineup will really get you some recognition.

Unless the starters all get hurt, this team should winn in the 110-120 area. They should trump either the BoSox or Toronto by 20 games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know we all are enjoying taking are shots at the Sox and the Scapegoat Nation right now but Booze is right. There is alot of things about this team that makes me uncomfortable going into the season.

1) George-Arod-Jeter : I said this in some earlier threads that this has the makings of making Reggie, George, Billy look like Sesame Street and it will be interesting when the rumblings about moving A-Rod to SS and the Jeter to 3B start. (The rumblings will come to.).

2) Starting pitching: I can live without Clemens, Wells and DreamWeaver but the Yankees will rue the day the let Pettitte go to Houston. Probably sometime in September in Fenway with the Sox breathing down their necks. Leiber has not pitched in over a year. Contreras continues to be a question mark. Mussina, Vazquez and Brown should be solid though.

3) The clubhouse: Alot of people like to poo-poo this but now what had been a great clubhouse with leaders clearly defined in the past has now become a clubhouse with old guard Yankees (Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mariano) and the new guard. (Giambi, Brown, Lofton, Sheffield). It will be interesting to see how guys like Brown and Lofton react when the heat is really put on them.

4) The Boss. As long as this team wins everyone will be fine. If they start slow or get bombed in a series it will be interesting to see how he reacts, especially with a manager in the last year of his contract, (Most likely not to come back in 05).

April can't get here fast enough for me

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The steroids. This is a huge story that will not go away soon. Two Yankees have now been named in these proceedings. If they are formally accused it will be a huge distraction!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by shawn306@Feb 17 2004, 06:01 PM
    I know we all are enjoying taking are shots at the Sox and the Scapegoat Nation right now but Booze is right. There is alot of things about this team that makes me uncomfortable going into the season.

1) George-Arod-Jeter : I said this in some earlier threads that this has the makings of making Reggie, George, Billy look like Sesame Street and it will be interesting when the rumblings about moving A-Rod to SS and the Jeter to 3B start. (The rumblings will come to.).

2) Starting pitching: I can live without Clemens, Wells and DreamWeaver but the Yankees will rue the day the let Pettitte go to Houston. Probably sometime in September in Fenway with the Sox breathing down their necks. Leiber has not pitched in over a year. Contreras continues to be a question mark. Mussina, Vazquez and Brown should be solid though.

3) The clubhouse: Alot of people like to poo-poo this but now what had been a great clubhouse with leaders clearly defined in the past has now become a clubhouse with old guard Yankees (Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mariano) and the new guard. (Giambi, Brown, Lofton, Sheffield). It will be interesting to see how guys like Brown and Lofton react when the heat is really put on them.

4) The Boss. As long as this team wins everyone will be fine. If they start slow or get bombed in a series it will be interesting to see how he reacts, especially with a manager in the last year of his contract, (Most likely not to come back in 05).

April can't get here fast enough for me
    Exactly. Like I said, here are the variables:

1. K Brown's back
    2. Giambi's knee
    3. A-Rod/Jeter controversy. mark my words there will be rumblings throughout the year. The press will always try to make it a hot story)
    4. Lieber has missed a full season. No guarantees at all with him.
    5. Vasquez being able to pitch in the limelight.
    6. Contreras showing intestinal fortitude. Did anyone notice last post season that when Contreras was on, he was lights out. But when he got in a little trouble, he just came totally undone. He needs to grow thicker skin.
    7. K Lofton/B Williams. Though this will not be nearly as big as AROD/Jeter, if Bernie's range diminishes even more or gets injured, Lofton may make his claim for CF.
    8. Sheffield. The guy has shown a propensity to be a locker room distraction. To his credit he was great in ATL on the field and in the locker, but how does he react to Steinbrenner ripping into him via the press if he slumps.
    9. Steinbrenner. I don't think I need to go into this one.

That's 9 things off the top of my head that could go severely wrong. I believe in Murphy's law and I do feel we are going to experience at least 3 of those bad things to happen. It's just inevitable. But some of the above are crucial, whereas some we could certainly get through. Time will tell.

Brenjetsfan
    Originally posted by JonEJet@Feb 17 2004, 05:23 PM

double my pleasere..arod-n-jeter remind me of NYRICAN -n-BRO....lol...SO HOT HOT HOT

The Yankees are sooooooooooooo great THAT they are the only team in BB that does not need their name on their JERSEY's.........

Can't wait.....JonE I will come to the Tampa game let me know

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Brenjetsfan+Feb 19 2004, 07:03 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brenjetsfan @ Feb 19 2004, 07:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet@Feb 17 2004, 05:23 PM
    Not much with these 3 leading the way&#33;&#33;

double my pleasere..arod-n-jeter remind me of NYRICAN -n-BRO....lol...SO HOT HOT HOT

The Yankees are sooooooooooooo great THAT they are the only team in BB that does not need their name on their JERSEY&#39;s.........

Can&#39;t wait.....JonE I will come to the Tampa game let me know [/b][/quote]
    Bren: ENOUGH. Derek and A-Rod are mine, remember? You got Jason&#33;&#33;&#33;

Stop hogging all the men&#33;&#33;&#33; There&#39;s no sharing in baseball.

You goin&#39; to Spring Training?

TomShane
    Originally posted by Gang Green Girl+Feb 19 2004, 11:15 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gang Green Girl @ Feb 19 2004, 11:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Brenjetsfan@Feb 19 2004, 07:03 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet
    @Feb 17 2004, 05:23 PM

The Yankees are sooooooooooooo great THAT they are the only team in BB that does not need their name on their JERSEY&#39;s.........

Can&#39;t wait.....JonE I will come to the Tampa game let me know

You goin&#39; to Spring Training? [/b][/quote]
    I heard that Mariah gave Derek HERPES and that ARod came up with a strange case of genital warts. Just a rumor, mind you.

3G, I love you. Stop messing with these herpetic shortstops immediately&#33;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane+Feb 19 2004, 10:24 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Feb 19 2004, 10:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Gang Green Girl@Feb 19 2004, 11:15 AM
    Originally posted by -Brenjetsfan@Feb 19 2004, 07:03 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--JonEJet
    @Feb 17 2004, 05:23 PM

Can&#39;t wait.....JonE I will come to the Tampa game let me know

You goin&#39; to Spring Training?
    I heard that Mariah gave Derek HERPES and that ARod came up with a strange case of genital warts. Just a rumor, mind you.

3G, I love you. Stop messing with these herpetic shortstops immediately&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Mariah--I still don&#39;t get this one. What was my Derek thinking?

I&#39;m not much of a risktaker, but in this case I think I&#39;d roll the dice. After all, Tom, since I can&#39;t have you, I have to settle for SS and 3B&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Maxman
    I heard that AROD and DJ can turn a mean double play.

TomShane
    Originally posted by Maxman@Feb 19 2004, 11:36 AM
    Somebody should ask Joy Enriquez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TomShane+Feb 19 2004, 10:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomShane @ Feb 19 2004, 10:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maxman@Feb 19 2004, 11:36 AM
    Somebody should ask Joy Enriquez. [/b][/quote]
    The only duo who could outshine Derek and A-Rod is Max and Tom&#33;&#33;&#33;