Thread: MVP Baseball 04

I was a huge fan of Triple Play Baseball,so when EA canned it for MVP baseball i figured it would be maddenesque...it wasn't..although it has amazing graphics and great game control...it lacked substance.

This years is different...The have gone and made it they it was ment to be.

*Edit Players & Change Position
    This year, jersey numbers, position, ratings, and equipment can be edited for all players. (Name, appearance, and age are also editable for non-MLB players.) You can use the edit player feature to change just about everything you want for any given player, including his position (like a catcher who now plays 1st base); we also have secondary positions for every player.

*Minor League Teams
    MVP Baseball 2004 boasts an Official Minor League license, and you can actually play as those teams in Play Now, Exhibition and Dynasty Mode play. The minor leagues feature correct season lengths, standings, and playoff formats for all AAA and AA leagues (Pacific Coast, International, Southern, Eastern, Texas) and split-season in Southern and Texas Leagues. Full minor league stats are kept at all levels, but only for one season at a time.

*All-New Hitting with Pure Swing System
    The Pure Swing System is made up of MANY different components to determine not only hit contact quality but whether or not you will make contact at all. Its all about hitting the ball where its pitched as opposed to directing a hit or lining up a cursor.

Hitting this year is far deeper and more challenging than ever before and consists of four (not just three) skill levels. In addition to making the All-Star level more difficult in 2004, we added a level above All-Star called MVP. Of course there are many sliders so you can make just about anything in the game fit your needs. Find out more about Pure Swing in "What's New-Part II".

*Various Weather Conditions
    There will be rainouts and re-scheduled double-headers in Dynasty Mode (through the sim engine), but you will have the ability to turn rainouts off in the options of Dynasty Mode if you so desire. There are no snow outs this year, but you will be able to change the wind speed and direction for games in Exhibition and Play Now.

*Improved Pitcher Stamina and Rotation
    The stamina and early pitcher sub system is much more elaborate for 2004, thanks mainly to the addition to mound visits and pitcher warm ups. The logic is very solid and differs from pitcher to pitcher, meaning Pedro will be allowed to go much deeper into games than say Joe Number 5 Starter.

*Manage-Only Mode / Generated Pitch Counts
    Manage each at-bat and perform substitutions, hit and runs, steals etc. while the game unfolds. We've included this as a Manager Mode, a separate mode unto itself, and incorporated it into Dynasty Mode. This is also available for all of your minor league teams as well. This year, you can sim a few innings, intervene and jump right into the game and play a few innings, jump back out and manage a few innings. Its a great way to get through even more games in Dynasty Mode while keeping a macro level of control over your team, their strategies and the results.

*Behind the Plate Pop-Ups
    MVP Baseball 2004 has an infinite number of hit types. Pop-ups behind the plate are just one type, there are also fouls straight back, and so on, and so on

*Homerun/Ground Rule Double Calls
    One of the first things we fixed this year was the homerun/ground rule double problem, so balls hitting the foul pole will no longer be called ground rule doubles.

*Better Bunting
    Bunting has been overhauled this year. The batter wont always get thrown out by the pitcher (unless you bunt it right back to him) but you should watch out for the charging 1st and 3rd basemen.

***A More Complete Game
    If there is one thing that really jumps out, its how much this years game really plays like baseball. Dropped third strikes, check swings (with contact, varying degrees and appeals), wild pitches, passed balls. MVP Baseball 2004 has all of the little things that add up to a great playing game of baseball.

EA Link.

Hall Of Fame
    Don't forget the best part.....it's online capable.

Online baseball league in our future?

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria@Feb 21 2004, 12:50 AM
    Don't forget the best part.....it's online capable.

Online baseball league in our future?
    Aye but aren't guys only PS2 players? Some of us have an Xbox.

I can smell a online league.....I have PS2....

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by Smizzy@Feb 21 2004, 02:44 AM
    I can smell a online league.....I have PS2....
    I talked to my brother Mavrik.....he already wants in.

MVP looks very promising. I love the additional features they've added to make it more of a sim. Last year was a good start but still a little too unrealistic. i played a season on all star and my whole team batted over .350.

You forgot another cool feature. The ability to charge the mound lol.

Hall Of Fame
    Originally posted by JetsMan57@Feb 21 2004, 03:51 PM
    No way!!!!!!

I gotta get this game.

I'll play against Clemens and charge the mound everytime.

Originally posted by The Gun Of Bavaria+Feb 21 2004, 03:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Gun Of Bavaria @ Feb 21 2004, 03:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JetsMan57@Feb 21 2004, 03:51 PM
    No way&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

[/b][/quote]
    YES WAY&#33;

All Pro
    Usually High Heat is the best baseball game going lately, (I too, loved the Triple Play up until maybe 2 years ago) but this will definitely make me give MVP a look.

Originally posted by Jetsacuse@Feb 21 2004, 03:49 PM
    Usually High Heat is the best baseball game going lately, (I too, loved the Triple Play up until maybe 2 years ago) but this will definitely make me give MVP a look.
    I also love High Heat...it was a better game than triple play.

My favorite part was the farm system ,so to see EA doing it is really exciting...I love their franchise/dynasty modes....this should be a great game.

All Pro
    You guys are missing by far the greatest part of MVP 2004: classic stadiums. That&#39;s right. That means us Tiger fans will get to play games in our beloved Tiger Stadium onec again. I&#39;m giddy just thinking about it. Definitely down for an online league. I will completely wreck everyone who faces me.

Originally posted by Mavrik@Feb 21 2004, 06:16 PM
    You guys are missing by far the greatest part of MVP 2004: classic stadiums. That&#39;s right. That means us Tiger fans will get to play games in our beloved Tiger Stadium onec again. I&#39;m giddy just thinking about it. Definitely down for an online league. I will completely wreck everyone who faces me.
    When i posted this thread it was seeing the tiger stadium higlight that made me think of you guys and that why i posted it here..

Im down for a league...just so you know...i will dominate you.

All Pro
    Originally posted by Smizzy+Feb 21 2004, 06:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smizzy @ Feb 21 2004, 06:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mavrik@Feb 21 2004, 06:16 PM
    When i posted this thread it was seeing the tiger stadium higlight that made me think of you guys and that why i posted it here..

Im done for a league...justs o you know...i will dominate you. [/b][/quote]

If there is a league I will definetly be in it. Also

That can&#39;t be for real, but if it is where did you read that?

gamespot.com

GS: How did you approach this year&#39;s version of MVP? What were some of the key elements you wanted to include or improve?

BN: The approach to this year&#39;s version of MVP Baseball (2004) was really centered around a theme of "unfinished business" and "building on a great foundation." We were absolutely thrilled with being able to create a game that relaunched EA into the baseball business, and now we were excited about the prospects of having an entire cycle to build on a great new game engine. We had three key design objectives when we set out to create MVP 2004: authenticity, depth, and innovation. We wanted to continue to drive to a very authentic baseball experience while at the same time still making it fun and accessible. We have really been focusing on the key deficiencies in last year&#39;s game like fielding, user-controlled dives, slides and catches, and getting even more baseball elements in there like wild pitches, passed balls, dropped third strikes, check-swing hits, pitcher warm-ups, mound charges, and so on and so on. Secondly, there were certain sacrifices we needed to make last year in rewriting the game, so we really wanted to drive hard at feature depth and content. Our new engine allows us to drive to a level of content and depth I have not seen before in an iterative sports title. This game is as deep a sports product as I have ever seen. And finally, continuing to drive innovation in gameplay and features that is still desperately needed in the category.

Jetman thanks for that, I can&#39;t wait to charge the mound against Pedro.

No problem 10.

One gameplay area that EA must fix is their AI pitching in terms of when they take pitchers out. So many times last year when I was playing a season the AI&#39;s starter would be pitching like a 2 hitter against me and they would take him out after the 5th or 6th inning. On top of that if i played a 4 game series against a particular team they would pitch one releiver in all 4 games. Lastly, it was kind of easy to hit the good pitchers, i knocked pedro out in the 3rd inning 4 times in a row.... They have to improve that.

All Pro
    That mound charging reminds of the old SEGA games, I think it was RBI Baseball, where you could throw spitballs. That was SO funny. :lol: