View Poll Results: What should they do:

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let WilsonCairo battle it out in camp?

3 37.50%
  • Give the job to the Cuban SB champ Yobal Duenas?

1 12.50%
  • Leave the position empty and sign Nomar next year?

4 50.00%

Thread: Yankees Have a Glaring Hole

Maxman
    Seriosuly though I am curious to see what this guy from Cuba can do. They need a # 8 or 9 hitter who can field and plays fundamental baseball. Turn the DP, drop a sac bunt every know and then and not make mistakes.

I will say this....Eric Almonte is not a 2B. He should be traded immediately.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman@Feb 17 2004, 04:18 PM
    I will say this....Eric Almonte is not a 2B. He should be traded immediately.
    Max, this one really has me baffled ... the Yankees are calling Cairo/Wilson the frunt-runners, but this kid has a much higher upside

Almonte HAS played 2B ... he is familiar with the position ... and he did a nice job filling in for an injured DJ last year at SS

IMO, this kid has earned a shot at the 2B Job ... make it his job to lose ... with this lethal lineup we're tossing out there, WE HAVE THAT LUXURY

Having said that, do not discount the sleeper here ... GJ&H's Sleeper ... Homer Bush

Torre and the Yankees really liked this kid when he came up as a Yankee ... he was like a little brother in the clubhouse ... when dealt to the Blue Jays he hit .300 and stole 20 or 30 Bases ... really made a nice impression as a STARTER at 2B ... then a severe injury pretty much wrecked his career and forced him into an early retirement

The Yankees have quitely signed Homer Bush to a minimum contract ... if healthy, this player can easily emerge as the STARTING 2B and be a pleasant surprise

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They&#39;ll probably trade for Jeff Kent before the season opens. <_<

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are forgetting the return of Homer Bush&#33;&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Rockaway Mike@Feb 17 2004, 07:46 PM
    You are forgetting the return of Homer Bush&#33;&#33;
    RM, read my post above ... HB is my sleeper

Let&#39;s hope he&#39;s healthy ... could be a very shrewd move by the Yankees

Maxman
    GJ&H: You are right about Homer Bush. He has a good shot. He can field and he can run. If he can hit at least .230 the job is his. Seriously he can bat 9th. That would make me happy if he won it.

They seem to be high on Cairo. I think they want Wilson to remain a utility guy.

I disagree about Almonte though. I really don&#39;t think he is the type of player that they need at 2B. I really envision a slap hitting, slick fielding solid fundamental guy. Almonte&#39;s glove scares me.

The more I think about it the more I realize you are right about Homer. That would be a real nice story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    GJ&H;

I&#39;m with you. Homer Bush can field and run. He can lay down a bunt, and he&#39;s a good guy in the clubhouse. If he gets a legit shot, he might win the job.

That said, in spite of the fact that Torre said Wilson is ahead at this point, I hope Cairo gets it if Bush loses. Cairo is also a decent fielder, and handles the bat well, based yupon an interview that I heard on ESPN yesterday. WIlson&#39;s value is that he fills in for a few days anywhere in the inf., but as an everyday guy, I&#39;m not sure he can handle the job. He didn&#39;t distinguish himself in Pittsburgh when he was handed the job a few years ago.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read so many newspapers that I can&#39;t remember which ... think it was the NY Post ... but there was a blurb I found interesting

"Right now Wilson is considered the favorite, but Torre is intrigued by Homer Bush"

Maxman
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham@Feb 18 2004, 10:15 AM
    I just read so many newspapers that I can&#39;t remember which ... think it was the NY Post ... but there was a blurb I found interesting

"Right now Wilson is considered the favorite, but Torre is intrigued by Homer Bush"
    Torre is intrigued by Bush.

Keep posting that and you are going to get the man in trouble at home. LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 18 2004, 12:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Feb 18 2004, 12:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Green Jets & Ham@Feb 18 2004, 10:15 AM

Torre is intrigued by Bush.

Keep posting that and you are going to get the man in trouble at home. LOL. [/b][/quote]
    It may never happen, but it would be something if on a team of superstars and highly paid players, Homer Bush and his minimal contract make a major impact on the Yankees play this season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yankees do have a bigggggg hole, and its their shaky pitching staff.

Bullpen is depleted, theres only 1 legit closer, and they Yankees has no relievers that are good and even the starters are shaky.

Who saids Brown will be fully healthy, which he never is.

Contreras has shown little.

Vasquez is a good young pitcher, but he can crack under the New York pressure.

Mussina is your ace, he&#39;s a good pitcher, but he&#39;s more of a #2 or #3 pitcher then a number #1.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    52 Jose Contreras
    36 Tom Gordon
    45 Felix Heredia
    31 Steve Karsay
    26 Jon Lieber

38 Bret Prinz
    46 Paul Quantrill
    42 Mariano Rivera
    23 Javier Vazquez

Gordon,Karsay,quantrill are all great in relief....our BP isn&#39;t that bad.

Maxman
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@Feb 18 2004, 04:43 PM
    Bullpen is depleted, theres only 1 legit closer, and they Yankees has no relievers that are good and even the starters are shaky.
    Yeah the bullpen is depleted. This might be the worst smack attempt I have ever read. Tell me what team in MLB has a better bullpen?

Rivera (Best post season closer of all time)
    Tom Gordon
    Paul Quantril
    Gabe White
    Felix Heredia

The best closer out there. 2 lefties, 2 righties. How is that depleted?

Maybe at the trading deadline they can pick up John Franco, then they will certainly be stocked for sure.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    White got released.

Maxman
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 18 2004, 05:31 PM
    White got released.
    Smiz:
    They didn&#39;t pick up his option but they did agree to arbitration in December and it was settled about 2 weeks ago. He will be a situational lefty.

Personally I like him, but Torre has to figure out how to get him regular work and keep him sharp.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet...we can use him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JetsD-Mastermind@Feb 18 2004, 03:43 PM
    Mussina is your ace, he&#39;s a good pitcher, but he&#39;s more of a #2 or #3 pitcher then a number #1.
    Wow&#33; :o Mussina would be the ACE on most pitching staffs in the league&#33;

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 18 2004, 05:02 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Feb 18 2004, 05:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy@Feb 18 2004, 05:31 PM
    White got released.
    Smiz:
    They didn&#39;t pick up his option but they did agree to arbitration in December and it was settled about 2 weeks ago. He will be a situational lefty. [/b][/quote]
    Actually the arbitration hearing never took place ... and never will

The Yankees and Gabe White just agreed to terms on a one year deal with a mutual option for a second year ... thus arbitration has been avoided

Info provided by Yankees.com

Maxman
    Originally posted by Green Jets & Ham+Feb 18 2004, 08:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Green Jets & Ham @ Feb 18 2004, 08:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Maxman@Feb 18 2004, 05:02 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Smizzy
    @Feb 18 2004, 05:31 PM
    White got released.

Smiz:
    They didn&#39;t pick up his option but they did agree to arbitration in December and it was settled about 2 weeks ago. He will be a situational lefty.
    Actually the arbitration hearing never took place ... and never will

The Yankees and Gabe White just agreed to terms on a one year deal with a mutual option for a second year ... thus arbitration has been avoided

Info provided by Yankees.com [/b][/quote]
    I just saw that as well. Thanks for the update.