Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedro Speaks

Maxman
    From the NY Daily News:

Pedro's ready
    for Bombers

Pedro Martinez says he can't wait to try to turn tables on Yankees.

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Before starting his 2004 season, Pedro Martinez did his best to put 2003 behind him.
    Talking about his Game 7 flop and his Don Zimmer flap in Game 3, Martinez held court upon reporting to Red Sox spring training.

He also said the Yanks are the team to beat, but he wants that to change.

"I hope ... we are the team to beat," Martinez said yesterday, "but I don't want to say it. I want to do it."

Martinez, who said he wants to stay in Boston after his contract runs out this season, cleared up what happened when ex-manager Grady Little allowed him stay in Game 7 of the ALCS.

"I was asked a question (by Little) whether I wanted to pitch to (Hideki) Matsui," Martinez said. "If you ask me if I could pitch to Matsui again, I would say, 'Yes.' I would never say 'No,' because I'm paid to do that for nine innings and there's no one to blame," he added, "but that was the question. I wasn't really insisting on staying in the game. I was a little bit scared to leave the game, but it really wasn't my decision."

As for his tossing Zimmer to the ground, Martinez said, "I didn't do anything wrong. I was trying to protect the man, and he kind of tried to punch me so I had to let him go," Martinez said. "I was aware, totally aware, that I did not want to hurt the man."

During the melee, Martinez pointed to his head while jawing with Jorge Posada. He said it meant he would remember Posada's remarks - not that he would hit someone with a pitch.

"He mentioned my mama's name," Martinez said, "in a bad way."

"Game 7 is over," he said. "We just competed with a good team. They won. We lost. We'll just try again this year."

Maxman
    That line really makes me laugh. So Pedro is telling on Jorge for a Mama joke. This is good stuff. This Boston - NY rivalry has never been any better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. Has there ever been this level of anticipation between these 2?

Speaking for the Red Sox I thought both Pedro and Nomar had good days with the media yesterday. They were candid, upbeat, and looking very forward to this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Feb 25 2004, 02:28 PM
    Speaking for the Red Sox I thought both Pedro and Nomar had good days with the media yesterday. They were candid, upbeat, and looking very forward to this year.
    Ya, but at the end of the day, they're both still complete douchebags.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget the regular season. Lets go straight to the ALCS.

Maxman
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Feb 25 2004, 02:28 PM

Scottish:
    Nomar handled the whole thing with 100% class. AROD going to the Yankees actually makes Nomar's life easier. If that was still hangining over his head it would have been rougher.

But Nomar joked that Millar owes him dinner and invited all the reporters. Millar screwed up big time, Nomar let him off the hook.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman@Feb 25 2004, 03:18 PM

But Nomar joked that Millar owes him dinner and invited all the reporters. Millar screwed up big time, Nomar let him off the hook.
    You are right, Millar did. I wish he'd keep his trap shut. But it is water under the bridge, and Millar was awesome lastnight on Fox Sports New England live from Fort Myers. The only beef that may still linger is between Nomar and the guys who write the contracts for players. Nomar says he wants to stay, we'll see if the Red Sox want to keep him. Paying more than $15M a year may be a little pricey, but I see them locking up Nomar before Lowe so perhaps there will be $$$ to spend.

Regardless, the Sox team is in awesome shape and the morale remains sky-high.

Maxman
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Feb 25 2004, 04:00 PM
    Regardless, the Sox team is in awesome shape and the morale remains sky-high.
    Of course they are feeling good. They haven't lost to the Yankees yet. LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    SJ - I am curious what price Nomar is going to get. I think it is closer to Manny money. He turned down at least 15 million per season already. I think it is more. I believe Jeter makes around 17 miilion and we all know Namor is the best SS in the AL now.

Maxman
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Feb 25 2004, 08:51 PM
    SJ - I am curious what price Nomar is going to get. I think it is closer to Manny money. He turned down at least 15 million per season already. I think it is more. I believe Jeter makes around 17 miilion and we all know Namor is the best SS in the AL now.
    The market has come down. He won't see anything near 15 million.

I think the highest offer he gets is to play 2nd base for the Yankees at 12 million per year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nomar will be offered a 3 year $48M contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 25 2004, 03:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Feb 25 2004, 03:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ScottishJet@Feb 25 2004, 02:28 PM

Scottish:
    Nomar handled the whole thing with 100% class. AROD going to the Yankees actually makes Nomar&#39;s life easier. If that was still hangining over his head it would have been rougher.

But Nomar joked that Millar owes him dinner and invited all the reporters. Millar screwed up big time, Nomar let him off the hook. [/b][/quote]
    Agree there also.

Nomar has the hammer over the BoSox&#39;s heads now. With Tajeda signed for the long term in Balt., and Jeter and A-Rod in NY for the long term, Nomar is the best available after 2004. Sox will have to pony up to keep him. I&#39;m sure that he will not give a home town discount, not after the way he was treated this off-season.

Next off-season is going to be real interesting for the Sox. Nomar, Ortiz, Lowe, Veritek and Pedro, among a couple of others, are all free agents. Talk about pick and choose.

Maxman
    Originally posted by ScottishJet@Feb 25 2004, 10:19 PM
    Nomar will be offered a 3 year &#036;48M contract.
    I hope they tie up 16 per year in Nomar. I really do.

But Tejada just signed for 12 million per year. It is a different market now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish Nomar would sign for 16 million per year, but seriously doubt it. He is better then Jeter. Now that LA has gotten rid of Brown&#39;s salary they have a little more flexibility and could sign Nomar to an 18, 19 or 20 contract. The market has changed, but not for the Top 5%.

The Orioles have yet to proove the spend wisely. Te-Jeter has some pop, but hardly hits for average and his defense is average.

Maxman
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Feb 26 2004, 01:50 PM
    I wish Nomar would sign for 16 million per year, but seriously doubt it. He is better then Jeter. Now that LA has gotten rid of Brown&#39;s salary they have a little more flexibility and could sign Nomar to an 18, 19 or 20 contract. The market has changed, but not for the Top 5%.

The Orioles have yet to proove the spend wisely. Te-Jeter has some pop, but hardly hits for average and his defense is average.
    Well Nomar is not better then Jeter but I am not going there again. Nomar also shouldn&#39;t make as much as Jeter. Jeter was rewarded for being part of so many Championship teams.

Regardless the market has come down. If Boston gives him that much cake they are silly.

The market has not changed for the top 5%? Look at Sheff&#39;s contract coming off a monster year. Tejada isn&#39;t in the top 5%?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by PFSIKH@Feb 26 2004, 01:50 PM

The market ha s changed for everyone. Vlad couldn&#39;t get 15 million a season. Tejeda gets only 12 million, etc. Nomar may not get more then 14 or 15 million, and George may be the only one to offer that.

Even Puljois only got 14 million a year, and he&#39;s 23 (or 25, or 27, etc..... B) ). It&#39;s a different economic structure, for everyone, including the stars.

Maxman
    Originally posted by mbn007+Feb 27 2004, 09:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mbn007 @ Feb 27 2004, 09:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--PFSIKH@Feb 26 2004, 01:50 PM

The market ha s changed for everyone. Vlad couldn&#39;t get 15 million a season. Tejeda gets only 12 million, etc. Nomar may not get more then 14 or 15 million, and George may be the only one to offer that.

Even Puljois only got 14 million a year, and he&#39;s 23 (or 25, or 27, etc..... B) ). It&#39;s a different economic structure, for everyone, including the stars. [/b][/quote]
    But Nomar is the greatest player of all time. I think the Sox should give him a 253 million dollar deal. This way he can be the highest paid since he is the best.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Maxman+Feb 27 2004, 11:05 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maxman @ Feb 27 2004, 11:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -mbn007@Feb 27 2004, 09:06 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--PFSIKH
    @Feb 26 2004, 01:50 PM

Even Puljois only got 14 million a year, and he&#39;s 23 (or 25, or 27, etc..... B) ). It&#39;s a different economic structure, for everyone, including the stars.
    But Nomar is the greatest player of all time. I think the Sox should give him a 253 million dollar deal. This way he can be the highest paid since he is the best. [/b][/quote]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Max - The Sox attempted to give him less, but he turned it down. Factor in them openly going for A-Rod, I doubt his price comes down, for the Sox. I think there is a Boston price and a everyone else price. Maybe the Dodgers can sign him for a 14-15 million per year contract, but I think he gets more.

mbn - Like I said, Te-Jeter is not worth anymore then 12 million per. He is the Kingman of SS. Aome power, but little average or defense. As far as Vlad goes, I think his back problems drove down the price and if Boston or NY got in the bidding, he would have scored more money.

It is collusion damm it.

Maxman
    I have to say I agree with your statement. Their is a Boston price and an everyone else price. So I am sure Boston will work it out with him and I hope it costs them a ton.